Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Got Your Back ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Got Your Back
By: eternalsailorsolarwind AKA youkai_girl
 
Disclaimer: Bleach and all of its characters are owned by Tite Kubo, his Japanese publishers, and Viz. I only play with them for grins and giggles.
 
A/N: Chad's thoughts as Ichigo continues to grow stronger. Written from Chad's POV. Written for a prompt from crunchy_salad on LiveJournal.
 
0o0o0o0o0o
 
He doesn't need me anymore. Not like he used to, anyway. Back before Rukia arrived, it was the two of us against the world - or so it seemed at the time. After she came and gave Ichigo her powers, nothing was the same.
 
Ichigo showed me what my strength was for: to protect. He also gave me the means to protect; the amazing powers that his spiritual pressure awakened in me. For a long time, I thought it was to protect him, even if he was perfectly capable of fighting without me.
 
For him, I traveled to the Soul Society to help Ichigo save Rukia. Growing even stronger over that journey, I kept my place as the one who watched his back. Ishida didn't want the honor; Orihime wanted something else entirely.
 
Now my old friend has grown powerful enough - in both pure strength and friends - he doesn't need me to be the one backing his play any longer. Too many others are ready and able to do that - if he needs it. He rarely does anymore; able to save the world - worlds - almost single-handedly.
 
“Chad, you comin'?” A daredevil grin creased his handsome face as he looks over his shoulder at me. It widens when I nod silently at him. “Then let's hit the road. Those asshole Espada are waiting.”
 
He may not need it any longer, but I'm the one he wants at his back when its time to fight.