Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Watermelon Seed ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This wasn't exactly how she thought their little get-together at the beach would end. Staring at the pink stain on her white dress, Rukia sighs with slight sadness and annoyance, her new dress ruined and the noises from behind her aching her ears.
She turns around, her violet eyes staring warily at the group of her friends making fools of themselves without realizing they were doing it.
 
She looks at Chad, as he stares at the empty green bottle, almost as if he was wondering where the cider had gone. He's been like that for three hours straight.
 
`I think he's beaten Renji's record at staring at nothing awhile back.' The short woman muses as Chad's head rocks back and forth, fighting his body's urge to just knock out on the white table.
 
Inoue and Ishida aren't any better, Rukia thinks as she watches the two babble on about a book, and pointing their fingers at pages that only they seem to see. Rukia feels sweat roll down the side of her face as she wonders if they've realized there's no book in front of them.
 
`I'm starting to question what bottles Isshin-san gave to Ichigo before we came here.'
 
As if to further prove her thought, she flinches at the booming voices of her two other idiotic friends as they argue over who has the bigger zanpakuto.
 
Her eyes droop in irritation as Renji head-butts Ichigo.
 
“Just admit it Strawberry! My Zabimaru is clearly superior to your wimpy Zangetsu in almost every aspect!”
 
The boy growls, “Shut up you asshole! It's obvious by your bitter tone that you KNOW Zangetsu surpassed that overgrown useless metal whip you call a zanpakuto a long ass time ago!”
 
“What'cha say you overconfident bastard?!”
 
“Ya heard me you overgrown monkey! If there's any zanpakuto that's wimpy around here it's yours!”
 
As the heated argument continues Rukia watches with growing exasperation and soon finds that leaving her friends for a bit might not be such a bad idea.
 
“Besides, I'm the only one who didn't drink from those bottles.” Rukia mumbles to herself as she gets closer to the edge of the ocean's waves.
 
She can hear the distinct laughter of Inoue and the muffling noises of someone trying to speak. She turns around and covers her mouth to hold in her laughter as she spots Inoue hugging Ishida close to her…well-endowed chest. Rukia shakes her head as Ishida goes through ten different hues of red, and reaches out for Chad to try and pry Inoue off of him.
 
Chad knocked out about five minutes earlier. Rukia lets out a chuckle at their antics and continues on her way. She ignores the yells of Renji and Ichigo, and the distinct sound of someone suffocating, (She wonders if anyone will remember these moments of inebriation and sighs inwardly), and sits down on the warm sand and lets the ocean water wash over her toes.
 
A sea breeze blows through and plays with the locks of her pitch black hair, her violet eyes grow dim with comfort and peace as she lets the tranquility of the beach calm her down.
 
She notices the growing silence of her friends and gives a quick glance to check on their conditions. She smiles sympathetically at Ishida, who's fainted in his own pool of blood dripping from his nose. Inoue isn't any better as she wanders around trying to look for her missing hat since her one entertainment passed out awhile back.
 
She finds Renji's red head sticking out of the sand where she assumes Ichigo had kicked him into after their heated argument had boiled over. She smirks at the pained and annoyed look that crosses the man's face as he spits out sand from his mouth.
 
`I can't say he doesn't deserve it. He should know by now that Ichigo's a moron, and turns into an even bigger moron when drunk.'
 
As if the fates decide to punish her for her words, something heavy, white, and orange lands on her back and bites her neck playfully. She jumps at the contact of his warm lips and elbows him in the gut.
 
“Fool! Don't do that, I could have killed you just now.” She glares at the slumped form of the boy next to her.
 
She flinches as he looks up at her with a glassy-eye stare and grins at her. Her eye twitches as he inches closer to her, and she throws another biting remark at him.
 
“Back up strawberry boy, we both know that you trying to pull something in your state will harm you more than me.”
 
Ichigo stares at her with a questioning gaze then shrugs as he sits next to her on the sand. His scowl returns but is more easy-going as the sea breeze blows his orange locks and cools his sweaty face. Rukia's shoulders lose their tension as she realizes Ichigo's previous behavior vanished and she relaxes on the sand again.
 
“I beat him up pretty good huh?” Ichigo slurs softly as he laughs at something she doesn't quite understand.
She stares at the brown sand stains on his pants and the bread crumbs stuck on his shirt from the sticky liquid he drank earlier.
 
“I suppose so, but I think you still look like the biggest idiot.” She laughs out loud at his pissed off expression.
 
“You talk big for a midget Rukia.” He mumbles angrily to himself, his normal insults bogged down from the alcohol in his system.
 
“Wow, you think?” She asks sarcastically, earning her another scowl from the young man.
 
He growls but doesn't reply and opts to look out at the sun as it begins to set across the horizon. Rukia smirks in victory as she too looks at the setting sun. The sounds of her friends are now completely silent and she turns to see everyone knocked out cold.
 
