Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction / Urusei Yatsura Fan Fiction / Sister Princess Fan Fiction / Tokimeki Memorial Fan Fiction ❯ Illusions (vignette) - A Child's Spring ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kashiwa, northeast of Megatokyo, 12 February 2033, evening...

"Hannah! Madison!"

The elderly man in his smartchair looks around his home, an eyebrow arching. Odd. His live-in lovers should have responded by now. In the fifteen years since he obtained Hannah and Madison, they had never ONCE failed to instantly respond to his commands. Was something wrong?

Humming, Toshizuke Yoshino mentally commands his smartchair to wheel him to his master bedroom. Toshizuke was a speculative investor, a man who earned the majority of his fortune trading stocks, bonds, stock options and various national treasury notes. After four decades of many successes -- and yes, the odd failure -- Toshizuke's net wealth could be measured in the high eight figures. He invested wisely to ensure he could maintain his lifestyle; Toshizuke was a "B-Level" stock owner in Genom (not one of the central group of shareholders, but part-owner of several of the megacorp's subsidiaries). He also held stock in two dozen firms, including boomer programming firms like Zonecorp. Those were trivial investments; given how strong the megacorp was performing, his investments in Genom ALONE would ensure Toshizuke Yoshino would be well off for the rest of his life.

"Yoshino-dono?" a voice calls out.

Toshizuke stops his smartchair, looking right to see his personal boomer valet, a C-59 he named Brandon, walk up. "Brandon, where are Hannah and Madison?" the investor demands; when he wasn't in his home on the south shore of the Tone-gawa (Tone River), he left his lovers' care to the valet.

"They await you in your bedroom, Yoshino-dono," Brandon respectfully bows. "You insisted they await you there when you left this morning."

Toshizuke blinks, then sighs, scratching his temple. Did he leave that command to Brandon? Damn, old age was creeping up on him, wasn't it? "Yes, yes, I see! But I wanted them to come to me when I called for them, Brandon. Made DAMN sure they respond to my words next time!"

"Hai, Yoshino-dono, wakarimashita (I understand)," Brandon bows.

The investor then guides his smartchair into the master bedroom, a grin crossing his face as he beholds his two youthful lovers lying nude on the emperor-sized bed, both rigidly at attention. Their skin gleams, as if they had oiled their bodies before presenting themselves to their master. Both were quite buxom, without a single flaw on their bodies. Caucasian by birth, they shared flaming red hair and eyes the shade of spring leaves.

Gazing at Hannah and Madison, Toshizuke grins. Getting them from the Island had been the best purchasing decision he ever made. No need these days to concern himself with nagging wives or mistresses with desires that clashed with his own. No need to worry about paternity lawsuits, alimony and the many other things that plagued "normal" couples. No need to worry about anything save endless nights of hot passion and loyal service.

He guides his smartchair to the side of the bed, then reaches over to the nightstand, where two remote controls presently sat. One had Hannah's name on it, the other Madison's. Reaching for the former's, Toshizuke holds the control close as he picks out a possible routine. Smiling, he then taps controls to awaken her from her programmed slumber.

"Oh, I'm afraid she won't respond to that from now on."

He stops, spinning to see the doors to his bedroom closing. Behind them were two girls in their mid-teens, dressed in grey-trimmed, dark blue, sleeveless bodysuits. Quite attractive, they possessed dark green eyes and red hair styled in side-by-side ponytails. As a matter of fact, Toshizuke blinks as a storm of conflicting emotions boils deep within his heart, they looked like younger versions of Hannah and Madison themselves!

"Who are you?!!" he demands. "Brandon, get in here!!"

The younger twins exchange icy looks, then the one to Toshizuke's left cutely pouts. "Oh, I'm afraid all your boomer staff won't listen to a thing you say anymore, Toshi-chan," she gracefully slides away from the wall, sauntering seductively towards him. "After we came here and absorbed the psyches of your two playtoys, we slaved Brandon-kun and the others to our control. You've got NO ONE to turn to anymore, Toshi-chan!"

"Gee, that's just TOO bad, isn't it, Hannah?" the other laments, her steely glare indicative of what she really thought about Toshizuke Yoshino.

"Yeah, Madison, that's just too bad," Hannah clicks her tongue.

Toshizuke blinks, his jaw fluttering. "Wh-wha...?!"

