Buffy The Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ A Hunter's Nephew ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
Chapter 5
 
“Can I just say I seriously prefer the Hellmouth type demon to the type you're used to? Yeesh those things are creepy!” Sam couldn't help but chuckle at Xander's comment despite the fact that it was worrying that Xander had run into one.
 
“You're okay though?”
 
“Yeah, other than the whole let's throw Xander through every solid surface we can find. Good thing I heal a bit faster than normal or I'd be needing an ER. My Latin got a good work out too. It was...too late for the person though. From the quick look I got before running at the sound of sirens I'd say the body had taken the fatal wounds a few days ago and it was only the demon that was keeping it going. So how are you and Dean going?”
 
“Good. We have a new hunt lined up and we seem to be heading west mainly for the moment.”
 
“Maybe we'll run into each other at some point. I'm heading back to Uncle Bobby's at the moment then I'm heading west. I figure I've lived in California my whole life but all I've seen of it is Sunnydale and the parts I passed by on the highway to South Dakota. Plus I got some books I'll leave at his place for you. They're Watcher Council guides, thought you might be interested. I've left the New York groups contact info inside since they will deal with non-Council hunters.”
 
“Thanks. Despite Dean's general dislike of books the more information we have the better.”
 
“No problem. I figure the closer ties between groups can only be a good thing. Pooling resources and all that.”
 
“Yeah that's urgh....”
“Sam? Sam you there? SAM!” Xander had to force himself to loosen his grip on his cell phone as Sam screamed though it wasn't into the mouthpiece so he must have dropped his phone.
“Sam can you hear me? Is someone there?” Since Sam had called him he couldn't just hang up and call out to get help for the older man. But he could use the room phone. Unfortunately he didn't know Dean's number but hopefully his Uncle could get onto him real fast. He kept his cell to one ear while he dialled the room phone.
“Pick up, pick up...Uncle Bobby? Call Dean fast. Sam's in their room and he's screaming. He won't answer me when I talk and I think he's dropped his phone.”
 
“Xander?” Bobby stared at the phone as and then quickly dialled Dean's number.
“Get back to the room now. Sam needs you.” He hung up to keep Dean from asking questions and then tried Xander's cell but it came back engaged. Obviously Sam had called him and was unable to end the call.
 
“I swear if someone's there and you're hurting Sam I will tear your freaking head off!” Xander threatened as he listened to Sam panting and making pained noises. But he couldn't hear anyone but Sam in the room.
“Sam come on, please pick the phone up. Come on just let me know you're okay.” To his surprise the sound of jerky movements came through the speaker.
 
“Xander?”
 
“Sam! Are you alright? What happened? I called Bobby and had him call Dean so help should be on the way.” Xander babbled, beyond relieved that Sam sounded at least mostly coherent.
 
“M'okay. Stupid visions.” Xander blinked, Sam got visions? So that could explain the screams of pain. He'd heard that depending on type and source those things could really pack a punch.
 
“They sound extremely painful. Just lay down, Dean will be there soon and he'll take care of you. Are they always that bad?”
 
Sam lay down on the bed as Xander rambled on and then what they were talking about hit him. He'd told a hunter he had visions. Would Xander want to hunt him now like Gordon and them? But Xander wasn't completely normal himself. And hadn't he even said that there were some non-violent demons in Sunnydale? So he knew everything Supernatural wasn't necessarily bad.
 
“Sam? Have you passed out?” He shook his head and smiled slightly, Xander was concerned about him.
 
“No, I'm here. You don't care that I get visions?” He rubbed his forehead trying to relieve the pain.
 
“Hello, hyena boy here. You get visions so what. I've worked with witches, werewolves and even a vampire with a soul. Visions are pretty small fry when you consider all that. And since that sounds like Dean's car in the background I'd better go. Look after yourself Sam.”
 
“Thanks for getting me help. You stay safe.” Sam hung up and put his phone aside. Dean burst through the door, gun drawn, a few seconds later.
 
