Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Majesty ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Authoress' Notes: Movin' right along…

Warnings: See chapter one if you're worried about it.

Disclaimer: I don't own Beyblade or anything to do with it. Only this fic and its OCs (if any).

Pairs: TyKa, ReMa, Hilary/Tala, Lee/Mariah, others to be decided.

Dedication: This chapter is dedicated to the flamer on Mediaminer who thinks that both TyKa and I suck.

*sticks out tongue at flamer* Honestly! Can't you come up with something a little more original?

I don't care if you don't like my story. Don't like it? Don't read it! ^_^ I don't wanna hear about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tyson helped Max load the last of the supplies into the back of the wagon while Kai - typical prince that he was - sat up front and watched, waiting for them.

"There. That's the last of it." Tyson climbed up into the back while Max got up front to steer the horses through Marhcantria's busy, crowded streets.

"I had no idea a few supplies like that would cost so much." Kai sighed. "I think we're eating you out of hose and home, Max."

The blonde laughed. "Honestly, Kai! Don't worry about it! It isn't like we can't afford it. Besides, we enjoy having you, Tyson, Hilary, and Kenny with us. It does get rather lonely out here without visitors, after all."

"Well…when we get to be annoyances, kick us out." Tyson chuckled from behind Kai. "Or put us to work! Uh…me, anyway. Kai doesn't work."

The older teen turned around in his seat and gave Tyson a mild scowl. "Well excuse me. I was a little busy learning how to be a warrior and an Emperor. I don't really know how to be anything else." He sounded just a little bit sad and the bluenette immediately felt bad.

"I know, Kai. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." He apologized.

"No, Kinomiya. You've nothing to be sorry for." Kai shook his head. "It's only the truth, after all."

"Still…"

"Forget about it."

The three remained in a comfortable silence for about half an hour or so. Tyson stretched out on his back in the wagon bed, hands folded behind his head as he stared up at the bright blue sky that was punctuated by the occasional powder-puff white cloud.

Suddenly a dark spec appeared in the sun, and it gradually became larger and larger as the bluenette watched curiously, until he realized that it seemed to be a bird that was flying toward them at break-neck speed.

"What the…?" Tyson squinted at the bird, trying to figure out what kind it was, when he caught a flash of red. "Dranzer?!" He exclaimed.

"Huh?" Kai glanced back at him. "Where?"

"Up there!" Tyson pointed and Kai swivelled around, holding out his arm just in time as the firebird swooped in and landed on it. She squawked urgently at him and rustled her feathers in agitation.

Kai glowered at her. "I'm still not ready to talk to you, Dranzer. I don't think either of us want me to say something we'll both regret."

"Wait, Kai." Tyson had sat up and was clearing off a barrel for her to perch on instead of Kai's arm. "I'm not particularly eager to talk to her or Dragoon, yet, either, but she seems worried about something." He looked at Dranzer. "There's no one around if you want to transform." He told her with as much politeness as he could muster.

She hopped off Kai's arm when he moved her closer to the barrel and once there she quickly shifted in a bright flash of light.

"I know you're both still very upset, but please listen? You must get home quickly. We've had an unexpected visitor arrive."

Max frowned. "Who? What's happened? Is everyone okay?"

"Everyone but the visitor." Dranzer reassured the blonde. "Rei and Tabitha are perfectly fine, as are Kenny and Hilary. Dragoon stayed to keep an eye on everything and I came to find you three."

"So what's going on? Who shoed up?" Tyson demanded.

Dranzer sighed and looked directly at Kai. "Tala and Wolborg. He's in very bad shape, Kai. It looked to me like he's been through a rather savage beating, escaped, and come looking for you."

Kai winced. "Boris found out he helped free Tyson and Hilary, then." He closed his eyes as if he was in pain. "I hope Bryan is okay, too." Opening his eyes again, he looked to Max. "Speed us up, Max. We'd best get home as soon as possible."

The blonde flicked the reigns, encouraging the horses to speed up. "We'll get there, Kai." He promised. "This Tala…he's a friend of yours?"

"Not precisely." The Imperial heir said slowly. "He's a cousin, actually. But…he has been loyal to me - in his own way. Tala is a survivor, first and last, you see."

"Yes. I do." Max nodded his understanding. "And Bryan?"