Before he could react, the younger twins stand to both sides of him, Madison's hand reaching behind his neck to disconnect the primary control lead between Toshizuke and the smartchair. He cries out, then gags as Hannah's hand clamps down HARD on his throat, she shifting his face to gaze up on her. "Did you really think you'd get away with it forever?" she leans down to stare intently into his eyes. "Get that bastard Morgan to completely FUCK with our lives, turn us into your pet sex slaves, then hide us from the rest of the world just to get your damned rocks off? Nice try, asshole. Right now, the shoe's..." she grins, "...on the other foot!"

The financier shudders, trying desperately to regain some sort of emotional dominance over these two. "You have nothing..." he rasps. "He made sure of it...! You have nothing at all..."

"Yeah, you're right there, Toshi-chan," Madison tilts her head to stare into his face. "So, since you took our lives away, we're going to do the very same thing to you. Isn't that a nice idea?!" she grins.

He blinks confusedly. "Wha...?!"

A second later, an inhuman shriek echoes through the Yoshino home...

* * *

"Illusions" Vignette - "A Child's Spring"
a fanfic of the Bubblegum Crisis - Megatokyo 2033
by Fred Herriot
fherriot@yahoo.com
**** **** ****
Editing/C&C by ...
**** **** ****
Based on situations from "Bubblegum Crisis," created by ARTMIC and Youmex; "Urusei Yatsura," created by Rumiko Takahashi and Kitty Films; "Tokimeki Memorial," created by Konami; and "Sister Princess: Onii-chan Daisuki," created by Mediaworks
**** **** ****
This story is also based on my UY fanfic series "The Senior Year" (co-created by Mike Smith) and "The Ishinomaki Years," as well as the BGC fanfic series "No Armour Against Fate" by Shawn Hagen
**** **** ****

NOTE: The writer's notes are located at the end of the story text.

**** **** ****

Ichikawa, east of Megatokyo, 15 February 2033, morning...

"Ohayou, Haruka!"

Haruka Tenhiro moans as she shifts the covers away from her face, then she looks toward the doorway to see Aria Kimino step into the room, breakfast tray in hand. Much to the martial artist's delight, her fiancee is nude save for a 'Kiss The Chef' apron covering her front. "Ohayou, Aria," Haruka grunts as she stretches herself, then as Aria places the tray on the nightstand, reaches over to yank the latter back into bed.

"Haruka!!!" Aria cries out, then moans as Haruka swamps her with a kiss, the latter's hand deftly untying her apron.

An eternity of passioned lovemaking later, they relax in the other's embrace, the covers strewn haphazardly over them. "Breakfast is getting cold, Haruka," Aria contently sighs as she snuggles under Haruka's chin.

"Yeah, you're right about that, but I just don't care," Haruka gazes down on her fiancee. "There're more things in life for me right now."

"You tricked me into saying that to you, remember?" Aria reminds her.

Haruka pauses, then sighs. "Are you mad?"

"No," the ex-FS nanny shakes her head. "I can never be mad at you, Haruka, not after what we've both been through."

"Yeah," Haruka sighs, closing her eyes.

"Is there something wrong?"

"I miss you calling me 'Nee-ya.'"

Aria sighs, then reaches up to draw Haruka's face close to her. "Tough. Get used to it," she growls, then they kiss.

The videophone. Haruka and Aria gently part, then sigh before the former rises. Slipping on her housecoat, the martial artist walks into the hallway connecting the various parts of the Kiminos' apartment. Glances at the wall reveal pictures of Aria with her father Shion, he now stewing in AD Police's lockup. Haruka feels her fists clench as images of her wrecked home in Kimitsu flash through her mind, then she relaxes, reaching into the alcove where the videophone sat. "Moshi-moshi, Kimino-ke, Tenhiro Haruka desu (Hello, this is the Kimino home, Haruka Tenhiro speaking)," she calls out, then her eyes widen on seeing who was calling. "Saotome-hakase!"

"Ohayou, Haruka-chan," Yoshio gently grins, he now in his office in Nerima. "How are you and Aria-chan doing this morning?"

"Surviving," Haruka tries not to blush, though she suspects the House Patriarch would more than understand her feelings on matters like this. "Is there something wrong, Saotome-hakase?" she then wonders.

"Well, Saki's been deluged with a dozen calls from Zonecorp investors about your father's death and all that. You know, wondering about who'd take charge of the place and all that stuff. She's been forced to call an emergency meeting at the Tower today after lunch."

"Do Aria and I have to be there?"

