Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ The All American EMO! ❯ Rabbit Hole ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE: RABBIT HOLE
 
Kai Hiwatatri tall dark handsome, inwardly and secluded a boy of unjust talents and brazen appeal. The perfect image, the perfect boyfriend and best of all single! Single and sadly looking to stay the way putting a damper on every girls dream. The positive being, being able to gain his attention, becoming the center of his sights so that when he does decides he wants someone . . . YOU'LL BE IT! Yes the perfect plan, the perfect situation . . .

”Leave me alone I don't want a girlfriend.”

”But Kai think about it, if it isn't me then who? Someone is bound to try this, bound to attempt to get in the way and become even more annoying then me!”

”I said I don't care Salima; I can take care of myself. I do not need a female hanging off of me. Besides you have Johnny don't you? I'd assume he'd be all kinds of angry if I pretend dated you.”

”Johnny is not my boyfriend, never will be and it wouldn't be pretend it'd be real. Sure you don't like me but I'd grow on you.”

”Grow on me. I've known you for what a few months and you think dating me, will sudden change your affect on me?”

”It did with Johnny!”

”I thought you said you two aren't together?”

”We aren't but I changed him . . . “

”Salima look I . . . “

”Appreciate?”

”No, I can see where you are coming from but I'll simply tell the girls off. I don't have to date the first girl who opens her legs for me. I don't have to fall madly in love with the first bubbly ditz who throws a love letter in my locker. I'll be fine. Now if you'll excuse me I think I'm going to go home.”

”You know Kai you shouldn't think so lightly, you fell for Hilary and hard!”

”I didn't date her because I loved her I dated her because it was shocking. I liked the attention but it ran out.”
 
“That's why you broke up with her today?”

”Yes, besides I think you'd be surprised at whom I do like!”

”Who do you like?”

”Someone who isn't you someone who isn't just a girl and someone who isn't 19!”

”Really now . . . Well I don't intend to guess so I'll see you around.”

”Around, you could say that! Night,”

”Night!”

Kai rolled his shoulders his backpack strap slipping lower on his arm hanging the pack closer to the ground. It'd been a long tedious day, from breaking up with Hilary which was more like attempting a demolition without dynamite, to having to talk about the break up. It seemed everyone in the school thought Kai had been madly in love with the little brown haired loud mouth. Like Kai had told Salima he hadn't dated Hilary for loves sake, he'd done it for popularity. Dating was the thing to do it helped make a name for a no-name depending on who you dated, how public your affections where or where not. Kissing in front of the lockers and people know, don't kiss and only brush hands and people suspect things. Either way it drew attention made you known and that was what Kai was about. Being known, being popular and being the center of attention without any work.

Kai was a self centered individual a kid with a chip on his shoulder and no place to put it. He strutted around the school like he owned the damn land it was built on, most likely did considering who his grandfather was and he made a show as if he were some divinity to be worshiped. Damn nearly came close, girls swoon at the sight of him, guys bicker about how to look like him and teacher huff at the thought of him. Everyone in the school knew him; everyone wanted something to do with him. Join the clubs Kai is in, play the games Kai plays, eat the food he eats, do what he does. All in all it was a giant game of monkey see, monkey do and it was what Kai liked. He never did anything to deserve the reputation, nor did he do anything to keep it either, besides make a few “bold” moves, that were more mindless acts then anything else.

However there was a side of Kai most people did not know. He had his affections, he had a heart and it was smitten as he told Salima his heart was taken to someone older, a woman who stayed nameless. She was someone Kai spoke with often when traveling to see friends, more specifically Max. She was sadly a married woman but none the less Kai was engrossed in her. Her name was Judy and she was Max's mother, when they first meet it'd been formal almost business like in nature. Shake hands, smile and nod the typical business meeting protocol. Jude had taken Kai's hand firmly in her own with a good grip that was hard enough to let you know she meant business but soft enough to know she should not be feared. Kai honestly respected Judy and what she did, this respect had slowly grown to admiration and from admiration to a confused state of affection and from that state Kai figured it was love. Since then he'd been deluded on the fact and dwelled on the knowledge he couldn't have her. This made the prior mentioned dating a difficult affair that lead to more trouble the good but the advantages where there, the image it was all about the image and Kai used it like a tool.