"Not a friend. An ally, a loyal soldier, and someone who does what he's told without asking questions." Kai's mouth turned up at the corners briefly. "He follows Tala around like a puppy. Well, more like a warhorse. They're the kind of animals that are like a soldier who will obey orders without question - but only the orders of their master."

"Ah. Are they trustworthy?"

Tyson spoke up before Kai could. "I only know that they got Hilary and I out of the Tower prison and away from certain death. I'm inclined to trust them - even if my conscious and His Highness, here, tell me otherwise."

Kai shrugged. "I know them better than you. However, until I talk to Tala and find out what's going on, I'm reserving judgment on trusting him."

"Works for me." Max agreed. "I just want to be sure my family is safe."

"So do we, Max." Tyson clapped him on the shoulder.

"Have no fear, Max. Dragoon is there and he swore to keep them safe for us all until we get there." Dranzer added. "We may be in your bad books but please trust us that much."

"I don't want to…" Max sighed. "But I have to believe in you."

"Thank you." Dranzer whispered, bowing shortly from the waist.

When they got within sight of the house, she stood up. "I will fly ahead and let Rei know you're nearly there." She said, before taking her phoenix form once more and launching herself into the air from the barrel, flying off toward the house.

A short while later, Max halted the horses and the three jumped off the wagon, hurrying over to the front door and going inside.

"Rei? Kenny? Hilary?" He called out, leading Tyson and Kai through the house toward the kitchen.

"Hey! You're back!" Rei looked up as they came in. "Hilary's upstairs watching over Tala. He hasn't come to yet, though." He informed them, tilting his face up so he could meet Max's kiss of greeting from where he sat at the table.

"Are you all okay?" Max asked in concern, gently rubbing Tabitha's cheek fondly as she lay snuggled in Rei's arms.

"We're fine, Maxie. It's that guy, Tala, that's not doing so well." Rei leaned against him when the blonde draped an arm around his shoulders in a half-hug. "You can go up, if you like, Kai. Dranzer already went up herself, and Dragoon's there, too, Tyson."

Kai nodded and looked around for his squire. "Where's Kenny?"

"He's outside hanging the laundry out to dry. He'll be back in soon."

Tyson silently followed his lover upstairs, sensing Kai was very preoccupied and didn't wish to talk at the moment, yet not wanting to leave the prince all alone.

Knocking on the door to the only room in the hallway that was closed, Kai pushed it open and saw Hilary sitting on the side of the bed, carefully wrapping bandages around Tala's arm. Wolborg, who Dragoon had brought inside when the wolf had begun to howl in lonely worry outside earlier, lay curled at the foot of the bed on the floor, and raised his head as Kai and Tyson entered. The white wolf whimpered when he saw Kai, wagging his tail slightly in recognition.

"Yes, Wolborg. Hello to you, too." Kai greeted him quietly.

Dranzer and Dragoon stood near the window, watching silently. The dragon took his mate's hand and said in hushed, subdued tones, "We'll take our leave now. You have other things to worry about now that are more important than us and our problems. Take care of him, Hilary. I don't think any of us want to see another casualty of all this." She nodded and picked up another roll of bandages.

"Wait, Dragoon!" Tyson stepped up beside Kai, taking his hand firmly in one of his own. "You don't have to leave. Please stay…in your other forms, if you want to."

Uncertain, the two looked at Kai, who shrugged indifferently and went over to the bed, tugging Tyson along with him. The two deities changed form once again and got comfortable on the window seat.

"How is he, Hilary?" Kai asked in hushed tones, looking down at the prone form of his cousin.

"He's been beaten, Kai. Badly. Worse than what Kenny had been." She replied softly. "I don't know how he ended up here or how he managed to even get here in this condition. But he did and I'm not at all surprised he collapsed as soon as he arrived. His body was exhausted, broken, and his mind probably couldn't handle the stress on him any longer so he just shut down." She gently began wrapping a bandage around Tala's left wrist, tying it to a splint. "He'd also lost a lot of blood and I don't think he's eaten, drank, or slept in days."

Kai had to close his eyes for a moment. He knew Tala's skills and abilities very well, knew his strengths, weaknesses, and limitations. The ice-blue eyed warrior had always had remarkable talents for long distance running and his skill with a sword was what got him the captaincy of the Royal Guards. And as an added threat he'd always had his pet wolf at his side - found as a pup and raised by Tala alone. The prince had noticed that many of Tala's own characteristics seemed almost wolf-like as well, which probably helped to make Wolborg and his master as close as they were.

