Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ Zanpakuto 1 ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
If given a choice, Senbonzakura wouldn't spend any time with his fellow zanpakuto. In general he found them to be a gossipy, shallow bunch with little to say that interested him and not enough power to make up for their banality. There were few he respected and even fewer who he wanted to talk to. He did make it a point to introduce himself to the zanpakuto of any of his partner's acquaintances, but that didn't mean he liked talking to them. (He remembered meeting Hyouinmaru. One of the oldest and most powerful zanpakuto and nearly unstoppable in battle- with the mind of a nosy mother-in-law. Sometimes he wondered if the weight of all those years had driven the ice dragon insane.)

Though to be fair, most of them didn't want to talk to him either. Younger zanpakuto hear about Senbonzakura's power and grace through their wielders; only to have their expectations shattered when they meet him. ("But your so sho-" had been Tobiume's reaction before Haineko had muffled the younger zanpakuto.) Most of his fellow plant-based zanpakuto preferred to pretend that he didn't exist.

Normally he didn't have a problem with that. He didn't concern himself with the opinions of the weak and foolish; among those who did matter his reputation was established firmly. Rather than waste time trying to converse, he preferred to spend it in contemplation or working with his partner.

But when he learned that Sode no Shirayuki was coming to visit him, he felt the first faintest tinges of unease.




Sode no Shirayuki was not the oldest nor the most powerful of the ice-based zanpakuto, but she was the most beautiful and possibly the most well-loved. Because of that, she had a sheltered life. She had never been allowed to leave the snow fields and had rarely met visitors from other places (dimensions? planes of existences?). Perhaps that explained her penchant for choosing partners from Rukongai. She lived life vicariously through their memories and experiences.

But when her partner became the sister of the Kuchiki head (and she wasn't talking about the adoption, which was only a piece of paper that meant nothing to a zanpakuto), she took it upon herself to visit Senbonzakura. It was only respectful that she pay a visit to the older and more powerful spirit. She did the same thing to Sogyo no Kotowari and Nejibana when her partner joined the Thirteenth Division.

(Okay, and maybe she was a little curious as to why Hyouinmaru had almost died laughing when she had recounted all the stories she had heard about Senbonzakura to him. She doesn't know why he was so amused, but she is grateful that he had asked Haineko to guide her. And what did he mean when he said, "I hope the old stick in the mud doesn't bore you too much!")

In any case, this is the first time she had truly left the domain of the ice-zanpakuto. Haineko had thoughtfully brought her forest where most of the plant-based zanpakuto resided then pointed out the small valley where Senbonzakura dwelt. "I'll just wait over on that peak over there." said Haineko. "Plant and fire zanpakuto don't get along very well and Senbonzakura still bears a grudge from one of the pranks Hyouinmaru and I played on him."

Sode no Shirayuki nodded. "I see," she said, making a note to ask Hyouinmaru for more stories when she got back. Listening to his and Haineko's exploits was almost as good as doing those things herself. Almost.

When she entered the valley, the first thing she saw was the enormous cherry tree. It towered over her, completely shading the grass below. It was in full bloom, with petals just a shade darker than normal. She felt the awareness of the tree and realized that this must be Senbonzakura.

She dropped into a deep bow then approached slowly. Placing her hand on the tree trunk, she tried to convey her feelings of awe and wonder. "Greetings, I am Sode no Shirayuki. Our partners have recently become siblings and I have come to pay my respects to you. I hope we can get along well together and I assure you that I will work to the best of my ability to support both of our partners." She hadn't expected an answer (Senbonzakura did have a reputation for being standoffish, quite a contrast to Hyouinmaru), so she was quite surprised to hear a voice respond to her.

"You don't have to be so formal; it's not like the tree is going to answer you." Frantically she looked left, right, then up, trying to find the speaker. Had she been so rude as to not address her statement to the real Senbonzakura?

"Lower."

She looked down to see a fat, red-eyed wild pig digging in the dirt.




His eyes weren't good for seeing much, but he could clearly pick out the her all white, slender form against the dark trunk of the tree. More importantly, he could hear the musical tones of her voice, feel bristles on his back prick with the cold she carried with her. She even smelt like snowfall, pure and crisp. It just made him even more grumpy, reminding him of what he was.

"Y-you're not," she swallowed. "This cherry tree isn't Senbonzakura?"

"That tree is as much a part of me as your sash is a part of you."

She knelt gracefully on the grass and said, "I'm very, very sorry for mistaking you."

"It's fine, plenty of others make the same mistake." And really it was fine. At least she hadn't mocked him for not living up to his reputation. It was tiring to have to keep teaching these youngsters the same old lessons.

"But still-"

"Do you mind moving?" he interrupted her. "There's a truffle under where your sitting and it should be just big enough for a meal. You can have half."

"Excuse me?" she stood up and leaned against his tree.

"It's just as you said. We will be working together from now on. So I'm trying to be a good host and provide you with a meal."

Sode no Shirayuki just stared.




"Is something wrong, Rukia? You just stopped in the middle of the incantation." Byakuya stopped his swing and raised his sword away from his sister's neck.

"I don't know." She frowned at the white blade. "Sode no Shirayuki just started laughing her head off for no reason."

In the back of his mind, Byakuya felt a familiar flush of embarrasment. "Damn it, haven't you learned how to make a good first impression yet?" he muttered.