Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 21

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
**************************************************

The Bubble Gum Crisis OVA's (which this story is based on) are copyrighted by
Artmic Inc. and Youmex, Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little
while for non-monetary reasons. I can be contacted at the Email address above.
Serious C&C will be accepted, out-and-out flames will result in a Boomer
or two being sent after you, once they get around to building them.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe . . .

*************************************************

Ch apter 21

Warehouse #41526584
Yokohama District
Saturday, December 22, 2035
4:14am

The warehouse was a hive of activity. Before the two surviving choppers finished touching down inside the large warehouse, the retractable roof was slowly sliding back into place. As soon as the two gunships were down, the pilots cut the engines. The roar of the engines died, replaced by the shouts of the personnel.

Each Rattlesnake was met by a team of medics and techs. The injured were removed to waiting stretchers. Most of the Knights got off under their own power and walked over to anxious techs, who began to unseal the hardsuits.

Knight One watched the activity in silence, scanning the personnel. He saw the man he wanted, and said over the loudspeaker, "Doctor Mayer! Over here!"

The doctor, a short thin man with a bulbous nose, and thinning brown hair strode over to Knight One. "What do you have?" he snapped.

"Patient for you," replied the Knight, pointing a thumb at the helicopter behind him.

"Who?"

"One of the Knight Sabers."

"What? A Knight Saber? What the hell are you doing with a Knight Saber?"

"Trying to get her medical attention, if the doctor will stop asking stupid questions."

"All right," muttered Mayer, "all right. How bad?"

"Don't know yet."

"Let me take a look at him."

"It's a her."

"A woman?" A look of disbelief crossed the Doctor's face. "Is this world going insane?"

"It went insane a long time ago, doctor. She's inside."

The doctor nodded, and climbed inside the helicopter. Thirty seconds later, he stuck his head out of the compartment. "I'll need a couple of your Knights to carry the stretcher to the first aid station."

Knight One pointed to two of the other Knights who were still suited. "Nicky, Marla, carry our guest's stretcher to the first aid station."

The two Knights climbed inside the helicopter, and carried out the stretcher with Priss on it. Moving quickly, but carefully, the stretcher, accompanied by Mayer, was carried away.

Leon climbed out of the gunship slowly, looking weary. He waved a hand at Knight One. "Did the Doctor say anything to you about Blue Saber?" he asked slowly. "He threatened to gag me if I didn't shut up."

"Doctor Mayer may have the bedside manners of Attila the Hun, but he's the best trauma doctor on the East Coast of the USA." Knight One pointed toward the First Aid area. "She's over there."

"Thanks." Leon slowly walked off. Knight One watched him walked away. He turned and nodded to a waiting tech. "Let's get this hardsuit off."

He had some plans to make in the next few hours.

**********

Sylia's Apartment
Saturday, December 22, 2035
9:14am

Sylia felt a hand on her shoulder, and she half opened her eyes. Mackie was gently shaking her awake, a look of concern on his face. "A visitor for you, Sis," he said quietly.

She opened her eyes completely. "Who is it?" she asked.

Mackie's eyes never left her face, nor did his serious expression change when she sat up. "A Mrs. Marla Brooks-Fenton, personal assistant to Greg Mallory."

"Where is she?"

"I showed her out to the patio by the swimming pool. I told her you were on the phone with an important supplier overseas."

Sylia climbed out of bed, and put on her bathrobe. "Did she say what she wanted?"

"Nope, and I didn't ask."

Sylia nodded, running her hand though her hair. "Is Nene still sleeping?"

Mackie shook his head. "I drop her off at work about forty-five minutes ago. She was a bit groggy, but she'll be all right."

"Fine. Give me ten minutes to get ready, then bring some tea out to the patio."

"Got it, Sis." He walked to the bedroom door before he turned and looked at her again. "I thought you'd want to know. There's no news about Priss. The news services have been covering the disaster hot and heavy, but they don't know much more then we do."

"Thanks, Mackie."

Mackie opened the bedroom door. "I better go start on that tea, then."