"Will he live?" He finally asked, dreading the answer. He may not have always trusted his cousin, but even he hadn't deserved this pain for being loyal to Kai - for being humane and seeking to save the lives of others.

Hilary finished bandaging the red haired teen, carefully setting his arm down and pulling the covers on the bed up over him. "I think so. He's obviously very strong and determined, Kai. Even so, he will need lots of rest and time to heal." She gave Kai's arm a squeeze. "If it helps, I promise I will take good care of him and do my best to make sure he pulls through."

The crimson-eyed teen nodded and Tyson smiled. "If anyone can make him better, cousin, it's you. We'll get out of the way for now, okay? Is there anything you need us to do?"

Hilary shook her head and laid the back of her hand to Tala's forehead, checking his temperature cautiously, in case of fever. "No. Thank you, Takao. But you might want to dig up some clothes for him for later. His own were…not worth trying to save."

"Sure. We'll see what we can find." Tyson turned and led Kai to the door. "Come on, Kai." He glanced over his shoulder. "And you two, also."

Dranzer and Dragoon followed them out the door and downstairs, leaving Hilary alone with her patient and Wolborg, who settled back down to wait patiently for his master to wake up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several days and nights passed by. At one point, as Hilary had feared (though she hadn't wanted to worry anyone so she hadn't mentioned it before), Tala came down with a fever. The brunette stayed awake all night when that happened, bathing his face, neck, and upper chest with a wet cloth soaked in cold water in an effort to bring his temperature down. When that wasn't enough to break the fever, Hilary woke up Kenny and Max, getting them to help her dunk Tala in an icy tub of water. That did the trick and by the time they hauled him out again, he was shivering instead of sweating profusely. Then the two sleepy males helped get the red-head back into bed before getting shooed off to their own by Hilary - after she'd thanked them for getting up in the middle of the night to give her a hand.

Hilary busied herself drying Tala off a bit better then tucking him back into the warm bed, being careful not to jostle him too much. She listened to his breathing for a moment, and, satisfied that there was no rattling or anything which could signal pneumonia or worse, she sat next to the bed and watched him continue to sleep - only now it seemed to be a more peaceful, deep slumber than many of the previous days and nights had been. Tala had moved around restlessly a great deal, often moaning and sometimes even speaking aloud. It was those moments that led her to believe he was plagued with bad dreams and nightmares - from his memories and experiences, or the fever, or a combination of it all she wasn't sure.

Every evening Kai would come up to the room and sit with his cousin, allowing Hilary to go and do anything she needed to do - have a bath, fetch clean bandages and bedding, or simply to just have a much needed break and change of scenery. She noticed that her own cousin was never far from Kai's side, almost always joining the prince at Tala's bedside. It seemed to Hilary that Tyson was keeping an eye on Kai much as she was on Tala, hovering almost protectively - and possessively - over Kai.

One evening, as she was heading downstairs when Kai had arrived to relieve her, Hilary ran into Tyson on the staircase. Now, she decided, would be a perfect time to pull him aside and find out just what the situation was between her cousin and the prince.

"Come with me for a few minutes, Takao. I want to talk to you about something." She invited.

"Uh…okay." Tyson followed her to the kitchen curiously. "What's up, Hilary?"

His cousin moved around making herself some tea as she spoke. "I wanted to talk to you about Kai."

"What about him? I know he doesn't really show it but he is pretty worried and upset about Tala." Tyson sat at the table and accepted a cup of tea from her as she poured. "I can tell."

"I know. But that's not it, Takao." Hilary pulled out a tin of cookies from a cupboard and set the tin between them on the table as she joined him.

Mildly confused, Tyson grabbed a cookie and took a bite. "Then what?" He asked.

"I…" She began, then stopped, rephrasing what she wanted to know. "I realize it's none of my business, cousin, and I hope you'll forgive me for sticking my nose in, but…I want to know what's between you and Kai." Hilary picked up a cookie. "Are you friends? Allies? Or is it more?"

Tyson blinked in surprise, swallowing his cookie and taking a sip of tea to wash it down before he answered. "Where did this come from all of a sudden, Hilary? I mean, I thought it was pretty obvious that there's more to our relationship than allies or friendship."

