Bubblegum Crisis Fan Fiction ❯ Black Knights, Steel Hearts ❯ Chapter 27

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
===========================================================
Bubble Gum Crisis is copyrighted by Artmic Inc. and Youmex,
Inc. I am just borrowing the characters for a little while,
and promise not to bend, fold, or staple them - unless I can
come up with a good reason to do so. I can be contacted at the
Email address above. C&C will be accepted, out and out flames
will result in a Boomer or two being sent after you.

Please, enjoy my take on the Bubble Gum Crisis universe.....
========================================================= ==

Chapter 27

Sylia's Apartment
Saturday, December 22, 2035
6:54pm

Sylia stood in her bedroom, looking at herself in the mirror with a critical eye. The dress she'd chosen to wear for tonight was a black, ankle-length, off-the-shoulder design with a modest neckline. Her hair was done up in a simple, yet elegant design. Her makeup was similarly simple, highlighting her features without overdoing it.

Why did I agree to this? she thought. Why did I agree to have dinner with a man I haven't seen in thirteen years, and in GENOM Tower to boot? She couldn't find an answer.

There was a knock at the bedroom door. "Sis?" asked Mackie. "You decent?"

"Come on in."

Mackie opened the door. His eyes widened as he looked at her. "Oh wow," he said

Sylia smiled at him. "I'll take that as a complement," she said dryly. "Is Greg here yet?"

"No."

"How's Priss?"

"Sleeping."

Sylia saw the unease in her brother's eyes. "You still don't trust Greg, do you?"

Mackie managed to look startled for a second, then calmed himself. "I don't."

Sylia nodded. "If it's any comfort, neither do I. Not completely."

"They why are you going?"

"I'm not sure."

Mackie didn't try to hide his expression this time. "Not sure? This isn't like you, Sis."

"I know."

"You're not falling for Greg, are you?"

"I don't know."

Mackie ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm worried about you, Sis. You NEVER do anything without being completely sure about the
consequences."

"I know." She stopped, her thoughts uncertain. She looked into the mirror again.

Just then, there was a buzz from the security panel, indicating there was someone at the private entrance at the street level. Mackie glanced in the direction of the panel, his own expression uncertain. "If that's Greg, should I let him in?"

"Yes."

Mackie left, shaking his head slowly. Sylia could hear him walk over to the panel, but not what he said into the speaker. She frowned, looking for something out of place, or just plain wrong in her reflection, but she couldn't find anything. Why are you doing this? she asked herself. Tell him you're sick, or you've changed your mind, or something -

Or what? asked another part of her mind, a part that she rarely heard from. Are you scared that you're falling for Greg?

There. She had finally said it. She replayed the afternoon's conversation in her mind, looking for something to either prove or disprove the question. She knew he'd found her attractive, but did how she find him? No answer came, and that worried her.

"Sis?"

Sylia blinked. She turned slowly to look at Mackie. "I-I'm all right," she said slowly, hoping she wasn't transparent with the lie.

If Mackie saw through the falsehood, he didn't show it. "That was Greg Mallory. He's on his way up."

"Thank you. I'll be out in a minute."

Mackie turned and closed the door behind him. Sylia continued to stare at her reflection.

**********

Ri-san Bar
District 6
Saturday, December 22, 2035
7:04pm

The bar was packed when Leon and Jeena entered. The noise level was muted, mostly voices with music. The smoke was thick and cloying, drifting slowly in the slight breeze that came in with the pair of ex-ADP officers. They got a few hostile glares, but no one challenged them openly.

Jeena looked around, her expression one of amusement. "I see Skeeter hasn't change the decor since the last time I was here."

"He prefers to spend money on other things," said Leon. He spotted the large form of Skeeter sitting at a table in the corner. There was no one else standing or sitting near the table. Leon tapped his partner on the shoulder, and pointed in Skeeter's direction.

Without another word, the two walked towards Skeeter's table, threading their way through the crowd. The stares they got were still hostile, but no one challenged them until they reached Skeeter's table.

As they made their way clear of the patrons, a short, dirty, rat-faced man with lanky dark hair stepped in front of Leon and Jeena two meters from the table. "What do you want, ADP man?" he hissed at Leon, his voice sounding like an out-of-tune penny whistle.

"Nice to see you again, Rodent," said Jeena calmly. "How's the sewers treating you?"

"One Arm," Rodent hissed at her, his leer unmistakable. "Still looking for a good man?"

The look she gave him in return was cold. "You know I don't date outside my species."

"That's not what I've heard."

"Rodent," said Skeeter, his voice low and hard. "They are my guests, here at my invitation. Leave us alone."

