Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 50

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own BeyBlade or Yugioh. I own: Serena, Nicole, Antonio, SnowLeopard, Dragonia, and anything else that is not BeyBlade or Yugioh. Kelsey, Angie, and Joe own themselves. Yamura belongs to Laura. Austin belongs to Austin, though in name and looks only. Everything else about him I made up.
 
Telepathy
/Serena/
//Kai//
[Max]
::blah:: or {blah}- bitbeast
 
Thoughts or songs- in italics
Flashbacks- in bolded italics
Talking in Russian -bolded
 
 
 
Chapter 50
 
 
After that, routine came back. Go to school, then Tyson's to practice. School ended eventually, and now it was summer vacation. On June 15, routine was shot.
 
“Wake up Serena! Wake up!”
 
Serena groaned. What's Max doing up before three in the morning? Serena looked at her clock. Seven in the morning? How could I sleep in? Then she remembered. The night before, Serena had had a bottle of vodka. She missed her friends in Domino. They had been the first people to celebrate her birthday. I should drink vodka every night if it means I get to sleep in. Serena got dressed and went into the kitchen. She took some medicine to help with her headache and made some coffee. Max came into the kitchen.
 
“Do you know what day it is Serena?” asked Max.
 
Serena didn't answer. Max looked at the counter. “Oh, you didn't have your coffee yet.” Max waited until Serena drank some coffee before repeating his question.
 
“Yeah. June 15. Our birthday. At least Boris had the sense to keep my birthday the same so I wasn't confused.”
 
“Why are you not happy? It's our birthday! All right, so most of your birthdays were spent at Biovolt, but you're here now! Be happy! Smile!”
 
Serena obliged. The bell in the store rang and Max went to answer it. He soon came back in with a box.
 
“It's for you Serena, from Tobyo.”
 
Serena took the box and opened it. Inside was a picture and a videocassette. The picture was of Nicole, Zeo, and Ms. Smith.
 
“Wonder what's on the cassette,” said Max.
 
Serena shrugged and took the cassette into the living room. Once the cassette was in, Serena sat in the recliner. There was a blank screen, then-
 
“Happy Birthday!” The faces of Nicole and Zeo focused into view.
 
“We decided to send you a video for your birthday since we won't be able to call. Sorry,” said Nicole.
 
“Ms. Smith is taking us to Europe,” said Zeo.
 
Zeo and Nicole then commenced to tell Serena everything that had been happening.
 
“Well, hope to see you soon!” said Zeo.
 
“Keep in touch!”
 
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” The screen went blank.
 
“Notice they made no mention of me or the BladeBreakers.” Max stood in the doorway.
 
Serena shrugged. “Oh well. C'mon. We need to go to Tyson's. Just because it's our birthday, it doesn't mean we can stop training.”
 
Max and Serena headed out the door, stopping suddenly at the sight of a car in the driveway. It was green with orange flames on the sides. No one was in the driver's seat.
 
“Wow! Whose is that?” Max ran around the car.
 
“It's yours Max.”
 
Max and Serena turned and saw their dad.
 
“Thanks Dad!” Max ran and gave Mr. Tate a hug, then raced back to the car.
 
“Wait! You can't drive it without the keys!”
 
Max snagged the keys out of the air and opened the car door. “Come on Serena! Let's go!”
 
Serena opened the passenger side door and got in. Why did Max get a car and not me?
 
Both Max and Serena had gotten their driver's license the week before. They didn't really have a need to have a car; but now that there was a car, why wouldn't they drive? Before the car was out of the driveway, Max's cell phone rang to “I Love Candy.” Max answered it.
 
“Hello? Yep. We're on our way now. What? Oh…ok…sure thing. We'll be there as soon as we can.” Max hung up and drove out into the street. “That was Tyson. He needs some soda.”
 
“And we're supposed to pick it up?”
 
“Well, we do pass the store on our way to Tyson's.”
 
Eventually, Max pulled up in front of Tyson's place. Tyson gaped at the car as Max and Serena stepped out.
 
“Y-you have a car?”
 
Max beamed. “Yep.”
 
Serena held up the sodas. “Where did you want these?”
 
“I'll take those,” said Hilary. She disappeared into the dojo with the sodas.
 
“Hey you guys!” Kenny poked his head through the doorway. “Can you help out in here?”
 
“Sure.” Tyson peeled his eyes from the car and headed to the dojo, Max and Serena behind him.
 
Into the dojo the three went, but Serena stopped in the doorway. The dojo was decorated for a party. Presents and food were on tables. Balloons were all over the place, as were streamers. A birthday banner hung behind the tables. Tyson came back and slung his arm around Serena's shoulders.
 
“We figured that you should have a party. Everyone was in on it…even Max.”
 
Serena looked at Max, who smiled. A huge grin broke out on Serena's face as she looked at her friends. “Thanks.” After the tournament, Serena stopped trying to hide her emotions. She wasn't at Biovolt anymore. She didn't need to keep Biovolt customs.
 
“Forget about it. So what shall we do first?” asked Tyson.
 
Serena stared at Tyson. Since when was he so nice?
 
“Presents!” Max ran to the tables.
 
Everyone sighed.
 
“Why presents?” asked Ray.
 
“Candy!”
 
“What makes you think we got you candy?” asked Tyson.
 
“I can smell it! My Precious! It calls to me!”
 
Everyone groaned. It took almost all of them to drag Max away from the gifts. Hilary pushed a bag of candy into Max's hands as everyone dove for cover.
 