"Hai. We're going to let out the whole bag about what Aria-chan's dad did and your father's complicity in that. Don't worry; we'll get Leon McNichol to explain the gory stuff. But I think it'll do the shareholders and investors a world of good to see you and Aria-chan there."

"Saotome-hakase, I can't take full control of my father's stock until I turn twenty," Haruka reminds him.

"True, but you'll still be seen as the symbolic leader of Zonecorp unless you publicly defer that role to someone else. Do you have someone in mind who might be qualified to take your father's place?"

"I..." she pauses, then sighs. "Iie."

"I didn't think so," Yoshio gives her a sympathetic glance. "Look, don't panic about it now. From what Saki's told me about the people who deal with Zonecorp a lot, they're a pretty nice bunch. They'll be more than understanding about what happened and what's being forced on you, Haruka-chan. Just be here today. We'll worry about things then, okay?"

"Hai, wakarimasu (I understand)," Haruka nods.

"Ja ne."

The link is cut. By then, Aria, now draped in a housecoat, has come out of the bedroom, she staring concernedly at her fiancee. "Haruka, are you sure you're going to be alright?" the ex-nanny wonders.

"I..." Haruka blinks, then sighs. "I don't know, Aria."

* * *

Megatokyo, Minato Ward, Roppongi, south of the Fault...

"She's not here...?"

Savannah scans around the small apartment. It was a typical residence for the type of street walker her target became after her master was killed in Second Kantou. Bedroom, bathroom and a kitchenette, the whole no more than eight square metres in size. A glance in the refrigerator reveals bottles of fruit punch and mineral water, drinks preferred by those like her target when they couldn't enjoy a calorie drink, one specially designed for their kind. A glance at the garbage can revealled empty boxes of Sunshine Nutri-Snacks.

Yes, this is where she lived.

Humming, the teenage girl with wavy purple hair and dark grey eyes sets aside her travelling bag as she sits on the bed. Her eyes scour the vanity and dresser. No, nothing there. With that, Savannah kneels, then glances under the bed. She blinks, then draws out a box. Opening it, she blinks again. Ammunition and empty magazines for an Magnum Research Group MRG-28 mini-railgun. That was an illegal weapon in Japan, Savannah knew. Had someone seen her target with the weapon, then did something about it?

If so, what should she do now?

Sighing, Savannah stands, then glancing at the small nightstand beside the bed, she opens the drawer. A smile crosses her face on seeing the complex remote control sitting there. Taking that out and slipping that into her travelling bag, she heads out. Alright, then.

All she had to do now was triangulate her target's location, then she could finally, FINALLY, accomplish her mission...

* * *

Elsewhere...

"You up yet?"

A moan escapes from under the mass of blankets, then they're flung aside to reveal a man in his early teans, sandy brown hair shaggily topping an effeminite face. Rubbing his face of sleep, he sets aside the covers, adjusting his boxer shorts as he stumbles out of the bedroom. A glance into the other bedroom of the apartment reveals two older people, asleep. The male of the pair is an older version of the boy who just woke up.

"Yeah, I'm up," he walks into the living room-kitchenette where a teenage girl his age, possessing reddish-brown hair, was now preparing breakfast. This girl, the boy knew, was a younger version of the female in the bedroom he looked into after waking up. "Oooh, damn, that sure smells good," his nose twitches excitedly as he slinks up behind her, his hands slipping under her halter top to gently fondle her budding breasts.

"Hey, you pervert!" she snarls, trying to shove him back.

"Lindsey," he licks the back of her neck; Lindsey kept her hair tomboyishly short. Despite her protestations, she finds it hard to fight his soft touch. "These may be teenage bodies, but you know what we are."

"Kyle, I'd like to concentrate on breakfast so I don't burn it," Lindsey reminds him. "These may be cyberoid bodies we've got, but we still have to eat just like normal people do."

Kyle pauses, then chuckles, gently kissing her earlobe as he breaks away, walking to the refrigerator. Opening it, he draws out a package of Sunshine Nutri-Snacks, then turns for the bedrooms. "I'll go feed the pets while you get breakfast ready," he informs her.

"Right."

He walks into the bedroom shared by the adults. Opening the nightstand drawer beside the bed, he draws out two complex remote control units. One was marked "Kyle," the other "Lindsey." Aiming the former at the male, he taps the "A" key. Instantly, the man's eyes open, he smoothly rising from bed to reveal a well-toned form lacking clothes or body hair in natural places. The man is still as Kyle opens the box of Nutri-Snacks. "Breakfast," he holds up one of the flower-shaped treats before the man.

