Buffy The Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ A Hunter's Nephew ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
 
Chapter 6
 
Bobby stared at the phone with indecision. He knew Xander would be near if not in San Francisco by now but did he really want to drag his nephew into what was happening? He knew Xander and Sam were talking regularly but to ask him to meet up with the brothers and help them with a case? Despite how much he loved those boys he knew being around them was dangerous.
 
The demon was clearly after Sam and didn't care who it killed to get to him. The last thing Bobby wanted was for Xander to end up like Mary, Jessica or even John. Then again Xander had an advantage over all three of them, he had abilities of his own and he had given the boy one of his anti-possession charms as well. But there was also Dean's dislike of Xander to take into account. Would he even let Xander help then? Though he doubted that would do anything to stop Xander from helping someone in trouble.
 
Groaning he finally made a decision and started dialling. Hopefully Sam would be the voice of reason and stop Dean from aggravating Xander to the point where he decided to let his hyena bite him. No matter how amusing that might be.
 
---------------------------------
Xander parked outside the hotel his uncle had given him directions to and sure enough there was a familiar Impala parked a few spots down from him. He took a deep breath, grabbed his duffle bag and then got out of his car. He hated to admit it but he was nervous about seeing them again.
 
Sure he talked to Sam every few days but he hadn't spoken to Dean since they'd left his uncle's and he knew Sam hadn't told Dean they were talking. So things were bound to get awkward. Bobby had told them he was sending help but not who the help was. Sam had probably guessed but it was Dean's reaction he was worried about. He knew the older Winchester didn't like or trust him but Xander hoped that wouldn't stop Dean from working with him. After all he had a lot more experience with werewolves than they did having worked beside one for several years. He straightened as the brother's came rushing down the stairs, frowning at how worried they looked.
 
“Sam! Dean!” They turned to him and Sam managed a smile for him.
 
“Xander! You're the help Bobby promised?”
 
“Yeah, I was only a couple of hours down the road. So what's going on? Uncle Bobby didn't say much, just that you were dealing with werewolves.”
 
“Her name's Madison. We thought she was cured. Dean severed the bloodline and we stayed up the next night. But last night she turned. Do you know anything?” Sam knew he sounded desperate but he really didn't want to have to kill her.
 
“Watcher's Council is pretty sure there is no cure and we never found anything for Oz. We just locked him up and kept the tranq gun handy. But Oz did say he's heard about ways to learn to control it.”
 
“Yeah well that doesn't do us any good.” Dean stated, glaring at Xander until Sam elbowed him.
 
“What happened to your face?” Xander asked, seeing the scratches on Sam's cheek.
 
“Madison got free of the chair I'd tied her to, I'm okay. Are you sure you've never heard of a cure?” Sam pleaded and Xander sighed, pulling out his phone and dialling.
 
“Hey G-man. No I'm fine... No I haven't been kidnapped recently....Giles! Look, there's a werewolf issue in San Francisco...do you watch the news looking for this stuff? You're a Watcher of course you do. Look it's a girl and she had no clue. Are we positive there's no cure? There's a couple of hunters here, say they severed the bloodline and she went one night without transforming but the next night...” Dean and Sam exchanged looks as they listened to Xander's side of the conversation. Dean covered a laugh with a cough at hearing the kidnapping comment, was it possible the kid was as bad as Sam?
“Yeah...okay thanks. Yes, I'll try to ring more often to let you know I'm still breathing. Um...I'm not sure...no it's not...look Giles I just have a lot of stuff to think about and honestly I'm not sure if I'm coming back to stay. Can you really blame me? Yeah...thanks G-man. I'll call in a couple of days.” Xander hung up and sighed.
“Definitely no cure that we know of. Council's more into kill now, think about a cure later. There's rumours about out east though. Best bet is finding her somewhere safe and really secure for the nights she transforms and find someone trustworthy enough to sit guard.”
 
“And when she gets out and kills again? You guys just let monsters go free?”
 
“Werewolves are still human twenty seven days out of the month Dean, so yeah, we have a problem with killing them. Unless they're purposely going around killing for fun.” They fell silent as Sam's phone rang.
 
---------------------------------
Xander paced the brothers' motel room angrily. He couldn't believe Dean had threatened to shoot him if he followed them! Okay so it would be non-fatally but still. Why did he have to be so pigheadedly stubborn? He could see it in his eyes, Dean still believed killing her was the best thing to do. Sam's reasoning had made sense at least, another person would scare Madison even more than she already was. And they really didn't need three people to tell her the options.
 
Xander growled low in his throat as he continued to pace before throwing himself down on a bed, from the smell of it Sam's. He froze as the scent hit him fully and a low purr started up in the back of his mind. No way. They were friends, that was it.
 
But apparently his opinion didn't count as the purring continued even as he mentally made the point of two males equally no cubs. Apparently the hyena had made up her mind; giving Dean another really good reason to hate him. He bolted upright as the door opened. One look at Sam was all he needed to know what had happened and he shot a glare at Dean.
 
“We gave her the options, she made her choice.” The older Winchester stated softly, guiding the still crying Sam inside. Xander moved off the bed, letting Sam sit on the edge. He almost had to smile at the lost look on Dean's face.
 
