Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ All Along ❯ Chapter 1: The Adventure Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<b>Disclaimer:</b> I don't own Cardcaptor Sakura!!!
Please review! This is my first fanfiction! xox
 
<center><b>Wednesday night…5 years after the last adventure of Card Captor Sakura…</b>
A mist rose from the waters of Tomoeda and crept across the land. It spread like wildfire down the streets of the Japanese town, enveloping the sidewalks and the deserted streets. In a matter of minutes, it had taken over the streets of the town. The mist began creeping up buildings, climbing up them, silent as a winter night. The town slept with the exception of one.
Sakura stood at the brink of a rooftop, frowning down at the dilemma below her. <i>What could this be?</i> Though in her growing concern, she was slightly relieved. <i>It's been a long time since I've had any action.</i> She pondered for a moment. <i>In fact, since my adventures with Eriol, the Sealed Card and…</i> She trailed off refusing to bring up his name. She refused to think of him anymore, <i>His face, his chestnut brown hair, and his glittering amber eyes…</i>She would not remember him! Her face screwed up as memories of him and her flashed through her mind.
“That's enough!” She yelled out loud. She shook her head as if to shake the thoughts from her brain and regained concentration on the situation before her. She gazed down and noticed the mist was almost creeping at her feet, swirling and crawling. Twirling the pink sealing staff in her delicate hands, she released the Fly card. Silver angel wings sprouted from her back and in an instant she flew into the damp night sky. <i>What is happening here? I sense something but I can't put my finger on what it is?</i> She shook her head, scowling. <i>I'm out of practice.</i> Sakura gazed up at the starry sky. <i>It's been so long since I flew along the horizon.</i>
Sakura landed on the clock tower in the middle of Tomoeda and scanned the surrounding area. <i>It's no use. I have no clue where it's coming from.</i> She slid down the roof and held onto a pillar. <i>Wait. Mist normally comes from water…maybe its coming from the little lake by the Shrine.</i> She was about to jump when all of the sudden, she heard a bone chilling scream. Sakura leapt from the tower and shot towards the scream. A wave of panic rushed through her body. <I>What's someone doing outside at this time of night?</I> She found a woman hanging from a tree root on the cliff by the forest in Tomoeda. A wisp of discoloured mist held onto the woman's ankle like a ghostly hand, pulling her down. Hovering over to her, she picked the woman up under her arms, pulling against the troublesome mist and finally lifted her to safety. The woman collapsed on the ground and stared up at Sakura who smiled and placed her fingers over her lips, a sigh of silence.
“The mist grabbed my ankle and pulled me towards the cliff. I would have died if it weren't for you. Thank you beautiful angel.”
Sakura nodded and flew away before the woman could utter another word. Though she feared the woman would speak of the `Angel', she had faith that she wouldn't tell the world about it. Now back to the situation growing below me. Sakura tried to remember what she used when she captured the Mist Card but to no avail. <i>It's been too long. Damn it!</i> She landed on a building downtown and knelt, eyebrows furrowed in concentration.
“You idiot! What are you doing out here, without me?!” A familiar high pitched, Osaka accented voice yelled from behind her. Sakura did not flinch as Kero landed on Sakura's shoulder and continued yelling in her ear.
“I told you to wait but no! Of course the almighty, I-know-it-all, Super-Sakura has to leap away before I even finished my pudding. Teenagers…A guardian beast's cross to bear…Woah! What in the name of me is that?”
“I don't know. I've been trying to figure that out while you've been screaming in my ear.” Sakura replied, agitated by the intrusion on her concentration.
Kero frowned and opened his mind to his surroundings. He relaxed and felt a weird sensation rush through his body. <i>This is something I know I've felt before. An alien magic…foreign…</i>
“Whatever it is, it's not from a Japanese magician. It doesn't feel like anything I've felt in a very long time. It's definitely a foreign magic. Can you sense the magician's aura?” Kero asked, feeling slightly foolish for not being able to determine the source of the mist himself.
“No.” Sakura replied curtly. She wasn't proud of the skills she lost during the 5 years she spent magic-less.
“Use the Mist card and see what happens.” Kero ordered, turning into his true form. He flew off the building and landed on the adjacent roof across the street. He paced the length of the roof a few times and leapt to another building. He sniffed the air and growled with frustration. <i>Why don't I recognise this feeling?</i>
Sakura released the Mist card and watched it attack the green-grey mist. Like a dog herding stubborn sheep, the Mist card rounded up the mysterious mist and caught it in a huge sphere. Suddenly, a huge crack of thunder projected from the clouds. Shaken, Sakura stepped back and watched a spear of lightning explode from the sky, striking the ball of mist. Sakura ran over to the roof's edge looked down. The mist swirled up the lightning bolt like a twister and disappeared into the clouds. The Sakura Card was left on the ground beside a huge hole in the concrete. Baffled by the last few seconds, she flew down to pick up her card. She stared with wide eyes at the smoking crevice in the ground. <i>Great. Traffic is going to love that.</i> She flew from the road and joined Kero on the roof with a bewildered stare painted on his face.