"Yes, sir," the man replies, keeping his mouth open to receive the snack. It is quickly munched down and swallowed.

With that, Kyle uses the other remote to awaken the woman. Like her bed partner, she too is nude and lacking any body hair below her head. Another snack is offered and eaten, then Kyle scans the various keys on both remotes. All the letters in the alphabet are there, along with keys possessing various code-words. He aims one remote at the man, tapping two buttons. The woman gets three buttons tapped. Kyle remains in place for a moment as the adults face each other, then commence a very steamy intimate act. Hanging onto the remotes, Kyle heads out of the bedroom.

By then, Lindsey has set up breakfast on the coffee table for them. "See you got the old ones going at each other," she smirks as they sit down and eat. "Don't want to wear them down too much."

"Hey, just as long as we keep them powered up with those Nutri-Snacks, they're guaranteed to last for a LONG time," Kyle sets the box aside, then raises his glass of juice. "To freedom, Lindsey. Cheers!"

"Amen to that," she clinks glasses with him, then they drink.

Finishing breakfast quickly, they soon dress in trendy clothes for teenagers their physical age. The apartment doorbell rings. "Right on time," Lindsey hums, pointing to Kyle. "Get them ready to go."

"Got it," he heads into the adults' bedroom.

Lindsey opens the door to reveal a well-dressed man with Yakuza tattoos barely hidden by his shirt collar. Behind him is a massive brute that could only be a C-class boomer. She gazes briefly at the bodyguard, fighting down the urge to openly sneer. *Worthless Genom trash,* is the first though to waif through her mind as she offers a friendly smile to the legman. "Ohayou, Tetsuo-san. C'mon in and wait for a bit, but keep that thing out here!" she indicates the boomer, waving Tetsuo Kuroda inside.

"Oi, no problem, Lindsey-chan," Tetsuo nods, making a hand motion to ensure the boomer remained in place. "Shit, ever since you and your brother offered your 'parents' to help my little escort service stay afloat, I've been swimming in cash. You sure you can't find any more of them running around the place?" he crosses his arms.

"After over fifteen years since the operation was shut down, everyone either winding up dead or scattered around the world? What do you think our chances really are in the end?" Lindsey's eyebrow arches.

"Yeah, got a point there."

Kyle steps out of the bedroom. The two adults follow him. Both are dressed casually, though their clothes don't begin to detract from their stunning looks. "Tetsuo-kun!" Kyle gives Tetsuo a ritual series of handshakes and handgrabs, then offers the two remote controls. "Make sure they come back in one piece. We need 'em as much as you do," he winks.

"You got it, my man," Tetsuo takes the controls, then slips each into one of his blazer pockets. "Kinda pity neither you or Lindsey-chan here can grow up like normal kids do. Come a few years from now, you'd both be good enough to earn your own money."

"We could only hope," Lindsey rolls her eyes, then stares at the two adults. "Now, you know the deal. You listen to everything Tetsuo-san here tells you, do what you have to with whatever people he lines you up with. Make sure you don't get stiffed either."

"Yes, ma'am," both adults respond.

"I'll make sure they get back before late," Tetsuo winks. "Give me a call if you need 'em to show up earlier, 'kay!"

"Thanks," Kyle nods.

Tetsuo orders the two adults to follow him out. As soon as the door closes, both teenagers breathe out. "Are you sure we can trust that guy?" Lindsey stares intently at Kyle, crossing her arms.

"Hey, Lindsey, we helped him make sure no one could fuck around with his boomers, remember?" he shrugs. "It's a point of honour with him, okay? Unlike all the imported gangs, especially the assholes tradin' drugs, the Yakuza still hang onto that. It's cool." A sly smile crosses his face. "Besides, given how we can shift our looks, we can pretty much get away if he ever tries a double-cross. But I really don't see Tetsuo doin' that."

"Let's hope so," she sighs. "So, the first time we've been in junior high for...! Well, for me, thirty years. How about you?"

"A lot longer," Kyle smirks. "Well, all we've got to do now is get registered, then wait until the start of April before we're expected to attend classes. Let's go have some fun."

"Right..."

* * *

Near Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada, that moment...

"There you are..."

It is late evening, the sun having set for those in the Muskoka Lakes region of Ontario. The brown-haired teenager with golden-brown eyes smiles as she pulls the door leading into the storage room open. Flipping on the light, she allows herself to switch back to normal vision as she gazes on the two female forms frozen on the bare mattress in the centre of the room. Both are nude. Noting that, the teen shakes her head, then looks behind her. "Brooke?!" she calls out. "I found there! Come on down here!!"

