Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction / Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Of Cards and Wands ❯ Explainations ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Of Cards and Wands: Part 5
By: Starlight Rose
Email: starlighto_rose@hotmail.com
Date completed: 12/24/2001 (I'm doing this for this chapter to document when I first posted this chapter with my explanations and theories.)

A.N. Another chapter. This chapter is full of explanations so pay attention about mid-way through because otherwise none of how any of this is happening will make sense. I'm working for the manga storyline of CCS so Eriol and Fujitaka are each a half of Clow Reed's soul which meanbs that despite the fact that Eriol only looks to be 15 or so he is actually Fujitaka's age. I worked really hard on trying to come up with the explanation to tie all this together and also to create crests and digimons and a new adventure that involves all three stories so I'm sorry that some of you may not have wanted to see digimon in this, but this is my story and I worked too hard on it to suddenly try and change everything because a few people don't like having to deal with more characters. I have it worse with having to write them. To everyone else I hope you enjoy.

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon, CCS, or Harry Potter. They are all owned by their respective creators. I do however own this story and the whole "ambient magic theory" and my explanations that tie everything together, and as far as I know they are completely original so please don't take them because I will be very mad and you don't want to get me mad, trust me.

***********************

"Explain!" Syaoran stated simply as he glared at Eriol as he entered the room. It was the morning after their fight with the monster that had attacked Tomoyo's fashion show and Syaoran was not happy knowing that his relative knew something that he wasn't telling them. So he got up early and ran to school just so that he could be the first person there so that he could corner the magician.

Eriol smiled warmly at him ignoring the glare and the demand and just greeted him with, "Ohayo, Syaoran-kun!" The three Hogwarts kids just stared at their professor with worry. As far as they could tell Syaoran looked very agitated and very intimidating. Over to the side watching the proceeding from a safe distance stood Tomoyo.

"You're not getting out of it that easily! I want and explanation and I want it NOW! What the heck was that thing we fought yesterday? How did it get here? What does it have to do with us? And how are you responsible for it?" Syaoran ground out the questions trying to keep his temper in check.

"How do you know I'm responsible for it?" Eriol asked his face a mask of perfect innocence that fooled nobody including the Hogwarts students who had only known him about a week.

"Because you always are, in some way or another you always are responsible for everything odd that happens to Sakura!" Syaoran yelled attracting the attention of some of the other students in the room. He sweatdropped a bit before resuming his death glare.

"Who's responsible for everything odd that happens to me?" Sakura asked walking into the room slightly out of breath. She had woken up late again and had barely made it before the second bell rang. Syaoran turned to smile at her before turning his gaze back to Eriol.

"Syaoran-kun here think's I'm responsible for the recent events." Eriol told her. "I'm a bit hurt that he should suggest something like that."

"Well are you?" Syaoran snapped at him.

"Sore wa himitsu desu." Eriol replied and Syaoran felt his arms tensing and watched as his arms slowly moved up to strangle the magician. Harry and Ron quickly ran over to him and restrained his arms to keep him from carrying through, but just as they heard the bell signalling the start of class ring. Eriol grinned at Syaoran and said sweetly, "Are? I suppose the explanations have to wait for later."

Syaoran stifled the urge to scream and pounce on the magician, absolutely certain he had arranged for the bell to ring at that moment to thwart the Chinese boy. With a final glare Syaoran took his seat and resigned himself to waiting until lunch to grill the magician.

He sat through lessons with gritted teeth, mentally contemplating the demise of the demented magician. He was so occupied with his thoughts that when the teacher called upon him to answer he didn't hear her and was woken from his reverie by Namuro-sensei slamming her hands down on his desk, hard. Syaoran looked up to see his teacher glaring at him and asking him in an annoyed tone of voice, "Would you mind working that problem out for us, Li-kun?"

Syaoran glanced up at the board and sighed withn relief at seeing that it was a math problem and thanked the Gods that his best subject as math. Blushing red from being coaight daydreaming he walked up to the board and worked the problem out within a few minutes. He then walked back to his seat and tried to concentrate on the rest of the morning's lessons.

