Bleach Fan Fiction / Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ Princes of Death ❯ Awakenings ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Princes of Death: A High-spirited Saga
Author: chibi-kyuubi
Genre: Action/Adventure/General
Rating: K+
Summary: Prince of Tennis and Bleach crossover. The Seigaku regulars go to Karakura Town for an exhibition match, but end up getting influenced by Ichigo's reiatsu. Will they be able to master their newfound powers before it is too late to save Tokyo City from being turned into a base of operations by Aizen's minions?
Disclaimer: I neither own Bleach nor Prince of Tennis.
-----
Chapter 3: Awakenings
Echizen woke up a few hours later at a bed inside a hospital. Even though it was just a little past dinner time, Echizen felt like he could eat a horse. In fact, when he thought about it, he has never been so hungry in his life. Without getting up, he turned his head to look around and see if anyone else was in the room. He was happy to find Momoshiro there, sitting on a chair to his right, wearing similar hospital clothes, helping himself to a container of yogurt. The second year noticed that Echizen was already awake and immediately jumped into the younger boy's bed, hugging him with one arm.
“Ah, I can't breathe Momo-senpai,” Echizen said as he tried to free himself from the taller boy.
“You were sleeping for too long,” Momoshiro said, grinning. “Everyone else woke up before you did.”
“You mean everyone also passed out?” Echizen asked. Too many questions were now popping into his mind. “Where are we? How did I get here? What really happened back there? My body suddenly felt very heavy then I fainted.”
“Slow down, Echizen,” Momoshiro said. “First of all we're at a private hospital in Karakura Town. Someone found us all unconscious at the soccer field and called for ambulances. I don't have a clear memory of what happened back there but I guess I felt the same way as you did.”
The door to Echizen's room opened, and Kikumaru stepped in, carrying a tray full of hospital food.
“Ochibi is awake already?” Kikumaru said. “Perfect timing, I have your food right here. I bet you must be really hungry.”
“How did you know Kikumaru-senpai?” Echizen wondered.
“Well, when I woke up I felt like I haven't eaten for a year,” Kikumaru answered. “And when I told Oishi about it, he said that everyone felt the same way when they got up. Momo here almost bit off the nurse's hand thinking that it was food.”
“Kikumaru-senpai!” Momoshiro said as his face turned red with embarrassment. Echizen tried his best not to laugh out loud.
“Here you go,” Kikumaru said as he placed the food tray on Echizen's lap. “Oh, in case you're wondering, Tezuka, Oishi, and Inui are at the nurses' station calling up Ryuuzaki-sensei and our families, Kaidoh is still eating at his room, while Taka-san and Fuji went out to eat real food, not this hospital junk”
“The doctors allowed them to go out?” Echizen asked.
“Yeah,” Momoshiro answered. “They said we just fainted from exhaustion and that we should be okay after a few hours of rest.”
“They didn't find it odd that we all fainted at almost the same?” Echizen wondered.
“Now that you mention it, it does seem weird,” Kikumaru said.
“Hurry up eating, Echizen,” Momoshiro interrupted. “After you finish that, let's go out and feast on some fine burgers. Want to go with us Kikumaru-senpai?”
“Sure,” Kikumaru answered. He looked at Echizen and saw a terrified expression on the freshman's face. “What's wrong ochibi?”
Echizen almost choked on a grape. He just saw a woman wearing hospital clothes and a chain on her chest walk through the wall in front of him, or he thought she did. Did that woman just pass through the wall? And is it just my imagination or was she floating as well? Echizen shook his head. Nah, maybe I'm still a little dizzy from what happened earlier.
“Echizen?” Momoshiro and Kikumaru asked at the same time.
“It's nothing senpais,” Echizen said. I hope it is.
-----
Meanwhile, Kaidoh sat on his bed, leaning against the headboard. He was still eating and at the same time reflecting on what had just happened to them. He was probably the last one to pass out from the group as he can still remember seeing his teammates drop one by one on the ground. He couldn't understand why they fainted like that; he just remembered feeling like something was pushing them down towards the ground. But what Kaidoh really couldn't figure out was that he remembered seeing an orange-haired boy wearing a black hakama, protecting them from a giant monster wearing a scary white mask. The second year had almost finished eating when a pale-faced old man suddenly appeared in front of him. But before Kaidoh could politely ask what the old man was doing there, he realized, to his horror that the old man was in fact, translucent, and that his entire body passed through a chair. The terrified second year jumped out of his bed and ran as fast as he could, his heart racing, towards the nurses' station.
-----
The team's main powerhouse, Kawamura Takashi sat across the prodigy Fuji Syusuke at a table inside a café several blocks away from the hospital. Kawamura was already helping himself to his fourth slice of chocolate cake when he noticed that Fuji was staring at his direction.
“Is there something wrong Fuji?” He asked.
“It's nothing Taka-san,” Fuji answered, smiling like he always did. For a second there, he thought he saw a ghost walk past the wall behind Kawamura. He brought his attention back to the person sitting in front him and leaned forward a little to reach the straw of his iced coffee. “You know what I just realized Taka-san? We never had a chance to eat dinner like this.”
“Didn't we eat dinner at a café last year? Yamada-san's family owns a café and he treated us there on his birthday didn't he?” Kawamura said, obviously puzzled by what Fuji just told him.
“Yes he did,” Fuji answered, amused at the other boy's clueless-ness. “What I meant was that we never had a chance to eat dinner with just the two of us.”
“Ah,” Kawamura blushed at his own stupidity. “You see I-”
But before Kawamura could say another word, he heard a sharp, deafening howl that made him cover his ears. He looked at Fuji, who apparently heard the same thing and was also covering his ears. But when he looked at the other people inside the café, he was surprised to see that no one else seemed to have heard the howling. Either that or everyone else has an insanely high noise tolerance. He looked back at Fuji and asked, “What's happening? What's making that awful noise?”
“I don't know either Taka-san,” Fuji answered. He couldn't even hear himself talking because of the shrieking noises. “But whatever it is, I suggest that we stay away from it as much as possible.”
Fuji and Kawamura left enough money at the table and ran as fast as they could away from the source of the horrid noise. But even though they had already ran past several blocks, the howling sounds haven't decreased a bit. It was then that Fuji realized something so terrible that it made him shiver just thinking about it. Whatever it was that was causing the shrieking noises was following them.
-----
Notes: In case anyone's wondering, Yamada-san is just a common friend of Fuji and Kawamura that I made up, and has no significance to the story. Also, a couple of people asked me about what pairings I'm going to include. Aside from TakaFuji, (or should I say FujiTaka) there will also be MomoRyo, GP, and InuKai. A friend of mine is begging for TezuByakuya, but I'll have to think about it first. I can't write romance even if my life depended on it, so don't expect too much aside from occasional hints and some innuendos.