Buffy The Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Dawning Power ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own them.
Glad people seem to like this.
 
Chapter 2
 
“Sam! Get a move on would ya? We were supposed to be there like 15 minutes ago. Sam! You coming or what?" Dawn called as she put the finishing touches on her makeup.
 
“Do I have to?” Sam asked as he poked his head around the door and Dawn smiled.
 
“Yes. It'll be fun. I'm not even making us wear costumes so get over it and get a move one Mister.” She scolded and Sam finally came into the bedroom to see that Dawn wasn't wearing a costume either. Instead she was wearing black jeans, low heeled boots and a green top. Sam scoffed softly.
 
“You know how I feel about Halloween.” He answered and Dawn sighed.
 
“It's not my favourite holiday either you know. But we said we'd go Sam.” She answered, reaching out to wrap her arms around him and Sam returned the embrace.
 
“Alright.” He gave in and she smiled, reaching up to give him a quick kiss. Sam was smiling as they left for the bar where the party was being held.
 
“So here's to Sam and his awesome LSAT victory.” Dawn cheered, raising her glass of Coke.
 
“All right, all right it's not that big a deal.” Sam tried to argue, blushing ever so slightly.
 
“He acts all humble but he scored a 174.” She told their friends who grinned.
 
“Is that good?” Maria, a girl from Dawn's classes asked and Dawn nodded.
 
“Scary good.” She answered proudly.
 
“See there you go, you are first-round draft pick. You can go to any law school you want.” Nick pointed out with a grin; they already knew he was leaving for medical school next year.
 
“Actually I got an interview here…Monday. If it goes ok I think I got a shot at a full ride next year.” Sam answered to cheers.
 
“Hey it's gonna go great.” Dawn assured him softly, squeezing his hand.
 
“It better.” Sam mumbled and Dawn grinned at him.
 
“How does it feel to be the golden boy in your family?” Maria asked with a sly smile and Dawn shot her a mild glare.
 
“Ah, they don't know yet.” Sam admitted, he'd meant to call Dean earlier but hadn't had time. He still hadn't heard anything from his Dad though Dean seemed to think his voicemails were being listened to.
 
“Don't know? I would be gloating! Why not?” Marie pushed.
 
“Cause we're not exactly the Brady's.” Sam admitted and then smiled.
“I need to tell my brother later.”
 
“And I'm not exactly the Huxtables. More shots?” Nick and Maria headed for the bar.
 
“No, no.” Sam yelled after them but was ignored.
 
“Seriously, I'm proud of you and your gonna knock them dead on Monday and you're gonna get that full ride. I know it.” Dawn told him softly, moving closer to lean into him.
 
“What would I do without you?” He asked softly and she kissed him.
 
“Keep tripping into people.” She answered with a laugh. Maria and Nick returned with more shots and another Coke for Dawn which she sniffed first to make sure no alcohol had been added, after Buffy's fun time with beer and seeing Xander's parents there was no way she was drinking. She didn't mind Sam drinking, he never allowed himself to go as far as getting drunk so it didn't bother her but she didn't want to drink herself and Sam respected that.
 
-------------------------------
“Sam?” He rolled over and motioned for her to be quiet.
 
“Stay here.” He whispered and then headed out into the main part of their apartment, leaving a grouchy Dawn behind in their bedroom. Hearing the floorboards creak he froze and then saw a shadow move into the room. He grabbed the man and they started fighting. Sam finally ended up bind beneath the intruder.
 
“Whoa, easy, tiger.” Dean said as he pinned Sam to the floor. Sam just stared at him in shock.
 
“Dean?” Sam asked, surprised to see his brother who had only visited that once though they talked fairly regularly. Dean laughed at him and Sam relaxed, breathing heavily from the exertion of their fight.
“You scared the crap out of me.” Sam told him.
 
“That's cause you're out of practice.” Dean taunted and Sam moved. This time it was Dean that was pinned to the floor, making Dean laugh again.
 
“Or not…Get off me.” Dean urged and Sam got up, offering Dean a hand up.
 
“Dean, what the hell are you doing here?” Sam asked in annoyance now that the adrenaline was wearing off.
 
“Well I was looking for a beer.” Was the flippant answer.
 
“What the hell are you doing here?” Sam asked again, not in the mood for teasing since it was two in the morning.
 
“Okay, all right, we gotta talk.” Dean told him and Sam stared at him.
 
“Uh, the phone?” He suggested and then winced, he had honestly meant to call Dean before going to bed but he'd been very tired when they'd gotten back from the party.
 
“Face to face talk Sam.” Dean told him seriously.
 
“Oh, I um actually meant to call last night anyway. Got my scores back.”
 
“Really? You passed right?” Dean asked, letting Sam tell his good news before he had to break the bad to the kid.
 
“Yea, got an interview with the Law School on Monday morning, looks like I could get a free ride.” Sam told him and Dean could see his brothers smile even in the dark. He felt a swell of pride for Sam and then spun, ready to fight, as the lights turned on.
 
