Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Providence ❯ Taking a Walk ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Taking a Walk
 
As they leave the 1st division's area, Yoruichi looks at Ryu and Rukia, “I've got to go talk to Mayuri for Kisuke. Are you two going to be able to handle it if I leave for a bit?” Ryu and Rukia just look at her blankly, “Ok, great. I'll see you guys later then.” And with that, she was gone.
 
As they continue walking, Rukia notices that they are already acting like Captain and Vice-Captain with her following a half pace behind him on the right side. She decides that she doesn't like this and speeds up her step so she is standing next to Ryu again. He smiles, but continues to walk forward without mentioning it. “Where are we going?” asks Rukia, “I'm hungry and Kyoraku said that the 4th division has the best cook.” He turns to Rukia, “How about we drop in on Retsu-chan?” They continued walking until they were interrupted by a voice behind them.
 
“You got stuck on guard duty did you?” it is Ayasegawa Yumichika “Would you like some more civilized company Rukia-chan?” At this Ryu stopped and turned, before he says anything, Rukia explains, “This is Ayasegawa Yumichika, a friend.” Ryu, upset by the comment says, “Excuse me? Ayasegawa Yumichika was it? That's a rather masculine name for a girl. What do you mean by uncivilized?” Rukia jumps in, “Umm…well you see, he doesn't know about the meeting yet so he thinks you are still a prisoner.” Answers Rukia.
 
“He?” Ryu looks back at Ayasegawa, “Umm…right, anyway. Now that I know you're a guy, I don't need to be so polite, what the hell did you mean, uncivilized?” Ayasegawa replies, “You are not very beautiful when you yell, you should probably keep your mouth shut and continue to the 2nd division's jail now.” Ayasegawa then tries to push Ryu forward when Ryu knocks him to the ground, “Don't you put your hands on me, I am not a prisoner, in fact, I'm going to be a superior officer after my Captain's exam the day after tomorrow. So if you know what's good for you, you better get back to your division and stay away from me.” Before Ayasegawa has a chance to reply Ryu turns around and unsheathes his Zanpaktou just in time to block a strike from Ikkaku.
 
“Who the hell is this Rukia?” Ryu yells, pushing Ikkaku away with his Zanpaktou. This was the first time Rukia was able to see it unsheathed, it was magnificent, she could feel a raging, yet somehow controlled Rietsu coming from the blade. Carved into the blade was also a single flame coming out of the hilt up the Zanpaktou for a few inches. Before she could comprehend the question, Ikkaku started a flurry of attacks, all of which were either blocked or dodged. “Ikkaku, stop it!” she yells, but too late, Ryu had disappeared.
 
Above them they heard, “Way of Destruction 63: Twin Lotus Blue Fire, Crash Down” two shots of blue fire come out of Ryu's left hand streaking towards Ikkaku. There was an explosion, and Ikkaku was nowhere to be found, he was not able to get out of the way in time. As the smoke settled, Ikkaku could be seen sitting down, seemingly having been knocked back by the blast; there were two craters in front of him. “Next time it won't be a warning shot.” Ryu comes down next to Rukia, facing the two shinigami. Yoruichi appears in front of his, “I leave you for 10 minutes and you are already fighting? What is wrong with you, you got off easy the first time because Yamamoto likes you, but if you kill these idiots, his hand will be tied!”
 
“Relax Yoruichi-chan, I was just messing with them, besides, they started it.” As Ikkaku and Ayasegawa walk towards the three, Yoruichi turns and starts yelling at them, “And you two, what the hell are you doing trying to fight Ryu? You are lucky he didn't kill you both! You two might be 11th division jocks, but that doesn't mean you pick fights with anyone in Seireitei!”
 
“Calm down Yoruichi, you are scaring them.” Ryu says looking at the two men who were being scolded, “Anyway, I can take care of myself. I didn't realize that they were 11th division guys, that explains the random attacks…guess things don't change even though the people do.” He looks at the two men, “No hard feeling eh? The name's Osamu Ryu, future Captain of the 5th division.” He gives a slight bow and turns from them without any more conversation. “How about that dinner then?” he asks Rukia, and they continue walking towards the 4th division.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
“Thanks for dinner Retsu.” Says Ryu standing up from the table where he just finished having Captain Unohana, her Vice-Captain, and Rukia. “We hope to see you again soon Ryu.” Replies Unohana, showing him out.
 
As Ryu and Rukia walk aimlessly through Seireitei talking about this and that, it occurs to Rukia that she really is going to be a Vice-Captain, “I don't think I should be your Vice-Captain Osamu-sama.” She bows both out of respect and because she didn't want to look into his eyes, his strong brown eyes that seemed to have a piercing affect on her, it was as though he knew what she was thinking before she even did. She felt silly telling him she didn't want to work with him, because she did, she just didn't think she was ready.
 
“You are going to do fine Rukia,” Ryu says empathetically, “You have to trust yourself and your friends. This will be a challenge for both of us, but together we can really help out Seireitei.” After he finished speaking, Ryu started walking again, but this time a little slower. He was thinking about what it would be like as a Captain. Would he have to win over the shinigami in his division? Probably, they won't be happy that he kicked their Vice-Captain out. He'd have to show them that he is strong, that he is someone that the 5th division can count on. How was he going to do that though?
 
At that moment, he heard a loud noise, “Attention, Menos in Rukongai. Attention, Menos in Rukongai. All Shinigami please report to designated areas.” Ryu looks at Rukia, “Why don't we go check it out?”
 
-SlyTrojan