“That was…unexpected.” He muttered, shaking his thick mane.
“It's no use. We'll look for the magician tomorrow. Dawn is already upon us.” Sakura stared at the rising sun, taking in its regal splendour. Sakura quickly jumped off the roof and flew at top speed towards her house.
“Wait for me you impatient, little girl! I swear…”
Sakura chose not to hear the rest. She new she was being rather moody but lately hormones were raging inside the teenager's elegant body. Obviously Kero didn't understand what she was going through. He was male after all.
Sakura landed in the tree outside her window and listened for any sign of life in the house. After hearing nothing, she slipped into her bedroom window and was greeted by the Mirror in her Sakura guise.
“Thank you for covering for me.” Sakura smiled and the Mirror returned to a card and landed in Sakura's outstretched hand. She changed out of her jacket and put her pyjama's back on. The moment she sat on her bed, Kero burst into her room (in his small form of course) and started ranting and raving about her in a hushed tone. Sakura ignored him and shut her drooping eyes, zoning him out completely. She fell asleep soon afterwards.
 
 
Thursday morning…
Syaoran awoke in a cold sweat. Again he had the same horrible dream where he and Sakura stood in a deserted parking lot while rain came crashing down on them and the concrete, blurring the vision of a menacing figure with icy blue eyes. Each time he would awake with the cold sense that something horrible was happening in Tomoeda. He swung his feet out of bed and let his head rest in his hands. He was so sick of Hong Kong, living with the Li Clan, constantly getting flocked by Meilin and other pesky girls. Though he was often bothered for not caring too much about girls, he knew his heart was set on only one.
He raised himself from his bed and walked to his window, in only a white wifebeater and boxer shorts. He opened his curtains and stared out at the rising sun. He was always bemused by the beauty of the elegant sunrise. He sat and watched with a distant gaze. <i>Sakura…</i>
“Morning Syaoran!” One of his sisters burst through his room and smothered him with a bone-crushing hug.
“Lemm ouuu!!” Syaoran attempted to yell but didn't succeed in his sister's embrace.
“It's my birthday Syaoran! What did you get me?” She pulled him even tighter.
“Illlttlllyuuuuuu!” Syaoran screamed into his sister's housecoat.
“Ah. Sorry about that!” Feimei scratched the back of her head sheepishly. Syaoran gasped for breath and gave his sister a reproachful look.
“Are you trying to kill me?” He growled, “Why are you up so early? Its 5:52 for goodness sake.”
“Cause it's my 18th birthday. I'm an adult now!” Feimei raised her head up high, her eyes glittering like the sun on the water, “There's no stopping me now! I'm as free as a heron!”
Syaoran scowled and shoved his sister out of his room, “I'll give your present to you later.” He locked the door after seeing Feimei out and collapsed onto his bed. He reached under the bed frame and pulled out a box. He opened it and pulled out a pink kimono, embroidered with a yellow dragon spanning from the waist to the trim at the bottom. <i>It would probably look better on Sakura. What am I thinking? Even if I do go back, nothing between her and I will ever be the same.</i> He sighed, feeling stretched. <i>I'll have to go back to Tomoeda soon. Maybe there I can see what my dreams really mean.</i>
Syaoran folded the kimono carefully and placed it into the gift-box. He tucked it under his bed and collapsed onto his mattress. He fell asleep soon after, his dreams plagued by icy blue eyes.
 
 
“I'm going to be late!!!” Sakura ran down the stairs of her home and dashed into the kitchen. Her father was there, eating his food happily, daydreaming.
“Ohayoo!” Sakura exclaimed with a smile on her face, “Hello mother!” She stopped by the picture of Nadeshiko and stared for a moment, taking in her stunning beauty. Only a few days ago, Tomoyo's mother had said again that she resembles Nadeshiko more and more every time she sees her but she highly doubted she would ever be as gorgeous as her mother was.
“Your breakfast is on the table.” Sakura's father Fujitaka said, waking Sakura from her reverie. Sakura ran to the table and gobbled down her food. He watched Sakura with an amused look on his face. <i>She becomes more like her mother everyday.</i> He sighed. <i>I wonder what she would say if she knew just how much Sakura has turned into her.</i>
“I'll see you tonight Dad! I have to rush to school. I have cheerleading practice.” With that she snatched her baton and her bag from the floor and dashed out the door. She strapped on her roller skates and zoomed down the street. On the way, she saw an old friend.
“Yukito!” Sakura skidded to a stop beside him and smiled brightly, “A beautiful day is it not?”
“Sakura! It is an exquisite day! Off to school?”
“Hai. Where are you off to?”
“College. Another day of studying.” Yukito sighed, “Have fun today! Oh wait.” He was silent for a moment, “Come over after school and bring Kero. Yue has something to say.”
“Hai. See you later.” Sakura skated away; knowing that what Yue wanted to say was about the mysterious mist last night. Without a second thought, Sakura rushed down the road to her school. <i>Yukito is so happy…he never ceases to amaze me. Though lately he has been very much in la-la land. He daydreams so much. I wonder if he's talking to Yue.</i>
“Ohayoo!” Sakura called as she passed she passed a few friends. She slowed down and stopped for a moment to speak with them.
