Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ The Many Faces of Revenge ❯ Unexpected Detour ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SPOILER WARNING****
****If you haven’t finished watching or reading the Bount Arc, please don’t read any further!****


When the four arrived at the Urahara candy shop, it was dark and quiet. The large Shunsui carried one piece of luggage under each arm and one in each hand, at the request of Nanao who complained that she’d carried all of it, one piece at a time from headquarters to the Senkai gate. At the still sight of the shop, he dropped them on the ground and crossed his arms over his chest.
“Well, this doesn’t look promising.” Matsumoto commented, disappearing and reappearing a moment later after scouting around the small shop. “The van is gone.” She reported.
Hitsugaya sighed walked up the small steps, briskly knocking on the door. A small closed sign hung crookedly off to one side. At the knock, a small piece of paper fell from behind the sign and fluttered to the small Taichou’s feet. Picking it up and unfolding the delicate paper, his ice blue eyes scanned the messy scrawl quickly.
“They’ve gone to the beach.” He said, a small hint of annoyance in his voice. “For another three days.” He let the paper flutter down to the ground again. “It looks like we might have to find other lodgings until he gets back.”
Matsumoto immediately began to jump up and down. “I’m going to go stay at Inoue’s house!” She cried and grabbed her bags from the pile near Shunsui and was gone. Just like that.
Nanao blinked, looking at the space she had previously been occupying for a few moments. “I take it she enjoys imposing on Inoue?”
Toushiro nodded as he joined them on the front lawn once more. “Ise, you would perhaps being more comfortable staying with the Kurosaki family.” He suggested.
Shunsui glanced over, slightly surprised. “Really, you think so?”
Nodding solemly, Toushiro gathered his small bag and slung it over his shoulder. “Rukia received a very warm welcome there on many occasions and has been quite safe under their roof. Since our usual temporary lodgings are unavailable, our only other choice is to return to Soul Society. I would rather not have to make a second trip at a later date.”
“Would you like us to accompany you to his clinic?” Shunsui asked, picking up the last two pieces of luggage. “It isn’t very far from here and Ichigo should be home from school by now.” He guessed.
Nanao shook her head and rolled up her sleeves slightly. Pulling her hair into a tight bun, she used the delicate flower pins that he’d given her for safe keeping to keep it all in place. “No, the walk will do me good. Where will you be staying if something should arise?”
The taller captain looked down at Toushiro then smiled reassuringly at his fukutaichou. “Don’t worry about us. We will find our own places to stay.”
Nodding, she took her bag from him and offered a rare smile to the two Taichous. Bowing slightly, she turned and walked away. Much information about the substitute Shinigami and his friends had been added to the library, including their places of current residence. It came in quite handy for times like this.
The clinic was a bit smaller than she expected, but it looked like it was quiet most of the time. That was a great relief. She didn’t realize that she’d been staring until a little girl walked up to her, carrying grocery bags in each hand.
“Can I help you miss?” She asked sweetly, looking up at Nanao and squinting in the sun slightly.
“Oh, yes.” She said, a bit startled. “I’m looking for Kurosaki Ichigo. This is his place of residence, correct?”
She nodded and smiled brightly. “You know my big brother?” She happily waved Nanao into the house, bags rustling. “Ichigo!” She called, hefting the large bags onto the table. Politely removing her shoes, Nanao set her bag down by the door and out of the way.
She heard the heavy foot fall on the stairs and turned to see the young man’s surprised look. His eyes widened and he took a up a defensive stance.
“What are you doing here!?!” He yelled, making his younger sister jump in surprise.
“Ichigo! That isn’t nice.” She admonished.
He ignored Yuzu and pointed at her. “I asked what you were doing here!” He yelled at the slightly surprised Nanao.
“Actually, I was hoping for a place to stay.” She said, level headed and now unperturbed by his reaction to her presence.
“Why are you guys always bothering me? Why don’t you go stay with that old hat and clogs?”
“He isn’t around at the moment, otherwise I wouldn’t have asked. I am sorry to impose on you, but Rukia said that we could count on you if we were in a pinch. If it’s too much trouble, I can go.” She offered gently.
He just looked at her a few moments before he growled and relaxed. “No…it’s fine. But you can’t sleep in my closet.”
Nanao was a bit surprised at that. She was hoping that she wouldn’t have to sleep there in the first place.
“Thank you, Kurosaki.” She said gratefully, relieved he’d relaxed and allowed her to stay.
“We can put you in one of the patient rooms.” He offered, leading her up stairs, obviously uncomfortable in her presence.
He gave her a rather nice room and after thanking him politely, unpacked some of her things. He really was such a nice young man, she thought to herself. Looking out the window, she wondered where her Taichou had found shelter for the next few days. Although he’d assured her they would be fine, she still worried. It was her job to worry for her Taichou and her inclination to worry for the man she loved.

