Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Providence ❯ Home ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Home
 
Ryu stands outside Urahara's shop contemplating how the life he has led for the last 160 years has been rocked by events of the day. He would never have thought that the shinigami would contact him again, let alone try to recruit him. As Ichigo and Rukia rejoin the group, Ryu takes a deep breath and walks into the front door. Here goes nothing, he thinks to himself.
 
As he opens the door, Ryu is met immediately by the face of Urahara Kisuke, “Well here's a face I haven't seen in years,” exclaims Urahara. “To think that you were in Karakura Town all these years and never decided to stop by!”
 
“It's good to see you too Kisuke-san.” Replies Ryu very unenthusiastically, “Yoruichi isn't here is she?” asks Ryu looking around. “Nope, you'll be glad to know that I sent her out just before you left, I don't especially want my store destroyed, she is not going to be happy when she sees you, you know.” Says Urahara still smiling, looking around he continues, “Alright, why don't we get everyone situated until it's time to go through the gate.”
 
The shinigami sit around a table in the back room of Urahara's shop, “Tsukabishi! Can we get round of tea please?” calls Urahara from his seat. “Now then, tell me Ryu, what have you been up to for 160 years?” The whole table turns to Ryu, the question was obviously on everyone's mind. “I have mostly been living alone, spending most of my time trying to blend in,” he pauses briefly and smirks, “and, well, I have been training.”
 
“Training eh?” starts Urahara, “Is all that exercise what has kept you looking the same age you were when you left Seireitei?” At this, Ryu smiles, “No, I found that since I wasn't using my Reiatsu for anything while here, I could use it to control my cells and make it so they don't deteriorate.” “Ho! If only I knew that was possible,” Shunsui interrupts, “I bet you wouldn't have been able to resist me 70 years ago!” he says to Nanao.
 
“On that note,” begins Nanao, trying to blow off her Captain, “Shouldn't we get going?” The table seems to agree and begin to stand when, “Wait, wait, wait, if you are going to be in such a hurry to leave, then there's still one more thing that I need explained to me,” says Urahara, he faces Ryu and says somberly “Why did you abandon us Ryu? We all knew that there was more to the story than what we were told.”
 
Ryu could not look at his friends face, instead he turned around and says, “Let's go home everyone, Captain Commander doesn't like to be left waiting.” And with that he walks out of the room, followed by most of the rest of the shinigami.
 
“I don't think I've ever seen you this way Urahara,” says Rukia standing alone in front of him, “I don't like it. So don't let this guy bum you out.” Urahara smiles, “I guess the past is the past.” He looks Rukia in the eyes and attempts a smile, “Why don't you go now, the gate's ready.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
He was finally back. After 160 years, Osamu Ryu was back in Seireitei; it was the place he called home, but called him traitor in return.
 
As the group exits the gate, they see two columns of Soifon's Covert Ops lining the way for a few yards. At the head of the Covert Ops was Kuchiki Byakuya; “We are to transport the prisoner to the 1st divisions quarters immediately.” Ryu smiles, “that's Byakuya? Ha! Last time I saw him, he couldn't have been any taller than you.” He says, looking at Rukia. Byakuya shoots him a fierce look, and begins leading the group.
 
Rukia couldn't think of an adequate response, she was put aback by Ryu. He was no longer wearing his school uniform, but had become a shinigami. His shihakusho was normal except for a shoulder guard on his right shoulder and a black cape that was lined with red fabric on the edges and lined on the inside.
 
Soifon was holding his Zanpaktou for extra precaution. The sheath and handle were of red woven cloth with light red metal cap and hold. It had a double rectangular guard made of silver metal with red accent in between the two rectangles. Rukia had heard that he was powerful, but until now he was just some high school kid in his uniform; she had not fully understood his significance until seeing him like this. It was a little bit frightening for her.
 
As the group moved toward the 1st division quarters, it became abundantly clear that Ryu's homecoming was not a secret. Groups of shinigami from all the divisions tried to catch glimpses of the traitor. “Looks like things have gotten boring around here since I left,” Ryu says to Rukia, “I feel like one of those movie celebrities…” someone yells out, “You're going to get it you filthy traitor!” “But less liked” he says with a smile.
 
They finally reached the 1st division quarters, “You four keep watch over him, we are going inside first. We'll call him in when it's time.” Byakuya says to the vice-captains and Rukia. The four captains walk into the room to conduct a captains meeting before Ryu is questioned.
 
“You getting nervous?” asks Renji, trying to prod a reaction out of Ryu, “You do realize that the last vice-captain that gave me a hard time died don't you?” Ryu responds unable to hold back a quick chuckle. “Don't try anything Osamu-san,” Says Kira, his hand on his Zanpaktou. “Lighten up there Kira-san, I'm just giving him a hard time. No need to get all jumpy,”
 
Just then Captain Ukitake walks out, “Starting trouble again Ryu?” he says looking at Kira. “You know me Jushiro, how've you been?” asks Ryu, “Alright, but now is not the time, Yamamoto-sensei is ready to see you.” As they start walking towards the door Ryu turns around and says to Rukia, “Don't leave, this is going to be interesting.” He smiles at her and enters the captains meeting.