Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Get Back Up Again ❯ Beginnings at Eight ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, you guys, this is a CO-WRITE between me and an eleven-year-old. He's not a very good story-writer, though I try and help. This is primarily his work, and I'd appreciate no one blaming this on me…I know they're both original characters (yes, a Mary-and-Gary Sue team, but they're solid characters, not those idiotic, moronic things that run around winning all the battles!).

PLEASE GIVE IT A CHANCE!

Summary: Ran Galis and Sora Kamiya were just two best friends who happened to beyblade together. Both their parents met as young entrepreneurs, and as eight-year-olds the duo had made it to the Nationals. Now, at age fourteen, the two are headed off to the Asian tournament, when disaster strikes.

Now, they're living in Japan, going to school with the Bladebreakers, but something's gone wrong. Something is happening. Someone wants the four sacred bit beasts and they'll stop at nothing to get them.

Even the murder of two innocent children…

Disclaimer: We do not own Beyblade or any of the characters associated with it. We claim ownership of Ran and Sora and their pals, though.

Get Back Up Again

Chapter 1: Beginnings at Eight

"Where's that wood, Ran?"

"Dad, I'm coming, all right?" She hefted three long two-by-fours on her shoulders and marched them to the bright red Ford in her father's lot. Dad owned a huge lumber store smack on the edge of downtown Wichita. It nearly went out of the city, straddling the edges, but he still was within the limits.

"Hey, Mr. Dowers, what are you gonna do with all these two-by-fours?"

"I'm makin' my little boy a jungle gym," he said, grinning toothily. "And you guys always have the best wood."

Ran grinned back. "Thanks, Mr. Dowers. Hey, is Sammy going to the park today?"

"No, sorry, he's gonna help me build it."

Her smile didn't waver. "Okay, thanks anyway. See you later, Mr. Dowers."

"You, too, Ran."

The Ford rode off out of the lot, and was replaced by a small blue Dodge caravan. A lady stared down at Ran with a small, meek smile in her cheeks. Both girl and woman had the same brown hair, but Ran's was cut about her ears (and covered by a yellow work helmet) while the woman's was long, reaching the midsection of her back.

"Hey, Mom, what're you doing here?"

"Nothing much, sweetie, just filling out my honey-do list for the day. I'm getting your father to build a new kitchen cabinet."

"You know he won't do it until the shop closes at-"

"Six, yes, I know. But you know how I love to keep him going. Now, load up this wood for me, baby. I'll try and get your dad to let you go to the park. Sora's there, and he's waiting so patiently to see you."

"Awesome. I'm going."

Ran shook her head as she raked the piles of lumber for a couple of plywood boards. Her muddy green eyes trailed in one corner, where she usually practiced her beyblading skills. The rough-hewn stadium was made of rich maple wood, and had been worn down by constant use over the past year. She was only seven, meaning that she couldn't officially beyblade in tournaments until her birthday.

Which was, ironically enough, tomorrow.

The same day as the first local tournament. It would be her first time going officially into one, and she was psyched. Her mother knew it, but her father was a little uneasy about her going into a professional setting by herself. Ran was a little on the shy side, and he feared that she might be scarred for life if she didn't do well. He feared she might freeze up, or lose an easily matched battle.

Ran was a little nervous about that herself, but hid it well. She wanted to battle alongside her eight-year-old friend, Sora, who had turned eight just nineteen days prior. Somehow, she knew that this was going to be the definition of her life from now on, a real coming-of-age moment.

And she fully planned to knock her competitors out of the water. If she made it past the second round, she'd be happy. She was grinning, bringing up her high cheeks cheerily as she delivered the plywood to her mother. Working in her father's lumber shop had toned her into a truly sharp-eyed and strong girl.

"Thank you, sweetie," her mother smiled. "Your dad said it was okay. Now get going, young lady, you've a tournament to prepare for."

"Thanks, mom," she grinned, skipping merrily into the shop to hang up her hard helmet and change out of the black and khaki uniform her father made her wear as an "employee" of Galis Lumber and Supplies. She clipped one side of her overalls, as the other was broken from a previous battle with Sora. Her best friend could be a little bit on the rough side when it came to a battle.

"Bye, Dad!" She grabbed her black and red satchel and raced out the door. The park was just a few blocks away. It was your typical park, with swings, jungle gyms, and basketball hoops, but in the far corner were three large beyblade dishes made of sheer oak. Dad had built and donated them just for her.

This was the only park in the city with beyblade domes, and it was where the local tournament would be held the next day. Her father had gotten together with the mayor and joined the BBA of the Midwest. It was because of her that there was even going to be a tournament for Wichita, this being the third annual tournament.

And because of her that one of the beybladers from Wichita, Kansas, had made it to the Nationals last year. The boy who had won, a kid named Matt, had thanked her again and again since then. He was beaten out by another boy, but the honor of making it to the Nationals in the first place had been a spectacular event for him.