“Sam? Dean, why didn't you call and say you were coming?” Dawn greet5ed when she saw the older man. To his surprise and pleasure she gave him a brief hug before moving to Sam's side.
 
“Something sort of came up. I need to borrow Sam for a bit, family stuff.” Dean answered, smiling at the young woman who had stolen his brother's heart. They'd talked a few times on the phone when he'd rung and Sam had been out and he really liked her.
 
“No. No. Whatever you wanna say you can say it in front of her.” Sam argued, wrapping an arm around Dawn's waist.
 
“Okay. Um…dad hasn't been home in a few days.” Dean tried, hoping Sam would get the hint.
 
“So he's working over-time on a “Miller Time” shift; he'll stumble back in sooner or later.” Sam answered and Dean sighed.
 
“Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in a few days.” Dean tried again, stressing the word hunting and watched Sam's eyes widen.
 
“Dawn, excuse us. We have to go outside.” Sam said, looking down at her with a smile before heading outside with Dean. Dawn huffed and then went to the window, watching as they emerged and went to Dean's car. Something weird was going on and it had to do with their Dad and hunting. But did she have the right to push for answers when she was still keeping a rather big part of her life secret? She sighed and headed into the kitchen to make coffee; figuring Dean would need it since it seemed he'd been up all night. Hearing the door and then Sam going into their bedroom she followed him to see Sam packing a duffle bag.
 
“Wait you're taking off? Is this about your dad? Is he all right?” Dawn asked, really worried now about what was going on.
 
“Yeah, you know, just a little family drama.” Sam tried to brush it off as nothing but Dawn knew better.
 
“But Dean said he was on some kind of a hunting trip.” She pushed a bit for details.
 
“Aw yeah, he's just deer hunting up at the cabin and he's probably got Jim, Jack, and Jose along with him. We're just gonna go bring him back.” Sam answered and she swallowed, knowing he was lying.
 
“What about the interview?” She asked softly as Sam closed his bag and turned to her with a small smile.
 
“I'll make the interview. This is only for a couple of days.” Sam told her before heading for the door.
 
“Sam, I mean, please, just stop for a second. You sure you're okay?” She tried, grabbing his arm and Sam looked down at her before kissing her softly.
 
“I'm fine.”He assured her softly when they parted.
“Hey, everything's gonna be okay. I will be back in time-I promise.” He gave her another kiss and then left the apartment.
 
“At least tell me where you're going!” She yelled after him but there was no answer. Dawn sighed and went to turn the coffee off before heading back to bed though she doubted she'd get anymore sleep.
 
Sure enough she stared at the ceiling until the alarm went off and then trudged to the shower, using the cold water to shock any sleep out of her system. She dressed for the day, ate breakfast and then headed for the bookshop she'd gotten a part-time job at to help pay for their apartment since she wanted Giles' money to last as long as possible.
 
---------------------------------
Dean came out of the gas station to see Sam sitting sideways in his seat, flipping through Dean's box of cassettes. He waved some breakfast bars and juice at Sam.
 
“Hey, you want breakfast?” He asked and Sam looked up at him.
 
“No thanks. So how'd you pay for that stuff? You and dad still running credit card scams?” Sam asked and Dean shrugged.
 
“Yeah well…hunting ain't exactly a pro-ball career. Besides, all we do is apply, it's not our fault they send us the cards.” He answered with a grin as he got into the driver's seat, watching Sam roil his eyes.
 
“Yeah and what names did you write on the application this time?” Sam asked, fighting an amused smile.
 
“Uh…Bert Aframian and his son, Hector. Scored two cards out of the deal.” Dean grinned and Sam finally broke, smiling at Dean's answer and the odd names.
 
“Sounds about right. I swear man; you gotta update your cassette-tape collection.” Sam teased and Dean relaxed, happy to have Sam back beside him on a hunt. He'd missed the kid, not that he'd tell him that.
 
“Why?”
 
“ Well for one they are cassette tapes, and two—Black Sabbath? Motorhead? Metallica? It's the greatest hits of mullet rock.” Sam answered as he pulled a few of the tapes out with a grimace.
 
“House rules, Sammy. Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole.” Dean told him as he put a tape in.
 
“You know Sammy is a chubby 12 year old. It's Sam, okay?” Sam argued.
 
“I'm sorry, I can't hear you. The music's too loud.” He pulled out of the gas station and grinned as he spotted a sign saying 7miles to Jericho. He saw Sam smile and relax back into the seat as well and all was well with his world, other than their Dad being missing.
 
-----------------------------
Dawn dumped her things and then grabbed the phone, dialling Sam's cell from memory only to sigh as there was no answer.
 
