Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Tangled ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Tangled”
 
Disclaimer!: I don't own Azumanga Daioh (owned by Azuma Kiyoshi, I believe) or the songs in it.
Pairings: Decided. I don't really favor any of the pairings I'm choosing but I do what I can for my beloved reviewers.
New Summary: Azumanga combined with cruel reality. How much can go wrong with the girl's last week as seniors? We're about to find out… what can go wrong in one day? See below. Each chapter shows insight into a different character's past. Possible character death.
Brief Note: If you like trying out new pairings, read my profile for crack pairings by ME AND Ryuu Masken, writer of “Luminous Heart”.
 
 
My memory…
 
My dreams…
 
Make them go away… by any means.
 
The sky black with a midnight's hue
 
Matching my mood - Darker than blue.
 
Chapter 2 - Run… Faster to Disaster
 
Sakaki, Osaka, and Kagura
 
Kagura ran with Osaka wobbling close behind. She had to get away… away from her friends, away from her dysfunctional family, away from the bitter-sweetness of the love she'll never have and truly hates. Sakaki Kiyoshi. At first glance she was everything Kagura wanted and more - a smart, sexy, athletic, young woman with an air of mystery who couldn't give a fuck about what fan-girls that idolized her wanted. But deep down she was what Kagura couldn't stand, besides Kaorin who rivaled her more than anyone else in her quest for Sakaki's heart. Sakaki was a little girl who loved kittens and plushies and sweets. Pure innocence yet hating everything Kagura would have loved about her. Yet Kagura wanted her, lusted for her like a cat in heat and loved her as if she was the only one left in the world. She wanted to make Sakaki love her, force every bit down on her, see her become strong. She wanted Sakaki to be what she thought she was - “Lone Wolf”. Panther. Anything but the mewling little kitten in the rain, helpless and alone.
 
She was alone… helpless.
 
Before Yukari's class that was all that she was. Sure, she was considered by most a star athlete, a butch-tomboy, and to boys (and even a few girls apparently) a sexy tan girl. But under it was nothing. She sucked in literary skills. She was the smartest out of the Numbnuts unless you counted Osaka's overlooked genius. She knew next to no English, failed almost every math test ever given…. The only thing she was good at was P.E. and who knew for sure if she'd really be good enough to be a star athlete? What if she's only second best in the school and not good enough to play for the team of anyone everywhere else? Not to mention the above all fact that despite it she was female and there were sexist male coaches who despite her exceptional skill would not allow her to play for them.
 
She was trapped in a world of assholes and weaklings.
 
Assholes like her mother and weaklings like her father.
 
When she was small she had a fairly happy life. Her father and her would always watch sports, with him training her with a look of pride as she excelled. He always looked so strong there. She had next to no relationship with her mother who found Kagura's interests much to her chagrin. She often scolded her father, claiming she should behave as a proper young lady and not as though she was a `flamboyant, rowdy, little boy'. She said she was bound to turn out interested in girls instead of boys like she should. Kagura snorted, doubting that her becoming what Sakaki or Chihiro were would change her sexuality. She found it amazing though that her parents had managed to escape `til death did them part.
 
And death did do them part.
 
When Kagura was eight years old. Her dad had been acting differently for months, refusing to leave his bedroom, fighting with her mother more than usual (even physically), you name it. Then one day when Kagura got home from school went up to his room, excited to show him that for once she had passed everything on her report card as she had promised she would, and saw him laying on the floor. Kagura, assuming he had been tired from his double shift the previous night and had fallen asleep and fell off his bed without noticing, walked over, happily shaking him only to not receive any response whatsoever. Confused, she addressed him again, reaching out for his hand, only to feel something wet on and beneath it. She stared at her owns tiny hands to find blood all over them, a knife in his other hand.
 
He abandoned her, leaving this world for the better life while she was forced to endure her bitch of a mother.
 
That's when she became the Lone Wolf. The Panther. The Kaguar. (Yes Kaguar. Not a typo though it originally was. See profile.)
 
