Buffy The Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ A Hunter's Nephew ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them. Anyone want to sell me the boys?
Sorry to anyone who has been waiting anxiously for this chapter but we had issues with our phone company where they disconnected both the phone and internet. Needless to say we are now with a new company.
Thank you for the many reviews for ch3.
 
Chapter 4
 
Xander watched from where he was crouched on a roof as two vampires dragged a struggling teenaged girl towards another warehouse. Even with Bobby's help it had taken another three days to narrow down the area where the nest was hiding and now he knew exactly where. As soon as they were inside he climbed down the fire escape and then dropped the remaining few feet to the ground, landing in a crouch. A quick check of his supplies and he was ready and very thankful they were his kind of vampire. The only problem was he'd have rather waited till daylight so they'd all be trapped and he could use the sunlight to his advantage by breaking the windows and leaving the door open. But they had a victim and he couldn't just leave her to die.
 
He crept to the side of the building the vampires had entered and peered into the window he found. He snarled under his breath as he saw the teenagers strung up in the middle of the room like a buffet. At least two were already dead but the rest had a chance. Though twenty to one odds were not something he liked. He grinned as he noticed moonlight was spilling down onto the teens and began looking for a way onto the roof.
 
Vampires screamed and scattered, looking around wildly for the attacker as they began to dust. Not one thought to look up but if they had they would have seen a figure in black crouched with a self loading crossbow in his hands. Once he'd used the last bolt he judged the distance, tapped the hyena and simply dropped through the hole, rolling to absorb the impact. The remaining vampires stared in shock as the black clad figure rose to his feet and drew a battle axe from his back.
 
“Ready?” A youngish voice asked and they charged him.
 
Xander looked around at his handiwork and smiled slightly, thanks to the old skylight that had been missing its glass he'd managed to take out one of the largest nests he had ever faced with only a few scrapes and bruises, not a bad nights work. He quickly picked up the few bolts that hadn't dusted along with the vampire they had impaled and then left the building, heading for the payphone he'd spotted on his way in to make an anonymous call to 911. He waited in the shadows until the first emergency vehicles began converging on the warehouse before heading back to his hotel. There was nothing in the warehouse that could lead back to him and the still living teens had remained unconscious during the fight.
 
-----------------------------
Xander stopped and then turned back watching the strangely familiar figure for a bit before grinning.
 
“Hey Wesley.” The Watcher spun around and stared at him in shock. Xander walked over to him and held his hand out. Wesley snapped out of his shock and they shook hands.
“What are you doing in New York?”
 
“Nothing much Mr. Harris, just looking for information. And yourself?”
“Great American road trip. I'm trying to see all the states, well the ones that are part of the mainland. Don't think I'll make Hawaii no matter how nice the ads make it sound. So what have you been doing since graduation?”
 
“Not a lot unfortunately seeing as the Council fired me for my failure in Sunnydale.” Wesley shifted uncomfortably as he admitted that and Xander shook his head.
 
“We made your time there pretty miserable. You were there to replace the one man we all looked up to so we set out to make your life hell. It wasn't your fault.” Wesley shot him a surprised look at that admittance.
 
“Faith was still my responsibility. I should have been able to see what was happening and stopped it.” Wesley countered as they started walking together.
 
“Stop beating yourself up about it. We all should have seen it. When I did I tried to talk to her but...” Xander put a hand to his throat and shrugged.
“So, you hunting at all?”
 
“A little, the occasional fledgling here and there.” Wesley admitted uncomfortably.
 
“Did you know there is another type of vampire out there that isn't affected by holy icons?” Xander asked curiously.
 
“Yes, they are considered a sub-species and are extinct. The Council is aware of them.”
 
“Almost extinct actually, ran into some hunters who have faced them.”
 
“You've been hunting then?” Wesley was curious; he hadn't thought Xander could hunt alone.
 
“When I run into something. Took out a nest in Fredericktown Missouri, a few demons here and there.” Wesley stared at him in disbelief.
 
“I'd heard about that nest and that it suddenly vanished, leaving behind some living victims.”
 
“Good that means I wasn't seen.” Xander grinned in relief.
 
“You did that alone!” Wesley honestly couldn't believe it, Xander was the `donut boy' of the group, how could he have taken out a nest of that size?
 
“Just like I planned graduation and did a whole lot of other stuff the gang never saw. I'm not the Zeppo you guys thought.”
 
“I am sorry for that. You are hardly the first `normal' person to hunt and we should not have disregarded you like that when it came to fighting.”
 
“Don't worry about it Wes, you were new and took your cues from the others. That's part of the reason I'm not sure if I'm going back or not. Maybe I'll settle somewhere new and hunt from there.”
 
“Why do you hunt if you don't mind me asking?” Xander could tell Wesley was genuinely interested but he stayed silent as Wesley unlocked his hotel door.
 