And now it was her turn to go for it.

"Yo, Ran! I didn't think you'd make it," Sora ran up to her, his blond too short to fan out behind him, but enough to make him seem a little bit ditsy. "C'mon, there's an awesome match going on over here. Matt and Ingrid are battling."

Ran ran to the first dome, watching over the shoulder of some of the younger beybladers. Ingrid was only six, but she was looking well forward to making it into the big leagues when her time came. She had probably challenged Matt because of his title. It was apparent, however, that she had a long way to go.

"Ah! Yannah, Under Knight attack!" Ingrid cried, but Matt merely dodged the small attack. Yannah, exhausted, finally ran out of energy and collapsed on its side. Matt picked up his Jillian, a green blade with a heavy attack ring and a practical defense ring, and smiled warmly.

"You did well," he said. "Don't expect to win every match. Just keep working at it. You attacked so often, Yannah just couldn't attack any more. You need to take it easy."

Ingrid gave a watery smile and nodded, picking up her hot pink Yannah.

"So, Matt, looking forward to the tournament?" Ran asked. "How about a battle before we go tomorrow?"

The nine-year-old gazed at her, his dark brown hair hanging in his face. A small pink blush covered his cheeks, confusing Ran for a moment. He reloaded Jillian into his standard launcher and stood back.

"Sure, if you think you can beat me," he grinned cockily, all manner of polite caring gone from his face. He was the champ and the girl before him was no kid, despite her age. Sometimes, Matt believed that she had some kind of brain transplant with an adult brain.

"Now that's what I wanna hear," Ran said, loading her red and black beyblade into its blue launcher. "So. What'll it be? Play for something this time, or is this just for fun?"

"Practice," he said, tightening his grip on his beyblade. "Jillian needs it. Because this time, I'm going for the Internationals."

"Really?" she grinned, all shyness gone. "Well, so am I. Sora, mind counting us off?"

"And commentating," Sora said, grinning at her. "Three! Two! One! Let it…RIP!"

Ran ripped her red and black beyblade, Guardian, into the wooden stadium, watching Matt do the same with Jillian. He made the first move.

"Jillian, Wind Viper Attack!"

A heated wind whipped all around them as Matt gracefully manipulated Jillian's winds into the shape of a large Viper. Jillian whipped around behind Guardian, catching the red and black beyblade off guard. Ran yelled over the sound of the winds.

"Guardian, douse those winds with your Gunned Shadows!"

The beyblade spun black shapes all across the wooden platform, throwing the wind viper straight out at Matt's face. He grinned across at her, wiping the water from his eyes. The wind had thrown some sand there.

"You've improved, Ran, but not enough! Jillian, Jump Radial, now!"

Suddenly, there seemed to be a dozen Jillians in the bowl, all spinning and the nearest always attacking Guardian. If Ran didn't get her beyblade out of this, the match was doomed to failure.

"Grr…I'm not through yet, Matt. Guardian, disperse and destroy! Use your Hindered Guard to find the real Jillian!"

Guardian slowed down, conserving energy for its next attack. Ran watched closely, knowing that an incorrect positive on Jillian's location would cost her the match. Nothing else mattered to her, not the setting sun nor the impatient nagging at the back of her skull that this wasn't the championships, it was only a park practice round.

She was in the game.

"Guardian, now! Neon Trinity Attack!"

The red and black beyblade glowed red, spinning faster and faster. It leapt into the air and came down hard on top of what Ran hoped was the real Jillian. She said a quick prayer as time seemed to slow. Guardian crashed down into the bowl.

Straight on top of Jillian.

Guardian leapt off of the other beyblade, leaving it wobbling pitifully in the center of the dome. Ran didn't even realize that Sora had been commentating the whole time, or that the other kids had been cheering her on. She'd been so wrapped up in the game that she'd even forgotten that this was the local champion.

Which made her the unofficial new local champ.

"Wow, great match!" Matt shook her hand gracefully, accepting his loss as she had always accepted her own. "That's the first time you've beaten me, Ran. Next time, though, it won't turn out that way."

"Next time we'll be battling for real," Ran grinned, suddenly shy again. "Listen, thanks for…for practicing with me. G-Good day." She shook his hand politely, then took up her launcher and Guardian and headed home. Sora raced to catch up.

"Jeez, Ran, do you always have to get so shy?! It's not like not two minutes before you weren't so psyched up that you didn't even hear me say that your dad called my cell and said you'd best get home soon. Jeez…"

"Dad called you? Why didn't you say so?!"

"I did say so. I just said that. How can you be so…so…"

"Frustrating?" Ran supplied, wincing.

"I don't even know that word, and I agree with you," Sora sighed. "Listen, this battle tomorrow…I heard there was some talent scout coming."