Footsteps echo as a blonde teenager steps down. "Oh, good!" she grins, then flexes her fingers as she strides past the other into the storage room. "Okay, let's get this done and over with."

"Brooke, wait!" the brown-haired girl gently snares the other's shoulder, causing Brooke to stop.

Brooke blinks, then stares at her companion. "What's the problem, Kelsey? You know this is what we have to do!"

Kelsey blinks, then draws her hand back. "I know, but..." she pauses, then stares at her target. "You know, if we do this, we might..." another pause, then, "End up killing ourselves."

Brooke stares at her, then glances at her own target. "No, I don't see this as killing ourselves, Kel," she shakes her head. "I see this as liberating the person this once was, then giving her another chance at life as a part of *myself.*" With that, she sits on the bed beside the being born Brooke Linda Martins forty years ago. "Think about it, Kel," she glances at her sister. "For fifteen years, maybe more, she's been trapped deep inside her own body thanks to a perverted monster far worse than any of those animals that ran I-Corp. Where's the justice in that, Kel? There is none..." she holds up a hand. "Save for what we can do for them."

Her hand decends, touching her target's face. Seeing that, Kelsey sighs, then sits beside her own target as she replicates Brooke's action. They gaze into the other's eyes, then Kelsey smiles, reaching over to gently grip Brooke's free hand. "We'll stay together, won't we?" she asks.

"You bet. Let's do it."

"Okay..."

* * *

Unseen by either, a car turns down the lane towards the cottage. In the driver's seat is a boomer, a male 48-SD loaned to the passenger as a combination chauffeur/bodyguard. Sitting in the back, dressed neatly for one her age, is a regal-looking woman in her mid-seventies, now reading a copy of the "Globe and Mail." Even if she is in civilian clothing, the alertness in her eyes, the discipline she projects even while relaxed, speaks of someone who belonged more in a uniform. In her case, the serge and black of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

"We're almost there, Commissioner Dunn," the driver reports.

"Yes, I can see that," Lisa Dunn nods...

* * *

Two teenage girls emerge from the storage room, gently flexing their fingers. A knowing look is exchanged, then both smile before sliding into an embrace. "Let's get the hell out of this place," Brooke whispers as she guides Kelsey to the stairs. "Time to really enjoy our lives now."

"What about our other-selves?" Kelsey indicates the storage room, where two nude women still lay on the mattress.

"Forget about...!"

Brooke then pauses, her ears picking up the faint noise of a car approaching. Glancing out a nearby window, she exhales sharply through her teeth on seeing a limousine approach. "Oh, fuck!!" she spits out.

"Who is it?!" Kelsey looks herself, then growls. "Well, well..."

"Let's go! We can still hur-...!"

"No!"

Brooke stares at Kelsey. The latter's face is set in a steely mask of determination. "Let's go back to the storeroom."

Brooke blinks, then nods...

* * *

The limousine stops, the driver stepping out to open the back door and allow Lisa Dunn to step out herself. "Ah, it's good to be home," the retired commissioner sighs as she makes her way to the entrance, her driver falling in behind her. "Lecturing prospective officers is SUCH a chore..."

The driver remains silent as they step in, he moving automatically to draw off Lisa's gaberdine. Recently activated, he hadn't had much of a chance to evolve some form of self-control or awareness. Glancing around to ensure his charge was safe, he then tenses on detecting two faint heat signatures. "Wait," he assumes a more protective position.

"What?" Lisa demands, her voice lowering.

"There was someone here," he raises a hand, vibro-claws deploying immediately as he traces the heat trail to the stairwell for the basement.

Lisa blinks, then jolts as someone ascends the stairs. A very meek voice then calls out, "Mistress? Are you home?"

"Wait!!" Lisa barks as the driver moves to intercept whoever was coming upstairs. "Leave her be! She's with me!!"

The driver stops as a nude woman ascends the stairs, then lowers herself to her knees, bowing her eyes away from her mistress. On seeing her act of submission, the driver relaxes, sheathing his vibro-claws. "Brooke!" Lisa smiles, offering her hands to the younger woman. "What are you doing up? I thought I left you and Kelsey in the storage room."

Brooke gazes reverently at Lisa, then on seeing the offered hands, gracefully rises, placing her hands in her mistress'. Once back on her feet, she automatically bows her head away from Lisa's. "I do not know who awoke me, Mistress. But I am glad you are home. How may I serve you?"

