Batman Fan Fiction ❯ Arkham Escapees ❯ Interlude ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's Note: This chapter is a necessary evil I call it. It's not as long as the others but it's necessary for what I have planned for our intrepid hero..
 
Enjoy.
 
Additional author's note at the bottom.
 
~*~*~
 
Interlude
 
Job Hunting
 
By Tobias
 
 
 
 
Dean Anderson's life had been very quiet before he moved to Gotham. He was a quiet, respectful, reliable man. He never missed work, got his homework assignments and papers done quickly, and helped his parents out without a word of complaint. He was the kind of man who you'd be shocked if he uttered heck after if he hit his thumb with a hammer. But now after living and working in Gotham for almost six months, not to mention sleeping with two extremely deadly supper villainesses, well…
 
“Well screw you too!” Dean screamed as he was tossed out literally on his ass. His box of personal effects skidded along the sidewalk to where he landed.
 
“I've had enough of your bullshit Dean. I can buy being too sick to call in once but twice? You're fired.” Jeff snarled, whirling around to storm past the security guards who were eying Dean warily. Dean got up from the ground and dusted himself off. He snatched his box off the ground and shoved it under one arm, heading down the block to the parking garage. He ignored some of the amused looks some of the passer bys were shooting him. He still had his pride damn it and he refused to have a break down in front of strangers. He'd do it at home, where no one could see him. He paused just long enough to snatch a newspaper from a vending machine before retrieving his car. He tossed his box into the passenger seat and sat down in the driver seat with a sigh. He shook his head. He should have known when he skipped last Friday to sleep with Poison Ivy that something like this would happen when he went back to work on Monday. But what was worse is that Friday was the merger with Wayne Enterprises, and he had missed meeting Mr. Wayne. Needless to say, he hadn't impressed Jeff with that stunt and he had been fired almost the instant he'd walked in this morning after the weekend. Jeff, being the shining example of why people hated their bosses, hadn't given a damn to any excuse Dean supplied.
 
Dean shook his head and snatched the newspaper he bought from his box, and decided to check for any job openings or open interviews he might be able to arrange with a well placed call before he headed back home. He sighed at Gotham Gazette's small Help Wanted section. He scanned it over and didn't see anything in his field. Most seemed to be adds for maintenance people and similar positions. One however did catch his eye. The location seemed familiar to him and while it might not have been the same as before Dean thought it might keep him occupied until he figured out what to do.
 
 
BARTENDER WANTED
MUST HAVE EXPIERENCE & AN OPEN MIND
GOOD PAY, GOOD BENEFITS
SEE MR. COBBLEPOT AT ICEBURG LOUNGE
MON THRU FRI, 11 TO NOON
 
~*~*~
 
After a lengthy breakfast at a diner, Dean made his way to the Iceberg Lounge. It seemed easy to find, everyone he asked for directions said it was in the middle of the city and he'd see it easy enough. Sure enough, as soon as Dean turned into Main Street he saw it. He quickly found an empty spot half a block away and parked. He made sure the meter was paid for two hours (just in case) and headed for the Lounge. He was surprised to find no one waiting outside by the doors. He tried them, but found it locked. He knocked; checking to make sure his clothes weren't too rumpled from his earlier spill when the front doors were unbolted. A huge, barrel of a man stepped out. Dean blinked and took a step back.
 
“Whut?” The man grumped. Dean nervously held up the paper, displaying the ad, which he had circled in bright red pen while he was eating breakfast.
 
“Um…I'm here about the ad.” Dean replied. The man rolled his eyes and stepped aside, holding the door open for Dean.
 
“In.” The huge man grumped. Dean hurried inside and looked around curiously. The place was huge, and spoke of class to Dean. There was a huge chunk of ice in a pool in the middle, and Dean blinked as he saw penguins that were frolicking in the pool.
 
“Terrance, who is this gentleman?” A distinguished, male voice said behind him. Dean turned around to greet the owner of said voice but his reply died off as soon as he saw him.
 
Dressed smartly in a tux, a monocle in one eye, and a using an umbrella as a walking stick, was The Penguin. Dean paled as he realized who exactly was the own of the Iceberg Lounge and why it sounded so familiar.
 
`I hate my life.' Dean mentally moaned.
 
“Said he's here fo' the bartendin' job boss.” The big man, Terrance, grunted.
 
“Ah! Excellent, I do hope you know more than the last fool I hired. Couldn't even make an Iceberg! Why it's the signature of this establishment!” The Penguin chuckled.
 
“Well, I did tend bar while I was in college, s-sir.” Dean replied. His mind had just settled on one glaring fact. The Penguin was now a legitimate business man.
 
“Excellent, excellent! Come upstairs to the bar and show me what you can do! If you impress me, you'll start tonight, Mr.-?”
 
“D-Dean, sir! Dean Anderson.” Dean followed the Penguin upstairs to the where the bar was located. It was a small raised area that ran the length of the club. There was a private dining table off to the left. It was obvious to Dean why it was there, this area looked over the entire club, and it would definitely be the owner's private table. The bar was rather nice itself, and was state of the art. On the opposite end of the balcony area was a piano setup with a small assortment of tables and chairs around it. The Penguin led Dean to the bar and gestured for him to move behind it. Dean complied.
 