"Yes, Mister Skeeter." Rodent managed to look fearful before he scampered off into the crowd, the snarls and cures from the patrons
marking his trail.

Leon shook his head. He walked over and sat down in the chair across from Skeeter. Jeena followed suit, sitting on Leon's left and
placing her chair so she could see the rest of the crowd. Skeeter leaned forward and looked at them.

"Do you really have to deal with Rodent?" asked Leon in a resigned tone. "I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him."

Skeeter shrugged. "He and his people do have their uses. No one knows the sewer system as well as they do, and occasionally they find
something I can use. Despite his appearances, he's a rather mild sort of fellow."

"Except for the bathing department," replied Jeena, waving a hand in front of her face. "Couldn't you have hosed him down before you let
him in?"

"He was doing something important for me, something that you might need to know."

"Spill it," said Leon. "What do you have?"

"One of my people overheard a part of a conversation that indicates Gulf and Bradley Japan is desperately looking for a specialist in Blood disorders. The story goes that one of the senior management's children had an accident and has lost a lot of blood. To complicate matters,
the girl has an abnormal Hemoglobin condition, so she can't receive a regular blood transfusion. My source also said she was supposedly too
weak to move to the hospital."

Leon glanced at Jeena. She nodded, pulled out a cell phone, and dialed a phone number. She turned away, allowing Leon and Skeeter to
continue talking.

"How certain are you of your source?"

Skeeter managed to looked pained. "He's one of my people, Leon. I trust him the same way you trust Jeena or Daley."

"Fair enough. But what does Rodent have to do with this?"

"Janie can only be in one of three places: The G and B main office building, the G and B Northshore Medical Research Complex, or the Tamahomi Recreation compound over in District 9. They are the only three places in the city Gulf and Bradley - Japan that has medical facilities advanced enough to take care of such a patient."

Leon nodded. "But those places are fortresses."

"Exactly. Rodent was investigating underground routes, in case they are needed."

Jeena turned back to the table, her face grim. "I talked to Mr. Mallory. He confirms that Janie has such a blood disorder."

Leon closed his eyes. "How's he taking it?"

"I just hope Quincy doesn't say anything to set him off. Our boss is VERY angry right now. We're to scoot back to base and prep
the other for major action. You know what will happen if Janie dies...."

"The war between MALCORP and Gulf & Bradley will spill out into the street," finished Leon, his own expression one of distaste.
He looked at the giant. "Did Rodent's people find a way into those three complexes?"

Skeeter face tightened slightly, but he still kept his impassive expression firmly in place. "For the medical research and recreation complexes, no problem. Rodent found a couple of ways in. But the Headquarters building is a no-go, underground. They've got the place wired with alarms and other less friendly devices. I have each location under surveillance, but there's nothing to report yet."

Leon stood up. "Has Daley come by yet?"

"No. Word on the street he's under the gun with that fool of an ADP chief over that disaster last night."

"Call him and ask for a meet. Tell him everything you know about this situation and tell him to put all TAC teams on alert."

"You want me to tell him everything?"

Leon nodded. "If I know Mr. Mallory, the shit's going to hit the fan tonight, and in a big way. Tell Daley that Gulf and Bradley -
Japan is behind the attack on the Costal Highway."

"What about proof?"

Jeena cut in. "We'll make sure there's enough undamaged proof lying around to convict the people behind Gulf and Bradley's actions
in this situation."

"What about MALCORP's involvement?"

"MALCORP had nothing to do with the destruction of the highway."

"I'll take your word for it," replied Skeeter dryly.

"Keep me updated on Rodent's progress on those sewer tunnels. We may need a back door into these places."

"Considered it done." Skeeter shook his head slowly. "Where do they find idiots like The ADP chief? Chief Todo was a pain in the neck,
but at least I could respect him. Can't you loose him?"

"No can do. One, I don't work for him, or the ADP, anymore. Two, if we - er, they got rid of him, the powers-that-be would bring in a
bigger idiot who Daley will have to learn to work around all over again. This way, Daley's stuck with the devil he knows."

"I see." Skeeter leaned back in his chair and looked at them. "I wish you luck. It sounds like you need it."

"Thanks," replied Jeena as she stood up. "Try and keep your carcass intact, OK? Good Underworld connections are hard to come by
these days."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Be careful, Skeeter," said Leon, adjusting his jacket and looking around. "No telling what would happen if the Bradley twins
found out you help me."

"You worry about the kid, I'm big enough to take care of myself."

**********

Research lab G-46
Saaturday, December 22, 2035
7:06pm

Mclaren wiped his forehead with a sweat-stained rag and stepped away from the table. "Activate primary power systems."

