Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Snack Time ❯ Yachiru ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
This was the original idea I had for Snack Time. I decided that it was time I had a bit of fun with Yachiru.
 
Yachiru
 
Yachiru walked along the balcony, happily humming to herself. `It's been a good day. Ken-chan is happy because he has fought 69 guy (what did that tattoo mean anyway? No one would ever explain it to her) and won, of course. He'd also got Pretty Boy to do the paperwork.' This made Yachiru really happy as it meant she didn't have to waste her time pretending to work. Yumichika grumbled as he normally did but that was as it should be.
 
The other thing that made her happy was she'd upset Madrame. He was so funny when he was angry. You could see his face flush all over the dome of his skull. That made her tease him even more. She'd painted his head when he was asleep, or maybe he was drunk. It was hard to tell sometimes. When he woke up he'd known immediately it was her. What was wrong with a pink head? She had pink hair, and when he flushed his dome was pink. Yachiru didn't know why he made such a fuss. The memory of his frantic and unsuccessful attempts to remove the paint made her laugh, as did the cursing that accompanied it. He'd chased her until she turned and gave him the stare. He didn't like the stare.
 
Then he'd threatened to tell Zaraki about her prank, but Yachiru didn't care. The threat made her laugh even more. Zaraki would probably just laugh and tell Madrame to forget it and then challenge him to spar.
 
Yachiru hoped he would. She liked watching Zaraki spar. He enjoyed it so much. It had been a long time since he needed to remove the eye patch when he was fighting, but Madrame was getting better. She hugged herself. It had been a good day and it was only going to get better.
 
She was going to snack. Before Matsumoto had gone to the human world, she had kindly asked Yachiru is she wanted anything. Yachiru was pleased because they had all sorts of lollies and sweets in the human world which she rarely got to try. She'd asked Matsumoto to bring back as many different types as she possibly could.
 
Today was the day, or the night, that Yachiru was going to snack on them. Matsumoto had given her an enormous bag of lollies, chocolates and assorted goodies a few days ago, but Yachiru wanted to eat them on a good day. If she ate them on a good day she would enjoy them more and the good day would become even better. Today was the best day this week and Yachiru felt that she deserved them. She had not eaten them as soon as she received them. Now she would eat them all. Maybe she would offer some to Zaraki, but she knew he didn't like sweet things very much. He would refuse and she could eat the lot without feeling greedy, or guilty. She smiled brightly as she moved toward the place she had stored her goodies. No one would think to look there.
 
She skipped along looking at the night sky. The moon was out. The stars did their usual twinkling. The clouds did their usual scudding past the moon. The wind did its usual job of making the tree's branches move against the sky. The crickets made their usual racket. It was good that everything was as usual. A good day and a normal evening and lots of snacking. Life was good.
 
Yachiru had not eaten much during the day. She thought that today would be a good day and she had been right. The less she ate the more she would enjoy the snacks. It was fun being right. It was fun being her. It was fun being the Assistant Captain of 11th Division.
 
She stopped and looked toward her goal. `Why is a light on in Ken-chan's office?' She thought. `Why can I hear voices talking in Ken-chan's office? Who is laughing? Who could be in Ken-chan's office at this time? Ken-chan doesn't spend much time there, if he can help it.' She hurried to the room.
 
She paused in the doorway, allowing her eyes to adjust to the light after the darkness outside. Yachiru was happy she had paused instead of rushing into the room because the devastation and destruction before her nearly made her cry. She did not want anyone to see her cry, ever.
 
Empty packets, bags, wrappers, tins and soft drink cans were strewn all over the office. Those packets had contained her treats, her lollies, her sweets, her reward. Every single one had been opened, every single one was empty! It was hard for her to tear her eyes away from the brutal pillage of her longed for snacks, but she must, so she would know who to punish.
 
`I am the Vice-Captain of the 11th Division and I will have my revenge. I'll get Ken-Chan to help,' she told herself.
 
She bravely tore her eyes away from the ruin of her dreams and looked at the people who had committed this crime. She gasped in surprise. `It's Ken-chan, Baldy, Pretty Boy and Blondie. They ate my snacks.'
 
This was too much. She rushed into the room.
 
`Who ate my treats? Who ate my snacks,' she yelled.
 
At her entrance, the room fell silent. The four men turned to stare at her and then looked at each other guiltily.
 
`I found them behind a huge pile of paperwork. I thought they had been there a long time as the pile was so large,' Yumichika started to say nervously.
 
`I put them there to hide them,' Yachiru yelled at Yumichika. “I wanted to eat them tonight and now they're all gone.'
 
