Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Evra's Big Mistake ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kai: You stay away from my sister. *Holds back Rei's Neko_gurl*
Rei's Neko_gurl: Aww. No fair. Anyhoo new chappy so read on dear reader.
Chapter 8

'Verity and I are throwing a small party this evening.' Bruce popped his head around the door of the back room, where Dawn was on her knees unpacking stained-glass lampshades. 'Nothing elaborate, just a spur-of-the-moment thing---'

'You'd like me to look after Jason for a few hours?' Dawn looked up from her sea of bubble-wrap.

'No, no, Jason's staying overnight at a friend's house,' Bruce assured her. 'That isn't why I mentioned it. Actually, we wondered if you and Hiro would like to come along. Seven untill ten, drinks and canapes. Nothing elaborate, just a friendly gesture,' he explained, 'to welcome our new neighbours.'

Since discovering last night that their new neighbours were a bank manager and his accountant wife, Bruce had decided a welcome party was definitely in order. It never did any harm to be on excellent terms, socially, with a bank manager.

'Well?' he prompted, wondering why Dawn wasn't saying anything. 'Is that a yes?' To encourage her, he added, 'We haven't seen Hiro for a while.'

You're not the only one, thought Dawn, breaking into a light sweat.

Still, maybe this was the opener she needed. Bruce had to know sooner or later, and she'd been having palpitations wondering how to announce it.

Oh, by the way, Bruce, I've been dumped.

Dawn licked her lips. He was still peering down at her.

'Bruce, the thing is, Hiro and I aren't together any more. We've . . . um, separated.'

There, done.

Oh, bugger, thought Dawn, as her eyes filled with tears.

'Good grief.' Bruce took a step backwards. Tears weren't his thing at all. 'Why?'

'Oh, you know,' Dawn mumbled. 'Things just weren't working out.'

'Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Can't . . . er, be easy.'

It was Bruce's turn to nervously lick his lips. We must look like a couple of hungry cannibals, Dawn thought.

'I'll be okay.'

He shifted from one foot to the other.

'Do you . . . um, want to talk about it?'

Alarmed, she shook her head.

'No, no, really, it's fine.'

Bruce was hugely relieved. Female emotions were a minefield best steered well clear of.

Atleast he'd offered, he told himself. When Verity pressed him for the gory details tonight, wanting to know who'd left who and if Hiro had run off with another woman, he'd be able to say, 'She didn't want to talk about it.'

'So.' His tone was hearty; he rubbed hishands together in a let's-change-the-subject way. 'How about this little get-together tonight then? You'll still come, won't you? You and Verity caould have a good old chat---'

'Thanks,' Dawn blurted out, 'but I'm not really up to it at the moment. I wouldn't be much fun. Another time, maybe?'

Bruce put on his understanding face. At least he knew now why Dawn - certainly no slouch in the looks department - had been looking so palid and puffy-eyed of late.

'Of course,' he assured her. 'Don't worry about it.'

'But . . . um, if you ever need a babysitter I'd be happy to do it.' Dawn knew she was gabbling; still, now seemed as good a time as any. 'As much as you like, actually.' May as well be upfrount about it. 'The thing is, I could do with the extra money. Oh, I'm not asking for a pay rise,' she went on hurriedly, intercepting the look of horror on Bruce's pudgy face. 'It's just, paying the rent on the flat is going to bea bit of a tight squeeze. So any extra work I can do . . . well, it'll come in handy.'

'Right, I see.'

Bruce's tone was guarded.

'I'm not looking for another proper job,' Dawn rushed to reassure him. 'I love working here.'

True. Well, fairly true.

Anyway, changing jobs now would mean she wouldn't be entitled to any maternity benefits.

Bruce visibly relaxed.

'Okay, I'll let Verity know. I'm sure we can work something out. And you get on well with Jason,' he added encouragingly. 'That's a plus.'

It was more than that, it was a downright miracle. According to Hiro, if Bruce and Verity wanted to earn themselves a quick buck they should cart their beloved son along to the headquarters of the nearest condom manufacturers. Feature Jason in a series of adverts for their product, Hiro had declared - often - and condom sales would go through the ozone layer.

'If you don't use one of these,' he had intoned, dangling an imaginary condom from his fingers then affecting a look of horror, 'you'll get one of these.'

And I had laughed, Dawn remembered.

Well, it had seemed funny at the time.

The trouble was, it wasn't funny at all.

Bruce left the back room and Dawn went back to unpacking lampshades.

Bundling a mountain of bubble-wrap into an empty box, she forced herself not to think about Hiro.

Two minutes later she lurched back on her heels in shock.

God, how could I have been so stupid? How could I have offered to babysit for Verity and Bruce?

Bruce was alright, he was only a man. Men never noticed anything.

But stick-thin, eagle-eyed Verity was another matter altogether, Dawn realised with a sinking heart.

One look at my stomach and she'll be on to me like a shot.

Oh help, I need to sign up for Creative Bluffing classes, she thought helplessly. I'll have to tell Verity I've joined Overeaters Anonymous.

******************************************************* *************************************************************************** **********************************

Rei's Neko_gurl: Aww poor Dawn. Hope it get's better soon.
Jiana: Of course it will. Dawn's good and Hiro's just plain traiterous so something bad's deffinitly gonna happen to him.
Rei's Neko_gurl: Maybees. Anyways, I'm away to find ai *grins mischievieously* and his sister.