"I want both of you to serve me," Lisa reports, then stares at the driver. "Go down to the store room and retrieve the other girl that is on the mattress there. Bring her back upstairs."

"Yes, Commissioner," the driver nods, then heads down the stairs.

Lisa sighs as she guides Brooke to a nearby reclining chair. Sitting down, the retired policewoman whispers, "Oral."

"Yes, Mistress," Brooke draws her hands away from Lisa's...

...then, to Lisa's surprise, she lunges over to grab the older woman by her neck, squeezing tight. Lisa's cry of shock is instantly silenced as air is cut off from her lungs. Her ears then pick up the sound of several people ascending from the basement. Brooke then relaxes her grip slightly, allowing the commissioner the chance to draw in some oxygen. "Wh-what...?"

"Well, well, well, Lisa! It's been a while," a strange voice mocks.

Brooke's hands grab Lisa by the lapels, then yank her to her feet, spinning her left to see who had come up from the basement. The retired commissioner blinks on seeing her other personal sex slave, Kelsey, the driver -- and two teenager girls who look like younger twins to Brooke and Kelsey! The younger Kelsey has her arms crossed, a sneering grin on her face. "Hey, Boss, for an old douche-bag like you, you're actually looking pretty good there," she clicks her tongue, sauntering over to gaze intently into Lisa's eyes. "Like I said, Lisa. It's been a LONG while since I could speak to you freely as another human being. Remember?"

Lisa blinks, then her eyes widen before she glances hopefully at the driver. Before she could say a word, the adult Kelsey walks over to grab her by the throat and squeeze hard. Lisa gasps, then tries to push those hands away from her neck. She fails. "Don't bother, 'Mistress,'" Brooke shakes her head, walking around the retired commissioner before she delivers a sharp chop to the back of Lisa's neck.

The older woman jolts, then slumps unconscious. Kelsey turns to the driver. "You have your orders. Carry them out."

"Yes, ma'am," he walks over, taking the unmoving Lisa Dunn in his arms, then he carries her out of the house.

Brooke and Kelsey watch them go, then turn to their older-selves. "Return to the storeroom, then deactivate yourselves," the former orders.

"Yes, ma'am," both nod, then head downstairs.

"Okay," Kelsey nods as both hear the limousine's engine turn over. Glancing outside, they smile on watching the vehicle back away from the cottage, then head down the lane. "Give it a few minutes, then we'll head out. By that time, Lisa'll be in the midst of a 'very tragic accident,'" a mocking tone tinges her voice, then she wickedly smiles. "Too bad!"

"So sad," Brooke chuckles as they give each other a high-five, then she sighs. "Pity, though. I wonder how many others like us are free."

"Hard to tell. And, maybe, it's a smart idea to keep quiet about it," Kelsey muses. "Whoever got these new bodies for us MUST be seriously connected. People like that ALWAYS have powerful enemies, Brooke. Haven't seen a situation If we blow something open to the wrong people..." her voice rises in warning as she holds up a finger.

"Yeah, true," Brooke nods, then crosses her arms. "Atop that, we need to do some catching up. After all, most of our social knowledge dates back to around 2018 or so. This is 2033, remember?"

"Yep," Kelsey nods, then glances around. "Damn! Wish I was still a cop! Being a retired commissioner sure paid handsomely...! Eh?"

"What?"

Kelsey walks over to an endtable, then picks up a framed photograph. On it is a smiling teenager girl with caramel-shaded hair tied up in twin ponytails, a magnifying glass in hand. Written in scripted English under the smiling face is the following:

"Auntie Lisa,
"Love forever.
"Your 'New' Niece
"(And Future Policewoman),
"Yotsuba"

Underneath the name are two Japanese kanji characters, followed by three "O"s and three "X"s. "'Your NEW niece?'" Kelsey's eyebrow arches.

"Cute girl," Brooke glances over her friend's shoulder.

"Never mind..."

* * *

Sapporo, Shiroishi-ku (Shiroishi Ward), the Dunn home...

"AH-CHOO!!!!"

"Bless you, Yotsuba-chan!"

"Oooh!!" Yotsuba rubs her nose, then nods thanks to her mother. "Someone's got to be talking about me!"

"Well, let's hope it's good talk," Suzuko Dunn, the just-retired chief of Sapporo's police department, smiles.

"Yeah, let's hope so," Yotsuba sighs...

* * *