Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************

Ch apter 12


Tinsel City
Saturday, December 22, 2035
2:37am

This area of the MegaTokyo central district was a maze of bars, nightclubs, restaurants, strip joints, and other businesses that thrived at night. It was strictly an adult's playground, where those who had the money could find someone to supply pleasure.

So, the sight of a young girl running through the late night crowds was more then an usual event. It was shocking, even to those who made their living off the need for pleasure. What was even more disturbing was the pair of large men in business suits who were pursuing the girl. While the girl slipped and dodged with some skill through the crowd, her pursers were less conscientious, shoving everyone between them and their quarry out of the way.

The girl looked to be in her early teens, with long brown hair and an expression of pure terror on her lovely face. The clothes she wore, a dress and blouse reminiscent of a school uniform, were torn and stained. She didn't bother to scream or to seek help in one of the businesses, but continued to run through the crowd.

Her pursers were gaining, their tactic of bulldozing though the crowd more successful then the girl's. Finally, the girl tripped on a protruding slab of concrete, and fell heavily. Before she could scramble away, the two men reached her.

As one, they reached down and grabbed the girl by her arms. For the first time, she screamed. The two men ignored her cries, and hauled her to her feet. Still screaming, the girl struggled, but the men didn't release their hold. Without a word, they turned and started to drag the girl back in the direction they had come.

A police officer spotted the incident, and pushed his way though the crowd toward the trio. "Hold it!" he shouted, drawing his sidearm from its holster. "You two! Freeze right there! I want -"

The trio stopped. One of the men holding the girl calmly drew a large caliber pistol from under his jacket and shot the police officer several times. As the officer fell, the man shot several of the onlookers. As the crowd scattered in confusion and terror, the two men continued to drag the girl towards a car idling on a sidestreet, with its rear door open. The girl continued to scream and fight, but the men ignore her.

One man climbed into the back seat, dragging the girl in after him. At the same time, the other man watched for any signs of pursuit. Satisfied there was none, the second man waved to a car idling twenty meters up the street before he joined the first man in the back seat. The door closed, and the car pulled out into the traffic, followed by the second car.

They quickly disappeared into the heavy traffic, leaving a horror scene behind them.

**********

Gulf and Bradley - Japan Headquarters
MegaTokyo, Japan
Saturday, December 22, 2035
2:41am

Carlton Bradley watched the small blinking lights on the large map as the two cars drove away from Tinsel City, heading towards the Coastal highway. Cora stood next to him, her eyes bright with excitement as she watched her plan go into motion. Ozu stood behind them, his face impassive as he watched the blinking lights.

A tech looked up from his console. "First phase of the operation has been completed. Decoy team has left the area."

Another tech called out from another station. "Police report that the Boomers killed four people, wounded five more. One of the dead is a N-policeman."

Cora smiled. "Excellent," she purred, looking at her brother. "Better then I'd hoped for."

"Really?" asked Carlton mildly.

"Of course, Brother dear. A dead policeman will definitely keep the ADP's communication requencies humming. It'll help draw out our enemies that much quicker." She then turned back to the screen and said, "Where are response teams Able and Baker at this minute?"

A tech pushed a button, and two more lights appeared on the board, one some distance in front of the two cars, the other trailing. "Team Able is two point three kilometers in front of the decoy team. Team Baker is three point one kilometers behind the decoy team."

Cora nodded. "Communications, I want both response teams to move closer to the decoy team. No more then one and a half kilometers from the decoy team, no closer then a kilometer. Remind them that they are not to move in unless I give the word."

"Orders transmitted." There was a pause, then "Response teams are complying with the orders."

Cora shuddered with delight. "Now, we wait, dear Brother."

**********

Coastal Highway
District 6
Saturday, December 22, 2035
2:54am

Priss was beyond disgusted; she was really angry now. Angry, and more then a little worried. No one had seen Leon in nearly eighteen hours, and she knew that was unusual for him. She even tried to track down Skeeter, one of Leon's main underworld contacts, but the big guy had faded into the background.

After striking out at Skeeter's normal hangout, Priss decided to call it a night. She was too tired to continue, plus she hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. So, she was headed back to her trailer for several hours of slumber.

The blast of an air horn behind her startled her. She quickly pulled over, just as a large semi barrelled through where she had been scant seconds before. The passing wave of air came close to knocking her off her bike, and she stayed on by the skin of her teeth. She slowed down and glared at the receding lights of the truck.

What is that guy's problem? she thought angrily. And where the hell is he going in such a hurry? She glanced behind her, looking for any signs of pursuit, police, or otherwise. The only other vehicles in sight were a pair of dark cars coming up fast. Another tractor trailer a kilometer behind the cars paced them.

Under her helmet, Priss frowned. Something's going on. I can feel it. But what?

She drifted over to the far lane, giving the cars and truck a clear lane. Opening the throttle, she sped up, keeping her speed just below that of the approaching vehicles. She watched the cars slowly overtake her in the bike's rear view mirror.

They were typical company cars - nondescript, dark gray in color, with tinted windows. Something in the back of Priss's mind whispered that there was something wrong here, but she couldn't consciously pinpoint the source of her uneasiness. She watched them pass, and her uneasiness grew.

She heard the sound of a motor, and she looked up and behind her. An ADP vehicle, a one man patrol chopper, was approaching the highway from the direction where the cars had come from. Coming in fast and low.

It shot over the cars at a high rate of speed, then pulled up and away. Priss slowed and watched the chopper turn and come back towards the two cars, flying higher and slower this time.

Hot dog, thought Priss sourly. Why don't you --

A sunroof in the first car opened and a man in a business suit stood up inside the car. Priss's experienced eye told her that the man wasn't human, but a Boomer in disguise. She cursed to herself when she'd realized the Boomer held a rocker launcher, and was aiming it at the oncoming chopper.

The pilot must have seen the rocket launcher at the same instance, because he pulled up quickly, trying to put distance between him and the rocket launcher. Despite the car's speed, the man in the car tracked the chopper with cool precision, waiting for the right moment.

As the chopper reached for altitude the man fired the rocket launcher. The rocket sped away, its engine lighting up the night. The chopper tried to twist away from the rocket, but the missile readjusted its track and closed in on the ADP vehicle. Priss saw several small canisters fall from the chopper, and explode with a shower of glittering strips. The rocket ignored the chaff, and pass through the strips and closed in on the chopper.

The explosion lit up the night in a way a simple rocket engine couldn't. A blossom of fire and smoke opened several hundred feet above the city. The wreaked chopper plunged to earth, leaving a trail of fire and debris in its wake.

Priss tore her gaze from the dying chopper just in time to see the two cars speed up and pull away from her. She lowered herself onto her bike to present as small a target as she could, in case someone in the cars decided she was next.

Son of a Bitch, she thought. I've got to alert Sylia.

She reached for the small pager Sylia insisted they Knight Sabers all wear and activated it. Hopefully, Sylia would realize something was wrong, and act accordingly. In any event, Priss had to keep trailing the two cars, and hope for backup soon.

**********