“Did you hear about the big hole in the middle of the road downtown?” A girl named Beniko asked everyone.
“Yeah. It's causing a huge mess and traffic is really backed up.” Another girl named Maori replied.
“My father works in construction. He's fixing that big hole as we speak. He told me that it looked like a moon rock fell from the sky and created a crater.” Maori's over-exaggerating boyfriend Teruhiko ranted, “Have you heard about it Sakura?”
“Um, no! Haven't heard a thing about it!” Sakura replied sheepishly, “Well I better get to school! There's a cheerleading practice I must attend to!” Sakura skated away as quickly as she could and let out a relieved sigh. <i>Hoe, I hope it didn't cause too much trouble.</i>
Sakura arrived at school and quickly put her things in her locker. She dashed down the hall and into the gymnasium where all her fellow cheerleaders were warming up. She ran in and twiddled her baton as inconspicuously as she could. She didn't want to be caught again for being late.
Luckily she wasn't caught and the practice went along smoothly. She didn't mess up, to everyone's surprise especially during the part where the boys throw Sakura in the air and she has to do two front flips. It wasn't exactly Sakura's choice to do such a dangerous stunt but she knew she was basically the only one capable of pulling of such a feat in the whole squad. She secretly thanked being a Card Captor for that.
After practice, Sakura arrived and settled in homeroom. Around her, girls and guys were mingling together, acting like regular flirtatious teenagers. A pang of jealousy stabbed her in the heart. <i>Why don't I ever flirt?</i> Unfortunately she knew the answer to that question. <i>I'm gonna have to get over him soon or else I'm going to rot away on a memory.</i> She shuddered at the thought.
“Ohayoo Sakura!” A familiar Jasmine scent wafted in the air and a pair of arms hugged Sakura from behind.
“Tomoyo! Isn't it a beautiful day?” Sakura gazed out of the window at the glorious sunshine reflecting off the cherry blossom trees in the yard. Tomoyo rested her chin on Sakura's shoulder and admired the view.
“Yes, it's splendid outside. It's quite unusual for this time of the season. Its only early spring!” Observed Tomoyo who then let go of Sakura and sat down in the desk beside her.
“Attention students! Class is about to begin!” Terada-sensei announced his crisp voice loud and clear. The students settled down and readied themselves for another day of schoolwork.
 
 
“Good morning Syaoran. Sleep well?” Syaoran's mother Yelan smiled as Syaoran sat at the large eating table. Immediately he was served a hearty breakfast.
“No.” Syaoran replied curtly, “I'm having some very horrible dreams. Something bad is going to happen in Japan.” He sighed and started eating his breakfast.
“Are you sure? How long have you been having this dream?” Yelan asked, sounding concerned.
“About a week. If you will grant me, I'd like to go back and sort this out.”
“I suppose. You can leave on the weekend if you desire. I'll have Wei accompany you but you must return between two weeks time and I mean that.”
“What if that amount of time is not enough?”
“Oh I'm sure Sakura will do fine by herself.” Syaoran continued eating his meal in silence. <i>How did she know that Sakura has something to do this? Who knows, she is my mother after all.</i>
The day passed as normal. A day of school, then a martial arts lesson with his Sensei, dinner, a magic lesson and then bed. It was starting to get really boring, the life of the boy who has to make up for losing the Clow Cards. Now he was enduring severe training to be the next leader of the Li Clan. He was looking forward to the weekend, only 2 days away.
“Happy birthday Feimei!” Yelan smiled warmly, handing her youngest daughter a gift-wrapped box. Feimei opened the box and found a sapphire pendant on a silver chain. Delighted, Feimei embraced her mother and had her older sister, Xuehua fix the clasp around her neck. Next, Fudie gave her a fancy caligraphy set, Xuehua gave her a pair of pink shoes Feimei had been meaning to buy and Huanglian bought her a set of 8 ribbons, all different shades of her favourite colours, purple and blue. Finally came the time where Syaoran was to give Feimei his gift. He handed her the box carefully and awaited her to open his gift. Feimei opened it and stared aghast at the elegant kimono folded inside. She pulled it out and held it to her body.
“Its beautiful! You're such a cute brother!” Feimei jumped on Syaoran and squeezed him tightly.
“You're welcome.” He gasped, finding it very hard to breathe with her squishing him.
It was a comical sight. A fifteen-year-old boy getting squashed by his older sisters who love him dearly. <i>It's sad, knowing that he hates being here and would rather be with Sakura,</i> observed Fudie silently. When her mother had told her that Syaoran would be off to Japan on the weekend, she had been secretly relieved. <i>Maybe after seeing the changes they've gone through he'll get over her and get on with his life.</i>
That night, Syaoran laid in his bed and stared out his window at the obnoxious lights of Hong Kong. <i>There's no chance I'll miss those when I go to Japan. I just hope I sort out what need to be attended to before the stupid Clan drags me back here.</i> He frowned at the way his life was being carried out and closed his eyes. <i>If only I could rid myself of this responsibility…if only.</i></center>