Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Nocturnal habits ❯ A queen of ice and snow ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The night had come to Russia. The cold winter wind swept around the corners of the Biovolt complex, it sounded like it was howling. Kai lay awake, unable to sleep for some reason. He thought of the boy Kentawa, he'd seen it before. He knew what happened to those who lost. The Russian winter is a magnificent but dangerous thing. Beautiful, but dangerous. It had been so many years since he'd seen the snow, he was always kept underground here, ever since his first and only attempt to escape the from the clutches of Boris. It had been back in the days when he'd been a believer. He'd thought that there were such things as hope and freedom. Maybe there was, out in the world. But not here, not at Biovolt. Only darkness dwelled in these halls.
 
A sudden movement to his right announced that there was someone else awake. He heard a rustle of paper being turned and then, nothing. It must be Serenity who's awake. His first thought was to pretend to be asleep, but he somehow got the feeling that she knew that he was awake. The rustle of paper again, she must be reading in that book. How could she have gotten it in here anyway? They weren't allowed to have books, nothing that could create ideas of any kind. He had a feeling that ideas were banned here, `cause any idea could be the idea of how to get out of here. But he knew. There was only one way out of here, and it was throughout those wooden doors of the chapel.
 
He jerked suddenly. It was pitch-black in here, how could she be reading? The urge to say something was indisputable.
 
“You should be asleep.” He said, trying to keep his voice emotionless, he succeeded. She turned page in the book again before replying.
 
“So should you.” Her tone suggested boredom, like a kitten in a box with too high walls to climb over. She'd just cut him off; it was usually he who did that.
 
“You'll need the rest tomorrow.” He told her, thinking that he should have kept his mouth shut from the beginning.
 
“I never sleep...” Kai jumped so high that he hit his head in Tala's bed above him. He'd felt her cold breath in his ear when she whispered to him. She must be standing right in front of him. But the he heard her turn page again, across the room... He felt a chill down his spine. His stomach still twisted from the surprise. A sudden utter made him jump again, but nor nearly as high as the last time.
 
“Who are you talking to Kai?” Tala asked him with confusion. Over in her corner, Serenity lit a candle that spread some light in the room. Her eyes looked scary in the faint light, they reminded him of a predator eyes. She was sitting in her bed with the black book on her lap.
 
“Oh,” said Tala “I should have figured.”
 
“How can you read in the dark?” Kai asked her, the question really bugged him. He just needed to know. The girl smiled just like the cat must smile when it catches a sight of a mouse.
 
“I need no light to see in the dark.” She answered him and tilted her head to the side. Then, almost too fast for their eyes to register, she closed the book and put it in her bag on the floor by her side. Tala was amazed.
 
“How do you do that? Who are you?” She smiled again, this smile was nasty, and Kai felt that chill run down his back again. Her corner teeth were oddly shaped. Pointy and curved, like a predators fangs.
 
“I'm the queen of ice and snow.” She had an odd undertone in her voice. Could it be pride?
 
“Oh, come on. Who are you really?” Tala asked again, obviously thinking that she was joking. Kai however wasn't as sure of that. He thought that she was as serious as she could be. Not that it said anything to him, `queen of ice and snow'.
 
“I'm your worst nightmare. I live in the shadow, tempt people into dark alleys during the night. I dwell in time, waiting. Waiting for something, a sign maybe. The sign that my time has come.” Suddenly Kai understood what she was referring to. But just the bare thought of it was stupid. There are no such things as vampires.
 
“Are you really sure about that Kai?” she asked him and laughed at his reaction. There was something cold in her laugh, like someone had stolen every bit of warmth from her.
 
As dead come to life
and the hearts of men turn to stone,
a new order shall rise,
and we shall hide no more...” Serenity whispered, her eyes burning with a light that didn't came from the candle in her hand. She smiled again and revealed her pointy teeth. In his heart, Kai actually thought that she was telling the truth, but his mind still couldn't accept the thought. Vampires belong in stories made to scare small children, not in the real world were man is the vampire.
 
“But you can't be. Vampires sleep in coffins and they turn to dust in daylight.” Kai replied to her. She just shook her head with a disappointed look on her face.
 
“No you've got it all wrong. I am no vampire.” The boys sighed in relief. “They have been extinct for ages. I told you, a new order shall rise. Daywalkers, we shall be. There will be no more hiding in the dark for the children of Akasha. We are evolving, adapting to a life in the light. And when the time has come, we shall enter the light again like we did over a thousand years ago.”
 
Kai met Tala's gaze, it was obvious that the beautiful, white haired girl was crazy as an egg. But when he met her predator-ish eyes, he wasn't so sure anymore.
 
“You don't have to believe me. It will all show in time. I'm staying here for now, but when the time comes, I will leave to join the leader. The book tells me that it's time soon, a thousand years more maybe. Then I will hide no more, when Akasha rises again I shall never hide again. Good night boys, it's time for bed.” She said and blew out the candle.
 
The darkness lay thick again...
 
.......~*~~*~~*~.......