“Kag'ra-saaaaaaaaaaaaan!”
 
The short-haired runner turned her head around, gasping as the stumbling Osakan somehow caught up with her, falling and dragging her down with her, both hitting their heads too hard on the ground, passing out. Despite the poor situation, both looked rather peaceful laying there, Osaka's arm draped over Kagura's body, her hand on her head with fingers knotted into the taller woman's brown hair, the `high school super-star' snoring silently.
 
When Sakaki arrived on the scene she let out a gasp, her eyes wide. It had been about 20 minutes but the position had changed very much. Kagura lay on top of Osaka, her head snuggled into the smaller girl's chest, Osaka's arm around Kagura neck, the other sprawled over her own head. Their legs were tangled, the strap of Osaka's yellow sun-dress fallen off her shoulder. It was like one of those magnificent paintings she's seen hanging on the walls of a museum.
 
`She certainly isn't crying now…' Sakaki blushed at how adorable the two looked together. The more she thought about it, the more a perfect contrast it was.
 
Oh, of course Sakaki had been aware Kagura's crush. To her, it was nearly as obvious as Kaorin's. Unfortunately, as much as Sakaki loved Kagura, it wasn't that sort of affection. Sakaki was mature, and needed someone who truly knew her - something neither Kagura nor Kaorin did. There was only one person out there who knew and accepted her true self, and it would be quiet awhile before they were able to be together, if she felt the same.
 
Still, she smiled and lifted them both, setting them on a bench, careful not to disturb them. Unhappy with the sloppiness in comparison to their romantic position minutes ago she redecorated, as she had with the Necoconeco doll on Osaka's head. Finally pleased with her work she smiled. “Kawaii desu…”
 
Osaka's head rested on Kagura's shoulder, Kagura's head against Osaka's. Their hands were intertwined on each other's laps, the remaining arms over each other's shoulders. Sakaki giggled behind her hand. Kagura would not be happy about this, but Sakaki felt she owed her for the unrequited love. It was not often the lone wolf got to play, and for now she was not a wolf, a cat, a panther, or anything else like this. She was a mischievous little fox. Sakaki had a playful inner child who wasn't as she as the young woman herself… and she were pleased.
 
Realizing she had left Kaorin and Chiyo alone, Sakaki gasped and rushed back leaving her match-made experiment in peace.
 
Tomo and Yomi
 
 
“Well? Hurry it up!!!” Tomo demanded, slamming her fist into the brick wall where she still had Yomi pinned.
 
Yomi whimpered at the blood on Tomo's hand, wincing at the torn and bruised skin, taking the still balled hand into her own, examining it like a doctor. “You're such an idiot, Tomo.” Tomo was about to go off on her against but stopped in place when the bespectacled brunette lapped her tongue at the wound like a kitten did at a saucer of cream. The wildcat's cheeks heated to redness beneath her eyes and over her nose, as the taller girl smiled. “Tomo, how could I have practically lived with you and your teasing and being obnoxious for so long without seriously killing you?” she smirked. Tomo gulped, blinking. “'Cause I'm so awesome?” She was hopelessly trying to gain her arrogance back. (A/N: Tomo Is becoming a Ryuu Masken wanna be? XD Sorry guys, only people who talk to him will understand this.)
 
Yomi's smug look didn't fade. She removed her glasses, leaning down to kiss the hyper girl on the lips, a pale blush on her own face. She pet Tomo's hair. “Nah. I just love having a wildcat idiot to baby-sit.” She said sarcastically, ducking beneath Tomo's still pinning arms and walking away, chin high.
 
Tomo stood there a few minutes before wailing her arms around frantically, chasing after Yomi. “BABY-SIT!?!?!?!?!” Yomi laughed heartily, running from her obvious new girlfriend.
 
Sakaki
 
Sakaki ran back towards the stuffed animal manor as fast as she could. She not only left Chiyo and Kaorin alone, but much to her worry her stuffed animals were left alone at the counter with Yukari-sensei. Her poor babies!!!!
 
