Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************


Chapter 14


Above District 6
December 22, 2035
3:15am

The Knight Wing was flying high and fast, passing through the air above MegaToyko like a giant bat. Mackie was in the pilot's seat, guiding the aircraft towards the target. Linna, Sylia, and Nene in the cargo bay, making their last system checks. There was an air of tension, mostly because of Priss's distress signal, but in part because of the chatter on the ADP channels. It wasn't clear what was happening yet, but the ADP had already lost a patrol chopper, which meant trouble.

Sylia had her visor up, but her thoughts were still scattered. Back at her apartment, it had taken several seconds for the low tone of the emergency beacon to register before she responded. But, once she did, she allowed the training and familiarity to take over.

She glanced at Linna. She'd been the first to arrive, just as Sylia had bought all the hardsuits on line. There hadn't been any conversation between the two of them as they suited up, for which Sylia was grateful. She still felt unfocused, and she needed every minute before they reached the area to pull herself together.

"ADP's bring up three more patrol choppers to track the vehicles," said Nene from the communications console. She and Mackie had arrive together ten minutes after Linna. With their clothes in disarray, they tried to maintain a disinterest in each other, but only succeeded in looking equal parts guilty, angry, and nervous. If the situation hadn't been so serious, Sylia might have smiled about it.

"Nine minutes to Priss's tracker, Sis," said Mackie. "It looks like she's still on the Coastal highway."

"Understood, Mackie," replied Sylia, her voice distorted by the hardsuit she was wearing. "As soon as we get there, I want you to hold position and give Priss a chance to get aboard and suit up."

"Is that wise?" came the reply. "I haven't been in this cockpit for over a year. If things get hairy, you might be out one Knight Wing and one brother."

"It's either that, or you suit up with us, and carry Priss's hardsuit down to her."

"All right, but don't expect more then covering fire from me."

"I won't expect to lead the charge - that's Priss's job. Once Priss joins up with us, I want you to stand off and wait for my signal." She turned to Nene. "We should be close enough to Priss to contact her. Find out exactly what we're flying into to."

"Right!"

"Are you all right, Sylia?" asked Linna. "You sound nervous."

Sylia didn't look at her. She didn't want to show any signs of weakness in front of her team mates.

"Sylia!" called Nene. "I've got Priss!"

"Let me speak to her."

"Patching you through."

"Priss, this is Sylia. What's happening?"

Priss's voice sounded distracted and distant. //There's two cars heading southeast at a high rate of speed. There's at least one Boomer in the first car - it took out an ADP patrol chopper. And - damn!// There were sounds of explosions in the background, followed by a long stream of curses from Priss.

"What happened?" Sylia asked coolly, feeling the mask she wore as team leader slip into place.

//Those SOB's just starting firing at me!//

"Are you all right?"

//So far - got to go - just hurry up, will you?//

"Just hang on," replied Sylia, the command mask firmly in place now. "ETA is eight minutes."

//Make it as soon as possible, OK? Priss out.//

"Sylia!" said Nene, looking up from the console. "There's reports on the ADP channels that the occupants of the two cars Priss is following were involved in an incident in Tinsel City. They killed several people, including a N-policeman, and kidnapped a girl off the street. Their description sound like Boomers in human form."

"Sis," cut in Mackie. "I-radar's picking up three objects coming in from the southwest, moving in low and fast."

"Any ID on them?"

"None. But whoever they are, they're not ADP. I'm picking up targeting systems and heavy ECM jamming from them."

"Nene, see if you can burn through their ECM and get an ID on them. Mackie, What's their ETA to Priss's location?"

"Five minutes. Do you want me to increase speed?"

"Go ahead. Linna, get the Motoslaves ready. We might need their firepower on the ground."

"Right."

**********

Above District 6
Saturday, December 22, 2035
3:17pm


From the gunner's seat of Rattler Two, Leon watched the city pass around and below them. I don't believe this, he thought. I must be breaking several dozen laws just by sitting here. And you know something, right now, I don't give a damn.

"What was that?" asked Rattler Two's pilot, a hard faced man who'd introduced himself only as Trask. He was sitting behind and slightly above Leon. "I didn't quite catch that."

"Nothing." He flipped over to the main frequency the force was using. While he listened in the snatches of conversation, he looked down at the gunnery controls. These Rattlesnakes were ugly looking, but they didn't skimp on firepower. Based on the old Soviet Hind Helicopters of the last century, these airships were flying tanks. A single 25mm rotary cannon in a flex mount located just under the gunship's nose was tied directly into his helmet. All he had to do was look in the direction he wanted, and the cannon followed. On a pair of stubby pylons that jutted from just behind the cockpit, the rest of the craft's firepower sat. Each pylon had a 60mm recoilless rifle inboard, then a drum launcher with forty HE rockets, and on the outboard, a pair of twin purpose air to air/air to ground missiles.