"You listen to those rumors?"

"You don't even hear them `cause you never talk to anybody except when they challenge you to a beyblade match," he said.

"I talk to you!"

"That's `cause we've known each other since we were born," he rolled his eyes. "When we get back to your house, can I get a little practice in with you? I'm not sure about my beyblade's new attack ring…I still think it might be too heavy."

"I told you to test it out. You only got that new beyblade three weeks ago, and you still haven't even got a name for it. They're not gonna let you in if you don't have a name."

"How about Chameleon?"

"You can't even spell it."

"So?!"

"Get a name you can write on your card yourself," she said, rolling her eyes. "I know Guardian now as well as I know my dad's lumber shop. I was thinking…"

"About?"

"Trying to summon him. My bit beast, I mean. He's been in my bit for a long time, but I've never actually asked him to come out…"

"Do you think you're ready for that?"

"I don't know…but you need a name. How about…I dunno…Tree?"

"What kind of name is TREE for a beyblade?"

"Okay, okay, simmer down," Ran sighed, passing the darkened windows of Galis Lumber and Supplies. "How about…Gecko?"

"I like it. It's cool, yet comfortable. And can't geckos change color?"

"Yup. Maybe you can teach that trick to Gecko."

Sora grinned. "Gecko…how do you like that? Even when I'm at loss, you still get me back. I've been working on a new attack…"

"Really? What's it do?"

"First, it flies up in the air and then it speeds up a lot, and crashes down. But I can't keep the speed up very well…"

"That's a huge weakness. We'll fix that. Let me see Gecko right quick."

Sora handed the green beyblade over, and Ran studied it silently. She poked at the new attack ring, which was a little heavy for the very flat base he had on it. The problem was obvious to anyone who had knowledge of basic Physics.

"Well, there's your problem," she said. "This base is way too flat. In order for you to keep that momentum, your need a light metal pointed base, like maybe aluminum. I think I have one like that, but it's white, like this side of your attack ring. Cool with that?"

"Sure, thanks."

Sora, being half Japanese American, pulled his shoes off at Ran's door. The comforting gesture was all he needed to feel right at home in the Galis household. It was almost like he was the son they never had. The same could be said for Ran while she was at his house.

"Sorry I'm late, dad," Ran said, sliding into the kitchen, where he was working on the cabinet. "I was battling Matt…Guess what? I won!"

"Oh, that's great, sweetie," Mom said. "Sora, your mom just called here. She asked us if we could watch you for an hour. So you'll be staying for dinner."

"Speaking of which, what's tomorrow's birthday girl going to get?" Dad asked, pocketing some of the screws he was holding. "We'll need to get her something with carbs in it so she has plenty of energy tomorrow."

"Oh, sweetheart, there's an early present in your room," Mom said. "A new defense ring. Very light, and steady. It's only just come out in Japan, so we had to order it from overseas. You'll be the only one out there with it." She smiled happily.

"Wow, thanks!" Ran raced up to her room, Sora right on her heels. She spotted the new defense ring right away. "A magnetic weight disk! These haven't even been put on the market overseas."

She rooted through her parts box under her bed, which contained several more neatly organized attack rings, defense rings, and bottoms. Her core always remained the same, of course. A small, white bottom appeared in her hands almost instantly.

"Here we are. The stadium is in the closet, can you get it out for me?"

"Sure, if you put on my new bottom."

"With pleasure."

Ran shoved the box of parts back under her bed and pulled out yet another neat box full of tools. In five minutes, her new defense ring was on and so was Sora's new bottom. She grinned and gave it back to him.

"Okay, we'll try that new move of yours."

With that, a night of training commenced.

***

The birds twittered in the early morning sun, washing themselves in the dew that had formed on the leaves of the oak trees. Inside the Galis house, Ran was eating a hearty breakfast with plenty of fruit and cereal. Her father was a nutrition fanatic, and knew exactly the types of food to give her to give Ran the edge she needed.

"Got your bracelets on?" he asked, plopping some eggs and toast on her plate. "Put an extra couple on, because you'll be exercising today, remember?"

"Yes, dad," Ran forced a smile. He made her wear eight to ten bracelets every day, and whenever she drank eight ounces of water, she got to move it to her left wrist. It was how he made sure she was always hydrated properly.

Talk about protective.

"Sora said to meet him at his house at seven, so don't be late," Dad said. "Mom made you some trail mix and a pack with some water in it for you. Put on some sun screen."

"Okay. Thanks, Dad."

Ran picked up her plate and glass, set them in the sink, and prayed that he wouldn't remember to give her the "hook, line, sinker" birthday kiss. It wasn't really a kiss so much as a "punishment" for getting older one more year.

"You don't think you're going to get out of it that easy, do you?" he asked, stopping her with a hand. "Hook." He took one cheek. "Line." He took the other. "Sinker!" He pulled on them gently, making her cheeks red and smarting.

