Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 49

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own BeyBlade or Yugioh. I own: Serena, Nicole, Antonio, SnowLeopard, Dragonia, and anything else that is not BeyBlade or Yugioh. Kelsey, Angie, and Joe own themselves. Yamura belongs to Laura. Austin belongs to Austin, though in name and looks only. Everything else about him I made up.
 
Telepathy
/Serena/
//Kai//
[Max]
::blah:: or {blah}- bitbeast
 
Thoughts or songs- in italics
Flashbacks- in bolded italics
Talking in Russian -bolded
 
 
 
Chapter 49
 
Serena stood outside the Spinning Top Hobby Store. The limo had already left, and Nicole was probably back at her apartment. Serena sighed.
 
Time to face them.
 
The door slid open before her. Inside the store, it was quiet. No one was buying anything and Mr. Tate wasn't waiting for anyone to enter. There was a door in the back of the store with a sign on it that read `Authorized Personnel Only.' There were no other doors and Serena knew that her father was the only one who worked in the shop. Serena reached for the knob; but it swung open before she could touch it.
 
“Serena!” Serena was knocked to the ground as Max tackled her again.
 
“Hi Max,” said Serena breathlessly, trying to fill her lungs with air.
 
Tyson and Ray picked up Serena's bags as Max got off Serena.
 
“You don't need to do that.”
 
Tyson and Ray ignored her and traveled through the door and up some stairs. Max led Serena to a room farther back, which might have been a living room, had all the boxes been unpacked. The others were sitting on various pieces of furniture. There was an uncomfortable silence, even when Tyson and Ray came back in. It wasn't until Mr. Tate came in that there was talking; and that was only Mr. Tate lecturing Serena about running away.
 
At least my friends have the sense to be quiet.
 
With a final word, Mr. Tate went back into the kitchen. Everyone in the room wouldn't look at each other. All of a sudden, everyone started apologizing. They stopped, and then started laughing.
 
“You guys don't need to apologize. I've already forgiven you. I'm the one who needs to apologize. If I hadn't kept so many secrets-” Serena stopped as Tyson held up his hand.
 
“We-I mean-I-” Tyson changed what he was going to say at a glare from Hilary, “-need to apologize. I should have realized that there must be very good reasons for you to keep secrets. Just because you were secretive, it didn't mean you were a spy.”
 
Serena looked around the room. The others were nodding. “No. I also need to apologize. No, I really do,” said Serena as Ray opened his mouth. “I do need to open up about things that are important. But I keep my promises. If someone made me promise not to tell anyone something, I won't. You guys have every right to know my past though. I mean, I know a little about you and your pasts; but you don't know mine.”
 
“What made you change your mind? Would you really tell us about your past?” asked Kenny.
 
Serena nodded. “I want the trust between us to come back. I want you all to understand what I've gone through and to be who I am and where I am today. I just have a favor to ask. When I start telling my tale, don't interrupt. I just want to get through it, without having to stop from time to time.”
 
“You're going to tell us now? Right after you came back?” asked Max.
 
“Now is the best time,” Serena went and sat where the others could see her. She took a deep breath and began.
 
“My life at Biovolt was terrible. Everyday it was the same: wake up at three in the morning, be drilled in blading, be bullied every possible moment, go to bed at midnight. It went on forever. Until I gained enough strength to fight back, I pulled pranks. Pulling pranks was the only entertainment in my life. Sure I got beat up afterwards, but it was worth it. It didn't seem like my life could get worse. I was wrong. I was 13 when I found out Boris had plans for me.” Serena paused to gather her thoughts, then continued. “I wasn't that strong a blader; but I was up there. If I had stayed at Biovolt instead of leaving, I probably would have faced one of you in the tournament last year.”
 
“You were on-” Tyson was silenced as Hilary smacked him on the head.
 
“When I was on the team, it wasn't called the Demolition Boys, it was the Demolition Team. Boris had a theory: if a blader is strong, then the bitbeast will be also. He figured that if I became stronger, then I would eventually get the strongest bitbeast and it would be under his control. That's why he turned his back on everything that was happening to me. He figured I would get stronger; but it didn't go as planned. Sure I was on the Demolition Team; but Boris didn't think I was strong enough. Boris decided to make me stronger through science. He-he was going to have his scientists alter my DNA to make me stronger.”
 
There were outbursts from her friends. Serena waited until they calmed down before continuing. “Like I said, I was 13 when I found out Boris's plans. The night I found out, I ran away, taking nothing but money, my blade, and my launcher. Unfortunately, I was caught and brought back to Biovolt. Usually, the punishment for running away was total lockdown and no food or water for 3 days. However, since Boris wanted me to be stronger, my punishment was different.” Serena pulled the glove off her right hand. She held her hand to where her friends could see the scar that ran across the palm. “I lied when I said I got those scars from fights. I was whipped for running away from Biovolt.” Serena put the glove back on. Looking up, she saw a mixture of horror and sadness in her friends' faces. “It was awhile before I healed. I knew that I had to get away before the scientists changed me. I waited until we were allowed to go to the GUM department store. I planned my escape. We had to pack our own provisions, since we were also going to go to the Red Square. I packed a few of my things on the bottom of my backpack, then put food and drink on top. It was easier for me to get away that time, since GUM is always crowded; but I was once again caught, once again punished. I didn't have to try to run away again. I was released into the care of my `mom' until I wasn't a `problem' anymore. Once she found out all that happened to me, we moved to Japan, trying to escape from Boris. We moved from town to town, making sure the towns knew nothing of blading so Boris wouldn't find us.” Serena looked each friend in the face. “Seeing all of you in the tournament today, I realized nothing would have helped Boris in his quest for world domination. It's not just the blader, it's not just the bitbeast, it's the combination of the two that decides the outcome in the match. I doubt if I had stayed at Biovolt, I would have helped Boris.”
 
Silence consumed the room. Serena had tears forming in her eyes.
 
“That was your life.” said Tyson finally. “I think I can understand why you don't want to tell anyone. You don't want to feel the hurt all over again.”
 
Serena nodded.
 
“How'd you get the scar on your hand?” asked Kenny.
 
“I pissed off Tala Valcov while the whip was in the room,” answered Serena.
 
“Serena, when Dad asked you to call him `Dad', you said you couldn't because of someone else. Who pretended to be your father that you can't even call Dad `Dad'?” asked Max.
 
“Boris,” said Serena quietly.
 
“Bastard,” said Tyson.
 
Serena answered a few more questions before everyone had to leave.
 
“We'll see you at practice tomorrow Serena,” said Ray.
 
“Why?” asked Serena.
 
“We need our coach,” said Tyson.
 
“I'm still your coach?”
 
“Of course! We actually decided that during the tournament. We just needed time to- I mean- I needed time to vent my feelings,” said Tyson.
 
“T-thank you,” said Serena softly. She wiped the back of her hand across her eyes.
 
“A-are you crying?” asked Hilary.
 
“No. I have something in my eye.”
 
“You are! You are crying!” Tyson started laughing.
 
Serena growled. Tyson gulped and ran out the door, Serena following.
 
“I'll show you crying! Get back here so I can rip you to shreds!”
 
“SORRY!”