“How about you go get us all some coffee?” Xander suggested, tossing him a few bills. Dean stared at him and Xander met his gaze. Finally Dean gave a jerky nod and left the room. Xander sat down next to Sam, letting their arms brush.
 
“It's not right.” Sam said softly.
 
“No it's not. Then again it's not really right that this sort of thing happens to anyone. You gave her all the choices and she picked the one she felt was right. Whether or not you agree it was her choice.” Xander answered just as softly.
 
“I...I really cared about her. We...well we...”
 
“I know.” Sam looked at him and Xander tapped his nose earning a blush.
 
“I wanted to save her because if she could be saved...maybe...maybe I can too.” Xander barely heard the last bit and was pretty sure he wasn't meant to but it made him curious. What did Sam need saving from? His visions? There were tons of psychics out there. He wrapped an arm around Sam's shoulder, letting him shed the last of his tears on Xander's shirt.
 
“Why do you need saving Sam? There's nothing wrong with you. If it's someone after you because of that psychic thing I'll help Dean kick their ass for you. Different doesn't mean bad, despite what some small minded people think.” But Sam was shaking his head.
 
“You don't know what I...”
 
“So tell me. Nothing you can say will change the fact that you're the best male friend I have. Heck I've told you more the last month than I have Willow and I've known her since we were kids.” Xander moved so he was sitting sideways on the bed and facing Sam who was wiping his face clean of the last of his tears.
 
“Dad...the last thing he said to Dean was that if he couldn't save me Dean would have to kill me. This demon killed our mom in my nursery and then I started having visions last year. We've found others my age with psychic abilities, most of who have gone bad. One's gone missing, her fiancé dead and there was sulphur in their apartment. The demon has plans for us, don't know what but Dad obviously thought they weren't good.”
 
“Demon plans generally aren't. Just because other psychics your age have gone bad doesn't mean you will. You know about this and how to protect yourself, I bet those others didn't. So you have an advantage. And it's not like you're going to do anything the demon says if it showed up and said hey I have these great plans and you're involved, you know better. There's no way you'll ever go evil Sam.” Sam stared at him and then slowly smiled.
 
“Thanks. With you and Dean believing in me and backing me up I guess it must be true.”
 
“Of course it is. And Dean must be getting coffee from LA to be gone so long.” As if he'd been waiting for someone to say that the door opened and Dean strolled in with three coffees and a bag of donuts.
 
------------------------------
Dean watched as Xander slung his bag into the backseat of his car. He'd spent the night on a cot in the brother's room and was now heading out, they'd be leaving in another hour or two. He didn't know what Xander had said to Sam while he'd been getting coffee but whatever it was had obviously helped and that was what had him watching the teen so closely. Despite his misgivings Xander had helped them out twice now without asking for anything in return. Sighing he stepped forward, Xander's small pause letting him know the teen had spotted him.
 
“All packed?” Dean asked, not sure how to say what he wanted to.
 
“Yep. Was just going to say goodbye then I'm outta here.” Xander answered as he leant against the side of his car.
 
“Sure.” Dean fell silent, annoyed with himself. This sort of thing was really Sammy's deal not his.
“Look I...thanks. Whatever you said to Sam helped so thanks.” Xander grinned at him.
 
“Only told him the truth. He told me something...I know he's psychic. Uncle Bobby wasn't the one he was on the phone to when he had that vision. Sam said there are hunters out there who want him dead because of it so if you ever need help...”
 
“Why?” Dean asked, instantly suspicious.
 
“Because you guys are some of the good guys. Because I like you both, even though I know you don't like me all that much. And because you're important to Uncle Bobby and he's the only family member I have that I actually like. Sam told me about the demon you're after and I asked Giles and another ex-Council member to see what they can find for you, no charge. I'll let you know if they find anything.” Dean stared at the kid in front of him but he was no more a kid than they had been at that age. He was as much a warrior as they were and he was offering his help as such.
 
“Thanks. So where are you headed next?”
 
“South. I figure I'll stop in on a few of us who left for LA after graduation and then home. Don't think I'll be staying long though, just need to pick some stuff up and see a few people.” Xander shrugged.
 
“Yeah...look you need help give us a call okay? Hunters got to help each other.” Dean said gruffly and then headed back to the room, knowing Xander was grinning at his back.
 
“Guess I'm growing on your brother.” Xander stated and Sam stepped out from behind the dumpster he'd hidden behind when he'd seen them talking.
 
“Good. So you're really leaving already?” Sam asked, sorry to see his friend leaving.
 
“Yeah, besides you guys are going soon as well.” Xander shrugged, hands shoved in his pockets.
 
“Guess so. Thanks for coming to help; it was good seeing you again.”
 
“You to Sam. I'll call you tonight?” Sam smiled at that and nodded.
 
“At least now I won't have to hide your calls.” Sam stepped forward and gave Xander a brief hug before heading back to his room. Xander watched him go and then got in his car and headed for the freeway. Next stop LA and Deadboy. Maybe even Cordelia if he could find her.
 
TBC...