"Thanks, dad," she said.

Sora's house was like a second home to her. His mother was a normal American woman, but his father was purely Japanese. That meant that much of the house was traditionally decorated, with tatami floor mats, low tables, and futons for beds all around. Sora, by no account of surprise, was still asleep.

"Good morning, Mrs. Kamiya, Mr. Kamiya," she said, slipping her shoes off at the entryway. "Sora ready for the big tournament today?"

"He's still very nervous," Mr. Kamiya smiled. "No worries. His beyblade is in the best condition ever. Thank you for giving him the new bottom. I'd run out of them in my stock a few days ago. I ordered new ones. Since you gave yours to him, you can have a pick out of the new stock."

"That's okay, Mr. Kamiya," Ran smiled. "I'll ruin your shop if you keep giving me things from it."

Kamiya's Toys and Things was the only shop in the entire city that specialized in beyblading equipment. It ran a few other things, like anime plush and video games, but its beyblade parts and shop were famous. Most stores only carried the traditional ready-built beyblade, but he had such a wide selection that most of the stores in the area stopped carrying them in favor of other toys.

Sora worked in the shop, just like Ran worked for her father in the lumber shop. Both families being partnership entrepreneurs in the same area, they'd become friends three years before Sora and Ran were born. A rumor often floated around that they'd planned the children to be born close to each other, but both Kamiya and Galis families denied the claim.

"Hey, Ran," Sora said sleepily, still in his pajamas. Ran sometimes teased him that he still wore footsie pajamas, but she knew the comfort they brought. She wished she could still fit them. She was a few inches taller than her friend, and was only one size too big for them. It made her mad, but that's life.

"Sora, go get dressed," Ran said smartly. "Why do you always have to sleep in? It's not like it would kill you to wake up at six-thirty like normal people do."

"That's normal?" he blinked blearily. "If it is, I'm Cerberus, guardian dog of Hades' underworld."

Ran snorted. "Just do it, fried brains, before I go up there and dress you myself."

Sora stumbled back up the stairs. He tripped a few times, which was evident by the dust that was coming down from the ceiling above. Ran sighed.

"You really ought to dust the ceiling again."

"I'll keep that in mind," Mrs. Kamiya chuckled. "Would you like something to drink?"

"You have that jasmine and chamomile tea I like?"

"As always."

Mrs. Kamiya returned with the tea and sat down at the table in the living room. It was always so different at the Kamiyas house, because unlike her father, Mr. Kamiya read the paper in the morning. Dad always read the paper in the evening. Mrs. Kamiya always gave her that favorite tea.

And they always loved to see her, no matter what was going on. One time, she'd run away from home, though for what stupid reason she couldn't remember, and they'd sat her down and explained everything away. She'd stayed the night to cool down, and then had gone home without qualm.

She loved Mr. And Mrs. Kamiya as second parents. She was sure that Sora felt the same about hers. Speaking of the devil…

"Ah, geez, Okaasan, why did you have to give her that foul-smelling tea again? You know it makes her nutso!"

Ran grinned. "Oh, Sora, quit griping. It'll give me a nice edge in the stadium, especially with all the vitamins and natural energy my dad fed me this morning. I just wish there were something I could give my beyblade."

"How about a warm up session? We've another hour before we have to be at the park. And Gecko's really mad at you for beating him up last night."

"Really? Guardian's ready for the challenge."

"Your father set up a nice training field in the backyard," Mrs. Kamiya interrupted, taking Ran's empty teacup. "All those old cans you've been collecting will make nice dodging practice. Go on, get back there. We'll call you when you've got to go."

"Thanks, Mrs. Kamiya."

The duo rushed out the sliding rice paper doors and into the sidewalk garden in the backyard. Lotus blossoms and jasmine filled their senses as they stood before a long row of aluminum cans set in a straight line.

"Quick bet," Sora grinned at her. "I win, you drink green tea. You win…"

"You drink jasmine and chamomile," Ran grinned.

Mr. and Mrs. Kamiya watched their son and Ran dodge and swing around the cans. After ten rounds, it was obvious that Ran had won another of her bets with Sora. Mr. Kamiya smiled.

"I wonder what bet he's pushed her into now?"

"Probably the Great Tea Battle again," Mrs. Kamiya said with a sigh. "Looks like I need to prepare another cup of jasmine and chamomile. When will that boy ever learn?"

"Probably when he realizes he's drank as many cups of that tea as he has bets," Mr. Kamiya chuckled, marking the number on his paper. "He's up to seven hundred twenty-three cups now."

"How many green teas has Ran had again?"

"Two."

***

"All right, beybladers! Welcome to the Local Wichita Beyblade Tournament! You all know the prize for the top two players, right? Well, if you don't, here's Sammy Dowers, our local commentator child extraordinaire!"