“I must say, young man, you are better dressed then the others who applied for this position.” The Penguin commented.
 
“T-thank you sir. What did you want me to make?” Dean asked.
 
“You can call me boss or Mr. Cobblepot my boy.” Penguin said. “Get familiar with the bar and then I'll test you on how fast you can make drinks correctly.”
 
“Yes Mr. Cobblepot.” Dean said, taking off his jacket and rolling up his sleeves. He glanced around and began to get familiar with the bar. When he was done, Penguin began immediately ordering numerous drinks. Dean complied, easily falling into old rhythms from his college days. He moved quickly and efficiently, and as he fell into the groove, he couldn't help but show off a bit. He twirled a vodka bottle before pouring a line of drinks and tossed the lemon slices landing them perfectly in the drinks that needed them. He stepped back and turned to look at the Penguin. The Penguin was rubbing his chin, smirking.
 
“I must say, you certainly have the experience from working in a club. I would be happy to hire you. I have to warn you though, I have only one other bartender so you will be working long hours. I do give two days off however and pay excellently for good work.”
 
“I'd be happy to take the job, sir.”
 
“Excellent! Now let's go to my office and-“
 
“PENGY!”
 
Both men jolted and turned to the stairs, just to see a woman with bright blonde hair in casual jeans and dark red t-shirt leap at the Penguin, grabbing him in a hug.
 
“Harley?” both men said in shock. Said woman looked up to stare at Dean who was watching in shock.
 
“SWEETIE!” Harley cried in an even louder voice. Giving no mind to the Penguin, who she was clinging too, she pushed away from him to leap over the counter. Dean barely had enough time for his face to change from surprise to shock as Harley barreled into him. They crashed to the floor behind the bar out of sight.
 
“Well, this is an interesting coincidence.” A woman's amused voice said from the stairs. Penguin turned to see Poison Ivy walking up the stairs, dressed in her usually clothing but with a light tan trench coat on and a wide brown hat to cover her bright red hair. “I didn't know you knew Dean, Oswald.”
 
“Well, I just met him a bit ago. He was applying for the bartending position.” The Penguin replied. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully and did his best to ignore the loud kissing sounds Harley was making behind his bar. “A friend of yours Pamela?”
 
“Of sorts.” Ivy said vaguely. She leaned over the bar to look at the two who had disappeared behind it. “Harley, leave Dean alone for a minute. We need to speak with Oswald, remember?”
 
“Aw, do I haffta?” Harley voice said, disappointed.
 
“Yes, we can talk to him later.” Ivy said, leaning back. Harley giggled before popping back into view. Without her makeup and costume it was hard for those who didn't know her well to connect this woman with the crazy girlfriend of Batman's most notorious and dangerous enemy.
 
“Hi Pengy!” Harley said, hopping onto the bar. She crossed her legs at her heels and began to swing them happily.
 
“Harley, I heard you made it out of Arkham a few months ago.” Penguin said. He glanced to the right of Harley to see his new bartender shakily pull himself up. He had numerous red lipstick kisses planted on his face and seemed shaken, but happy.
 
“Yup, yup! And Red got out a few days ago too! So we need some supplies! Puddin's last place is empty and I'm not talking to him, not after he left me out of the part at Arkham!”
 
“Are you sure we should be having this conversation in front of certain people?” Penguin asked, glancing at Dean who was scrubbing the lipstick off with a towel.
 
“We trust Dean.” Ivy said simply. Harley nodded vigorously, as said man blushed.
 
“Yeah! Sweetie helped us both out!”
 
“Really?” Penguin said rubbing his chin again as he looked at the man again. Dean fidgeted, his face cleaning finished.
 
“Is there anything else sir?” Dean asked.
 
“No Dean. Why don't you come back tomorrow and we'll finish your paperwork.” Penguin replied. Dean nodded, and set his towel by the dozens of drinks he had made, one of which Ivy had taken to sip.
 
“See you tomorrow sir. I'll see you ladies later.” Dean said, grabbing his jacket.
 
“Stop by the greenhouse on Tuesday after your done here Dean. Ivy told him. Dean paused, blushing, but nodded.
 
“I think I'll stop by too then!” Harley chirped. Dean seemed to pale and blush at the same time at Harley's statement. He gave them a final goodbye and hurried down the stairs. All three super villains watched him go before Penguin turned back to look at the two women.
 
“This I must here. Tell me how you met this young man.” Penguin demanded. Ivy smiled, as did Harley.
 
“Only if you swear not to tell Puddin!” Harley said.
 
The Penguin nodded eagerly.
 
It was time to learn all he could about his newest employee.
 
~*~*~
 
Author's Post Note: I know no sex but trust me, this sets up so many opportunities for our intrepid hero. I hope you guys liked it. More to come, this next chapter will have some nice fun. And just in case you're worried, no this will never, ever contain guy/guy stuff. Just girl/guy and girl/girl.
 
Later!
 
~Toby