Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Providence ❯ Captains Meeting ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Captains Meeting
 
He was finally there; he was finally in the captain's meeting. Ryu Had always longed to be a part of these meetings, but now he was there, not as captain, but as prisoner. As Captain Ukitake takes his place in line, Ryu is standing between the two columns of five captains each, and at the head, Captain Commander Yamamoto, eyes closed, but completely aware of the room.
 
“Do you know why I have called you back Osamu?” asks Yamamoto coldly, these worlds striking Ryu much harder than he would have imagined. Ryu looks straight at the captain commander trying to hide his feelings, “You need my help, Yamamoto-sensei. And I am here to offer it.”
 
“And so we do, with Aizen's betrayal, we have been left short of strength in Seireitei,” Yamamoto replies, “Aizen is gathering an army of hollows and so we must do what we can to counter his actions.” He opens his eyes slightly, and looking at Ryu he says, “I believe you are a small part of that counter.” Yamamoto closes his eyes once again and continues, “But that is not why I have brought you here to this room,” Ryu is now doing everything to hide his anticipation. This is it; this is where Yama-jii finally lets me become a Captain.
 
“You are here to stand trail…” Ryu could not hold back his shock, “WHAT!?, you brought me here to put me on trail after 160 years? Are you mad? What makes you think I'll stay here and let you do this?” Ryu turns around and takes a step towards the door, he is stopped in his tracked by a sharp thud, Yamamoto had struck the ground with his cane. “You will stay in this room until I say you are dismissed!” Yamamoto was visibly upset now, “You are no longer a child Ryu, you will explain your actions and take the responsibility for them. You cannot just run away and abandon your home again.” Yamamoto's changed from harsh to demonstrative, “You must stay here and answer for your crimes, only by doing so can you once again be of service to Seireitei.”
 
Ryu turns around and opens his mouth, nothing comes out. He has no idea what to say, hearing his mentor speak to him the way he had back before Ryu left Seireitei took all of the anger and frustration out of him. He was left only with guild; the guilt of leaving, the guilt of hiding, and the guilt of never saying good-bye.
 
Finally Captain Kyorako speaks up, “Tell us what happened that day Ryu-kun.” Ryu couldn't find the words to speak; finally he regained his composure, “I can't tell you anything you don't know already. The fact is, I killed a shinigami, and I am willing to accept the consequences for that action.”
 
“Don't be a fool Ryu-kun,” Spoke Captain Unohana softly, but sternly, “Those of us who know you, know that you did not just kill him in cold blood, there must be more to the story. Please, why won't you tell us?”
 
“There is nothing more for me to tell, a member of Seireitei is dead by my Zanpaktou, that is all that matters.” Says Ryu defiantly. “Then you leave us no choice, the penalty for murdering a vice-captain is death.” Yamamoto's voice was back to normal now, “Your sentence will be carried out at dawn.”
 
“Wait just one minute!” a voice yells as the doors to the room open, “Ryu, you are an idiot, tell them this minute what really happened.” It was Yoruichi who had come into the meeting room. “I have kept your secret from everyone for all these years but this is enough, either you tell them, or I will.”
 
“What is the meaning of this Shihoin Yoruichi?” asks Yamamoto, “Do you have information about the day Osamu Ryu left Seireitei?” To this Yoruichi replies, “It would be better if you heard it from him.” She looks at Ryu, “No one needs your protection anymore.”
 
Ryu looks up at Yoruichi and then at Captain Unohana, Ukitake, and Kyoraku. He then looks straight into Yamamoto's eyes, which were fixed right back at his. He exhales and begins his story.
 
“As some of you know, I was hired by Shihoin family to train Yoruichi. At this point, she was not supposed to become the head of the family, so I was allowed more freedom with her and in the manor than I would otherwise. One day, during her training, I caught glimpse of the 10th squad vice-captain leaving the Shihoin family manor. When I questioned him about it, he would not answer me, and did, in fact, taunt me about being a 3rd seat. Upon some investigation, I came upon evidence of a plot against the Gotei 13 by the Shihoin family. This evidence connected several members of the 10th division, including the vice-captain, to the plot. Because of my close ties to the family, I decided to give both the Shihoin family and the vice-captain a chance to explain themselves before I reported my findings. It was during this time that I was attacked by the vice-captain, as well as several of the Shihoin family guards. After defeating them, it became clear to me that the plot could not be fulfilled without the support of the vice-captain, and rather than disgrace the Shihoin family that had treated me so well during those years, I struck a deal with them. I would not reveal their plot if the ones responsible would leave Seireitei and Yoruichi was made head of the family. I entrusted this information with Yoruichi and made her swear never to tell a soul because it would incriminate her family and they would lose their status. After this, I fled to the real world, where I have been since.”
 
At this point, everyone in the room was shifting their weight and trying to gauge each other's responses. Captain Kuchiki was the first to speak up, “Can this information be verified?” he asks, looking at Yoruichi. “Of course, the information is hidden within the manor itself.” She replies. “Then upon receiving verification of this story, I believe there is nothing more to discuss here, you are all dismissed.” States Yamamoto.
 
As everyone begins to head to the door, Ryu speaks up, “Just one minute Yama-jii. If I am going to be cleared, then I request permission to take the Captain Proficiency Test.” Everyone in the room looks at him dumbfounded, “You need to be recommended by a current captain to be considered for the test.” Explains Captain Soifon. “I recommend him!” say Captains Unohana, Ukitake, and Kyoraku in unison. “So be it, your test will be scheduled for the day after tomorrow. Now, unless you have anything else?” Yamamoto asks Ryu.
 
“Actually, there is one more thing. Before I take the test, I want two guarantees if I pass. First, I want to be the 5th division's captain, they need direction more than any other division, and have been doing little more than twiddling their thumbs for the last 2 years, from what I hear,” Ryu looks at Kyoraku with a bit of a smile, as if to thank him for that idea. “And secondly, I would like to replace the current vice-captain. From what I understand, she is still effected by Aizen's betrayal, and is not fit to help lead a division.”
 
“You cannot talk about Hinamori that way!” exclaims Captain Hitsugaya; “You have no idea how hard she has been trying to lead the 5th division since that bastard left.” Ryu calmly looks over at the Captain and answers without missing a beat, as though he knew the objection was coming, “Then why don't you take her as your 3rd seat? I heard that the 10th squad's 3rd was just killed on a mission a few months ago and has not yet been replaced.”
 
“Enough, who would you propose as the replacement for vice-captain Hinamori?” asks Yamamoto. And in a completely serious voice, Ryu replies, “Kuchiki Rukia.”