"Thanks, Mayor. The Third Annual Tournament is about to commence! The last two players standing will advance to the Regional Tournament, including all of the Southern Midwest and a completely-paid trip to Dallas, Texas. Not only that, but the final player will receive five hundred dollars cash from our sponsors, local stores Galis Lumber and Supply, Penny's, and Kamiya's Toys and Things!

"The line up is as follows: Matt v. Charlie; Susan v. Robin; Ran v. Rem; Tiger v. Sora; Samuel v. Heather; Van v…"

Ran no longer paid attention. She was going up against "Rem" and Sora had someone named "Tiger" to contend with. A quick diagnostics check on Guardian told her everything was squared away. Suddenly, her throat felt tight, and she pulled at the neck of her t-shirt. What was she doing here? Hundreds of people…all waiting and watching, ready to laugh when she failed.

Sora, of course, noticed right away.

"Chill, Ran, things will be fine. I'm sure this Rem person isn't so tough," he flashed his infamous lopsided grin. "Get in the game and take it up again."

"I…I'm not so sure…anymore, Sora…What if I-"

"What if, what if, shut up! There's nothing in this world that's stopped you from blading before, and I, for one, am not gonna let you run from this. You're on the third bowl, so get a move on!"

Ran gave him a shaky grin. "Thanks, Sora."

"No, thank you," he grinned back. "I needed to vent. Now go win!"

"I-I'll try…"

"No. What's your goal?"

"Uh….try my best?"

"NO! Victory! Say it with me. What's our goal?"

"Victory!"

"All right! Now go knock `er dead. Your mom's over there to cheer you on."

Ran knew that her father wouldn't be there to cheer for her because he was one of the sponsors. That meant that he couldn't help her at all. It was fine by her, of course. She knew that when he started sponsoring this event that he wouldn't be able to always be there for her.

But still…

"What?! This is a disgrace!" shouted a rather tall girl, much older than Ran was. "I've got to battle against a little girl? She looks like she just turned eight yesterday!"

"Today, actually," Ran said, sinking into her game personality. "You ready to rip, or you gonna sit there and yap all day?"

"They really should consider separating the older kids from the younger…" said Mom from behind her. "Ran, you be careful."

"Don't you worry about a thing, Mom," Ran grinned at the girl. "I won't hurt her too bad. Good luck, Rem."

"Keep it to yourself," growled the other girl. "You're gonna need it."

"All beybladers ready?" Sam's voice carried over the crowd. "Come on, guys, together, now. Judges into position? Three. Two. One. Let it…RIP!"

The battle was on. Rem's pink beyblade roared across the tiny stadium, Guardian following quickly behind. Rem chuckled, staring at Ran in her overalls and t-shirt.

"You really should pick your fights better, kid. Oh, right, I forgot. They chose them for you. Too bad. Mistress Psycho, Weakness Pounce!"

"So that's your blade's name," Ran whispered, watching carefully to see what the pink blade would do. It leapt off the ground and jumped three or four times on Guardian. "I see that it was aptly named. You really must be Psycho to go against Guardian. Guardian, Gunned Shadows!"

The red and black beyblade shot black spots across the stadium, one or two catching hold of Mistress Psycho. Guardian's oppressor slowed and nearly stopped.

"Guardian, finish it with another Gunned Shadows," Ran said, almost losing the edge to her voice. It was all over in two minutes. "I'm sorry, Rem, that was a bit…"

"I need more training," Rem said. "I've never actually beybattled before. Thanks, for being my first opponent."

"Yeah. Thanks to you, too. And good luck in the second round."

"Nah, that's all right," Rem smiled. "You've got me beat. I forfeit."

The official looked at her as though she were the psycho one, but nodded. The next team stepped up. Suddenly, Ran found herself attempting to breath again.

"You did it, honey, you did it!"

"…ack…ack…a…a…r…"

"Oh, I'm sorry, sweetie." Ran gulped air greedily, replenishing her supply in case of another hug attack. "Looks like Sora's doing well, too."

Ran glanced at her friend, who was battling that Tiger boy. Tiger's beyblade was orange with black tiger stripes, but it was making attacks that made it sound like a kitten. She giggled, seeing the bored look on Sora's face. The tiger-striped beyblade flew from the stadium in a move she herself had taught Sora-back when they were six. Tiger didn't even seem to know to dodge the attack.

"I dunno, this tournament seems rigged so that we got the soft opponents," Sora complained two minutes later. Tiger had refused to give up, and stalked from the stadium with his blade in pieces. "But they set it up using lots. I know. I saw them do it."

"Watch your mouth, you might just be going against Matt next," Ran told him. "And he's bound to be on his guard because of yesterday."

"You think you can beat him again?"

