Battle Athletes Fan Fiction ❯ Pariah ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Battle Athletes is owned by AIC/Pioneer and the original creators. This is based on the OAV series.


Pariah

by Vosburg



My room slowly comes into focus as I awaken.

I look once again at the dozen or so minor flaws; I’ve done so each day I’ve been here.

The mirror slightly out of alignment with its frame. Small cracks in the walls. Nothing glaringly obvious, but flaws that a first class hotel would have repaired at the earliest opportunity.

But this isn’t a first class hotel...at least, not anymore.

A few months ago, I wouldn’t have given this place a second
glance, much less considered staying in it.

Then again, a few months ago, I could afford to snub any place or person that I felt was below my station. That is no longer the case.

Now, I must take whatever living quarters I can persuade someone to give me, for whatever length of time they are willing to let me stay.

I sit up, noting the time: 8:00 am - well past the time I usually rise.

If I were still on the Satellite, I would have been in my third hour
of training by now. Sleeping this long would have been inexcusable.

Not that it matters anymore. I have no training to do nowadays.

I rest my head against my knees, and pull the blanket around my shoulders.

There is so much I have to do, and yet I cannot seem to find the energy even to leave the bed.

I hear a knock at the door; tentative, as if the person knocking is frightened that I’ll hear. I do not answer, fearful of the reason for the intrusion. I hunch my shoulders, pulling the blanket tighter around myself.

Another knock, more insistent this time.

I have no choice but to reply. “Yes?”

“Ms. Walder?” The hotel manager, I think. His voice is unsteady, hesitant.

“Yes, what is it?” I think I already know.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, but there have...ah...been complaints from some of the other tenants. I know that you have done nothing that violates the rules of this hotel, but we must consider the satisfaction of our guests as a whole. While this is unpleasant for me to say...I regret that I will have to ask you to make...other arrangements for your housing...by Saturday, at the latest.”

It does not come as a surprise that he has asked me to leave, not after my experiences these past couple of months. Still, I would have liked to stay a little longer – no, that’s not right. I would have liked not to have to move - again - for a little longer.

But, what can I say? If I refuse, the police will surely be called. Given my current reputation, they will doubtless side with the manager.

“Ms. Walder?”

“I heard you. I’m to leave by Saturday.” My voice is flat, devoid of emotion.

“Thank you. I’m sorry about this...”

Small consolation that is.

I barely notice the sound of his retreating footsteps. My thoughts are
already turning to finding another hotel, or boarding house, or...somewhere...that I can stay for a few days.

My head slumps onto my knees. I think again on how far I have fallen.

Not three months ago, I was known to the public as Mylandah the Swift, Mylandah the Conqueror, Mylandah the Fighting Maiden of France.

Now, I am known as Mylandah the horrible. Mylandah the treasonous.
Mylandah Arkar Walder, the National Disgrace, who was expelled during the
Great Competition, with countless cameras carrying the news to every human-inhabited planet, satellite, and colony.

The country that once revered me, now abhors me.

Yet, with all that has happened to me, with all my problems, it is still
the same thought that comes back to me, over and over.

Why, Lahrri?

Why wouldn’t you look at me?





Notes: ‘Pariah’ is sort of a ‘continuation’ story. I wondered what life must have been like for Mylandah after she returned to Earth, given the events of the last two episodes.