Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Fistful Of Omake ❯ Ranma, PI ( Chapter 49 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Omake (jap.) - "extra", fanfiction use: an add-on or minific which is appended to a main story.

Yet Another Other Father Omake...

---------

late 1979:

The very proper English person driving the Rolls looked over at the child while they waited at a light. "(How much of what just went on do you understand?)"

The sullen child let out a deep breath and responded in the same language- Japanese. "(I'm not very good at English.)"

"(That *is* why I'm asking,)" said the Brit smoothly.

"(My stupid oyaji father abandoned me. Probably because of this,)" the boy indicated his ruined leg. "(The hefty guy I spoke to earlier adopted me. Some kinda writer isn't he?)"

"(That is correct.)" The Rolls Royce continued into a private estate. "(Reconstructive surgery will repair the damage done and you will be walking again in a few years.)"

"(Yeah, yeah. I got it. I'm just... stupid oyaji.)" The five year old looked out the window at the scenery going by.

"(By the way, my name is Higgins,)" said the Brit. "(And the disreputable person you'll be meeting shortly is named Thomas Magnum. Do try not to pick up any bad habits from him.)"

Ranma perked slightly. Disreputable? Sounded more his speed than this crap.

--------

RANMA, PI. an omake by Metroanime.

Ranma cast by Takahashi. Magnum cast by whoever did it. Heck it's been twenty years since i saw an episode, i think i'm doing pretty good just remembering the names. i'm told the manga came out in 1989 so i'm adjusting dates accordingly. That would mean Ranma was born in 1973.

--------

Ten years later:

Ranma Winters cracked his knuckles and shifted his weight slightly. His opponent did similarly.

The signal was given.

Ranma leapt forward, kick lashing out to bounce off his opponent's block.

Kick, punch, block, counter. This wasn't a streetfight where things could get hairy in a heartbeat and someone was likely to pull a gun if things went downhill. This was a tournament.

"Point - Winters."

Ranma bowed once to the opponent, once to the judge.

There was an intensity to streetbrawls on beating on the bad guy that was lacking for these tournament jobs.

Fortunately, he had just the job lined up after high school.

Mind you, Oahu wasn't exactly Los Angeles, but a cop was a cop was a cop. And with some of the drug and other traffic locally, you could get all the adventure you could handle.

"Point - Winters. Match - Winters."

Another bow to both judge and opponent.

Of course, it wasn't enough to be a black belt around here if you were going to tag alongside the likes of Thomas Magnum or AJ off on one of their adventures. The local police had need of advanced martial artists, and about the time he'd gotten his fourth blackbelt - they'd been interested.

They were: JKD, aikido, wing chun kung fu, and hwarang do. Ninjitsu had been added, though belts were not awarded in that particular style. Five Arts.

He'd gotten training from some of the best of the best. It had gotten him through the pain of the reconstruction on his right leg. It had gotten him through the therapy. It had gotten him through the language and school and everything else.

Through his sempai - Thomas Magnum and his friends, and through the resources of his adopted father, Ranma Winters had learned a lot over the years. He could pilot a helicopter, shoot a gun (he preferred the Glock - good stopping power, light, durable, dependable), was a fair mechanic, a decent surfer, and dozens of other skills that he knew he could make good use of with Garret over in 5-O.

"Good job," said Tom as Ranma walked up.

"He's not bad, I can see why he's got that rep," admitted Ranma. "Unfortunately, he isn't in my class."

"So, you taking that job with Garrett? Police work, like a few other things, isn't so much a job as a calling."

"Think so, but after I take care of that little matter," said Ranma.

Tom let out a deep breath. "Okay. You're sure about that? There really are some secrets you're better off not knowing."

"A wise man once said 'we have to play the hand we are given' or something like that," said Ranma. "It's a matter of karma or something. I have to know *why* I was abandoned here. Was it just the leg making me 'damaged goods' or was there something else? Is my mother alive, and if so *why* wasn't she anywhere to be found? I can't remember her at all. Why did he throw me into a lion exhibit?"