"I did it once, I think I could do it again. But I'll be happy to get through the next round. After all, this is only my first tournament. I don't have to bring home the gold this year."

"I wish I could have that attitude," Sora sighed. "But I've gotta win. I want to go to Dallas and battle in the Regional."

"So do I, but sometimes you gotta face reality," Ran shrugged. "There were only twenty entrants this year, if I remember. So…with four stadiums…that's eight players at a time…This second thing will pass soon, then there'll be one more bout to be before we go on to the next round."

"How do you do that all in your head like that?"

"Talent."

"Really? I thought it was just the calculator you seem to have memorized in there."

"That's what the brain is, if you think about it. One giant supercomputer of information and data."

"Then how come we all aren't born with that stupid inner calculator you have?"

"Everyone's good at something, Sora."

"All bladers, prepare for the second round!" Sammy's voice echoed over the crowd as he smiled at them all. "Ten people left-who will Wichita send to the Regional? The slots are as follows: Sora v. Van; Heather v. Robin; Ran v. Matt-"

Ran gulped. She hadn't expected to battle Matt just yet. It had been tough last night to beat him. How hard would she have to battle to get control? This was the battle she wanted to win, this was the one that determined her life.

She smirked and brought her launcher up, ready to rip.

"You ready to get creamed again, Matt?"

He smirked. "You ready to eat those words, Ran?"

Her eyes hardened. "You wish."

"Bladers! Three! Two! One! Let it…RIP!"

"Guardian, Black Barrier Reef!"

Her beyblade pulsed, throwing black smoke into the air, confusing and disorienting her opponent. But, as she well knew, it was only momentary. A smirk lit Matt's face up.

"Jillian, Wind Viper Attack!"

Ran cried out. "No!"

The black smoke began to dissipate. In Matt's attention to the winds, however, he lost track of what Guardian was doing. Ran smirked underhandedly. She'd been counting on that. All was according to plan.

"Guardian, Radial Spike," she said, grinning as her beyblade spun in wider and wider arches, throwing attack after attack onto Jillian. Matt's beyblade was helpless during his misdirection of attention. The Wind Viper threw all of the smoke into the air. At the cost of the first round.

Matt smirked again. "You're good, Ran."

"You, too."

"That little trick won't work again."

"I know it."

"You two ready for the next round?" The official asked. "Three. Two. One. Let it…RIP!"

"Guardian, Shadow Swords of Excalibur!"

The beyblade spun faster and faster, emitting the same black things as when it used its Gunned Shadows. However, now the blackness stuck with the spinning beyblade, spinning faster with every second that went by. Jillian dodged around and ran from the shadows, unsure of what to do. Matt seemed at a loss.

"J-Jillian! Uh…Rad-no, that won't work. Ah!" Jillian flew up into the air, struck by some of the shadow spikes. "No!"

The shadows began to thin as Jillian fell, shaky but still moving, back into the stadium.

Matt wasn't so confident now.

"Er…Jillian, Jump Radial!"

A dozen Jillians appeared, but now it was easier for Ran to see.

"Guardian, Neon Trinity Attack!" It leapt into the air, spinning faster, then crashed down onto Jillian, stopping it dead.

"Winner-Ran Galis!"

"I can't believe you fell for the same trick as yesterday, Matt."

Matt gave a shaky, sad smile. "I guess…I just have to go back to training for next year. I get the feeling you could go all the way, Ran."

She smiled. "Thank you. I hope so."

"Well, folks, that wraps up this round!" Sammy yelled. "And the five near-semi-finalists are: Sora Kamiya, Ran Galis, Robin Spikes, Jim Martin, and Gordan Jaspers. To find our top four, who each get a parting gift of twenty dollars at Borders, we will conduct an obstacle course. The beyblades that can make it through the course the quickest become our four semi-finalists.

"The course is a simple bottle-and-can course. Weave your way through the Pepsi cans, knock over each Sprite bottle without hitting the others, and then weave your way back. Whoever has the fastest times, wins. Are the rules understood?"

The five nodded.

"Then, on your mark. Get set. Let it…RIP!"

"Guardian, we've done this a thousand times!" Ran shouted as the beyblade ripped its way through the Pepsi cans. With each one, she smiled wider. She was ahead!

"Okay, Guardian, one at a time!" she shouted. Each Sprite bottle fell: one, two, three, four, five, and then she was ripping her way back through the Pepsi cans.

"ALL RIGHT GUARDIAN!" She shouted, taking her beyblade up.

"Gecko! You did it, buddy!"

"We've got two winners already, folks. And here comes the third and fourth! It's Guardian, Gecko, Chancer, and Blake Boding are our winners! Please give a warm clap for Tree for his excellent performance. Sorry, Gordan.

"All right, our semi-final line-ups are: Sora v. Robin and Ran v. Jim. Give it up for our SEMI-FINALISTS!"

