Batman Fan Fiction ❯ Second Sight ❯ Secind Sight ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Welcome to the show, this takes place during batmans return to crime fighting in the events that lead up to batman beyonds first episode and after the events of Ghost in the shell sac season 1.
 
I DO NOT OWN BATMAN OR GSSAC. But I wish I did.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 1
Second Sight
 
 
Once fear was enough. Only those days were in the past. Long before Batman hung his cape for the last time, vowing to never again fly as the bat. Those days were easier he thought to himself, his point seemingly being proven as his captive spat in his face.
 
Reaction replaced fear as his new greatest weapon unpredictability replacing cold calculated movements. The world had grown into such a hurry that instant gratification was even to slow. He pulled the man to within an inch of his face grimacing. The man lay suspended one hundred and twenty three floors above what had once been crime alley.
 
What had once been the street where his mother and father were murdered so long ago now resided down the center of a sky scrapper, even the theater was gone. “Last chance, I have no time for this game.” Batman swung him out into the air and the man began to scream with laughter.
 
On his closest approach back to the building he grabbed the grapple line swiftly pulled a bat-a-rang from his recently modified utility belt and removed more than half the width of the rope.
 
“What the hell are you doing?” the man cried out in a sudden fear. Turning Batman smiled to himself. Finally fear.
 
“The line should hold for another few minutes, its been fun but I have places to be.” He started to walk away. And with a snap the grapple gave way and batman turned leaping over the side of the building. He clicked his heals together activating his newest feature. Miniature rockets mounted to the souls of his shoes. Quickly he caught up with the plummeting man and scooped him back up to the roof top.
 
He pulled the lying man to him snarling and spitting with each word. “How are they doing it? How are they seeing into there eyes?” The man was flush white and trembling in a cold sweat. Fear.
 
“I don't know what there called but its some sort of new shit out of Japan.” He cried out.
 
“Where are they coming from!”
 
“I told you bat Japan its all that I know, im just a hired hand im a nobody they wont tell me!”
 
“Then who is shipping them into my city!” batman emphasized this last point the loudest.
 
“Some new guy, he's some sort of tech genius.”
 
“Who is he! And where will I find him?”
 
“His name is…..” he was cut of by loud popping sound, blood squirted from his ears as his eyes turned a deep black. Batman let go of the limp man as smoke began to pour from his ears. Damn.
 
This case he had taken as a side project, a lul in between gang wars. It was now his greatest priority.
 
 
 
 
After the events of the cataclysm that destroyed Gotham so long ago Wayne Corp. was more than happy to help rebuild, forgive debts and give Gotham a second chance. This also allowed for Bruce Wayne's company to create edit and accidentally loose most of the blue prints to the buildings in the greater Gotham area.
 
Batman now traveled through one of the secret tunnels that would have been widely know about had some absent minded employee not shredded the only copies of the blue prints.
 
This particular tunnel leads from the old abandoned subway system to the Thomas Wayne memorial Hospital. This hospital also doubled as the coroners office and the autopsy had just been completed on the nameless man whose had died in batman's arms the day previous.
 
Over the last day Batman had fallowed several leads to the Powers tech world head quarters. All dead ends. According to hacked files they found something in his brain that they could not explain. He was on his way now to find exactly what it was.
 
Up a ladder into the ventilation system, he activated one of his newest toys. The cloaking device would hide him from any motion sensors or prying eyes.
 
Quietly he dropped the vent out of place and slid into the room. A HUD, Head up display scrolled information into his cowl letting him know which locker held which body and if they were empty. In True Gotham style each was full.
 
Cold storage locker b19 held the body in question. Doe, John was typed on the front. It opened with a dull click and slid out releasing a small plum of super cooled air.
 
He lay there peacefully, had someone not know the difference this man could wake up at any minute. His file lay on the outside of the locker and Batman opened it removing a small data chip that he loaded into a jack on his belt. The chip was Wayne Corp design, made to be compatible with most systems. Soon he feared Wayne's waning corporate share would bring an influx of Powers Techs, preparatory devices.
 