The two Taichou watched her go, something that was rather hard for Shunsui. He wanted to make sure she was safe and only felt she was completely so if she was with him. He didn’t like being separated from his tiny Nanao-chan.
“So…where are we going to stay?” Shunsui asked curiously.
Toushiro shrugged slightly. “I haven’t decided yet.”
“We could break in.” He suggested in a very offhand way.
Toushiro looked up at him sharply.
“Or not.” He raised his shoulders and put up his hands defensively. “It was just a suggestion.”

Ichigo’s father had, of coursed, approved. He knew immediately what the small woman was and that there must be more shinigami hiding nearby. It worried him slightly. Something always went wrong when Soul Society began nosing around the living world. He couldn’t turn this woman away though. She was quite powerful and could take care of herself. Also, many of the Shinigami he’d come across had been aware of the dangers their presence brought and took steps to protect innocents in their battles. Still, it made him a little nervous.
It kept him up late that night, sitting alone in the dark kitchen, sipping a cup of tea. He stared at the large picture of his wife in the next room, wondering how she would have taken their current life. If she would have accepted Ichigo and Karin’s powers, or his for that matter.
The knock at the door brought him out of his speculations. It was all a thought exercise, he would never know for sure what his lovely wife would have thought. Leaving his luke warm tea, he went to the main door of the clinic. He could feel before he got there that he knew who the man was.
“Kyoraku, long time no see.” He greeted, leaning his shoulder against the frame of the door. He was almost the same height as the tall man, allowing him to meet him eye to eye.
“Indeed, Kurosaki. I’m here to check on my fukutaichou and see how you have been.” He said with an amazingly serious tone.
“Ah, so she’s your fukutaichou. I figured she was a higher seated officer. I should have connected the flowers in her hair. I’m slipping in my old age. You can come in.” He said, a bit reluctantly. It was awkward talking to a former peer after his leaving.
“Thank you. And thank you for allowing her to stay. I’m glad she has somewhere comfortable and safe to sleep. We will be out of your way in a couple of days.” He promised, sitting down at the table across from Isshin.
“Are you intending to stay as well?”
“No. Just Nanao-chan.” He said, idly leaning back on one hand. “I thought I would stop by and see if you might be able to help us.”
“Will Ichigo be involved in this?”
“No, not at all. The danger has passed. We’re just looking for information right now.” He assured the worried father quickly, waving a hand. He once again recounted the events of the last week, asking if he’d seen or heard anything.
“I’m afraid not. Everything has been surprisingly calm. Ichigo hasn’t been running off with any sorry excuses, so I haven’t had a chance to bring out my zanpakuto in a while.”
Shunsui nodded slightly, thinking a moment. “Well, I do appreciate you keeping an eye out. We’ll try and bother you as little as possible in the future.” He promised, standing. “Again, thank you for looking after my sweet Nanao-chan.”
“Not a problem.” He said, his tone suggesting that if it should be come a problem…
“She won’t be. She’s very sweet and mild mannered. She won’t give, or attract, any trouble at all.” Shunsui assured him, straightening out his jacket. “And I won’t be a problem either. It was good to see you again, Kurosaki.”
“You as well, Kyoraku.” Standing, Isshin walked with him to the door. “Tell the guys I said hello.”
He nodded and turned to say his final farewells. “Ukitake will be pleased to hear that you’re doing well. Take care.” He waved before walking off into the night.

“My goodness you’re an early riser. Not even my dear little Yuzu wakes this early to make breakfast.”
With a gasp, Nanao spun around to find Ichigo’s father standing at the bottom of the stairs. She’d already put on a pot of water for tea. “Excuse me. I’m very sorry. I didn’t think anyone would mind if I had some tea.” She said, bowing low. She knew who he was, of course. They had met before, very briefly, but she doubted he’d remembered who she was.
“No, no. A cute little thing like you? No need to worry. Our home is your home.” He grinned. “Mind if I join you, Ms. Fukutaichou?”
Nanao blinked slightly and nodded, a bit surprised.
“Your Taichou came to see me last night.”
Sitting while they waited, Nanao leaned against the table slightly. “He mentioned that he’d known you before you’d left Soul Society. I wasn’t sure if you would have remembered me or not.”
“I knew you were a shinigami, and a high ranked one at that, but I couldn’t put your face to the woman I’d met before I left. I’m ashamed I couldn’t remember such a pretty face.”
Nanao blushed gently and nodded in thanks at the compliment. “I won’t be intruding for long, but I appreciate you opening your home to me. I know that our presence here must make you uneasy. I won’t let any harm come to your family. As soon as Urahara returns, I will be out of your hair.”
“As I said, your no trouble at all. Besides, Urahara and his group needed the vacation. I would rather spend a few days with a pretty lady than have him be bothered.”
She nodded slightly and started to get up to attend to the tea. Raising a hand quickly, he waved her back down. “Please, allow me. I’m rather curious to hear about the goings on in Soul Society.”
“I would be happy to tell you.” She offered, accepting the tea cup he handed her.
Sitting down, they spoke for several hours together, a casual exchange of information. It would be a much faster passing of days than she thought. Pleasant even. Perhaps their visit would be fun after all. It was only a matter of time until Matsumoto forced her to go shopping. Until then she would enjoy the rare, pleasant company.