The Tech standing pressed several buttons on the console, and started at the controls. "Power levels at twenty percent and rising,"
he said, not looking up.

The scientist nodded. "Keep the power build steady at four hundred." He looked at the other tech in the room. "How many does this make?"

"Eight. Phil has the last four in Lab three."

Mclaren looked at the Boomer lying on the table. There were several power cords snaking from portals in the machine's chest and legs, making it look like a scene from a horror movie.

"You two stay here," he said. "I'm going to see how Jiro's doing with those new shield modules. If you need me before this one's ready,
I'll be in Lab six."

Mclaren strode out of the lab, and strode down the corridor, his face showing nothing of his anger. Damm Bradley and his plans! he
thought savagely. I thought he was mad before, but this-

He cut off the angry thought and strode into Lab six. Jiro Kurokawa, Mclaren's top Boomer tech, was leaning over a counter, staring at something through a set of magnifiers. He glanced up as Mclaren approached. "How's it going?" he asked in heavily accented English.

Kurokawa was the closest thing to a friend Mclaren had in the complex. A quiet perfectionist, Kurokawa had quickly established himself as an important member of this underground team. He would also listen to Mclaren tirades and design ideas, then suggest a workable solution. Part of Mclaren suspected Kurokawa of being a plant by Bradley to spy on him. But most of the time, Mclaren didn't give a damm -- Kurokawa was an asset, and Carlton Bradley already knew how Mclaren felt about the CEO of G&B-Japan.

Mclaren stopped several feet short of the smaller man. Before prison, he would have been condescending and arrogant to this man.
That attitude of superiority hadn't lasted long in the prison wings. "Seven are up and functioning, while number eight is at stage two revival right now. How are the modules coming along?"

Kurokawa exhaled deeply. "Not as fast as your Boomer revivals. I have five completed and ready to install in the Boomers. I can have
three more ready by the deadline, but the parts for this module design aren't that readily available."

"Get as many as you can get done before the deadline. We'll use the older modules in the other Boomers."

"That's going to cut down their efficiency."

"I know, but Bradley's breathing fire on this one."

"That bad?"

"That bad." Mclaren frowned. "Bradley told me he'd kill me himself if these Boomers weren't ready by the deadline. And that was before he got a phone call that really pissed him off."

"I see your point." Kurokawa motioned to several cubes sitting on the counter. "They're ready to go. It shouldn't take more then ten
minutes each to install them."

"Fine. I'll send Phil over to pick them up."

Kurokawa lifted the magnifiers off his face and placed them high on his forehead. "You're worried about what Bradley is planning."

"Damm right I am," replied Mclaren, thrusting his hands deep into his lab coat. "When I first met Carlton Bradley, I figured he was just
like his father. Arrogant, egotistical, ruthless, but smart enough to know when to back off."

Kurokawa nodded. "I noticed that neither Carlton nor Cora is the shy retiring type."

"Look at what we're doing here! Our group is hot wiring Boomers for mass destruction, and I'm damm certain he's declared war on
somebody."

"War? Against who?"

Mclaren shrugged, "I don't know. Another Megacorp maybe? Or the Government. Hell, maybe against GENOM itself. I have no idea,
and I'm not sure I want to know -- I just might end up dead."

"Your point is taken, sir," said Kurokawa. "What about ideas WHY our leader is pursuing this dangerous course of action."

"This," Mclaren waved at the shield components, "came from somewhere, and I'll bet you two months' salary that Bradley's R and D had nothing to do with this design."

"No bet." The Boomer tech thought for a moment. "Do you think this shield design has something to do with our orders for tonight?"

"I gave up believing in coincidences about the time they tossed me in jail. Hell, yes, that shielding design is the prize. You, me, and the
rest of the team are standing at ground zero on this one when and if Bradley's opponents show up to retrieve the designs."

"The Knight Sabers maybe?"

"I hope to God not. Meeting them once was more then enough." Mclaren glanced at his watch. "It's getting late. I'd better get back to supervising the Boomer reactivations. I can pull Yates and Benton off the reactivations, if you need them."

"I'll take Yates, You can hang onto Benton."

"I'll have him here in five minutes."

Kurokawa nodded. "That is good. With his help, I may be able to build another advanced shield generator before the deadline."

"Excellent." Mclaren walked out of the lab.

Kurokawa finished the circuit he was installing, then sighed deeply. He walked over to a computer that had the new shield design displayed on its screen. "And how many more deaths will you cause before you start saving them?" he softly asked the designs on the screen.

**********