As soon as the lunch bell rang, Syaoran leaped out of his chair and stalked menacingly over to Eriol. Grabbing the boy by the lapels of his uniform jacket, Syaoran pushed his face up to Eriol and growled, "Explain!"

Eriol just smiled at him and then turning to Tomoyo and Sakura asked them nonchalantly, "Would you like to have lunch with us?" Unfortunately the effect was spoiled because Syaoran was shaking him so every word came out sounding rattled.

Sakura merely bit her lip and stared pleadingly at Syaoran who blushed and let Eriol go. Tomoyo was giggling at the two's antics and the Hogwarts students were intent on trying not to laugh knowing that it would have been inexcusably rude for them to laugh at their professor, even if he really didn't act much like a professor. Though they did have to admit their curiousity waspeeked and they did want to know what was going on probably as much as Syaoran did, but they chose to be less direct and physical about it. After Syaoran had let Eriol go and had resigned himself to merely scowling at his relative Sakura replied cheerfully, "We'd love to join you for lunch, but could you tell us about what's going on?"

With a bright smile on his face Eriol told her, "I could, but I would like to wait until later. Maybe this afternoon when we can gather everyone together so I only have to explain once. Today is such a beautiful day, it would be lovely to have our talk at the park, ne?"

Syaoran gave Eriol another dark look causing the magician to point out, "You really shouldn't scowl like that. Your face might get stuck like that and I'm sure Sakura-san wouldn't like that one bit." After saying that he swiftly grabbed his lunch and began walking out of the classroom before the Chinese sorceror could lunge at him.

Sakura grabbed Syaoran's arm and pulled him out the door following Tomoyo with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, following closely behind them. They thought they heard Syaoran muttering under his breathe, "The only reason my face may get stuck like this is if that meddling magician caused it like he causes all the trouble around here." The Hogwarts kids looked back and forth at one another wondering what their professor hadn't told them about his relationship with the Cardcaptors group to make Syaoran seemingly dislike him so much.

The group joined Ginny and they all sat together having a nice picnic lunch mainly compliments of Eriol who seemed to have brought everything. As they sat and talked over lunch Harry finally gathered up the nerve to ask Eriol quietly, "Anou...Eriol-san, why does Li-kun seem to well..."

"Hate me?" Eriol finished for him. At Harry's reluctant nod, Eriol smiled, "I don't think my relative hates me, but he does tend to get annoyed at me a lot, but of course he's so cute when he's mad, so I can't help antagonizing him."

Harry nodded slowly though a puzzled look was on his face. From behind him Harry heard Hermione ask, "Well why does he blame you for everything then?" It was apparent she had been eavesdropping and looking behind him Harry noticed Ron was watching them with a curious look as well.

"Why don't you ask my cute relative. I'm quite sure he'll be glad to tell you." At the Hogwart's students dubious look Eriol laughed and reassured them, "Don't worry, that wolf doesn't bite unless provoked. He just bites at me because I like to provoke him."

Ron looked at the Chinese boy talking quietly to Sakura and gulping audiably called out to him, "Err...Li-kun, can I ask you a question?" Syaoran looked up from talking to Sakura and nodded his head wondering what the red-head wanted to ask him. Ron gulped nervously again then said quickly, "You don't really need to answer this if you don't want to, but we were just wondering what Eriol-san did to cause you to think this is his fault."

"It's always his fault." Syaoran stated simply. At Sakura's pleading look, Syaoran sighed and told the group about the things that Eriol had done to try and get Sakura to up-grade her Clow Cards. When he told them about putting the entire town into darkness, the Hogwarts students turned looking questioningly at Eriol wondering if the Chinese boy was telling the truth but Eriol merely smiled and nodded. They gulped thinking of the disaster that could have been had Sakura not been strong enough and mentally noted to themselves to stay on their professor's good side and also thought that maybe he wasn't such a bad option for DADA if he could cast spells like that.