“Sam?” Dean barked, eyes sweeping the room for threats.
 
“I'm okay. Vision. Think I freaked Bobby out though.” He remembered Xander had said he'd called Bobby who had called Dean and he knew Bobby would back him up if he said it was him he'd been on the phone with when the vision hit since Bobby knew Dean didn't know about him and Xander talking. Dean put his gun away and went to get the painkillers from the first aid kit.
 
“You must have scared him good from the call I got. Here.” Sam gratefully took the pills and smiled at his big brother.
“Get some rest, then you can tell me where we're headed.
 
Xander let his phone drop from his suddenly limp fingers and onto the bed before falling backwards to stare up at the water stained ceiling. He raised a hand and wasn't surprised to find it was shaking, he hadn't been that scared for a while. Hearing Sam screaming in pain and being unable to do anything was not his idea of fun. Looking at it Sam was the only male close to his own age that he could talk freely to and he was coming to rely on that contact, maybe more than he should. But he craved that sort of closeness, something he hadn't had since Jesse. He groaned and rolled over, burying his head in the pillow. It sucked having to hide their friendship but he wouldn't put any strain on Sam's relationship with his brother and Dean just didn't like him all that much. Not that he couldn't see where the older Winchester was coming from, hadn't he once threatened to kill Buffy over Willow's safety? His life was just way to complicated these days.
 
---------------------------------------
“Hey Uncle Bobby!” Bobby lowered the shotgun and waved his nephew inside before handing him a glass of Holy water. The teen rolled his eyes good naturedly before gulping it down.
 
“How have you been kid?” He helped Xander carry his bags up to the guest room.
 
“Good, taking it slow since that demon last week. Finally stopped aching a few days ago. Heard from Sam and Dean since?”
 
“Yeah, they have a hunt in Oregon. Sam's fine before you ask.” Xander shrugged sheepishly.
 
“I like him. He's fun to talk to and he doesn't make me feel dumb. I haven't really had any male friends since Jesse. He really scared me last week Uncle Bobby, I thought something was killing him and I couldn't do anything but listen.”
 
“But you did do something, you called the people you knew could get him help. Apparently Dean knocked the door clean off its hinges to get to him. Do you know what caused it?” Xander looked at the ground and then up at him.
 
“Yeah, do you?” Bobby chuckled at the protectiveness in his nephew's voice. Looked like Sam had gained himself another defender whether he liked it or not.
 
“Those visions hurt from the sound of it.” He smiled as Xander relaxed.
 
“You know he sounded scared I would hate him or something once he realised he'd admitted to having visions? I don't get it we use any help we can get so why would he worry about some psychic gift?”
 
“Because in our circles it could get him killed. You can't tell anyone about Sam's `gift' Xander. Most hunters go after anything that seems supernatural, including humans with abilities. That's why you've got to keep your own abilities quiet too. I don't want to hear some idiot's killed you someday.”
 
“Warning taken. Stupid attitude to have though. Not to mention a good way to push people to working for the other side. Idiots.”
 
“Yeah well. Dinner's in an hour.” Xander nodded and grabbed clean clothes for a shower.
 
-------------------------------------
“Don't forget to give Sam those books next time you see him.” Xander said as he finished stowing his bags.
 
“Will do. You be careful. I don't want to get another call asking me to give you an exorcism while you're fighting the demon you need it for.”
 
“Yes Uncle Bobby.” Xander rolled his eyes but grinned and darted in for a quick hug.
 
“So where you headed?”
 
“Thought I'd head back towards California and then head north to Washington. Play tourist a bit in San Francisco and stuff.”
 
“Well, good luck and keep in touch.” Bobby said gruffly.
 
“I'll even send you postcards. Later Uncle Bobby.” Bobby watched until the car was out of sight before heading back inside to look through the guides his nephew had left behind. He might as well make his own notes from them before passing them on.
 
TBC...