Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ BGC 2055: Megatokyo Burning ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Bubblegum Crisis 2055: Megatokyo Burning
Inferno Five

In the city of Megatokyo, madness and chaos ruled, but there were still those that fought valiantly against it’s reign. Guns blazing AD Police forces fought to drive back the rabid boomers, the inhumanly strong creations of men slaughtering indiscriminately across the city, attacking in incredible numbers.

“Dead Scream!” Sailor Pluto cried, the green and white clad sailor soldier cried, her staff blazing as she blasted another boomer to ash as she and the others valiantly tried to hold the line.

“There’s no end to them,” Saionji cried, the green haired former duelist fighting bravely by her side.

Suddenly there was a blast of golden light and Sailor Moon swept the mob with her scepter’s attack, but more and more boomers raced forward to almost instantly fill up the space she cut into their ranks. “Give me a moment,” Sailor Moon leaned on Utena’s arm tiredly as she continued, “and I’ll try again.”

Breaking out of a alley congested with boomers a band of survivors raced for the safety of their defensive line, lead by two very similar yet different figures. Mamoru, in his prince incarnation, slashed and ripped through their foes as Anthy struck with her roses and swift blows and the green Knight Saber used her cables and fists to splatter boomers, eventually crossing the line to safety.

“Any luck?” Sailor Uranus asked, the sandy blonde haired woman using her Star Sword to devastating effect against their seemingly endless foes.

“There may be no more survivors out there,” Mamoru reported grimly, “thank god we got most of the people we saved out of the city.”

“You all right?” Sylia Stingray asked, the helm of her Knight Saber armor sitting beside her as she worked to repair Priss’ arm cannon.

“It’s terrible out there,” Linna murmured, “the boomers... they’ve destroyed everything.”

“Not everything,” Skuld answered, the black haired younger woman still wearing the pink hardsuit, “we’re alive, and we’re saving lives. That is what’s important.”

“True,” Priss nodded. She looked over at the still busily working Sylia, “Why did you take off your helmet, by the way?”

Sylia smiled slightly, her silvery hair gleaming. “If we lose, it won’t matter,” she noted, “and if we win, I deal with it then.”

Hefting a impressive rifle a young woman stood with a band of AD police officers, offering supportive fire against the horde. “Thanks for letting me join you,” Yohko said, hefting the massive rifle with surprising ease.

“We need all the help we can get,” Nene Romanova said bleakly, the smaller woman’s eyes grim and strangely dead.

Helping bandage a nearby officer’s severed leg Sailor Mercury looked up to meet Nene’s eyes. “We don’t know if they were hurt,” the blue haired woman reminded her, “Mackie and the others may still be all right out there.”

“I hope so,” Nene murmured....

...right before the whole city seemed to shake, what almost felt like a tremor moving through the Earth. “Is it a ‘quake?” Sailor Mars demanded, the raven haired woman burning a boomer with a wave of her hand.

“Can’t be,” Sailor Mercury activated her visor and began scanning their surroundings, “Megatokyo was built to absorb and resist them.” She paused, digesting the reading then burst out, “They did it!”

“Did what?” Touga Kiryuu demanded, his long red hair a mess and the sword he carried dripping with boomer blood.

With a rumble the outside of a nearby office tower peeled back, revealing a older but still useable weapons emplacement. Metal ground on metal as it turned, energy building within it, them with a roar it spat out a blast of energy right into one of the masses of rioting boomers, destroying them and much of the street in the process.

“Holy....” a younger AD police officer breathed out as more explosions began to ring out across the city, lighting up the smokey air.

“The old city defense systems from back when NERV was based here,” Sylia said, her eye flashing, “Mackie and the others must have reactivated them!”

Cutting down any boomers that reached their lines the survivors watched in awe as the heavy weapons of nearly forty years ago did their deadly work, gutting the heart out of the massive boomer onslaught. From millions of boomers their numbers dropped more and more, until finally only thousands remained.

“I think the guns have hit their limit,” Utena said as the weapons across the city began to shut down, the pink haired woman standing ready with sword in hand.