When lunch was over the four Hogwarts students now understood why there seemed to be some animosity on the Chinese boy's fault towards Eriol and wondered that Sakura harbored no bitterness towards him as well. Though they did have to admit that Eriol was a rather fun teacher. As they headed back to the classroom Tomoyo fell in step beside them and said quietly, "Don't let what Syaoran said bother you. Hiiragizawa-kun is really a good person. His eyes are kind and he does care a lot about Sakura and Syaoran too even if he likes to provoke him. Syaoran cares about him too but he just doesn't realize it yet. It took Syaoran a bit of time to realize his feelings for Sakura, he didn't like her much to begin with because he viewed her as his competition. It's much the same with Eriol because Syaoran originally viewed Eriol as competition for Sakura. He actually stayed here for a few extra months instead of returning to Hong Kong because Eriol came."

"So he was jealous of Eriol?" Harry asked skeptically.

"Yes, but don't let anyone know I told you. Syaoran wouldn't like that much but he does have a really kind and caring heart. He came back from Hong Kong just to be with Sakura because he loves her so very much." Tomoyo told them

Hermione and Ginny sighed at how romantic that was. They then parted ways with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Tomoyo going to their classroom and Ginny returned to hers. The rest of the day passed slowly as they are wont to do when something pressing is on your mind. And the questions about the night before were certainly pressing. Finally the bell to end the day rang and before Syaoran could rush over to his desk and demand an explanation Eriol had suggested quite amicably, "Why don't we stop by my house to pick up Spinal so that he can hear the explanation then we can pick up Keroberus too. Nakuru should still be in classes if he has enrolled in Sakura's brother's school like he said he would be."

As Syaoran heard the last statement he made a mental note to stay far away from the Kinomoto for the next few weeks so as to best avoid Touya. Touya was at best rude to him and at worst downright hostile and threatening and despite Syaoran's training in magic and martial arts the older man still inimidated him some even if he would never show it or admit it. Now with Nakuru around to cause Touya's temper to be even worse, Syaoran knew he definitely did not want to run into the overprotective onii-chan.

Syaoran glared at Eriol before accepting his suggestion. The magician was up to something. Of that Syaoran was sure, otherwise he wouldn't use so many delay tactics. Even Eriol knew not to antagonize Syaoran too much. So rather than trying to battle it out with the magician and lose more time, syaoran decided to go along with the plan although not necessarily happily. Truth be told he was downright sulky. Syaoran was not a very graceful loser, well that was unless he was losing to Sakura but losing to her was downright pleasant most of the time. They headed over to Eriol's house first and picked up Suppi and then headed over to Sakura's house and grabbed a disgruntled Kero-chan who was not to happy to be dragged away from his game.

Finally they headed to the park upon Eriol's insistance. As they walked through the park they noticed a large group of kids some of whom were holding weird stuffed animal, though Syaoran could have sworn he saw one of the animals move on its own but he choose to ignore that for the time being so that he could get an answer from the crafty sorceror. He watched with narrowed eyes though as Eriol seemed to look straight at one of the kids that had started watching them as they passed them, and gave the boy a typical Eriol smile.

The magician was definitely up to something, but Syaoran decided to hold his tongue and bide his time because this time he was sure whatever it was, he would find out soon enough. He continued walking and let Eriol lead them to a clearing beneath a cherry tree. A clearing that was carefully concealed by trees and bushes although those same trees and bushes could easily be used to hide behind which Syaoran suspected that was what the kids with the strange stuffed animals were doing at that very moment. but despite his concern, Syaoran knew that Eriol was nothing if not discrete so he choose to trust the magician.

After they sat down Syaoran asked in a not too soft tone, "What the heck was that thing we fought last night!"

"That my cute relative, was a digimon." Eriol replied calmy.

"Care to tell us what a digimon is?" Syaoran asked in a not too polite tone. He was tired of the magician's games and wanted answers.

Eriol sighed and thought out loud, "How do I explain this. Well a digimon is a digital monster, one that is mainly a collection of data, but there is a certain amount of magic mixed in with the data in order for them to come to life and be a living creature."