Walking down the street his feet dragging slowly step by step, Kai wondered into his neighbourhood a rich epicentre of massive mansions owned by every head of every corporation this side of the moon. His Grandfather was the owner of a Russian company that produced a set of popular kids toys, his Grandfather also worked closely with the scientific community. Often times Kai heard his Grandfather mention the advantages of technology, stuff about robotic advances and most importantly the money he could made on robotic toys. It was all in a common dinner conversation, Kai would agree with his Grandfathers suggestions or criticism till dinner was over. Then Kai would leave for his room claiming he had homework to complete or a test to study for. Not that his Grandfather cared all too much, he'd simply huff and grunt sending Kai on his way. Sometimes not often, rarely Kai's Grandfather gave him a bit of praise, “good job” and “proud to see a young one doing some work” but that was the extent nothing more.

Groaning Kai stopped where he was standing at the corner to his homes property beside the front gate, where a long gravel drive way wound its way through the foliage of the `fake' forest in his front yard. The trees were all that was left of the original lands before the city sold the rights to the property and real-estate made its roots. Kai had always called the bush a forest, playing long hours in the trees but now it was only a pain in the ass. Leaves in the fall, bugs in the summer, swampy mess in the spring and a barren dead bundle of twigs in the winter; currently it was a bug infested terror zone.

”Grandfather really must have been daff to leave those damned tree standing,” Kai bickered while fiddling with the gates lock, a finicky little key pad the worked less the half the time and decided all the rest of the time to be useless piece of crap. “Arhg, damned keys,” Kai hissed dropping his bag to his feet to take a closer look at the keypad which refused to work. Kai leaned into the pad his nose pressed close to the keys where he whispered a few death threats before pressing the buttons. A tactic though truly useless against and inanimate object, made the person whispered at least feel a little better!

”Having troubles with your gate?” a rough grating voice asked and Kai lifted his nose from the pad. Sanding but a few feet away was an elderly looking fellow, no one Kai knew in particular, not a face he recognised. The man was a bulky gent, shoulders built like an ox with a thick neck short body and heavy sturdy legs. He was wearing a thick black coat that would have hung to his knees if not for his round middle the coat clung to the man's mass cutting off a few inches from his knees. His legs were clad in what looked like plain old jeans and his feet were in a pair of sneakers. On his head was a hat that matched nothing beside the orange brown of the man's shirt under the coat. To Kai the whole getup was absolutely questionable, a coat in the summer? What was this man on, happy pink pills from the retirement home? Either way the guy was talking to Kai and Kai though feeling a bit awkward answered.

”Yeah it's finicky sometimes but there is no problem . . . I'll jump the fence if I have too!” Kai nodded to the man bringing his hand up to scratch the back of his neck. An innocent gesture he did when caught in a situation much like the one he was in. Nervous habit you could call it or an attempt to seem less of a threat then he was.

”I don't think there will be all too much fence hopping today son,” The old man responded his voice a gravely undertone.

”Whys that?” Kai retorted lowering his arm to his side and leaning on one foot Kai tilted his head eyeing up the old bugger.

”No reason in particular, I only figure you'll be following me instead.” The old man spoke nonsense; follow him like a mindless bloke for no apparent reason besides he said something peculiar. Kai thought not, he wasn't going to chase and old man or more like stalk, what'd this guy think he was?

”Ah I think not.” Kai rolled his eyes and turned back to his troublesome little keypad.

”Ahem,” the old man coughed. “I know your going to follow me.”

Taking in a deep breath Kai stood up straight and turned again to look at the old man. “No I'm not following you, I'm not twelve anymore and I'm not interested. Go away.”

”You like E.M.O”

Kai blinked his face twisting into a sideways `huh' look that screamed `WTF MATE'. What was this old bugger talking about spelling the letters E, M and O? What was an E.M.O anyways it made no sense. Emo from what Kai knew was a word for those depressed gothic shits that pranced around his school. All aspiring band members, stoners and candidates for the world's worst dressed. They were the annoying fuckers that Kai hated but was sadly labelled him self by a few people around the school. He wasn't EMO but quite, since when was quiet emo? Then again people might say since when was goth emo? Kai couldn't dispute the fact but still what was the old man talking about.
 