After her brother left, Sylia slipped into the bathroom. She quickly showered and changed, her thoughts on this person from Greg Mallory. What does Greg want from me? And why? Despite her thoughts, she still managed to reach the patio before Mackie arrived with the tea.

The woman was sitting at a small table on the patio, looking through a sheaf of papers. Sylia's first impression of the woman was elegance with a very solid core beneath it. The woman herself was slim and attractive, wearing a dark, severely cut business suit. She had red hair and bright green eyes, and most people would consider her strikingly attractive. She looked up at Sylia's approach.

"Mrs. Marla Brooks-Fenton?" asked Sylia.

She nodded and stood. "Miss Sylia Stingray, I presume?"

"I am. Please, Take a seat."

The two women sat. Sylia waited until Marla replaced the papers into a small briefcase. "What can I do for you, Mrs. Fenton?"

"It's Brooks-Fenton, Miss Stingray."

"Please, call me Sylia."

The woman considered this for a second, then nodded. "Very well, Miss . . . Sylia."

Mackie came out of the apartment with a tray. He placed it on the table and left. Marla watched him disappear into the penthouse before she said, "That's your brother Mackie, right?"

"Yes. He's here for the holidays from Germany." Sylia picked up the tea pot. "Would you like some tea?"

"Yes, please." There was no conversation while Sylia poured two cups of tea. When she was done, she leaned back in her chair and looked at Marla. "What does Greg Mallory want with me?"

"Mr. Mallory wishes to invite you to lunch at Dastari's today."

Sylia raised an eyebrow. "Oh? What time?"

"About a quarter to twelve." Marla tilted her head. "Will that be a problem?"

"No problem. Did he say what he wished to discuss?"

"Not in any great detail. He did mention he was looking to expand some of MALCORP's holdings in this city."

"Indeed." Sylia sipped her tea. "He could have invited me by phone."

"He could have," replied Marla. "But since I was in the area anyway, on other business, He thought a personal invitation might be more appropriate."

"I see." Sylia was silent for a moment, her thoughts racing. Always the hidden motive with you, Greg. Now what?

She looked at Marla. "You can tell Greg I'll meet him for lunch, and I'll listen to him. Beyond that, I will not commit myself."

The redhead nodded and pulled out an envelope from her briefcase. "Mr. Mallory also told me to give this to you." She placed the envelope, face down, in front of Sylia. "I have no idea what is in that envelope and Mr. Mallory didn't inform me of its contents." She stood and picked up the briefcase. "I must leave now. Is there anything else you wish to know?"

Sylia shook her head, her eyes never leaving the envelope. "Not at the present time."

"Very well," replied Marla. "I will inform Mr. Mallory that you will join him for lunch."

"Mackie will show you out. Good morning, Marla."

"Good morning Mis . . . Sylia." Mackie appeared and escorted the woman back into the penthouse. Sylia picked up the envelope and looked at it. She guessed it contained a single sheet of paper. It wasn't until she turned the envelope over and read the words printed on the front did she felt a chill go through her. In neat block letters, it read KNIGHT SABERS.

Sylia picked up a knife off the tea try and slit the envelope open. She slowly pulled the sheet of paper out, and unfolded it.


Sylia,

You know I've never been too subtle when it comes to speaking to you. And
this isn't a time to be subtle. So I will say it, and hope you'll understand.

I know you are the one behind the Knight Sabers. I won't go into details
about how I know right now. All I will say at this time is that you and I are a
lot more alike then you know. That is one of the reasons I want to talk to you
over lunch. Another reason I need to see you concerns your father, his work, and
the future for both of us.

If that isn't enough, you should know that your teammate is alive and she is
recovering from her injuries. She is in need of rest and healing right now. I think
it's best that she is reunited with your team as soon as possible. She saved two of
the Black Knights from harm last night, at a great personal danger to herself. I
know Knight One will not forget the service she's done.

Please, this is important. I promise this will not be a waste of time.


Greg Mallory


Mackie walked out of the penthouse. "What was that all about?" he asked.

Sylia passed the note to him. He read it slowly, then looked at his sister. "How did he know?" he asked woodenly.

"I'm not certain. But I need to see him."

"Are you crazy, Sis? It could be a trap."

