Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ BGC 2055: Megatokyo Burning ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bubblegum Crisis 2055: Megatokyo Burning

Ignition: Three

KA-THOOM!

The small private plane wobbled in the air, drifting, then it suddenly crashed down into a deserted road on it's approach to the Megatokyo airport. The fireball rapidly consumed both the plane and all of it's passengers, the flames rising higher and higher. It had been chartered for the group of old friends, five schoolmates and their friends from over 50 years ago out on some impulsive reunion. The fire burned hot, consuming the wreckage until the only way to identify the inhabitants would be through the tiny traces of organic material that remained.

"All right Rei," the blonde said softly as the group watched the flames from the shadows of a nearby rooftop, "I think that's enough."

"Thanks, Minako," and with that Rei Hino stopped her chanting, the raven haired young woman letting her hands drop down to her sides. She looked over at Ami and quietly asked, "Do you think that will fool everyone?"

The blue haired lady pushed her glasses up, reaching out to take Rei's hand in her own. "I think so," Ami said, "the accident was faked perfectly and the blood we all donated will provide DNA for testing." With a soft sigh she concluded, "The world will believe we're all dead."

Usagi looked out at the dying flames mournfully, her long blonde hair tied back in a very atypical braid. "It's going to take awhile to get used to new names and identities," she smiled wryly, "even though we all know it was about time."

Mamoru put his arm around her shoulders, gently drawing her close. "Does Naru know about what we're doing?" the black haired man asked.

A tear glistened on Usagi's cheek, "Of course I told her. I couldn't simply drop out of sight without at least saying good-bye to my best friend."

"I think I'll miss her too," Mamoru admitted, knowing that faking their deaths meant they were going to have to avoid most of their past contacts. He quietly said, "Considering how old we were supposed to be, it's a bit of a relief."

"More than you know," Makoto agreed bleakly, the brown haired amazon standing slightly apart from the others.

"Poor kid," Natsuna Sakurada sadly commented, the much older woman moving up to stand by Minako's side. Once red hair was now nearly all gray, but a combination of magic and good genes kept her vigorous and full of life.

"Thank you for doing this with us," Minako leaning up against her lover, "I know it was a sacrifice for you."

The older woman hugged Minako close to her gently, a slight smile on her face. "I won't be parted from you, love," Natsuna said softly, "not ever."

Makoto watch them with eyes haunted by pain, remembering her own lost love. "So," Makoto smiled grimly, "what are we going to do now?"

"I think that's my cue," Setsuna Meiou emerged from the shadows, her mane of black hair flowing down her back as she said, "I've made the arrangements as we discussed, Ami."

"Then let's get going," Ami said as they followed her off the roof.

The trip to the old Shinjuku district of Tokyo was a quiet one, only the occasional words passing between them. Weaving through traffic expertly Setsuna kept her silence, letting those in the back slowly come to accept their new situation. They finally pulled in front of an older apartment building, one that was familiar to all of them.

"Didn't Juri used to live here?" Rei blinked, remembering back when they had chipped in to help with the moving party.

"She bought it," Setsuna had pride in her voice as she continued, "Juri owns it through a couple of shell companies, so it can't be traced back to her." From her pocket she removed sets of keys and added, "You're welcome to stay as long as you need."

"I hope everyone doesn't mind," Ami said from where she stood nearby Rei, "but when I started discussing faking our deaths with Setsuna she suggested this."

"Thank you," Usagi stepped forward to hug Setsuna, smiling warmly. Her eyes twinkled as she added, "Maybe I'll try using the disguise pen to get Mamoru into the Locket again."

Natsuna snickered, "I'll look forward to seeing that."

Mamoru tried to look dignified, but it was hard to manage as Usagi giggled softly. Setsuna lead the seven of them inside, passing out keys and directing them to their rooms. After some polite talk she left them to settle in, probably going home to her waiting lover.

"It's a lovely room," Natsuna commented as she sat down on the edge of the bed, watching her lover pacing restlessly.

"You should tell them," Minako said as she opened the curtains, looking out at the lights of what was now part of Megatokyo.