“Excuse me?” Kai asked.

”E.M.O” was the old mans response before tipping his hat to Kai like in old western movies. Then with an awkward lumbering turn the man headed back the way Kai assumed he'd come. Leaving Kai standing in front of his houses gate staring blankly at the space the man had been. Since where the man had been was something worth staring at. It was as if the old man left a portal, it was the best way Kai could think of it. There was this burry buddle the side of the old man, it wavered and jiggled. The mass was transparent Kai could see right through it. What was peculiar was when Kai looked through the buddle the old man wasn't exactly an old man, far from, so far from it wasn't even plausible.

The old man was no longer a chunky poorly dressed guy; he was a tall skinny gent. He had a long skim body, lengthy legs and a tail? Kai blinked and furrowed his brow a tail truly was what he saw. A small white tuff of fluff sat at the base of the man's back by his bum. To add to the eye drawing effect the guy had a head of light grey hair, cut short to his head that sprouted a pair of flopping bunny ears. Kai had to have been not eating right, what the hell could explain it besides malnourishment causing him to hallucinate.

Yet there was something about the bubble about what was going on that gave Kai a chill. The resounding thought “Your going to follow me” rung at the back of Kai's head like a fire alarm. It was true Kai was going to follow him how could he not, not follow this guy. Seriously bunny ears it all had to be a joke a really bad but well executed joke of epic proportions?

Reaching down with one hand Kai wrapped his fingers around the arm strap to his back, pulling the small pack up Kai slung it over his shoulder. The bag was filled with a few text books and a half eaten lunch, Kai knew he would not be home for dinner tonight. Something gave him the feeling that this would be a fairly long walk and a fairly long walk it was indeed. As Kai placed one foot through the wavering portal bubble he stood precariously on one foot. His eyes locked onto the rabbit boy slowly moving further and further away. Kai swallowed past the thrum of his heart beat, so far so good, nothing had eaten his foot or touched him in any unfriendly or overly friendly ways! The next boy part was his other foot which he slowly moved into the portal, the whole time keeping his upper body out of the damned thing. Kai simply could not trust it but again so far so good. Kai finally took a deep breath and held it between puffed up cheeks. Pulling his head into the portal Kai found himself standing in a dark undulating mass of purplish shadows. The shadows seemed to dance around Kai not touching him so much as floating around him, like there was an invisible layer between him and the shadowy thing.

”Welcome,” a voice vaguely resembling the old mans without the gravely undertone to it, spoke.

Kai adjusted himself where he stood the swirling mass of black shadows whipping around him. He couldn't see where the voice came from, he could only hear it as if it came from every which directions. For all Kai knew whom ever was talking to hi, could have been stranding right there. None the less Kai called back, “Welcome to where?” He asked lifting his foot once more pushing it through the shadows. The damned things were like walking through mud they sucked you down and held you threatening to keep your shoe if you pulled to hard to fast.

”To a questionable place,” another voice difference from the one of the once old man, this one was happier, if you will a male voice but more sing song. It was a welcome chime in the darkness but still it did not help `a questionable place' the place was indeed but that did not help Kai in the least. The darkness that sucked him down and felt like it held him was becoming thicker and walking through the damned mass was harder then it had been a few steps before. Kai simply wanted a clear answer and a way out and `a questionable place' was not the answer he wanted.

”Thanks but where is a questionable place?” Kai asked his voice biting, laced with his displeasure in being trapped.
 
“Oh don't talk to him he is upset he can't move,” came a third voice, a female voice that was clearly a bit giggly said. Like it was something to be amused about when it was not. Kai only groaned at the lack of help and pulled his foot forward, dragging it against the force that attempted to hold it down. “See look he's angry, look at his face. . .” The voice paused. “I SAID LOOK,” it screamed and like most girls this girls voice could scream and scream with the best of them. She had that high pitched squeak that made any guy squirm and made other girls itch to retaliate.