She sighed. "Perhaps. But…I didn't want to make assumptions and be wrong. And I worry for you, Takao." Hilary reached across the table and laid a hand on his arm. "I guess it's my job to look after you now. You're all I have left, after all."

"Hilary…" Tyson sighed too and took her hand from his arm between his own, patting it lightly. "We're family. Blood kin. Of course you're allowed to worry about me - I worry about you just the same."

"So what is between the two of you, then?" She repeated her question.

Tyson released her hand and looked over at the stairs, staring distantly at them. "I would have him as my lifemate…though right now everything is so uncertain that I don't know how we could ever be together and make it work."

"You love him, then." Hilary stated softly. He looked at her.

"Yes. We haven't said the words to each other yet but I think we both know it." He admitted.

" 'You think?' Why hasn't he told you? Or you him?"

The look he gave her was mildly chastising. "Now you're stepping into something that isn't your business, cousin. But…because you're worried enough to ask anyway…you know Kai well enough to understand that being close to someone is a new experience for him. He's never had someone to feel, Gods, so many different emotions for. His parents died when he was little, he hasn't known friendship as we have, and he definitely doesn't have a clue what love is all about - not like this. Kai needs time to adjust, to learn and process things, before he can say the words. I understand that and I will wait as patiently as I possibly can. I will give him whatever time I can."

Hilary listened and hung her head, slightly ashamed for not realizing that on her own. "I'm sorry, Takao. I would have known that had I thought about it a little more."

"Don't worry about it, cousin. Sometimes we all need someone to point out what's right in front of us before we can see it." Tyson forgave her, shrugging. "And when you're dealing with someone as enigmatic and puzzling as Kai…well, help is appreciated."

She laughed quietly. "You are very wise, Takao, despite being you."

"Hey!" He protested, though he couldn't help smiling, too. "Give me some credit, Hilary." Tyson got up after finishing his tea, glancing at the clock. "Well, I guess I'll go get Kai. He needs some sleep."

"He hasn't been sleeping?"

"Not as well as he should, I think." The Kinomiya sighed, running a hand through his bangs. "Like I said, he doesn't show it, but he's worried."

Hilary waved him toward the stairs. "Go on, then. I don't want another patient. I'll be back upstairs in a few minutes, Takao."

"Yeah. Sure."

Tyson went upstairs, followed by Dragoon, who came weaving through the air from the direction of the sitting room. The dragon mewled at him in question.

"What? You want to see how Tala's doing?"

{If no one minds. I know you're a little worried about Hilary, too, Takao. I'll stay with her, if you like.} Dragoon offered.

Tyson paused outside Tala's door. "I guess I would feel better if you kept an eye on her." Tyson folded his arms over his chest. "You're sure you don't mind?"

{Of course not. But if you don't mind getting my opinion, I don't think you need to worry about her.}

The bluenette made a face. "Too bad. I worry anyway - same as she has been over me."

{Good point.}

Tyson opened the door and quietly stepped inside. Kai, sitting beside the bed in Hilary's cushioned chair, glanced up.

"Hi." The Kinomiya whispered. "Any change?" He moved over to stand next to his lover.

"He hasn't woken up yet. But he looks better, doesn't he? I think he's got more colour." Kai whispered back.

Tyson draped an arm around Kai's shoulders and gave him a slight hug. "Yeah. I think you're right. Hilary says he's healing well. I bet he'll wake up any day now."

The prince nodded and let out a deep breath slowly. "Yeah."

"Come along, beloved. You need rest, too. Let Tala sleep and Hilary, Wolborg, and Dragoon will watch over him, okay?"

Kai let Tyson tug him up. "I'm fine, Kinomiya. I'd rather just…"

"Uh uhn. Come on. I don't want you getting ill and Hilary doesn't need another person to look after."

"But…"

Tyson reached up and laid a hand against Kai's cheek, staring into warm crimson eyes, letting Kai see the concern for him in his own midnight blue eyes. "I'm getting sleepy, too, beloved. It's after ten."

"Okay…fine." Kai gave in. Tyson smiled and leaned up to press a brief kiss to Kai's mouth. The prince gave a small sigh of pleasure and followed Tyson out the door without any further argument.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early the next morning, Tala finally woke up, a little confused and disoriented, and feeling weak as a newborn puppy. He also hurt like hell, all over, and with even the slightest of movements.

