Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************

Ch apter 20

Gulf and Bradley - Japan Headquarters
MegaTokyo, Japan
Saturday, December 22, 2035
3:34am

Cora gritted her teeth and clenched her fists in anger. "It cannot be!" she shouted at the screen. "They escaped!"

"They did, Sister," replied Carlton slowly and soothingly. He walked up behind her, and put his hands on her shoulders. "They were more prepared then we thought. We will not make that mistake next time."

"NEXT TIME?" she shouted, spinning to face her brother. Her face was a mask of rage. "I WANT THEM DEAD NOW!"

Carlton felt his own anger rising, and smothered it quickly. He couldn't afford to lose his temper now. "We have nothing in position to track them," he said calmly, increasing his hold on Cora, "and they will be gone before we can send anyone."

"I WANT THEM DEAD NOW!" she screamed again. "DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD!"

Carlton stepped back and slapped her hard. The crack silenced all sound and movement in the room. Cora staggered back, clutching her cheek, the rage that had been on her face now replaced by shock and hurt. "You hit me," she said in a childish voice.

"Only because you were acting like a spoiled brat," Carlton replied evenly.

"I'm sorry, Carlton," she replied, her voice stronger and more controlled. "I guess I lost my reason when my plan didn't work."

Carlton nodded. "Your plan had merit, or I would not have allowed you to put into operation. We did not take into account several factors that we should have."

She returned his nod. "Yes, the gunships were an unforeseen component. And it appeared that the ambush was spotted before it could be sprung."

"Enough analysis for now," said Carlton. He turned to take in the rest of the room. "I suggest that everyone go get eight hours of sleep. We will meet at noon, to review this morning's operation."

The other people in the control room nodded and shut down their consoles. They filed out of the room, leaving just Cora, Carlton, and the silent Hachio Ozu. The moon-faced security man stood in a corner of the room, and watched the siblings.

Carlton ignored Ozu, and said to his sister, "You also need to get some sleep."

Cora nodded. "I think I should. You too, dear brother."

"I will. We'll talk about this tomorrow."

Ozu watched Cora Bradley walk out of the control room, waited until the door closed, the asked his boss, "What's our next move?"

Carlton didn't look at his security chief. "The first move is to make sure this incident is never traced to us."

"Yes sir. Is the hardware end of the matter taken care of?"

"Already done. We used several neutral satellites to link up with the Thor satellite, so tracing directly to us will be an impossible task. The other hardware will be removed from here and sent to several other GandB locations before the start of today's business. That leaves only
the human end of the matter."

"Do you want me to eliminate the techs that were in here tonight?"

"No. The people tonight were chosen because of their skills and experience, and I refuse to throw away useful resources unless I have to. Besides, they know what would happen to them and their families if any of them speak out about this. But just in case, make sure they're watched
for the next couple of weeks."

Ozu nodded. "What about the person who supplied the information for the Thor satellite's codes?"

"They can be eliminated, and at once. I suggest that is your first priority."

"I'll send the message out tonight."

"Good." Carlton turned to Ozu. "I want to see that weasel Mclaren first thing tomorrow. He's going to equip a strike force of Boomers with shield technology, and we're going after MALCORP holdings, here in the city."

The security man looked unconvinced. "Is that wise?"

"Are you questioning me?"

"Yes, sir. In this case I am."

Carlton bottled his anger before it could escape. "And I suppose you want a reason for this escalation?"

Ozu shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably. "If I'm to prepare our defenses against a possible reprisal, I should know why I'm preparing."

Carlton turned away. "The Black Knights and the Knight Sabers seem to have formed an alliance," he said. "It can't be that strong yet. By attacking MALCORP holdings here, I pull the Black Knights away from offensive action, and put them on the defensive. I force MALCORP and
Greg Mallory to worry about everything else but the VanDell girl."

He spun slowly to look at Ozu. "Speaking of her, I also want to see Doctor Zin-Choon first thing tomorrow morning. We may have to force the issue with the girl quicker then the good Doctor wanted to."