Zaraki looked embarrassed. `I told him it would be all right. He thought they were mine as he found them in my office.'
 
`I'm disappointed,' Yachiru wailed. `I want my snacks.'
 
`I could go and get some more snacks for you,' suggested Yumichika nervously.
 
`I don't want the crummy snacks from here. I want snacks from the human world. I want Pocky. I want Black Black. I want melon flavoured biscuits. Matsumoto bought me one of each variety of Pocky and I wanted to try them all. She brought me green tea soft drink. I wanted gummie lollies and Turkish delight,' she swallowed. She was nearly crying in disappointment and frustration.
 
She turned her back to the destroyers of her daydream. Today was not a good day. Today was turning into a rotten day. Her fists clenched as she planned what she would do next. She heard whispering behind her. Why were they whispering? Zaraki was particularly bad at whispering. What were they talking about? Were they plotting to find her other secret stash?
 
Zaraki cleared his throat, `Um, Yachiru. We are all very sorry. Yumichika is especially sorry as he feels it is his fault.'
 
Yumichika looked sullen but nodded.
 
`Yumichika, Madrame and I will go to the human world and replace your snacks. Okay?' Zaraki asked.
 
`No, it is not okay. As there are 3 of you going I want more. You owe me. You ate my snacks and made me unhappy. So I want lots more,' Yachiru said thoughtfully. `Why isn't Blondie going? Why can't I come?'
 
`As you were the owner of the snacks it seems only right that we replace them. We thought you might like some company while you wait and Izuru was unlucky, I mean he drew the short straw, I mean he suggested he stay,' Madrame gabbled.
 
Izuru flushed.
 
Madrame scowled at Yachiru as if remembering the earlier incident with the paint. It appeared he had finally managed to remove the pink. Izuru did not look too happy either. The men got to their feet, but stood there, uncertain.
 
`Don't be long. I want to go to sleep soon, but I want to eat first,' Yachiru ordered. `Go on,' she said to the hesitating men. `I want my snacks now, not tomorrow. It was your idea.'
 
Madrame, Zaraki and Yumichika skulked hurriedly out of the room. She could heard them arguing about money once they were out of the room. Yachiru shrugged. It wasn't her problem.
 
`So will you play with me Blondie? I quite like chess, but you can't use your queen. I think using a queen is cheating,' she looked at his unresponsive face. `You do play chess, don't you?'
 
`Yes, I play, but I'm not very good. I prefer Backgammon,' Izuru replied reluctantly.
 
`I don't want to play Backgammon with you. I want to play chess,' Yachiru went over to the table and pushed all the wrappers, papers and other items onto the floor.
 
Izuru bent down and began to pick up some of the rubbish.
 
`Leave it,' Yachiru ordered. `Now let's set up the pieces. I will be black and seeing you're Blondie, you can be white,' she suggested giggling.
 
One of the things about playing chess that Yachiru liked was that people always acted as if she didn't know how to play. She kept her all abilities carefully hidden, not just her chess abilities. She preferred it when people underestimated her. It made it easier.
 
She watched Izuru's first move. She copied his move. As she watched him play she realised he had told her the truth. He wasn't very good at playing chess.
 
`Do you play chess often,' she asked.
 
`No. It never interested me that much. Oh, I didn't see that,' he said as she took his rook.
 
`You have to pay more attention,' Yachiru said. `How long have they been? I'm hungry.'
 
`They might have trouble finding something open,' Izuru said hesitantly as he moved another piece.
 
`That's their problem, and yours. You shouldn't eat things that don't belong to you,' Yachiru said as she took the bishop he just moved. `You're an assistant captain, you should know better.'
 
`I'm sorry. I didn't know. You're an assistant captain, too,' he groaned as he looked at the board and quickly moved another piece.
 
`Yes, but I don't eat other people's snacks unless they offer them to me,' she countered as she took a pawn.
 
`What about the time you swiped Ikkan-zaka's snacks?' Izuru asked without thinking shaking his head. He looked at the board as if already accepting that he wouldn't win.
 
`He'd been rude about the training wheels on my zanpaku-to,' she responded. `He deserved it. He's always so greedy, he never shares. How did you know about that?' Yachiru asked.
 
Izuru looked up guiltily after moving another pawn haphazardly. `I hear a rumour in the bathhouse,' he said quietly. `I shouldn't have mentioned it. I apologise.'
 
Yachiru suddenly grinned at Izuru as she moved her knight. `Checkmate. I told you to pay attention. You're a nice person, Blondie. I wasn't sure because you were the assistant captain to Smiley,' she noticed his blank look. `Gin Ichimaru. I called him Smiley. But you seem okay. If Ken-chan likes you, then I like you. What were you talking about with Ken-chan?'
 