“They’ve cut the odds from impossible to merely extremely difficult,” Sylia noted as she pulled her helm back on and readied for battle once more.

“All right everyone,” Sailor Moon met her friends and comrades eyes, “let’s take back our city.”

“YEAH!” the crowd of police, mercenaries and heroes cried, following their three leaders back into the fray once more.

“Nene,” Priss paused to ask, “what’s wrong?”

Nene hefted her rifle, firing into a boomer and turning it into so much pulp. “We still haven’t heard from Mackie,” she said flatly.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A few minutes before, Lisa Valente knelt at Mackie Stingray’s side, studying the young man in concern as he clutched at the control panel, his every muscle taught and veins bulging. “You’ve got to pull out,” she said, eyes narrowed in fear.

“What is he....?” Minagi murmured, the light blue women studying the man who had bodily plugged himself into the computer system.

“He’s plugged himself into the system to replace the computer core,” Sailor Venus said, the blonde soldier focused more on her captives than the struggling man.

“Ngh... weapons A-5 activate... capture system G-12, deploy,” Mackie muttered feverishly, “no Sylia, not there....”

The Bioware officer who’s name tag read smith spoke softly to his fellow captive, “We’ve got to make a break for it.”

“Are you insane?” his fellow captive hissed, his own name tag reading Jones.

“They’re as distracted as they’re going to get,” Smith answered, “and I don’t want to be around if they do stop the boomers. You know we’ll have to take the fall.”

Jones’ shoulders slumped a bit as the dark haired man conceded, “I know.” He warily studied their captors, noting a very distressing cry from the boy had distracted them, “On three?”

“One... two,” Smith tensed, “three!”

Both men leapt up, Smith leaping for where his gun rested on a counter nearby even as Jones raced for the door. “Leave it damn it,” Jones paused to yell, a grave mistake.

Minagi flickered out, disappearing, then reappeared on top of him, swinging her energy blade in a deadly arc. With a sizzling noise it cleaved through flesh and bone then with a oddly peaceful sigh Jones collapsed to the floor.

“Look out,” Sailor Venus yelled, trying to put herself in the way of the pistol, cursing herself for not destroying it earlier.

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

The first bullet splattered the Ayanami close, sending it’s head splashing against the wall it had been mindlessly resting against. The second hit the technician Reed, a bullet punching into his chest in a splash of red. And the final bullet stabbed into Mackie Stingray, sending the man convulsing on top of the control panel.

“No!” Lisa screamed.

“VENUS CRESCENT BEAM SMASH!” Sailor Venus cried, firing a energy bolt through Smith;’s head and sending his corpse crashing into the ground.

“Mackie,” Minagi teleported to the young man’s side, her eyes racing over him as she took in the damage.

“Don’t... unplug me,” Mackie groaned, blood welling up from between his lips, “I have to finish this....”

Lisa grabbed him by the arm, “We have to, you’ll bleed to death!”

“What’s happening up there?” Sailor Venus had to ask, reaching out to stop Lisa.

“I only... started the weapons,” Mackie hissed painfully, “there’s still.. Too many boomers there. Need to cut their numbers... or we’ll still be overwhelmed.”

“But...” Lisa started.

Minagi shook her head, “Let him do what he has to.” Her voice firmed as she said, “I’ll do everything I can to save him.”

Long minutes dragged out as Mackie fought with the computer system, laboriously bringing weapon systems on line, destroying boomers by the thousands in the city above them. Finally he seemed to relax, slumping against the console even as he stopped breathing.

“No,” Sailor Venus made a choking sound as she pulled him away from the computer to reveal the bloody chest wound he had concealed from them as he worked. She looked up at minagi as she yanked the connections free, “Minagi....”

“I’m gone,” Minagi grabbed him then lifted off, soaring out of the control room then ghosting through the roof, her precious cargo in her arms.

“Will he....?” Lisa trailed off.

“She’ll take him to Washu,” Sailor Venus said quietly as they stood in the blood splattered control room, “if there’s a way to save him, she’ll find it.”

To be continued....