“Hey Sam it's me. Just wanted to see how things are going. Find your Dad yet? Tell Dean not to give you too much of a hard time or I'll get him back for you. I love you Sam, hurry home. I'll call again tomorrow, bye.” She hung up and then went to work on an assignment, turning the radio on to drown out the silence.
 
-----------------------------
“Fake 911 phone call Sammy? I don't know, that's pretty illegal.” Dean praised from the phone booth.
 
“You're welcome.” Sam answered, phone held to one ear as he drove.
 
“Listen, we gotta talk.”
 
“Tell me about it. So the husband was unfaithful, we are dealing with a woman in white. She's buried behind her old house. So that should have been dad's next stop.” Sam started.
 
“Sammy would you shut up for a second.” Dean cut in.
 
“I just can't figure out why he hasn't destroyed the corpse yet.” Sam continued as he drove.
 
“Well that's what I'm trying to tell you. He's gone. Dad left Jericho.” Dean answered in annoyance.
 
“What? How do you know?” Sam asked worriedly
 
“I've got his journal.” Dean's answer didn't comfort either brother.
 
“He doesn't go anywhere without that.” Sam pointed out hesitantly.
 
“Yeah, well he did this time.”
 
“What's it say?” Sam asked, almost dreading the answer.
 
“Same old ex-marine crap when he wants to let us know where he's going.” Dean grumbled and Sam smiled even though his brother couldn't see it.
 
“Coordinates. Where to?”
 
“I'm not sure yet.” Dean answered.
 
“I don't understand, I mean what could be so important that dad would just skip out in the middle of a job? Dean, what the hell is going on? Whoa!” Sam dropped his cell and slammed on the breaks to avoid hitting the woman in front of the Impala.
 
“Sam? Sam!” Dean screamed into the phone.
 
“Take me home.” Sam looked back to see Constance in the back seat.
 
-----------------------------
Dawn put the plate of cookies out with a small smile, Willow and Tara had given her that recipe and Sam loved them. She'd made two batches since she wasn't sure if Dean or even their Dad would be with them. That done she headed for the bedroom only to freeze as the wards trembled. Hiding the warding symbols from Sam hadn't been easy but she'd managed and now she was glad she had as something began to break them. She ran to the bedroom, pulling out an old trunk that hadn't been opened since she'd done the warding. She pulled out a short sword and a bottle of silvery powder, scanning for the intruder. The sword was a gift from Angel after she'd spent six months in LA learning how to use one off him and Faith. She tightened her grip on the handle as a man appeared in the bedroom and her skin crawled, whatever he was he was pure evil.
 
“What do you want?” She demanded and he laughed.
 
“Feisty, I like that. Won't do you much good little girl. I need to send dear Sammy a message and you're the perfect way, just like his dear mommy.” The man…no demon taunted and Dawn dropped her shields, letting her own magic flow through her as she prepared to fight. She really wished Willow and Tara were there for backup. The demon's eyes widened in surprise as it felt her power and then it chuckled.
“Interesting, but it won't help. You're still going to die little witch.”
 
“Bet me.” She snarled and flung a spell at him which was deflected. Knowing she had no choice she reached deeper past the magic and into her very core. Pure emerald energy flooded through her, turning her eyes emerald as her hair whipped up around her with the energy of the Key let loose for the first time since she had realised it was still there after the Glory fiasco.
 
“What?” The demon demanded and then was forced on the defensive as it faced a power as old as time.
 
----------------------------------
Dean slammed on the breaks and they stared in shock for a second before Sam was scrambling for his door, terror etched on his face. Dean rushed to follow him.
 
“DAWN!” Sam screamed, searching wildly for his girlfriend. Dean pushed through the crowds beside him, searching desperately for the fiery girl that had become a friend to him.
 
“Dawn!” He added his cries to his brothers, praying she was alive.
 
“Over here!” A paramedic called and they ran over to the ambulance. Sam nearly collapsed in relief as he saw Dawn sitting on the gurney, hunched over and with an oxygen mask on her face as the paramedics checked her over.
 
“Dawn.” Sam called softly and she looked up, face covered in ash and blood from a small wound on her head. That didn't stop her smiling and reaching a hand out to Sam who had to be pushed into actually moving. When he made it to the gurney he clung to her, smoothing her hair down and just listening to her breath.
“I thought I'd lost you.” He murmured and her arms came up to wrap around him.
 
“M'okay.” She said and then coughed. Sam looked to the nearby paramedic who nodded.
 
“Small hit to the head, looks like she fell while trying to get out. We want to take her in for a night of observation due to the smoke, just to be safe.” The man said and Sam nodded.
“You can ride with her if you'd like.” Sam nodded and looked to Dean.
 
“Go with Dawn Sammy, I'll stay here to see what happened, get a hotel room and then join you.” Dean told him and Sam nodded, clambering up into the ambulance once Dawn was inside. Sam sat beside her, clutching her hand tightly and she smiled at him, slowly drifting off to sleep as the events of the evening caught up with her.
 
TBC...