”I am looking,” a four voice also female snapped back. Like Kai suspected the voice had the equally annoying squealing rage.

”No looking close enough.”

”Yes I am, look he's frowning, see I told you I can see him. I told you I am looking.”

”Still not close enough!”

”I AM LOOKING CLOSE ENOUGH”

”No your not.”

”Yes I am.”

”No.”

”YES.”

”No.”

”YES.”

”SHUT UP.” Kai stumbled over his own to feet as the two female voices bickered like twelve year old girls in the park after school. `Good lords do they have nothing better to do then fight over nothing?' Kai thought to himself as he righted his stumbling step and heard a loud `SPLASH' found echo up from his feet. Followed by the sensation of his feet getting wet?

Kai lifted his foot the shadows clinging to his every limb making it terribly hard to see anything at all, at least not without getting a nose away from what you wanted to see. Kai balanced as best he could on one foot and with his hands he grasped his boot and lowered his head. His feet were definitely wet whatever he'd stepped in was a tad thicker then water, smelt metallic and salty and had a sticky texture to it. Yet Kai could not make out its color with the black swirling around him. Lowering his foot down Kai took another step hearing the came wet echoing splash emanate from his feet. Once more he balanced and dragged his foot to his nose in hopes he could see what he was walking in.

”Oh for gods' sakes boy don't do that” another voice, a different voice then the strangely silent females, which reminded Kai why had they stopped because he told them to shut up? That was odd in and of its self, not to mention no female was quiet in the face of a man, especially not when they were fighting like the pair had been. “Put your foot down,” the voice added in exasperation, understandable if he . . . it had to listen to those girls . . . its!

”And who might you be?” Kai lowered her boot and made his statement a question. He knew it would most likely be a strange answer, looking at what he'd gotten already there wasn't too much he could expect of the norm.

”If I told you would you stop pulling your strange roots from the ground? It is quite disgusting,”

Kai slowly blinked completely missing what the man said. “Roots?” Kai whispered while looking down to where his feet were though he still could not see past the shadows. “Roots, what roots?” Kai looked up then and spoke into the dark. “I don't have roots, I'm no plant.” Kai stated he felt rather insulted that anyone would assume him a plant, actually it was more perplexing then anything where was he that they though human plants?

”Your not a really strange looking flower?” the first girl asked, she honestly sounded as perplexed as Kai felt. Was he a flower, seriously.

”No I am not a flower I'm a human.” Kai darted back and moved his foot once more.

”Boris you said he was a strange flower” the second girl whined.

”Sorry girls” the man apologised. “I did not know, he came through the garden gate and I thought he might be a new flower. The rabbit said we should make sure to water him so he grows.”

”We did water him Boris, we did we did.” The first male voice said sounding very proud.

”Um, excuse me but this human doesn't need watering. I need some help getting out of here. Now . . .” Kai interrupted.

”In good time human, right now you need dark like the Rabbit said.”

”No I don't old man,” Kai snapped back kicking as best he could into the dark.

”Yes you do the Rabbit said so,” The childish male voice.
 
Kai blinked his mind grinding to a complete halt that was right he followed the rabbit or the old man actually. He remembered the fluffy tail and the ears and the hair. He remember the portal he'd come through and how he forgot about it baffled Kai. So where was the rabbit? Where had it gone, Kai had been following the fellow but what happened to him? Had the dark taken hold of him like it did Kai or wait the voices knew, all Kai had to do was ask!

”Rabbit what Rabbit?” Kai slowly asked hoping for a semi clear answer he could work with.

”The White Rabbit boy” the old man, Boris as they called him said.

”You mean the one that turns into an old man?” Kai figured he'd give it a go, maybe these voices would answer after all.

”Old man, the only old man is Boris here” this voice was a strange one, female but assertive not like the other two. “The White Rabbit is the Queens helper Human, if that really is your name. Still he is no old man but he was wrong about you, you are no flower.” The voice tapered off and fell silent as with the rest of the voices. Kai blinked against the dark haze still holding his feet down into whatever these flowers were watering him with. Kai knew that whatever it was it was far to warm for his liking, after standing for so long in one place the `water' had leaked into his boots. He could feel his toes getting wet around the edges, sticky like his fingers after holding his feet up.