Sylia shook her head and sipped her tea. "I don't think so. The Greg Mallory I know doesn't go for elaborate traps."

"The Greg Mallory you know is thirteen years in the past. He could be just like Quincy, or Carson Bradley."

"Nevertheless," replied Sylia, putting her teacup down, "I'm going to meet him."

"Not without me, you're not."

"No," she replied, standing slowly. "I want you to go over to Raven's Garage, and wait for my call. If I don't call by one o'clock, initiate the Medusa protocols."

Mackie looked pale. "You're not serious!" he exclaimed.

"Very much so."

"But all your work on the Hardsuits, and other projects -"

"Are better destroyed then in the hands of someone who will twist them to their own use."

Mackie regained some of his color. He exhaled deeply "All right, Sis. What about Nene and Linna?"

"Call them after you start Medusa. Tell them what's happened, and give them the option of going underground. The exact instructions are in the safe at Raven's." She walked toward the penthouse.

Mackie called out after her, "Do you think he's telling the truth about Priss?"

Sylia stopped and looked at him. "I believe him," she said simply, then went inside the penthouse. He didn't hear her say, "Because I have no other choice in the matter."

**********

Warehouse #41526584
District 4
MegaTokyo, Japan
Saturday, December 22, 2035
9:34am

Priss slowly opened her eyes.

She found herself looking up at a drop ceiling made up of white tiles. Where am I? she thought.In a hospital? That doesn't seem right.

Priss let her eyes wander around the ceiling and noted the room wasn't that large. She moved her head slowly to the right, and found herself looking at a pale yellow wall close enough to touch. Surprised, She tried to move her right arm to touch the wall, but couldn't.Why can't I move my arm?

She lifted her head and looked at where her body told her it was. All she could see was a lump under the green blanket, about where her stomach was. Carefully, she flipped the blanket back with her left hand, and looked at the arm. It had been strapped across her stomach, and was wrapped in a thick looking cast. A broken arm, she thought. At least, I hope that's all it is.

She pulled the blanket back into place, and laid back on the pillow. So, I'm lying on a cot somewhere, she thought. Someone has looked at my injuries, and has tried to make me comfortable. She also realized that someone had stripped the hardsuit and innersuit off her, placed a bandage around her ribs and head, then dressed her in loose fitting robes. How long have I been out?

She thought back, putting together the last several minutes before she'd passed out into some sort of coherent order. She remembered the explosions that had knocked her down, the Boomer that was about to execute her, then the end of the Boomer when Leon -

A soft snore from her left startled her. She looked over and was amazed to see Leon stretched out in a chair next to her cot. His eyes were closed, chin on his chest, hands interlaced across his stomach, and he was snoring softly.

Leon's here? Then I must have been carried off by the Black Knights before the Thor Strike. She reached out with her free arm and poked Leon in the thigh. He shifted slightly, but had no other reaction to the poke. Priss' jaw tightened, and she hit him as hard as she could across the chest. The blow wasn't as strong as she wanted, but it was enough to wake Leon up.

His eyes snapped opened and he snorted. He blinked several times, then stared down at Priss. "You're awake."

Priss opened her mouth to berate him for the obvious, but her throat was dry and scratchy. Instead of a finely tuned insult, all that came out was a croak.

"Here," said Leon, picking up a glass off the side table next to him. "Have some water." He slipped his free hand under her shoulders, and lifted her halfway off the cot. He held the glass at her lips and gently allowed her to drink half the water.

He lowered her back onto the cot, then refilled the glass from a large pitcher. He placed the glass and pitcher back on the table, then looked at her again. "How are you feeling?"

"Like hell," Priss whispered. "How long have I been out?"

He looked at his watch. "About five hours. It's a bit after nine o'clock in the morning."

Priss struggled to rise, but Leon pushed her back down. "Oh, no you don't. You're not going anywhere. Your arm's broken, you have several cracked ribs, and you have a concussion."

She scowled at him, but didn't try to sit up again. "Where am I?" she asked, her voice stronger now.

Leon leaned back in his chair. "In a warehouse the Black Knights are using for their headquarters while they're in MegaTokyo."