“You know about the Harvest?” Xander waited until Wesley nodded.
“I staked my first vampire during it. His name was Jesse McNally and he was my best friend. People had disappeared my whole life and I never knew why and then suddenly I did and I couldn't just sit back and let it happen without trying to help. I guess it's partly revenge for Jesse but I also want to protect people, so they don't have to bury a loved one or learn what's really out there. Besides it turns out hunting runs in the family. My uncle's been doing it for years. He's who I learned about the other type of vampires from. You should see all the books he has, you and Giles would love them. In fact...” Xander dug through his pocket and dug out a piece of paper, writing something on it before handing it to Wesley.
“If you're going to keep hunting it's always good to have contact with others in the business. Just tell him I sent you and he'll help.” Wesley looked down at the piece of paper where Xander had written Singer Salvage and a phone number.
“Uncle Bobby's a good guy and he really knows his stuff.”
 
“Thank you.” Wesley smiled at the teenager and then dug through one of his bags for a business card. Flipping it over he wrote his own number on the back before handing it over.
“The information on the front is a local Council contact who will deal with other hunters and my number is on the back.
 
“Thanks. I better get going. Any idea where you're headed next?” Xander slipped the card into his wallet.
 
“No idea.” Wesley confessed.
 
“Angel was headed to LA if you want to head that way. He could probably use a Watcher and I know a lot of people would feel better if someone kept an eye on him and that pesky soul of his.” Xander grinned and Wesley laughed.
 
“I might just do that. Stay safe Xander.”
 
“You too Wes.”
 
-----------------------------------
Sam paused in emptying the pockets of the jeans he was holding as he pulled out a card. It was his turn to take care of their laundry and he didn't mind since it helped keep his mind off what had happened a few weeks ago. He flipped the card over and read the unfamiliar script.
 
Sam,
In case you need to talk to someone who has an idea what you're going through.
Xander
 
He stared at the phone number in surprise. When had Xander managed to slip it into his pocket without him noticing? He'd been thinking about the teen a bit since they'd left Bobby's and he knew he owed him a lot. Xander had stopped him from hurting Dean and had freed him from Meg plus the younger male had been possessed twice before even if it hadn't been by a demon he had still had no control over his actions. Maybe he could help?
 
Sam quickly finished putting their wash on and then slipped outside, pulling his phone out. He knew Dean was out at a bar hustling so he was safe to call without him knowing. And he didn't want Dean to know he was going to someone else for help with the nightmares. Dean had been great about trying to help him, actually letting him cry on him that night a few weeks ago and for once allowing him talk when he needed to instead of saying no chick flicks. But Dean had never been possessed, he didn't know what it was like to watch as your hands pulled the trigger on a gun pointed at your brother and being unable to stop it no matter how hard you tried. So he sat against the wall and dialled the number.
 
“Lo?” Sam winced as the groggy voice picked up on the fifth ring.
 
“Xander? It's Sam Winchester. I didn't mean to wake you, I'll call back later.” He hadn't even thought that the teen might be asleep, most hunters were fairly nocturnal.
 
“Sam? It's great to hear from you.” Sam could almost hear the smile in his voice as Xander woke up fully.
“Don't worry about it; my alarm was going to go off soon anyway. So what's the what? I see you got my note.” He could hear sheets being moved as Xander probably sat up.
 
“I was doing the washing, good thing I thought to check the pockets. I...” Sam trailed off, not sure how to ask.
 
“Still having nightmares?” Xander asked gently.
 
“Yes. Dean's been great about it but he doesn't...” Sam hit his head against the wall behind him. Why couldn't he explain?
 
“Dean doesn't understand what you're going through no matter how he tries. He doesn't know what it's like to be a passenger in your own body, to not even be able to blink if you want to.” Sam sighed in relief as Xander hit the nail on the head.
 
“Yeah.” He whispered in answer, glad that someone out there understood.
 
“Nightmares fade eventually Sam. You'll learn to accept the fact that it wasn't you doing those things and slowly the nightmares will lessen as you do. They could also be you trying to remember everything that happened while you were possessed despite the fact you're probably better off not remembering. Despite what everyone but the Watcher thinks I do remember everything that happened during the hyena incident and I could have done without the nightmares of a war that was fought before I was born. I wish I didn't have all those memories but I do so you're lucky. And you have an older brother who would do anything for you to help you through it.”
 
“Are you sure you're still a teenager?” Sam asked and Xander laughed.
 
“This life ages you, as you should know. I doubt you or Dean were the average teenagers either. You can't be when you stare death in the face as often as we do.”
 
“Thanks. I better go. Can I call again?” Sam hesitated to ask but talking to Xander had helped.
 
“Sure thing. Call whenever. Have a good night.”
 
“You too.” Sam ended the call and headed back in to finish the laundry before Dean got back.
 
TBC...