"Anou...Eriol-san...if that's what they are why aren't there more around?" Hermione asked.

"For the most part they stay confined to their world." Eriol answered.

"Then how did they get to our world?" Sakura asked.

"That I am afraid is partially my fault and partially Clow's fault along with a few other witches' and wizards' fault." Eriol admitted sheepishly.

Syaoran raised an eyebrow and said drolly, "In other words its mainly your fault since Clow is your past incarnation. I figured as much, it's always your fault."

"Well you had something to do with it too!" Eriol retorted. At Syaoran's skeptical look Eriol sighed and said, "This will take a bit to explain and be prepared for a nice history and magical theory lesson." Everyone settled themselves into comfortable positions and looked expectantly at Eriol. Eriol sweatdropped a bit because he had hoped that telling them it was long and complicated would discourage them but apparently not so taking a deep breath he started. "Well are all of you familiar with the way energy works?" At the slow hesitant nods he decided to continue. "Well magic is similar to energy. In fact you could almost consider it another form of energy. You all know that when a reaction occurs energy is usually released correct?" Eriol watched them all nod.

"Well magic is the same way. When a spell is cast magicial energy has a tendancy to be released into the surroundings. Also after a spell is cast there is a bit of residual energy left over and that also tends to seep into the atmosphere. These energies that are released into the air become part of the matrix of naturally occuring magic that is already present in the atmosphere, a form od magic I like to call ambient magic. This ambient magic will build up, but conversely it'll also slowly be used up by manifesting itself in one way or another so that there is usually not an overlarge amount of it present. Generally it manifests itself in the form of things such as deja vu or beginners luck.

"Most normal spells only release a small amount of ambient magic and its the energies released from those spells are what you will generally find. But occasionally you'll get either a large number of moderately powerful spells being performed in a short period of time or a really large spell being performed that will cause a large amount of magic to be released thus increasing the amount of ambient magic a large bit. When there is such a surge in ambient magic the magic tends to release and manifests itself in different more drastic ways. That is what happened to create that creature you fought yesterday.

"When Clow first created the Clow Cards many years ago he caused a large amount of ambient magic to be generated. So in trying to balance itself the ambient magic apparently decided to create a new world, the digital world. Another sorceror Clow was friends with at the time tracked the creation of that world and choose to move there and watch over it. He often reported to Clow about the occurances in that world and its progression since Clow felt partially responsible for it, including the creation of creatures that seemed to be made of a mix of data and a bit of magic. There were several types of these creatures and they also tended to evolve into different creatures.

"Well about thirty something years ago Clow 'died' and split himself into two parts, Fujitaka, Sakura's father, and myself. The spell was a very powerful spell that created a large surge in the ambient magic levels, nowhere near the amount generated by the creation of the Clow Cards, but still a good deal. Add to that that Voldemort began to come into power then." Eriol smiled grimly at them then noticing the shudders that the Weasley children made at the mention of the name, but continued, "To come into power Voldemort had to cast a lot of spells most of them only mildly powerful according to Clow's standards but still very powerful according to most wizarding standards. The accumulation of ambient magic caused by Voldemort and his follower's spells and Clow's final spell caused the first gate between our world and the digital world to form. The portal at that time was tenuous. The digimons first appeared as characters in kids video games and interacted with the kids through the games though it was a believed a few special kids got pulled into the digital world for a short span of time. The gate however was not the first link from our world to the digital world. The whole world is actually linked to ours because of the sole reason that the magical energies from our world created the digital world. The fact that it happened at all was more than anything a coincidence. Without the videogames and other digital devices being created already there would have been no path to this world even if the link and the magic was already present."