Tom shook his head. "I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling about it."

"Your little voice? Now I'm worried." Ranma considered briefly. He had friends here. Not many, but the ones he had he could rely on. He *could* leave the past to the past, cut those ties once and for all, and accept that he was Ranma Winters - someone who would be attending the Police Academy in a year and a half.

There was a companionable silence until they were both in Magnum's Ferrari.

"No," finally said Ranma. "I need to know. I need to see and hear for myself. Unless I do this, I will always be wondering."

--------

"This is my son, Ranma Saotome." Genma said, sitting the boy down at the table.

"Ah, so which of these, my three daughters, will you be engaged to? There's Kasumi, she's 19. Nabiki, she's 17. Akane, she's 16."

The muscular young boy frowned. "I don't think so."

"RANMA, why don't you just pick one?" Genma suggested in a growling voice.

"This was NOT part of the original deal, old man! How long did you think you could string me along with the promises of that scroll?" The young man got up. "You're obviously going to continue stalling me until we have this out."

"Uhm, is this a bad time?" Nabiki was wondering exactly what was going on.

"My name is Ryuu Kumon. Saotome here has been baiting me with a martial arts scroll for over a year to impersonate his son," the muscular youth frowned further. "Apparently he killed his own son back in the seventies."

"He wasn't dead when I saw him last! Just a little mangled. I even left him in America where a crippled child supposedly has the best chance for reconstructive surgery..." Genma's voice trailed off briefly. "I guess you don't really want that scroll."

"If you hadn't pulled half the crap you had in this past year, I might have gone ahead with it, I could always leave during the night as soon as I'd gotten that scroll," Ryuu said, standing up and cracking his knuckles. "As it is, I'll just have to beat the answer out of you."

Genma stood. "Those scrolls were sealed for a reason."

"So you never had any intention to honor your agreement." Ryuu nodded.

"Excuse me, while I hate to interrupt this 'family' argument," began Nabiki.

"Then don't," suggested Ryuu.

----------

Ranma Winters sat back in his chair and tried to just zone out. This was his first time in such an airplane and only vague memories of the boat he and his father had taken that had ended up in Hawaii. Ranma was pretty sure that wasn't where they had intended to go.

He'd made a few arrangements. His hobbies were martial arts, Japanese culture, and food. While over there for a few weeks, he could hit a few of the local dojo, see a couple of temples, and hit a few of the food malls he'd heard of. He hadn't had much real Japanese food in years! If he could stay at a few of the dojo, he'd be able to spread his savings out a lot more.

---------

Nabiki eyed the big set of holes in the walls and looked over at her father. "So much for your friends, Daddy."

"I didn't expect it to end like this," said Soun with a sniffle. "Ohhh! The humanity!"

"I've got another possibility," said Nabiki thoughtfully. "This Amerikajin named Winters sent a request for lodging. Seems he's a real martial arts buff. We can get some rent out of him, which isn't much if he isn't staying at a hotel, but anything we get is more than we've got."

"An American who's into martial arts?" Akane nodded. "All boys are perverts, and from what I've heard of Americans - that goes double. I better explain to him that he can't be a pervert around here."

"That would be good, Akane, because Winters is apparently going to be a cop. One of the things he wanted to do while in this country is meet with some Japanese cops and see what their policies and procedures are like." Nabiki knew one of the major rules when dealing with police. Don't cross them if it was at all possible. A lot of them took it personal and a cop with a grudge was a bad enemy to have. "Winters will be here in a couple of days. I was thinking of a polite refusal, but thanks to the current damage, I think we should accept the relatively minor inconvenience of having a guest."

--------

Ranma Winters looked around. Hawaii could be pretty crowded in some areas. More often he'd had lots of elbow room.

There was something claustrophobic about Tokyo. Cramped, crowded, tight - the Narita airport was all of these. The Japanese subway even more so. At least the transfer to Nerima had been less crowded, and Furinkan station had been fairly light.

