Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Providence ❯ Invasion ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Invasion
 
The two shinigami were running through Rukongai toward the Menos' rietsu. As they got closer, Ryu noticed that there were already shinigami fighting. “Whose rietsu is that?” he asked Rukia. “I think that it belongs to the 5th division. They are fighting some of the Menos in the 78th district.” They picked up the pace now; both suddenly had a real stake in this fight.
 
When they finally got to the district, they found bodies of shinigami and residents alike cluttering the ground. “How did this happen?” Rukia exclaimed, “What are we up against? There must be 15 bodies here!” Ryu did not reply. He was concentrating too hard on the faint rietsu that was still fighting. As soon as he located it, he disappeared; he wasn't going to let the ones responsible for this go free.
 
The rietsu was alone, Who's still fighting? he thought. The fight had gone outside of Rukongai and into the woods, Probably led there by the shinigami to minimize civilian casualties he concluded. Rukia was catching up to him now. He didn't slow down for her, he wasn't sure if this was more because he wanted to help the shinigami or because he didn't want to put Rukia into danger. There was an explosion near where he had pinpointed the fight and he suddenly could no longer feel the rietsu. “Damn it!” he raced even faster now to reach the fight.
 
Only a little further now. He desperately tried to sense rietsu, but could only feel the hollow in front and Rukia behind him. He was close now, just a few more seconds and he could see the fight. He reached for his Zanpaktou and gripped it tightly. Ready to unsheathe it, he came into a clearing and saw a large man standing over a shinigami with his Zanpaktou to her neck. “Let her go!” Ryu yelled at the man. “Ha, don't even think that you can order me around Shinigami.” The man said. He was strange looking and wore a white hakama that revealed the hole in his chest when he turned to face Ryu. “So you're one of those Arrancar then.” The arrancar had long red hair on one side and short black hair on the other side. His masked looked like awkward glasses just above his nose.
 
“I said let her go.” Ryu said sternly, he looked at the shinigami closely for the first time now and noticed the Vice-Captain's armband. Shit, he though. Before he could say anything Rukia appeared to his right and screamed, “Hinamori!” She drew her blade, but Ryu grabbed her arm. “I'll take care of this,” he said without looking away from the arrancar.
 
“I am your opponent now, leave the girl alone.” Ryu commanded the arrancar. “Well, if you are my opponent, I have no need to keep this useless shinigami alive.” Before Ryu could move, the arrancar took the blade that was pointed at Hinamori's neck and used it to slit her throat.
 
“HINAMORI!” Rukia let out a scream and tears started to flow uncontrollably.
 
The tears filled her eyes so she could only picture the image of Hinamori's throat being cut and the blood that had gone into the air. When she was able to wipe her eyes, she saw that the arrancar had been knocked back 50 yards, knocking down several trees. “Get up!” Ryu commanded. His rietsu was flowing out his body like flames that were struggling to engulf him.
 
The arrancar got on his feet. “Don't think you can just knock me back without any consequences. I am the 13th arrancar, Edrad Liones.” Edrad took a wide stance and says, “Erupt, Volcánica”. Suddenly he is transformed into a much larger being that looks more like a hollow than a man. “This is my Resurrección. I am the most powerful arrancar not given the title of espada, you have no chance now.” He pulled back his huge right arm and shot a fireball at Ryu. Ryu was ready for this; he spun 360 degrees and cut down on the fireball, disintegrating it. “This is you one chance arrancar,” said Ryu angrily, “Give up now and stand trial or be cut down immediately.” Edrad laughed at this, “Please, you think you can beat me just because you stopped on blast?”
 
Edrad put both of his arms straight in front of his chest. With a mighty yell, he let out two streams of fire from his fists at Ryu. This time, Ryu braced himself before he was completely engulfed by the flames. Edrad kept the fire going on Ryu as to make sure that he had defeated his opponent. Rukia screamed Ryu's name and started toward Edrad when there was a sudden explosion pushing away the fire surrounding Ryu. “Rain Fire From Heaven, Kagutsuchi.” Ryu's blade had changed into its shikai form. There was no longer a guard, but rather the handle led into the face of a dragon with the blade coming out of its mouth. The blade had a very slight curve. Ryu was holding it with just his right hand; his left was at his chest with the palm facing toward his opponent. The blade itself was glowing very dim orange as though it had been forged only recently. “Ha, your blade is so hot that it's glowing. A little more heat and it'll melt!”
 
“Not quiet, Arrancar.” Ryu said confidently, “The blade isn't orange because of your attack, but rather because I am pumping my rietsu into it.” As he said that, the blade grew brighter until it was steadily beating from orange to red. “The hotter I make my blade, the more powerful the strikes are. At this heat, you'll be sliced with ease, Arrancar.” The Arrancar was unaffected by Ryu's comment, “I told you my name Shinigami, now tell me yours. I want to know the name of my victim before I kill him.” Ryu smiled, “The name is Osamu Ryu, formerly of the 1st division.” There was a visible change in the Arrancar's poise after hearing this.
 
“You cannot be Osamu Ryu, he was killed over 50 years ago in Las Noches. Some of the former espada went to kill a shiniagmi that was said to be killing of large numbers of hollows. They said he was called the Dragon Lord.” Ryu spoke up, “That is enough talk about the past, Arrancar.” He looked back at Rukia, who was staring at him, teary eyed, with a look of confusion. His attention was back at the Arrancar now, “Edrad Liones, I have told you my name. It is time to end this fight now.” Ryu readied his Zanpaktou and charged Edrad, who had raised his left arm as though to ready a punch. Before the punch could be delivered, Ryu was standing behind Edrad. He sheathed his sword as it went back to its sealed form.
 
The cut had gone straight through Edrad's torso, cutting him in two. As Ryu turned around, Edrad's body began to disappear. He no longer paid any attention to his fallen opponent, only to his ally. He picked up Hinamori and rushed to the 4th division's infirmary. A futile act made of desperation.