Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Providence ❯ Meeting Concluded ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Meeting Concluded
 
The responses to that statement were as varied as the people who gave them. One could hear Rukia, who had been listening just outside the door, yells “What?” Byakuya simply said no immediately. Ichigo exclaims, “Are you serious?” While Kyoraku and Ukitake simply smile.
 
“I will not allow Kuchiki Rukia to become a vice-captain,” says Byakuya simply. “She is a member of my house and I am responsible for her.” Rukia opens the door at this and replies, “You can't hold me back forever Nii-chan, I want to be a vice-captain.” Yamamoto slams his staff on the ground to get everyone's attention, “There are a few things that you all seem to be forgetting. Osamu Ryu has not yet passed the exam, and all appointments go through me, Kuchiki,” he says looking at Byakuya, “not you. You are all dismissed before things get any more out of hand. I will be contacting two of you to aid me with the examination.”
 
“I would like to make a request, Captain Commander.” Says Captain Komamura. “Hell must have just frozen over, the big guy's speaking up,” Jokes Kyoraku to Captain Hitugaya who was standing next to him. “Yes, what is it Captain Komamura” asks Yamamoto, completely ignoring Kyoraku's comment. “I do not believe that there is a single captain here that would not want to see the examination of Osamu Ryu. I request that you allow the captains to come to examination if they so will.” Yamamoto exhales, “I suppose that sentiment is true Komamura. Very well, the all captains are welcome to watch the examination if the so desire. However, only two captains besides myself will be officially examining him.”
 
There seemed to be an air of agreement amongst the captains, as they broke from their rank. It seemed as though everyone had thoughts on the meeting that had just ended. Most notably, Captain Kurotsuchi was complaining to himself about how long the meeting was and said something about everyone getting all worked up about minor details.
 
Captain Unohana rushed over to Ryu and gave him a hug, while Ukitake and Kyoraku give him pats on the back. “You'll do just fine,” Ukitake assure him, “but I would have liked a heads up on recruiting one of my finest shinigami.” As he says this, he looks past Ryu shoulder to Rukia and signals her over. “I think you two should probably talk.” As Rukia reaches them, the three captains leave Ryu and exit the room.
 
Before either Rukia or Ryu could say anything, they were stopped by a commotion in the front of the room. “No way, I want to fight him for the exam.” Says Ichigo to both Byakuya and Yamamoto. Apparently the two captains were trying to convince Yamamoto to allow them to fight Ryu at the exam. “I have beaten you before,” Ichigo says, now taunting his fellow captain. “Remember your place Kurosaki, you have never even seen a Captain Proficiency Exam before. I will be the one who fights Osamu at the exam.”
 
It is true that Ichigo never went through the exam because he became Captain of the 5th division through the Personal Recommendations of captains, Hitsugaya, Kyoraku, Ukitake, Unohana, Zaraki, and Soifon, with approval from, Yamamoto, Kuchiki, and Komamura.
 
“Don't worry guys, I'll fight both of you at the exam.” Ryu tells them smiling. Yamamoto opens his eyes and looks disapprovingly at Ryu, “So be it, if the applicant wants to fight both Captains Kuchiki and Kurosaki, it will be so.” The two seemed content enough at this and headed towards the door. Byakuya leaves, but Ichigo stays and asks Rukia, “You sure you're ok with this Rukia?” She frowns at him, “I don't need you watching over me all the time Ichigo, I'll make the decision for myself thank you!”
 
With this she turns towards Ryu as to dismiss Ichigo. He smiles, “Alright, but don't think I'm just going let this go.” He turns to the door and sees Orihime, who had been waiting outside. He smiles and walks towards her, hugging her as they start to walk to the 3rd divisions quarters holding hands. “And I thought he had feelings for you…” Ryu says out loud, but mostly to himself. Rukia heard, “No, he chose Orihime, but I think that that was the right choice, they are very cute together.” She did not seem to hold any bitter feelings toward either of them.
 
“We have other things to talk about though.” With that, the two of them started to walk out of the room. As they did, a hard slap came upon Ryu's face. “What the Hell Yoruichi!” She was waiting for him on the other side of the wall. “Why would you not once stop by Kisuke's? You knew I'd been there for over a century. You wouldn't believe how irritating it is living with him and those two bickering kids for a hundred years!” she looked at Rukia, whose face was filled with shock at the sight of Yoruichi acting this way. She slaps him again, “and that's for not giving Rukia a heads up!” Ryu retracts, “Ok, ok, I get the point. Sorry I didn't visit,” he looks at Rukia, “and sorry I didn't tell you, but your reaction was priceless.” This time Rukia slapped Ryu, “We are going to have to work on our communication.”
 
Ryu had no idea how to react to this. He starts angry and just gives up. His head drops down, What did I get myself into…Without saying a word he just starts walking out of the 1st division quarters. The two girls laugh and follow behind him. The next couple days were certainly going to be interesting.