Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Scattered Heart ❯ Woods ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Scattered Heart Ch.3: Woods

Rukiabi: Sorry for the extremely late update. I promise to have Syndicate Ch.4 done soon as well. My writing gets a little poor after the first half of this chappy. Sorries once again.
 
Disclaimer: All characters of Beyblade are © of Aoki Takao.
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
“Kai… sweety,” She pleaded to me desperately with hopeful and watering eyes. “Come here.”
 
Tears streaked down the side of her sunken cheeks as she raised out her arms, hands reaching for me. Even though her eyes were red rimmed from crying so much, they seemed even wider than usual. Her smiles wavered between comfort and delirium. I didn't want to go to her. I didn't want to be in her embrace, but she was so sad. She was crying. She was seeking me for a comfort I honestly couldn't give her; no matter how tightly she squeezed me into her bosom, those tears would continue to fall. But this mother hugged me anyway and I was pulled in by her desperate claws.
 
“That's right honey… I love you.”
 
But I don't… feel that way for you. I don't want to be here. Here in your arms, it feels so wrong and so cold. There isn't any warmth here. I pulled out of her chest and backed away with hesitating steps.
 
“Wait Kai, where are you going?”
 
Not there and not with you.
 
“Why are you running away from me?”
 
You're the one chasing me.
 
“I love you!”
 
You're scaring me…
 
“I've done everything for you! I raised you; I gave birth to you!”
 
`No, stop it.' I said in mute. This is a dream. It cannot be real. My real mother, was she always this sad?
 
“You owe me with your life.”
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
My eyes shot open before I was even aware that I was awake. Her gruesome melting face was etched into the underside of my eyelids. Why did it have to be her?
 
`Kai… there's something I need to tell you. May I come in?'
 
Why did I have to dream about her? It had been like as if I had never left her there broken on my bed; I never ran away. And instead, it was a foretelling of the future if I hadn't left. If I had stayed, would my mother have turned to me with love endeavoring eyes just like in my dream?
 
“You're awake! Are you alright? You kind of fainted while we were coming down…”
 
A blue eyed wonder leaned over me with a worried expression. I've seen that boy in a previous dream where I had been flying through the clouds… It was a dream I was still in.
 
I sat up, forcing the boy named Takao to move a few inches away from me in order to give me room to breath.
 
“Why am I here?”
 
Takao cocked his head curiously to the side. “Huh?”
 
“Forget it.” Getting up, I brushed dirt and woodchips off my jeans and took a better look at my situation. It's obvious now that there's no way for me to get out of this world just by asking questions. I felt like mouthing `No one will help me; I can only help myself' until I felt a warm hand on my wrist.
 
“Where are you going?”
 
I really didn't feel like saying anything but I suppose he deserved an obvious answer. “Out of these woods.”
 
“You don't want to stick together?”
 
And how would that help me? My life was probably put into more danger just being around that guy during the last few minutes or hours or… in fact I don't even know how long it's been since I became induced in this dream state. But I don't plan on staying here any longer, not around this warmth.
 
“Let go of me.”
 
His hand lingered around my wrist for a few more seconds before letting go at last. I took a step but felt something wrapped around my other foot, stopping me from completing another step.
 
“I said Let Go of ME!”
 
But when I turned around to give the wonder boy my pissed-off expression, I could only stare blankly for he hadn't moved from his kneeling position. I looked down at my feet and noticed a thick green vine tightening its grip around my ankle.
 
“What the…?”
 
The vine began to spiral up my leg and more vines appeared out of the ground, crawling up my body. “What is this?!?”
 
Takao yelped as he barely flew out of grasp of a couple of vines attempting to entangle him within their malleable prison.
 
I tried struggling against the vines grasp but it was futile as I felt myself being raised into the air and pulled closer and closer to the branches of a nearby tree.
 
“Hey, let go of him!” Takao flew up beside me and pulled at the vines gripping me but then some more vines came up behind him and wrapped around his waist and legs; where his hands had tried to free me were being encircled in vines as well.
 
“What's… going on?” I struggled as the vines tightened around us further.
 
“What's going on indeed?” From across us, crouched on a high branch of a tree, was a boy with piercing yellow eyes; his pupils pointed to a sliver.
 
“Two trespassers in my domain.”
 
“Are you the one controlling these vines?” I demanded.
 
“No,” the newcomer stood up, “they're working of their own accord, that is, to catch intruders.”
 
I tried kicking but the vines held strong. I could only give him a heated glare. “Let us go.”
 
The boy leapt off the branch and landed on a vine-tangled platform right in front of me giving me a clear view of his long, black braided hair, elfin ears, nails sharpened to a spike, and two white fangs peering through curved lips. He wore a dark pale green tank top, pale brown shorts; a pair of what looked liked red biker gloves on his hands, red tube socks on his feet, and a red bandana around his forehead.
 
His pointed teeth gleamed in the sunlight. “Why should I? You guys were the ones who intruded on my territory.”
 
“We didn't mean it!” Takao inputted. “Your forest was the only place where we could land from above.”
 
“You guys came from the sky?” The boy narrowed his eyes and extended his claws. “That's pretty smart of you, but I won't let you escape. You will be punished for attempting to burn my trees.”
 
“Burn your trees? What are you talking about?” Now I'm totally lost. This guy is nuts.
 
“You!” He pointed a claw straight at me. “You have the scent of cinder wood and fire! You're obviously from the volcanic region where the Black Phoenix resides. I bet you're one of the causes of the forest fires in the east.”
 
“Black Phoenix? I don't know of this `Black Phoenix' and I don't have any intentions of burning down your pathetic trees.”
 
“Pathetic trees?” A vein popped out on the side of the feline boy's forehead.
 
“Now, now uhehe…” Takao smiled nervously, “He didn't mean that really and we truly don't know what you're talking about. We aren't associated with the Black Phoenix in anyway so please let us go.”
 
The boy crouched down on the vines and stared at the odd couple before him. “I can't trust you guys…”
 
“Look,” I finally spoke up since I was sick of being hanged in the air like a doll, “I just want to get out of these woods so if you want, you can lead us out and you can keep an eye on us and make sure none of hurt your trees or plants or whatever you like. This way, we'll be out of the woods and you won't have intruders in your territory. It's a win-win situation. Deal?”
 
The cat boy stared at us for another minute as if contemplating something in his head before speaking, “Well, you guys don't look harmful. I guess I can trust you just this once.”
 
The vines lowered us to the ground, loosening its grip at the same time and when we finally touched soil, the vines slid back into the dirt from whence it came.
 
Takao floated back in air and twirled three times, “It's good to be free!”
 
The feline boy hopped off the vine platform and landed swiftly a meter before me. “The name's Rei. I'll lead you to the edge of the wood, but if you guys do anything suspicious, I'll have my plants squeeze the life out of you before you can even scream.”
 
I stared at the fist Rei was holding in his left hand. This was just great. First I was caught on a floating cotton ball and met up with Peter Pan, and then I had to fall into a Venus vine trap and get stuck with Jungle Boy.
 
“Why… why am I still dreaming?” I fisted my hair with both hands, staring at nothing. I don't know where I am, I don't know where I'm going; I don't know anything anymore.
 
A warm hand lightly held my shoulder. “Hey, are you okay?”
 
I shrugged it off. “Leave me alone.”
 
“This way!” Rei waved an arm from beside a spruce-like tree.
 
Even as I stumbled towards my new `companion', I heard a whisper from behind me, “I won't.”
 
And I stared up at the dimming sky. Stars were beginning to peak through the transparent cotton clouds even though it was still so light out.