`I was just trying to get some ideas about training. 11th Division is known for its' fighters and I thought if I could get some hints, it might help improve morale. 3rd company is pretty shaken since the captain, um, left,' Izuru said.
 
`Good idea. Maybe you could borrow Baldy to help you,' she stopped struck by another idea. `They should be back soon. I don't want to play another game of chess. Can you play any other games, aside from Backgammon? Can you play Go?'
 
The sound of loud voices interrupted. Yachiru got up and excitedly went to the door.
 
`I can see them. Baldy seems to be wobbling a bit. I hope they didn't start drinking. They might have forgotten my snacks if they started drinking,' she said sadly.
 
`I'm sure they wouldn't forget,' Izuru said adding very softly, `They wouldn't dare forget. Even Zaraki is scared of you, sometimes.'
 
Yachiru turned from the door. `I'm sorry I didn't hear what you said. Pretty Boy is singing. I think they have been drinking, but they are carrying bags, lots of bags.'
 
`I hope they remembered the sake,' Izuru said quietly. `I only agreed to stay because they promised sake.'
 
Fortunately for Izuru, Yachiru did not hear that comment as she had gone to greet Zaraki, loudly demanding to look in the bags.
 
`Wait a little. Let's go to the office and you can see everything,' he suggested.
 
`What's Pretty Boy got? That doesn't look like snacks for me,' Yachiru demanded.
 
`No, it's not. It's for me,' Zaraki said quickly. `He said he'd carry it because I carried the most as I'm the strongest. I just couldn't carry that as well.'
 
Yachiru looked at him suspiciously. `Ken-chan, have you been drinking?'
 
`Yes, I have. You shouldn't question your Captain like that, Yachiru, I've told you that before. Don't question me in front of anyone,' Zaraki replied.
 
`You always say that when you've been drinking. Just for that you can't have any of my snacks. I hope the bags Baldy is carrying are for me too,' Yachiru said.
 
`Some are,' Madrame said carefully trying not to slur.
 
The bags were quickly placed on the table, except for those held by Yumichika which were placed on the floor, near the door. A bag held by Madrame quickly joined them, but Yachiru was too busy examining the variety of snacks.
 
`You didn't get Black Black. I really wanted to try it. There aren't all the varieties of Pocky,' Yachiru complained. `Oooh. I haven't seen those before. They're called Choco Boys. Preserved plums, but I can get preserved plums here! Why did you buy them? Instant ramen? Why would I want to try instant ramen? Rukia let me try some and I didn't like it. Gummie pizzas. Can't wait to try those,' she looked up and noticed that no one was paying attention. `Ken-chan, you didn't get everything I wanted. You'll have to go back.'
 
`Not tonight, Yachiru. Not tonight,' Zaraki replied a drink in his hand. `Now eat your snacks like a good Assistant Captain and go to bed. Otherwise I will ask you to do the paperwork.'
 
`You wouldn't do that, Ken-chan,' mumbled Yachiru through a mouthful of black sesame Pocky. `I always get it wrong and you have to spend too long explaining.'
 
Zaraki let out a bark of laughter. `Yeah. I should have known that threat wouldn't work. I had thought it might scare you.'
 
Izuru said to Madrame,' Yachiru suggested you might assist me in training 3rd Division tomorrow. I was planning to start at 7.00 am.'
 
Madrame made a face at Yachiru who poked out her tongue.
 
`Can you make it later? I don't like to get up too early. Maybe 10.00,' he suggested.
 
`No, you'll be there at 7.00,' Zaraki told him ignoring the outraged look on Madarame's face.
 
`Okay, I'll be there,' Madrame said reluctantly.
 
`Since it was your idea, you can help too, Yachiru,' Zaraki commanded.
 
A smug smile played over Madarame's features.
 
Yachiru shrugged and continued eating. Early mornings did not bother her. It would give her another opportunity to tease Baldy and maybe Izuru as well. While she planned how what would annoy them the most, she ate everything that had been brought back from the human world, except for the preserved plums and instant ramen. These she gave to Izuru. He accepted them uncertainly.
 
`Ken-chan, you have to go back to the human world tomorrow and get me some more snacks. I'll write a list. You owe me,' she said rapidly, knowing he was about to protest, `Otherwise I will do the paperwork.'
 
Zaraki laughed. `Maybe, Assistant Captain Yachiru. Now, go to bed.'
 
Yachiru skipped off to bed. Today had not been as good as she hoped, but maybe tomorrow would be better. Plenty of teasing to be done; and maybe more snacking.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------Author's Note
 
Please review.
 
MS