As she ran the sound of hysterical crying was heard, loud and clear. She turned and walked into the alley it was coming from, slowly approaching the cause of it form its hiding place behind the dumpster. Sakaki gasped for what felt like the millionth time that day, at who it was. Chihiro sat their, hugging her knees to get chest, crying into her arms. She didn't seem to notice the older girl there. “Chihiro-san?”
 
The short-haired astronomer gasped eyes wide open as she stared up at Sakaki. She glared a little, her usually calm storm-blue gems filled with a refreshing anger. “Leave me alone.” She mumbled, shoving head down again. Instead of obeying her fan-girl's best friend she crouched down beside her, cocking her head to the side, reaching out a pale hand to rest on the girl's short back hair - nearly the opposite of her own thigh-length locks.
 
Chihiro stared, obviously madder. “You know if you didn't come and take Kaorin away from me, I wouldn't have had to fall in love with Kagura.”
 
Yukari and Nyamo
 
“Happy belated one, Nyamo~!” Yukari sang. The slightly older and much more mature woman stared over her gift. “Uhm, wow. This must've cost you a lot.”
 
“Yup! Sure did!”
 
She closed her eyes. “I see. But, can I ask you something?”
 
Holding her head high, looking almighty as usual she nodded. “Ask away!”
 
Thud.
 
“WHY WOULD YOU GET ME STUFFED ANIMALS, YUKARI!? AND A WHOLE MOUNTIAN OF THEM!?”
 
Yukari twitched. “Damn.” `If only I stole Kagura's shopping instead…'
 
Michiru, Yuka, Kaorin, and Chiyo
 
Michiru and Yuka walked inside the Stuffed Animal Manor, looking around for their friend. Chiyo had instructed them to come and meet her and a few of her friends here. They themselves were a little disappointed, for they had wanted to spend some alone time with the smarter girl but did not mind spending time with the cooler, older kids as well. If anyone from their Middle School saw them hanging out with them, especially Sakaki-san, their popularity points would shoot through the roof!
 
“Why do you think they wanted us to meet here?” Michiru asked.
 
Yuka smiled playfully yet arrogantly. “You're as much a baka as your aunt, Michi! Don't you remember? Chiyo said Sakaki-san was a huge lover over cute things.”
 
The short-haired tomboy grumbled. “You're an even bigger airhead than your aunt.”
 
Like with the Azu6, Chiyo had been the glue of the group that held Yuka and Michiru together. She had been their first friend and their best friend since preschool. Now that she was gone and barely saw them anymore, the two began to fight like their `older selves'.
 
Yuka was the girly, ultra-feminine snob, and because of her huge fascination with American culture, she had convinced Yukari to teach her English, so she was now a pro if she did say so herself. She loved looking pretty, rather than cute, getting dolled up - she'd do whatever the high school girls were doing with their hair and make-up, finding it unacceptable to be anything but cool. She wanted to be like Yukari was in her high school days, and like Sakaki was now.
 
Michiru, on the other hand, wanted to be more like her cousin Chihiro, or her aunt Minamo. She idolized Kagura, for her attitude, her strength, and her determination. She too was for the most part, a tomboy, and had no real interest in romance and despised make-up, dresses, and skirts. She'd probably dress like a boy and cut her hair like Chihiro's if her mother wasn't so dead-set against it.
 
The only thing the two seemed to have in common anymore was their age and their love of Chiyo.
 
The Yukari-Minamo clones `hmph!'ed and turned their head away from each other, eyes shut and noses high. They began to approach the Jungle area of the modern store, deciding Sakaki may have dragged Chiyo and Kaorin their in search of Iriomote Cat plushies.
 
What they found was what should never have happened to begin with.
 
In the corner sat Kaorin and Chiyo, huddles up in the warmth of each other arms, heads on each other's shoulders. The duo's jaws dropped. “NO WAY!!!”