“Looks like they had a little bit too much fun.” She laughs at Inoue as she hugs Ishida her hat snuggly on her head.
 
Ichigo doesn't reply and instead asks her an unexpected question. “Did you have fun Rukia?”
 
Rukia twirls around at the sincerity of his voice and tries to hold back her shocked expression. Did alcohol make the usual I-care-about-thee-not-when-ye-are-annoying attitude of Ichigo's disappear?
 
She gives the boy a thoughtful look and the turns to look at the water as it wades back and forth through the sand and her feet. Strands of her black hair cover her face for a moment and Ichigo's eyes narrow in worry.
 
“I…had fun, yes, I'm pretty sure I did.” She gives the pink stain on her shirt a meaningful look. “It's the first time I've ever done a watermelon eating contest…let alone won it.”
 
Ichigo scoffs, “Yea, you won all right, by cheating with that bottomless pit you call a stomach.”
 
Rukia nudges his ribs hard but laughs at his comment. “Hey.”
 
Ichigo doesn't seem to hear her for a moment, the alcohol making his reactions slower but he makes a sound she accepts as a `yea?'
 
“Thanks for taking us all to the beach Ichigo. I know this wasn't what you wanted to do, and we can both agree that this isn't how you wanted it to end.”
 
They both turn to find their friends twitching and snoring in their sleep. Ichigo and Rukia sigh and wonder if Isshin is off somewhere laughing his butt off.
“Even you got drunk after three glasses.” Rukia smirks as Ichigo scowls and huffs in annoyance.
 
“Shut up midget! I'll have you know…”
 
Rukia turns curiously to see what made the orange-haired boy grow silent. She nearly jumps up from her spot at the intense stare he's giving her. The glazed over look from the alcohol doesn't help her situation as he begins to act like before and inch closer and closer to her.
 
She can feel her face growing warm and kicks at the sand to try and scoot away from the drunk Ichigo. She lets out a yelp when the boy's reflexes make a stunning return and grabs her arm so fast she could barely see it.
 
His eyes slowly droop as he gets closer to her face and Rukia can feel the blood flowing faster in her face and her heart rate increasing.
 
“I-Ichigo…what are you doing?” She curses herself for her voice coming out so meek and helpless.
 
“Shh.” Is all he says as his hand gently cups her cheek and his thumbs begin to caress it.
Rukia's violet eyes widen and she begins to wonder if the alcohol turned Ichigo into the complete opposite of himself.
 
`He's too close too close!! I swear to god I can even feel his breath fanning my face.'
 
Orange locks of hair brush against her forehead and his chocolate brown eyes focus on hers. Her eyes can't help but lower to his lips as he mouths out her name repetitively.
“Rukia…”
 
Rukia shuts her eyes as his lips make contact with her cheek and then lower to her lips to steal one quick but deep kiss. As their lips part she opens her eyes and stares at the satisfied smile and happy glint in Ichigo's eyes.
 
She's about to state something, when something catches her eyes. She tries to keep her mouth from hanging open as Ichigo grins at her with a black watermelon seed tightly held between his teeth. She touches her cheek he kissed and feels the stickiness of where the seed used to be.
 
Ichigo spits out the seed and holds it in his hand, his drunken state finding the situation extremely funny. He giggles at Rukia's expression, and starts laughing hysterically as her face turns bright red with anger at his nonstop laughter.
 
“Ichigo…” She whispers angrily through clenched teeth. “I swear to god if you don't stop laughing I'm going to rip that tongue right of that big mouth of yours!”
 
 
Ichigo tries to grab for her again, but she slaps his hand away and he just continues to laugh.
 
“C-Come on (snort) it wasn't that bad of a (laugh) joke! Besides…” he leans forward as if he's trying to get up. “I l-liked your lips. They tasted like wa…ter…melon.” But Ichigo's body finally gives in to the alcohol's effects and collapses on top of Rukia, a grin still on his face.
 
Rukia sighs, as she lies flat on her back with a giant orange-haired man sleeping on top of her and holding onto her waist with such a possessive hold that she reminds herself to kick him for being so overprotective.
 
She stares at the sky as it darkens and stars begin to streak across it. She absentmindedly begins to stroke through Ichigo's orange hair and smiles as she hears him grunt and bury himself deeper into her neck.
 
She can catch a glimpse of their friends still sleeping in the same positions, even Renji who fell asleep on the sand. All their faces look happy and tranquil and Rukia can't help but let out a contented sigh as the day ends and she finds that she enjoyed their trip here.
She looks down to see orange hair and slow breathing coming from the man above her, and she smiles sheepishly.
 
“Well, this may not have been how I wanted it to end…but” Ichigo murmurs her name before tightening his hold on her waist. “I have no complains.”