He quickly found what he was looking for on the disk and replaced them in there slot, he closed the locker and turned.
 
Across the room in locker bc95 held the mans personal belongings as well as the un known item found. This locker would be more difficult to access being that it was protected by a digital lock. Batman pressed a small switch connecting him with the network in his cave. He navigated the display with his eyes. The code is 5-5-9-2-6-a-e-i-u. the locker opened exposing the contents, three bags two small and one large filled the space. The first baggy marked A1 contained jewelry an empty wallet and cell phone. Packet b1 contained a small vile of thread chips, an illegal digital drug. Once in contact with the skin it would release a programmed amount of chemical similar to the neuro agent once employed by the scare crow.
 
The larger bag held clothing. The item was missing, even though it showed on the manifest for this locker. He turned scanning the room then headed to a microscope positioned in the center of the room. He lifted a set of hand written notes on John Doe, the item in question of unknown make and design had burnt itself out. Though they had found it at the base of the visual center of the brain. Batman removed a pair of tweezers from his belt and removed the item from under the microscope.
 
He began to look the small device over zooming in with his cowl sensors.
 
A crash came from the back of the room. “OH! OH! EL DIABLO!” A small round woman screamed and ran from the room. He looked down at his hand. Damn it. His cloak failed.
 
Batman dropped the device into a vile and pocketed it into his utility belt. He need some privacy in the presence of the Oracle.
 
 
He opened his eyes to the complete void of nothing. The avatar floated freely in the confined emptiness. He tested his limbs one after another each moved with out resistance. Though no resistance was met to move him.
 
A light appeared flashing the black briefly to a bright white. Three cloaked figures walked into the void. Suddenly he found himself righted. His weight pushing him down. The first figure removed his hood and spoke. Only no words came out as his world shook violently, blue bolts of lighting crawled all around him. The air became static each breath burned.
 
The second removed his hood and again as he spoke no words only streams of bright green ones and zeros. Finally the third fallowed suit his voice was a deep shrill screeched.
 
He dared not move. To do so would dishonor the magi, as they called forth the Oracle. Finally the sounds and lights stopped though the rumbling continued. He lowered to one knee and bowed his head.
 
The oracle he knew was an elite group of hackers who never truly realized what they had. But batman as the Avatar Mr. B had called on them more than once before. This graphic ceremony was there way of deciding who was worthy of there time.
 
“Rise” a voice boomed as the shacking stopped.
 
He rose to see a giant free floating eye.
 
“speak of questions, great and small answers of truth or the unworthy shall fall.”
 
“I have found something.” Batman raised his arm and a square image appeared with a diagram of the device with special notice to a serial number and a model.
 
The magi sprang into heated discussion. Batman could never figure out how many people actually made up the Oracle, some evidence pointed to only one, but this display always seemed to require more. Windows opened up around the eye with data flashing across names dates images, until finally they each showed the device, article spec sheet sales brochures.
 
“Interceptors in America, outlawed such technology is.” The eye spoke. “Many questions I see you have,” it began to explain the history of the Serano Corporation in Japan and the new technology that allowed police to tap into criminals and fight crime in a never before heard of way. Only they had been used criminally since day one the police implanting them in there own. That is until a group called section 9 was able to prove this.
 
“Where did you find such a thing Mr.B,” the eye asked.
 
“Some one died today trying to give information on a new form of entertainment in Gotham, people are able to jack into the minds of celebrities and see what goes on. Many have learned of this but are afraid of what has been seen.”
 
“Who.” Batman puzzled over the question.
 
“I do not know oh great Oracle.”
 
“the answers then must be found from start to finish.”
 
He knew what this meant. Bruce Wayne was about to make an unscheduled inspection of his Japanese holdings.
 
“Fly true.” The eye said before the room closed and he found himself alone on the roof of a Powers Tech building. Sometimes he thought maybe the Oracle knew even more than he thought.