“CANDY!” Wrappers were thrown everywhere.
 
Serena poked her head through the doorway.
 
“Is it safe to go back in?” whispered Tyson from besides her.
 
Serena pulled her head back just in time so it wasn't ripped off as Max came racing out at top speed.
 
Kenny sighed. “Looks like we have to wait until he settles down.”
 
“So what do we do?” asked Serena.
 
Something fell on top of her, drenching her. Serena looked up and saw Ray on the roof, water balloon in hand.
 
“Water fight!” yelled Tyson, grinning. He pulled a water gun from behind his back.
 
Water sprayed Serena from all sides.
 
“No fair! I'm not armed!” shouted Serena.
 
Max raced past Serena and something was pushed into her hands. Serena smiled. In her hands was a really big water gun. “Now we're talking.”
 
Serena was still getting drenched. She broke through the wall of water guns and disappeared around the side of the house. Water shot at her from the roof. Ray was still up there. Serena flattened herself against the wall of the house. She waited patiently until Ray bent over the roof. Once he did, she squirted him with all the water in the water gun.
 
“Hey!”
 
“Payback!”
 
The water war went on for a while. Serena couldn't remember the last time she had laughed so much. By the end of the water war, everyone but Max was drenched.
 
“Hey Max! Give me a hug!” called Serena.
 
Max stepped away from Serena. The sugar was wearing off. “No way! You're all wet!”
 
“Oh come on!” Serena spread her arms wide and took a step forward.
 
Max took a step back, not seeing Tyson raise a water gun. Another step, and another. Once in range, Tyson fired at Max, who glared at Tyson, dripping wet.
 
“Now, you're wet.”
 
Everyone laughed.
 
“Come on. It's time the two of you opened presents,” said Hilary.
 
Max raced inside as the others came at a slower pace.
 
“You guys didn't have to get me anything,” said Serena.
 
“Don't say that! It's your birthday. You should get presents,” said Kenny.
 
Serena was propelled to the table full of presents. Max was all ready there, looking from present to present.
 
“Max, heel.”
 
Max looked at Hilary and whined.
 
“Sit!” commanded Hilary, pointing away from the table.
 
Max whined again, but did as he was told. Serena went and sat next to Max.
 
“Don't worry. If you want, you can open your presents first.”
 
Max yelped for joy and rushed to the table.
 
“Why'd you do that?” asked Tyson.
 
“He really wanted to open his presents. I can wait,” said Serena.
 
“But why should you? Everyone looks forward to gifts. Besides, at the rate Max is going, you'll be opening presents soon.” Ray took a bow off his head where Max had placed it.
 
“I can wait,” repeated Serena.
 
Pretty soon, Max was done. As he said, most of his presents, scratch that, ALL of his presents were candy. Somehow, Max restrained himself from eating it as Serena was given presents to open.
 
“Kai said- well actually he didn't say- he gave the impression that he didn't want to join in on the gifts,” said Hilary.
 
Serena looked at the four packages in front of her. On all the tags, it showed that the gifts indeed were from everyone but Kai. Serena picked up the first up. Unwrapped, it was a jewelry box; and inside the box was a whistle on a string. Serena pulled it out.
 
“Now you don't have to yell to get our attention,” said Ray.
 
Serena smiled and placed the whistle around her neck. In the rest of the packages were: a pair of camouflage pants (“For our drill sergeant,” said Tyson), a shirt with the saying “Silence is Golden; Duct tape is Silver”, and a cap that had the word “Coach” on it. Serena felt her spirits fall; but she didn't let it show on her face.
 
They still want me to be their coach!
 
A door was heard being closed outside and soon Kai stood in the doorway. Kai tossed something to Serena. It was a key on a dragon key chain.
 
“What-”
 
“Look outside,” interrupted Kai.
 
Serena went outside, stopping and gaping at the car parked behind Max's. It was a black sports car convertible. A red dragon was painted on the side of it.
 
“Cool! You got a car also!” Max raced past her.
 
“Seems like everyone is getting a car,” muttered Tyson.
 
/What? How?/
 
//Happy Birthday.//
 
/H-how?/
 
//Let's just say I had to convince your father to let me buy you a car.//
 
/And how did you do that?/
 
Kai didn't answer. Kenny came up and handed Serena a surprise present.
 
“It probably isn't as great as the car…but it's from all of us.”
 
Serena opened the box. Inside was a black duffel bag, which Serena pulled out. On the side in red stitching was a dragon and the word “BladeBreaker”.
 
The tears that Serena had been blinking away fell down her face.
 
“Why are you crying? We thought that you would be happy!” said a distressed Hilary.
 
“I-I am happy. This is probably the best present I could get,” said Serena wiping away tears.
 
“Even better than…the car?” asked Tyson.
 
Serena nodded. “This was one thing I always wanted. To be on a team that accepted me. But what about the other gifts? I thought I was going to stay your coach.”
 
“Gag gifts. We actually decided to have you join after the tournament,” said Max.
 
“Thanks,” said Serena.
 
At that time, Mr. Granger came out of the house with a cake. Everyone had to pin Max down until Mr. Granger was out of range. Only then did they let Max go. Everyone managed to get a piece before Max ate it all. Serena sighed.
 
“Why must I have a brother like this?”
 
Tyson shrugged. “You have to admit, there will never be a dull moment.”
 
Everyone laughed as Max zoomed around the room.