The girl meeting him at the train station was fairly pretty, which helped. Her English was atrocious though.

"Excuse me, Miss. I *do* speak Japanese," pointed out Ranma after a few minutes of her trying to say something about shopping.

"Oh. Good, that will make things easier," admitted Nabiki. "So, do you have a job?"

"I work occasional jobs," admitted Ranma.

"Like what?" Nabiki asked, wanting to get an idea of how much money she could get out of their guest for the three days he'd requested.

"Well, I work some assisting a private investigator, I've been known to wait tables and help out in the kitchen at a restaurant, the occasional piloting and helicopter maintenence," admitted Ranma. "So sometimes I do tours of the islands. Other than that - odd jobs. I'm considering a career with the police though."

Nabiki eyed the boy. Obviously used to working outside and working out. Tall, muscular but lithe, nice white shirt and dark pants that showed off the breadth of his shoulders. He looked Okinawan with that deep golden tan. Oops she'd almost walked by her house. "Well, here we are. Tendo Dojo Of Anything Goes Indiscriminate Grappling."

"Oh good," agreed Ranma. A middleaged man with long hair and a moustache stepped out.

"Ah, this is the gaijin who is going to be fouling the Tendo home with his presence," said Soun smiling. "He looks almost Japanese."

"I was born in Japan," said Ranma. "Well, if I'm not welcome..."

Nabiki glared at her father. "By the way, Daddy. He can speak Japanese."

Soun winced. "So I gather."

"I'll be leaving then, Tendo-san. Tendo-san." Formally correct bows, and Ranma crossed the Tendo place off of his mental checklist.

---------

"Great, first your old friend and his fake son blow up the living room and part of the dojo, now the first offer of money we've had is blown. And he WAS born in Japan, Daddy. It was just that his father abandoned him in '79." Nabiki went from a tirade to sulking as she considered the lost income.

"Well, it's just as well," said Soun philosophically. "The boy was American. You KNOW how they can be."

"No I don't. Neither do you," grumbled Nabiki. "Though it was an interesting coincidence that Winters first name was Ranma. Just like the son whom your friend abandoned..."

Kasumi put her teacup down. "The son he abandoned in America..."

"...in 1979? It couldn't be. Could it?" Akane asked in a calm voice.

Soun twitched.

"He was cute too," grumped Nabiki further. IF Ranma Winters = Ranma Saotome THEN Ranma would have been a cute guy, one who had access to American markets, one who had a decent income, and one who had a career planned out. "Too bad it couldn't be him. I mean the odds are..."

Soun twitched again.

"...on the other hand," considered Nabiki, "we have three things that match the stories and the odds have to be against that as well."

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Nabiki quickly discovered she'd already thrown out the letter that had Winters' return address on it.

----------

Ranma got back on a plane to Hawaii, not really satisfied with the results of his search but it would have to do.

Jeet Kune Do was a wonderful martial arts style, and the philosophy of "use whatever works" seemed especially fitting to him for some reason. Seeing and being able to spar against so many martial arts styles had been quite enlightening. He'd have to see if he could incorporate that spin kick and the lessons on chi. Could be really handy.

Especially if Garret had been serious about that job offer.

----------

Mimir's Well:

"...and so Ranma lives happily ever after, a champion of justice who happens to look good in uniform," said Batt to Com and Exe. "After several years in the Hawaiian police, he eventually meets a very nice girl named Brianna Diggers on an adventure. Interpol wants him, Agency Zero wants him, and Brianna wants him. Eventually Brianna wins and he has a lot more adventures before the two marry."

"Not bad," agreed Peorth, the goddess' supervisor at the Earth Assistance Hotline. "There's a problem though."

"There is?" Batt started checking her work.

"Look at what happens to Genma when his wife finds out about the child abandonment." Peorth indicated.

"So what's so bad about that?" Batt asked. "He made the promise. He ought to have to live up to it."

Peorth considered. "True. Half point."