He opened his eyes cautiously, blinking blearily because his eyes felt gritty and heavy with sleep. He slowly managed to raise one hand to rub at his eyes and face then let his arm drop back to the bed. Just that simple act had used what felt like an inordinate amount of energy.

Tala yawned sleepily, deciding he was a bit uncomfortable, and when he shifted a bit stiffly, he noticed a weight next to him on the bed. He rolled his head to the side and glanced down to see the mass of rich mahogany-shaded hair on Hilary's head, where it rested on her folded arms on the mattress. She was still seated in the chair but was bent right over and had fallen asleep there, her face turned away toward the foot of the bed.

He tried to raise his hand to shake her awake but found that arm was stuck under the covers and pinned by Hilary's weight on them. So instead he opened his mouth and croaked, "Hey." Then he had to stop and clear his throat a few times because his voice was all raspy from disuse. "Hey!" He tried again, managing a bit more volume this time. "Wake up…please?"

Hilary didn't wake up but Wolborg did. Hearing his master's voice, the wolf sat up and looked at the bed, letting out a happy little yip when he saw Tala was awake. The white wolf trotted over to Hilary and nudged her with his nose insistently.

"Thanks, old friend." Tala rasped. "Glad to see you're alright, too."

Hilary stirred and swatted absently at the cold, damp nose that was in her face, sitting up stiffly with a yawn. "Wolborg! What do you want, pup? It's too early to…oh!" She stopped scolding the wolf when she glanced at Tala and stared directly into mesmerizing, surreal winter blue eyes that were wide open and watching her intently. "Goodness! You're awake!"

"Unless I'm dreaming…" Tala deadpanned. Hilary shook her head and bestowed the most beautiful smile he'd ever seen in his life on him.

"No. I'm pretty sure you're not, my Lord. Welcome back to the world of the living." She stood and filled a glass with water, setting it on the bedside table. "If I help you to sit up a bit, do you think you can handle drinking some water?"

"I could use some. My throat's sore and my mouth's dry." He told her, feeling slightly ashamed at the fact that he felt too weak and was in such pain that he could barely move without assistance. Despite that, however, he knew better than to turn away help when it was offered, as injured as he was.

Besides, it wasn't like he had the strength to protest anyway, right?

"I know. Here…" Hilary slowly and carefully helped him to sit up enough that he could drink his water without dribbling all over. She handed him the glass. "Drink slowly, please. You've hardly had anything to eat or drink in nearly two weeks - only what I've managed to pour down your throat since you've been here."

Obediently, Tala sipped a mouthful and swallowed carefully. Just that little bit was all his stomach would handle at the moment, though, and Hilary took the glass back. "How long have I been here?" He asked, frowning. "And where is here?" Everything was so hazy.

"Nearly two weeks. And you're at the home of some friends of Tyson's and mine. You're badly injured, my Lord, and then you had a bought with a fever a few days ago that really didn't help you any." She informed him. "Frankly, I don't know how you even managed to get here in the condition you're in."

"Maybe I'm just that strong." He tried to joke weakly, his eyes drifting closed. He was so tired.

"Strong willed, maybe. Stubborn - certainly." Hilary smiled a little, tucking him in again. "Rest. Wolborg will stay here with you and I will go make you something to eat and get you something to ease your pain." She squeezed his hand briefly and let go, turning to leave.

Tala opened his eyes again with great effort and grabbed her wrist to stop her. "Wait! Please…"

Hilary turned back to him. "What is it?"

"If you're here, then can I assume that your…cousin? He's here, too?"

"Takao is here…Tyson, I mean. I imagine he's still asleep but he's here." Hilary nodded. "And Kenny, and Kai, too."

Tala breathed a sigh of relief, sagging back against the pillows. "Oh good. I…was concerned that maybe you would have split up and gone separate ways from here."

Hilary had to smile at that. After all she'd witnessed between their cousins, she highly doubted anything could separate Kai and Tyson now. "No. We didn't. Now, I want you to rest, okay? And don't worry about the rest of it for now. There's plenty of time to sort everything out…"

By the time she trailed off, Tala had already fallen asleep again. So, she gently brushed a lock of his red hair from his face and left him to sleep, a watchful, relieved Wolborg at the side of the bed.

*************************************

Authoress' Notes: Well, that was another one of those not so exciting, yet necessary chapters. More coming soon! Please R/R!