Eriol looked straight at Harry then said, "The next stage in this whole thing concerns Harry." Harry was taken slightly aback by the statement but after the explanation he had recieved so far, he wasn't too surprised that he was somehow involved. "Around fouteen years ago the link became much more solid and a few of the digimon were able to cross over to our world when Voldemort tried to kill Harry and the spell backfired. A backfired spell releases a lot more energy than a regular spell and the spell that Voldemort tried to cast was fairly powerful in and of itself. The digimon wreaked no small amount of havoc in this world and I managed to open up the portal they came through and sent them back, discretely of course. Only a few actually saw them, I think two kids that interacted with them a good bit and of course whatever kids woke up in the middle of the night and saw the battle that two of them waged."

From behind a set of bushes, Tai and Kari glanced at one another remembering their first encounter with a digimon fourteen years ago. They stayed quite however as Eriol continued, "About four years ago when Sakura first started capturing the Clow Cards and then upgrading the Clow Cards another surge in the ambient magic levels was created. Sakura's spellcasting combined with Syaoran and my own spellcasting was what caused that surge. That surge allowed several kids, seven initially to be transported to the digital world. That surge also later allowed many digimons to cross over to our world again. When I transported the first set of digimon back to their world, I placed a seal over the gates, but new ones opened and my seal also got weakened. I wasn't able to take care of it then because I was a bit pre-occupied with trying to increase Sakura's power, so that friend of mine took over for me.

"Earlier this year Voldemort cast that spell to give himself a body again and although it wasn't much, with the weakened state of my seal and the large number of gates that were already present the gates basically just reopened allowing new digimons to enter this world and a new set of kids to enter the digital world. I thought the situation with that was already settled but as it appears as if I am wrong and the gates are once again active and digimons are coming into our world again. Now that one has appeared we should expect more." Eriol finally concluded causing the kids to look back and forth between each other in a bit of a daze. When they asked for an explanation they had never imagined anything like the one they just recieved.

Finally Harry spoke up, "Why is it then that the trouble doesn't seem to happen where the spells are cast?"

Eriol smiled at Harry's question and replied, "Magic is finicky. It doesn't always do what you want or expect it to so the gates just opened wherever they wanted to basically."

Just as Eriol finished answering the question a loud rustling came from the bushes and an angry boy with messy spikey brown hair wearing a green school uniform stalked out yelling, "Wait just one minute here! Are you trying to tell me that all of this, all our adventures were pure coincidence and there is no purpose to them?"

Several kids stepped out from behind trees and a few others from behind various bushes causing all of the Cardcaptirs and Hogwarts kids save Syaoran and Eriol to stare. Some of the new kids were shaking their head dejectedly and others were blushing at having been caught eavesdropping. Finally a girl with short broen hair with a white cat-like creature following her said, "Anou...onii-chan, you just blew our cover."

The boy stopped short and looked around sheepishly. Eriol smiled at him and asked, "Tai right? Gennai has told me quite a bit about you. If I'm not mistaken you and your sister met the first digimons to cross over to this world." Tai nodded stunned that Eriol knew his name. Eriol smiled again and then chose to answer Tai's question, "Your adventures are not coincidence. Nothing involving magic truly is. It was a coincidence that at the time the ambient magic was sufficiently was built up that all that happened to you, but magic has a mind of its own and all your adventures wre probably destined to happen. The magic chose to expend itself that way and killed two birds with one stone, by having you kids take care of an imbalance in the forces of good and evil while it regained its own balance of magic."

Tai nodded then scratched his head sheepishly before apologizing, "I'm really sorry about eavesdropping, but we sort of saw you guys fighting a digimon yesterday and wanted to find out what was going on. From past experiances we didn't really think you'd come straight out and tell us..."

"It's quite alright. I expected as much." Eriol replied smiling.

"In other words you planned this." Syaoran said glaring at Eriol. Eriol shrugged admission and Tomoyo bust out laughing.

Trying to be polite Sakura turned to Tai and started introducing everyone. Kari breathed a sigh of relief glad that that matter was settled peacefully and in turn introduced all the digi-destined. Sakura had become very curious about the kids adventures and was just about to ask about them when suddenly a shadow feel over them and Ken looked up and stated calmly, "Looks like we've got trouble."

All the kids looked up to see the huge form of Kuwagamon, a huge red insect looming over them.