Suddenly, Ran wasn't so happy. She was winning. Winning a war she didn't want to fight after this. An ugly feeling rose up within her, something she tried to fight but lost to almost immediately. Her pride.

All her doubt vanished. She wasn't vainly proud. Ran just knew that this was her big chance. If she won this match, this battle, she would go to the Regional Tournament. She and one other person. Secretly, she hoped it was Sora. Robin didn't look like great company at all, and Sora was, after all, her best friend.

"You read, kid?" Jim asked.

Jim was a much older boy, at fifteen, and likely a lot more experienced. Ran stepped up nervously to the bowl, all eyes on her. She felt like throwing up. Her hands were shaking as she reached up to rip the cord of her beyblade. Sweat coursed down her brow.

Guardian seemed to feel her shiver.

"Three. Two. One. Let it…RIP!"

***

Ran needn't have worried. Jim turned out to be quite the little pushover, as his white beyblade had only one attack: run. His strategy was simple, and effective against weaker opponents. If he waited it out and ran from the other beyblade, eventually it would lose energy and stop spinning on its own. Jim didn't count on the fact that there might be a beyblade faster than his.

"Guardian, give him a nudge out of there," Ran said, crossing her arms in sheer boredom. She rolled her eyes as, the second time over, Jim's beyblade fell out. "Don't waste people's time. How did you get this far? Jeez…"

She picked up Guardian and watched Jim walk away. The official just shook his head.

"That kid made it because all the others were slower than his was. I didn't think they'd ever find one faster. Thanks, kid, I definitely didn't want to see him go to Dallas and represent. Congrats."

That's when it hit her.

She was a finalist.

She was going to Dallas, Texas.

No matter if she won her next round or not.

"RAN! RAN, you WON!"

Ran found herself once again under a hug attack from about six different angles. She couldn't even "ack" for air. When they finally let go, she was blue in the face.

"Sweetie, I can't believe it," Mom said, hugging her a little more gently. "You're going to the Regional!"

"Where's Sora?" Ran asked.

"Still battling," Mrs. Kamiya said. "They've both won one round apiece. They're pretty evenly matched."

Suddenly, a cheer told her that it was all over.

"AND OUR FINAL MATCH HAS BEEN DECIDED!" Sammy Dower's voice carried over them in a tsunami of sound. "IT'S RAN GALIS V. SORA KAMIYA! I DON'T BELIEVE IT, FOLKS!"

The two best friends shared a worried glance. Sure, they'd battled before, but this was different. This was for the championship. This was a no-holds showdown of their skill and neither were backing down from the challenge.

"You ready to eat ground?" Sora smirked over the final bowl, all eyes on them.

"I'll only get back up again," Ran smirked back. "Only one of us is going win. Don't hold back."

"Same goes for you."

"Local kids who blade in this park know that this is the match of the year for Wichita, Kansas," Sammy commentated. "Ran and Sora have known each other since they were born, and are best friends. Everyone is curious to see which of these two will come out on top. But first, let's give them a round of applause, as no matter what happens today, they're both headed for Dallas next month to represent us in the Regional Tournament."

Ran smiled at the huge applause. It was a feeling unlike anything she'd ever felt before. The people around her knew her and most had bladed against her. Most knew that she was shy. Until, they all knew, she stepped up to the challenge of battle.

"Well, then," Sammy grinned. "Let's see what happens, eh? Three. Two. One. LET IT…RIP! And they're off, folks, to a beautiful start on both accounts."

"Guardian, Shadow Sword of Excalibur!"

The shadows crept out from the accelerating blade, throwing the swords out again. Sora recognized the attack and smirked over the base stadium. Ran stared right back, gaze for gaze, eye for eye.

"This is all over," Sora said. "Engine gear, full throttle."

There was a squeal in the tiny stadium, like a car had just pulled out of the parking lot at full speed. Gecko spun round, faster and harder than the shadows could even touch. Ran's eyes flew open as she saw her own suggestion fly from the depths of the attack ring. The blades extended full out like six magnificent cutlasses.

"Always knew you were a pirate," Ran taunted, though she was worried.

"And you always thought of the best ways to do things. Not this time. Grand Slam, Gecko, Full Power!"

Gecko flew into the air like a huge comet and then crashed down on top of Guardian, throwing the red and black blade for a loop. Guardian barely dodged the majority of the blow, but Gecko had managed to nick it. Shakily, it steadied out again.

"You almost got me," Ran murmured. She fisted her hand. "That won't happen again. Guardian, give me all you got. Attack!"

The red and black beyblade traditionally attacked Gecko, nearly throwing it out of the ring. Slowly, she saw Gecko's spin begin to weaken.

"All right, Guardian, Neon Trin-"

"Not this time!" Sora interrupted. "BeyTransfer Endurance!"