"The Doctor won't like it."

"Maybe not, but we may not have the time to be gracious with our guest."

"Understood, Sir. I'll tell the Doctor myself."

Carlton nodded. "Then it's time we got some sleep. Today will be an important day, and it is best we are aware when it comes upon us."

**********

Highway 17 - 4.5 kilometers northwest of the battle
District 6
Saturday, December 22, 2035
3:45am

Daley watched the raging firestorm with the other commanders from a safe distance. None of them spoke for several minutes, the sight before them an effective blanket on all conversation. In the distance, the wail of sirens became louder and louder, as emergency vehicles converged on the disaster area.

"We lose anyone?" Daley asked quietly.

Weiss replied. "No sir, our people got clear before the strike."

"Good." He turned to the others. "Since we couldn't stop this, we're going to contain it. Weiss!"

"Yes Sir?"

"I want all the detachments to seal all roads leading into the area. Emergency vehicles ONLY are to be allowed into that area. Coordinate with the fire department, N-Police, and emergency services. Thesan, what the make up of building in the strike area?"

"Warehouses, light industry, some research facilities," the woman replied. "Not much else."

"Fine. Get a list of all the businesses in that area, and get hold of someone from each one of them. I want to find out if they've got any surprises we should be aware of."

"Right!"

The ADP officer strode away, shouting orders in a loud voice. Daley ignored her, and continued to watch the raging fire in the distance.

**********

Sylia's Apartment
Saturday, December 22, 2035
4:14am

Sylia stood at the window and stared at the other three. Mackie and Nene were sitting close together on the couch. Nene's head was lying on Mackie's shoulder. Her eyes were closed, and her breathing deep and regular. There were undried tears on her face, and she didn't look peaceful.

Mackie had a protective arm around the Nene's shoulders. He alternated looks between his sister and the sleeping Nene.

Linna was curled up in a chair, both hands around a lukewarm cup of coffee. She was staring off into space, an expression of grief on her face. No one had spoken for several minutes.

Finally, Mackie spoke. "We don't know she's dead. Maybe that what Knight One was telling us before communications got too bad."

"And maybe Knight One was telling us she was dead," said Linna in a whisper.

"We don't know that, Linna. We saw the Black Knights land near where Priss was. It's quite-"

"Mackie," said Sylia softly. "Why don't you carry Nene into the spare bedroom? She's in no condition to drive home tonight."

Mackie nodded, and disentangled himself from Nene's grip. He reached down and gently picked her up. She snuggled against his chest, and murmured something under her breath. Slowly and carefully, he carried Nene out of the living room.

With two problems taken care of, Sylia looked at Linna. "Mackie's right. It's probable she's with the Black Knights right now."

"Assuming you trust these Black Knights," replied Linna quietly.

"At this time, I do." Sylia turned and looked out into the night. She could see the glow from the Thor strike in the distance.

Linna put her coffee cup down on the table next to the chair, and stood. "I'm going to go home. I'm going to have to work a half day tomorrow. I'll call you when I get off work." She turned and left the room. A minute later, Sylia heard the front door close.

Mackie came back into the living room. "I've got Nene tucked into the spare bed," he said. "And you look like you need some sleep yourself, Sis."

She shook her head. "I'm fine."

"Don't give me that," said Mackie. "You look like hell. You can't do anything until the morning anyway."

"I know."

"Then don't beat yourself over things you can't do anything about."

Sylia gave him a weak smile. "One of the burdens of leadership, brother. You should get some sleep."

"Not until you do."

"And I suppose you stay there until I do go to bed, right?"

"You got it. I'm not a kid anymore."

"You're not, are you?" she murmured softly. She turned and looked at her brother. "All right, you win. I'll go get some sleep."

Sylia walked out of the room, leaving Mackie alone. He went over to the window at stared out into the darkness. "I hope you are all right, Priss," he said quietly.

**********