"What happened last night?"

"After you fainted?"

"After I passed out."

Leon shrugged. "Not much to tell. Several Black Knights showed up, and bundled the both of us into the chopper fifty seconds before the area was leveled."

"How bad's the damage?"

He shrugged. "Don't expect to use the Coastal Highway for the next year or so. At least six kilometers of the highway, the surrounding land, and any structure within a kilometer of the area is gone. Luckily, the area around the site was businesses and warehousing, so considering the damage, the body count is on the low side."

Before Leon could continue, A door on the other side of the side table opened, and a tall woman with dark hair stuck her head into the room. "Rise and Shine, Rookie!" she called out with a gleeful shout.

"You're too late Jeena," said Leon, stretching. "My alarm clock beat you to it."

Priss backhanded him in the stomach, but she couldn't get the power she wanted behind the blow. It bounced off his torso without any effect. Leon looked at Jeena. "See what I mean?"

Jeena came into the room, and shut the door. Priss noticed the empty right sleeve, and made the connection. "You're Jeena Malso, aren't you?"

"Got it in one, Kid."

Priss glared at her. "I'm not a kid!" she snapped.

Jeena's smile got wider. "I can see why Leon likes you."

That caught Priss by surprise. She looked suspiciously at the woman. "How?"

"Well, you like destroying things, you dislike authority when it gets in your way, and you're almost as stubborn as he is." She motioned toward Leon, who was in the middle of getting out of the chair, and out of Priss' reach. "I can see why you're Leon's girlfriend."

"I AM NOT LEON'S GIRLFRIEND!" shouted Priss, trying to sit up, and failing miserably in the task. Before she could try again, both Leon and Jeena were there, pushing her back down onto the cot. Unable to fight off three arms, Priss settled for giving each of them a glare.

"As I said, Leon," continued Jeena, looking at him. "She's the perfect girlfriend for you. She hot tempered, carries almost as much firepower as you do, and would cheerfully cut your throat if you walked out on her. I'm going to have fun watching the two of you get together."

It was Leon's turn to glare at Jeena. "Has anyone told you to mind your own business?"

"Not in the last ten minutes."

"Are you finished running my love life?"

Jeena shook her head. "Nope, Rookie. Take it from me, she's the best candidate to come down the pike in a long time."

Leon sighed. "In that case, what are you doing here?"

"Well, Breakfast is ready. I thought you and Little Miss Blue Saber here will want some chow. Also, The boss man has called a meeting in about an hour's time. We're included."

Leon nodded. He looked at Priss. "You stay there. Knight One doesn't want the other Black Knights to see you -"

"- And he doesn't want you to see the other Black Knights," finished Jeena. She walked over to the door, and opened it. "I'll leave the two of you alone - for now," she said, wagging a finger at them. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do. Later."

After Jeena closed the door, Priss looked at Leon. "How many people saw me without my helmet last night?"

Leon sat down on the edge of the bed. He looked at the ceiling. "Without your helmet? About half of the Knights, Knight One, myself, Jeena, and the Doctor who treated you. Most of them were busy with other things, so I don't think they'll be able to describe you clearly. How many know your name is Priss Asagiri, and you're a singer? Myself and Jeena. Even the Doctor doesn't know your name."

Priss wasn't aware she was tense until she relaxed. "You don't seem to be surprise to find out I'm a Knight Saber."

He looked at her, his expression unreadable. "I've known for two years about you and the Knight Sabers."

"What?" she hissed, her eyes widening at the statement. "When did you find out?"

"During the DD Battlemover incident. I saw your face after your helmet was damaged."

There was silence for several seconds, neither one of them wanting to say the first words. Finally, Priss whispered, "You knew, and you never said anything to me about it."

Leon shrugged. "It's not the type of thing you can bring up in causal conversation. And before you ask, I haven't told anyone, not even Daley. Your secret's safe with me."

He hesitated for a second, and Priss could see he was struggling with something. She decided to take the lead. "Why didn't you say anything? To me, or anyone else?"