Natsuna got up stiffly, moving to wrap her arms around her lover from behind. "Ami knows, of course," she said softly, "but there's nothing the others could do."

Minako shook her head, a few tears sliding down her cheeks as she said, "But Usagi or Hotaru could try to heal you...."

Natsuna squeezed slightly, then eased off. "And at best give me a few more years," she said softly into Minako's ear. She tilted her lover's face up and added, "And to become immortal has a cost that's far too high for me, m'love."

"I know," Minako sighed.

They knew immortality would come to humanity in time, but Setsuna had revealed that it was many centuries away. Worse, the methods that they had available now to extend life would slowly change the individual, eventually transforming them into something... other than human.

"I heard from a student recently," Natsuna said with a false sort of casualness as she stepped back, "from back when I was teaching at the police academy."

"Oh?" Minako made herself pick up the bait, knowing it would make Natsuna happy.

"She heard about my past connection to the adventurer Sailor V," Natsuna drawled, "and was wondering if she could help out in a case involving corporate espionage." With that Natsuna quietly sketched in the details of the recent robberies, the top secret items that were stolen from more than one Boomer manufacturer and designer.

Minako stood there silently for a moment, but Natsuna could tell that she was interested. Finally, "Would you mind if I went out for a few hours?"

"I'll be waiting for you," Natsuna said gently.

Minako walked over to kiss her lover lingeringly, then she walked towards the window. As she took a step she shifted, casual clothes becoming the sailor fuku that she wore as a uniform. Sailor Venus offered her a smile as she said, "I'll be back as soon as I can."

With that she was out the window and gone, free-falling from the upper story to land on a nearby roof. Trails of tears glistening on her cheeks Venus let herself cry, glad that her lover couldn't see her doing it. The night sounds washed over her as she bounded between advanced buildings and older structures, eventually reaching an industrial section.

The Re-genex facility was still roped off by security tape, even though Boomers and others moved across the property making needed repairs. The point where the armored suits had broken in was still a gaping hole, but around the structure other repairs were being efficiently made. Still, much of the security was partially or completely off-line, making it easy for Sailor Venus to slip inside.

She evaded all the cameras and security with the ease of long practice, finding the ruptured storage vault with relative ease. Sailor Venus studied the compartments, noting the name Ayanami with a mild sort of alarm, remembering the mysterious EVA pilot from over twenty years ago.

Quietly Venus slipped away, soon standing on a nearby building as she took a moment to considered the situation. Rei 'Ayanami was supposed to be part alien,' she remembered, 'and disappeared along with Asuka Soryu shortly after NERV was dissolved.' She frowned, 'So why is a major Boomer design company interested in her?'

Moving off Sailor Venus headed to her next stop, bounding across the city as she made her way to the Bioware facility. Supposedly they were the major competitor of Re-genex, and therefore had the most to gain from a attack or sabotage at Bioware.

Breaking in was more difficult here, but Sailor Venus had some advantages that a normal cat-burglar wouldn't. People moved in and out of the corporate tower and soon Venus had a target, using her disguise mirror to copy that person perfectly. Wearing another face and a confident manner Venus strode by the security office then made her way inside, navigating the halls carefully.

From the same pocket that she normally concealed her transformation wand and other magical artifacts Venus took a small computer out, plugging in to an available terminal. While not anywhere near the sort of hacker that Mercury was she did know enough to search a system from the inside, more or less.

The name 'Ayanami' brought up several hits, all of which she downloaded, then Venus sent out feelers about Re-genex. The system coughed up the files reluctantly, asking for clearances that she quickly worked her way around. Satisfied that she had enough information to begin her work she detached the computer, stowing it away carefully.

Venus turned to go, striding away when she heard.... a gunshot. She froze there, hesitating a second, then with a curse ran back towards the direction the shot came from. She found a open office door, running inside only to freeze.

The young woman lay on the ground in a slowly growing pool of red, her grayish brown braid curled up beside her face. "Hold on," Venus picked her up, careful of the woman's chest wound and ran, knowing that whoever had shot her was probably still in the building.

To be continued....