"Wha-"

Ran had no idea where this had come from.

Gecko began to glow blue, whereas Guardian glowed red. It took Ran a minute to realize what was going on. He was sucking power from Guardian!

"Oh, no you don't. GUARDIAN! I SUMMON THEE! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Sora backed up despite himself. The glowing Guardian began instead to glow white. Wait…Only the center was glowing, like a huge sun right there in the middle of the stadium.

"A bit beast! Oh, my goodness, folks, Ran has managed to summon her Guardian!"

The beast was unlike anything Ran had ever seen before. It had white wings and a feline body, and turned red eyes to her in a kind smile. Fire shot from its tail, paws, and mane like an untamed wild thing. And yet…it was beautiful.

Guardian nuzzled its owner gently before turning to face its opponent fiercely.

"AH! GECKO!" Sora screamed in sheer fright. The green and white beyblade remained stubbornly dormant. It took almost nothing for the Guardian to knock Gecko clean out of the stadium and into Sora's waiting hands.

"And that concludes round one. Opponents, prepare for round two! Take five to repair any damages."

"That was awesome," Sora whispered, staring at the red circle atop Ran's beyblade. Guardian fiercely watched, as though it were really protecting Ran from danger. Somehow, it made Sora feel better to know it was there.

"Maybe you're next," Ran grinned. "If you get a bit beast, that is."

"I'm going to the shop right quick," Sora said. He took off as fast as his feet could carry him, leaving Ran to wonder what he was doing.

"Players, you have one minute before second round," Sammy said, looking worriedly down the road where Sora had vanished. "If a player is absent at the time of the match, he is disqualified for that round…thirty seconds…twenty…ten…nine…eight…seven…oh, there he is, folks. That kid's either lucky or I'm insane."

"What'd you do?" Ran asked.

"Oh, you'll see. Ready to eat that dirt?"

"Ya, right."

"Bladers, ready? Three. Two. One. Let it…RIP!"

"I've got a little surprise for Guardian," Sora said as he released Gecko into the bowl. "I changed my attack strategy."

"I noticed the ring…but why the change?"

He only smirked. "I liked the idea of pitting you against a little…electrifying enlightenment. Lightning Gecko, Sonic Spiral Attack!"

"Lightning Gecko?" Ran watched in shock as he encircled her beyblade faster and faster, attacking at every available angle. Sora met her eyes with a smirk. "Guardian, a little Neon Trinity Attack. Please."

The sudden attack threw him into a direct trajectory for the outside of the stadium.

"Hmph," Ran smiled. "It's all over."

"Gecko! Left! Go left!"

"Going…going…wait! What's this?" Sammy commentated. Ran turned back around.

The blades extended once again, Lightning Gecko was flying like a lightning bolt-back into the beystadium. It twisted once again, and suddenly, it began to glow in the center.

"LIGHTNING GECKO! AHHHHHHH!"

"Folks, this is the first time in the history of this young commentator's career that he has been able to witness a battle between two beyblades in possession of a bit beast. Yes, and Guardian has been released as well!"

Lightning Gecko was a beast unlike any other. He was sleek and handsome, almost like a huge green dragon with silver eyes. It had no wings, but it looked like it should. Sora smirked. It was time.

"Thunder Rage!"

"Neon Trinity!"

Both beyblades and both bit beasts flew up into the clouds, leaving those on the ground to wonder what would happen next. Crashes and roars rained from the sky, leaving both young bladers staring up in awe. Had they really done this?

"The beyblades!" Sammy shouted.

Both blades fell from the sky, still twisting in the wind.

"Lightning Gecko, Thunder Grand Slam!" Sora yelled. Lightning Gecko sped up and attacked Guardian midair. Ran cried out as she saw Guardian fall from the stars-only to land in four pieces on the outside of the stadium.

"Guardian!" she ran to her beyblade, picking up the red and black bits. It stopped glowing. She turned back around to stare in the beystadium, where Lightning Gecko was still spinning.

"I'm sorry. I can't fix Guardian in ten minutes," she said. "I forfeit the match."

Roaring applause filled the air for Sora. Ran joined the fray, celebrating her best friend's success. After all, she was going, too. It didn't matter that she didn't bring home the gold.

She was second-best.

So why did she feel as though it should have been her riding atop the shoulders of the crowd?

"Sora, where did you get that bit beast?"

"My dad had him from when I was a little kid. It's been in our family for a while, but I didn't want to put him in until I thought it was time."

"You're just about the stupidest kid I've ever met. You know that, Sora?"

"But ya gotta love me!"

The friends shared a laugh.

***

Just some beginning stuff, to let ya'll get to know Ran and Sora and how they grew up and junk. I just saw the funniest thing…KURAMA-CHAN in his BOXERS! :3 KAWAII NE! Okay, please let us know what you thought…