”Okay I get that but who are you, where am I and what the hell is going on here?” Kai snapped and waited.

”Your in the garden and we're flowers and we are watering you. Were you not listening Human? We've been telling you all along what you wanted to know.” The harder female voice answered.

”Fine then show yourselves,” Kai ordered his frustration peeking. “Get rid of this black shadowy mess too. I can't move in it, it's weighing my feet down into your so called water. Which doesn't smell or feel like water at all.”

”Fine, Boris call off the Queens Wrath and let Human up,” The girls ordered the old man Boris and like magic as if the damned shadowy mess had never existed in the first place, it disappeared. What was left was a sight Kai wished he had not needed to see. From as far as his eye could see the ground was covered in a red liquid, to thick to be just water but to red to be anything besides blood. Blood, for the love of all that was holy it was blood that feed these so called flowers, flowers Kai couldn't see just yet. Flowers that through Kai heard they hovered above his head out of sight.

”BLOOD” Kai shouted pulling his feet up with the most unexpected easy, clearly the shadowy mass that the female called the Queens Wrath was what made this demented place difficult to walk in. “Who the hell waters flowers with blood?” Kai turned about where he stood, his feet splashing in the blood water that made him feet so very unnerved by the whole situation. He knew now, if not before but for complete surety that he was not in his own world. No this place was a twisted demented pit somewhere, someplace Kai couldn't not pin point.
“You are very loud” the stern female voice spoke unlike before this time the voice was soon accompanied by a flower. Honest to god a flower, a tinny black rose, with a long winding and undulating stem that sprouted from the blood water that flowed at their feet. Kai stared that the rose, searching for a face that would give a more human appeal to the object. Sadly there was none, not yet at least. Kai could make out where the eyes should have been and the mouth, small dark shades against the biggest inside peddles of the rose. This rose also was nearly the side of Kai's own face. “We water flowers with blood.” The flower answered Kai next question. “We are the Queen of Hearts vampire roses, rare roses from a far off land of darkness. The homeland of the queen where creatures of dark fantasies live and breed like rats, we are but a few of our kind brought by the Queen when she left home in search of new lands to claim as her own.” The rose told a short but interesting story, one that gave Kai an idea where he was. Though he did not like the prospects of this idea nor did he like the picture this story was painting. None the less he knew something, more then he knew before.

”This is like Alice in Wonderland,” Kai made it a statement for be did not intend to ask the flowers of a story from his own world. However this tale stared out unlike Alice's story, she didn't have to deal with an old man turning into a rabbit. “So flower can you,”

”I'm not just a flower I have a name you know.” The rose cut in.

”Then what is it?”

”Queen.”

”That's it just Queen?” Kai blinked his eyes at the rose and quirked his head to one side.

”Yes . . . The others are Hilary, Mariam, Oliver and Boris,” Queen listed the names in the order Kai had heard the voices.

”Okay, Queen can you tell me why I'm here?”

”Can you tell me why you are here?” Queen answered the question with a question!

”I don't know why I'm here . . . “

”We don't either” This came from Boris.

”But . . . “ Kai waited for a moment, why was he here? Honestly he'd followed the Rabbit, followed the old man like the old man said he would. He was here because of some old man saying he would be. Kai closed his eyes and thought for a moment. “I'm here following the . . . White Rabbit do you know where he went?” Kai looked up at Queen.

”He's on his way to the Queens Palace,” Queen answered and with an otherworldly eloquence she turned and rolled herself to point in the direction Kai could only assume the White Rabbit had went. “That way,” Queen whispered with a wiggle of her peddles?

”Thanks,” Kai stood for a long, long while his mind tugging at him to turn back around and go home. Sadly Kai knew that the way he'd come was the not way out. With a begrudging groan Kai easily placed one foot in front of the other, each step sloshing through blood water. Later Kai would figure out these flowers, for now he left the glittery little things behind. He had a White Rabbit to follow.