"Because this city needs you and the other Knight Sabers," he said, the words tumbling out quickly. "The ADP can't handle the Boomer rampages, and it's getting worse every day. You and the other Knight Sabers are making a difference, to the ADP officers out on the street and this city's citizens. Over the years, you've saved too many people to count, including myself, Daley, and several dozen ADP officers."

He reached over and placed her free hand in one of his. "I've also come to think of you as a friend. A friend I want to keep around. I didn't tell you about it because I thought you'd avoid me, or worse, never see me again."

Priss looked at him, unable to believe what she just heard. Her own thoughts and feelings, held in check for so long, began a long delayed war inside her. Leon was far from being shy, but had she heard him right? A small sliver of . . . feeling breached her carefully prepared emotional defenses.

"Can you sit me up?" she asked, saying the first clear thing that came into her mind. "I don't want to talk to you lying down."

Leon pulled two more pillows from under the cot, and eased Priss up into a sitting position. He adjusted the new pillows, then eased her back into a reclining position. "Thanks."

"No problem."

She decided to change the subject before the current one went any farther. "I guess I owe you my life."

"I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Like I said, I owed you."

Her eyes narrowed. "What were you doing there anyway?" she asked.

He related the story of his quitting ADP, being found by Jeena, then being recruited by Gregory Mallory.

"Greg Mallory," she said, interrupting his story. "A tall, lean guy, with one green blue eye and one gray eye?"

"Yes. You've met him?"

"Yesterday, at the garage where I get my bike worked on. His mother was an old friend of the guy who runs the garage."

"What do you think of him?"

"I don't know."

There was silence for a minute this time. Both were lost in their own thoughts, neither looking directly at the other. Finally, Leon looked at her. "When this is all over, would you like to go out with me?"

Priss returned his look, half a dozen scathing replies springing to mind, but none of them passed her lips. She shook her head slowly. "I don't think that'll be a good idea."

"Why?"

"Because nearly everyone I get close to, dies." The sliver of feeling was growing, crashing all her other emotions.

Leon nodded. "Your boyfriend in the biker gang."

"There's been others," she replied, her voice choking with emotion. "I don't have many friends, and even fewer who I can call close friends."

"Do you consider me a close friend?"

She nodded slowly, tears forming in her eyes. "Yes I do, dammit! One I don't want to loose!" She suddenly launched herself at him, wrapping her free arm around his neck before he could move. "Hold me," she said in a small voice.

Carefully, he held her. He stroked her hair with gentle strokes, listening to her sobbing softly. Now what? he thought. He hadn't expected this reaction from her. Nearly getting killed last night took more out of her then I thought. I never seen her like this before. Better take it easy.

That got harder to do as he felt her lips on his neck. She stopped sobbing, and pressed herself against him. He disentangled himself from her hold, and gently pushed her away. He looked at her, and winced at the hurt look on her face.

"Is something wrong?" she asked in a small voice.

He nodded. "I don't want you to do something you might regret later. You're tired, injured, and you aren't yourself right now. I think too much of you to risk throwing it away on a moment's whim."

She chuckled softly, wiped the tears from her eyes, and laid back. "I don't believe it," she said, with a small smile. "The great Leon, afraid of me. You've spent the last three years chasing me, and when I finally throw myself into your arms, you back off."

He sighed. "I love you too much to ever risk hurting you. If I allowed you to continue, and you decided later you'd made a mistake, I'm not sure I could live with myself."

"Wait a minute." She looked at him, his words slowing sinking in. "Did you say you love me?"

"I did."

Priss looked at him carefully, watching for any hints he was joking. She didn't see any. "You're serious," she said finally. "You're downright, goddamn serious, aren't you?"

"I am." He stood slowly, his expression unreadable. "I think you should get some sleep now. Or would you want to have breakfast first?"

"Wait a minute!" she yelled angrily, making a grab for his arm. She missed. "I spent half the damn night out looking for you! If you think I'm going to let you walk out of here, after you told me you loved me, you've got another thing coming!"

"I think I should warn you," said Leon quietly, "before you continue your tirade. These walls aren't that thick, and I suspect everyone within ten meters of the door just heard you."