Behind the pylons, a cargo compartment big enough for six people was accessible by a large door on each side of the fuselage. Right now, two of the helicopter compartments were occupied by three hardsuited Knights, while the lead Rattlesnake carried Mallory and three others.

"ETA in three minutes," said the pilot of Rattler One. "Gunners, We are now in a free fire zone. Stand by on weapons."

"Gunner One here, standing by."

"Gunner Two," said Leon calmly. "Standing by."

Jeena's voice held a faint trace of amusement as she said, "Gunner Three, standing by."

"All Rattlers," interrupted a new voice. "This is Nest One. Be advised that we have a possible contact coming in from the Northeast."

"Nest One, this is Knight One. Can you confirm contact?"

"Negative, Knight One. Too much ground clutter."

"Understood. Rattler Two, increase altitude, and see if you can get above the ground clutter."

"Roger, Knight One," replied the pilot, and Leon felt the helicopter begin to climb quickly. In less then thirty seconds, the helicopter climbed two thousand feet, then leveled off.

"Rattler Two here," said Trask. "Contact is confirmed. Computer is trying to ID it right now." After several seconds, Trask said, "Computer can't match contact's profile with anything in it's memory."

"Knight One to Gunner Two. Can you ID the contact?"

Leon looked at a small screen on the left side of the gunner's station. The screen showed a lean, twin engine VTOL that he knew at once. Damn! They would have to show up now! "Gunner Two to Knight One. Affirmative on the ID. Be advised the contact is the Knight Sabers. That's their aircraft, the KnightWing."

"Understood, Gunner Two. Maintain watch on the contact." Mallory's voice was crisp, but Leon heard some of the tension in his voice. "All Rattlers, This is Knight One. The contact is to be considered neutral, I repeat, the contact is to be considered neutral. According to our local expert, it's the Knight Sabers. Neither their aircraft or any of it's occupants will not be fired on unless they fires at us, or I use an Omega command. Verbal response, please."

For several seconds, the airwaves were full of "Roger," "Understood," and the occasional "Clear". Leon asked the pilot. "What's an Omega command?"

"Pray you never find out," replied Trask brusquely. "ETA to landing sight is one minute."

Leon glanced out the window, and saw the highway several thousand feet below and off to his right. He saw two cars, one behind the other, moving rapidly towards them. Every few seconds, there was a series of flashes from rear of the cars. Shit! They're firing at something! He shifted his gaze in the direction they fire was heading, and he felt his stomach lurch as he saw the figure on a motorcycle a hundred meters behind the cars. Priss!

He knew it was her as soon as he saw her. Only someone with plenty of experience riding motorcycles at high speed, or suicidal, or both, would be trying to weave and bob through gunfire and explosions. Get the hell out of there, he thought. Leave these guys to us.

Us? When do you become part of this outfit? a dry voice reminded him. You're along because you know the city, plus you're an experience gunner. Nothing more.

"Gunner Two to Knight One. There appears to be a running gun battle between the targets and someone else."

"I see it," replied Mallory. "White team, stand -"

"Blue Leader to Knight One," growled a new voice. "Check out the two semis on the highway, the one about a kilometer ahead of our targets, and the one about the same distance behind."

Leon tore his gaze away from Priss, and spotted the two tractor trailers just as Mallory said, "I see them. They don't seem too concerned about the gunfight, do they?"

"They don't. They could be blind, or just stupid, but I doubt it. Remind you of MegaNew York?"

"Hell, yes. You want to bet their cargo is BU-12's?"

"Knight One, this is Red Four. I just scanned those trailers, and I'm picking up a huge amount of eletromagnetic disturbances from them - just like a bunch of Boomers getting ready to go into combat."

"No bet," said Blue Leader. "This is a trap all right. How do you want to play it?"

"We spring the trap, but not the way they want us to. Blue team, the rear semi is your target. White team, the forward semi. I want them stopped, any way possible. Use the Rattlers for fire support, and don't worry about sparing ordnance - ammo is easy to replace, people aren't. Red team has the cars. Red Four, try and contact the Knight Sabers. Let me know when you do make contact with them. Any questions?"

There were none. "All right Knights," said Mallory briskly. "Let's go to work."

**********