Priss rolled off a long stream of curses that were just as loud. After ten seconds, the door opened and Jeena stuck her head into the room. "Interesting vocabulary," she remarked dryly, interrupting Priss in mid-curse. "There's a dozen people out here taking notes on the structure and content. Which might be fine at any other time, but Mr. Mallory wants to talk to you for a minute, quietly. Can you spare the time?"

Before Priss could reply, Greg Mallory stepped past her into the room. "Stay outside Jeena, and make sure everyone stays away from the room while we're discussing things. Get Nicky to help you."

Jeena nodded and left the room, closing the door behind her. Mallory looked relaxed in a dark, well-tailored suit. "Besides your excellent voice, Miss Asagiri, how are you feeling?"

"I hurt like -" she began, but then realized what he had said. "Wait a minute! How do you know my name?"

Mallory held up a hand. "Before you go jumping all over Mr. McNichol here, he told me nothing about you." He stepped forward, pulled out the chair Leon had been sitting on, reversed it, straddled the seat, and leaned forward on the back of the chair. Leon sat on the end of the bed, and watched.

Priss glared at Mallory while they both made themselves comfortable. "Then who did?" she finally snarled.

"Would you believe Pops?"

Priss tried to outstare Mallory, but didn't succeed. "Pops wouldn't say anything," she said finally.

Mallory shrugged. "Pops didn't say anything of a sensitive nature, but I'm somewhat nosy. After you left the garage, he and I caught up on some old times. In passing, I asked him who you were and he mention your name."

"I see."

"So, out of simple curiosity, I asked several of my people to check you out. One of my people recognized it as belonging to the Queen of the underground music scene here in Tokyo." He saw the expression on her face. "I did this all before last night's fun and games, and I doubt anyone got a real good look at you since then."

He gave Priss a small smile. "You have a loyal following out there in the world. It's a pity no recording label has snatched you up yet."

"They won't touch me," Priss muttered in a low voice, her eyes never leaving Mallory's mismatched eyes. "GENOM has seen to that."

"Figures. GENOM has always had a thin skin on some subjects. Unfortunately, MALCORP doesn't own a recording company, or I'd sign you myself."

"Don't try to humor me," said Priss, "or ever worse, try to patronize me."

"I wouldn't dare," replied Mallory in a flat, cold voice that suddenly reminded Priss of Sylia. His voice lightened again, as if nothing had happened. "The question that I want to talk to you about is what are we going to do with you?"

"You could let me just walk out of here."

"In your condition?" asked Mallory. "Doctor Mayer would have a fit."

"Screw the doctor," growled Priss angrily. "I'm not going to stay here any longer then I have to."

Mallory nodded. "Stubborn, aren't you?"

"Arrogant, aren't you?"

Mallory didn't rise to the bait this time. "I don't think you'll be here too much longer. I've already arranged a meeting with the person behind the Knight Sabers. I suspect you'll be out of here before nightfall." He stood. "Until then, I suggest you get some rest - when things are arranged, I'll have Leon drive you to your comrades. Fair enough?"

Priss blinked twice. "The person behind the Knight Sabers?" she asked woodenly, her mind racing.

Mallory looked at Leon. "Why don't you get Priss some breakfast? She looks like she needs something to eat."

Leon, looking disappointed, nodded slowly, and left the room. Mallory waited until he closed the door before he began to speak again. "Don't bother denying that Sylia Stingray is the one behind the Knight Sabers."

Priss said nothing, and Mallory smiled. "You didn't give anything away. I came to MegaToyko almost sure that Sylia was behind the Knight Sabers, and after last night, I knew she was the one."

"You seem to know a hell of a lot."

"I have to in my position." He stood and walked over to the door. Just before he touched the door handle, he looked at her. "You don't like me, do you?"

"I don't."

"I'm not your enemy, nor are the Black Knights."

"No, you're here after a fourteen-year-old girl who happens to have information that you want."

Priss saw Mallory's hands ball up into fists. She waited for him to explode into anger, but it never came. "That girl," he said slowly, "is my goddaughter. I don't give a damn about what she knows. I want her home, nothing more. If you can't understand that, then I pity you." With that, he walked out of the room, leaving Priss alone in her thoughts.

**********