Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ And Now You're Back Again ❯ The Engagement ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura, Syaoran and Tomoyo stared at the problem for moment.
Windy has trapped it, but it moves with her. Putting another element in his path wouldn't do any good… he'd just stay as wind or become whatever I use… Sakura thought. She was frustrated and hated how she felt so cornered.
“I… I think… I think we have to let him go.” Tomoyo was the first to speak.
“But Tomoyo, he could come back and just attack again!” Sakura argued.
“Maybe not. We know what he is and how to stop him, and we have him trapped. We can just move him far away so that he isn't near us.” Syaoran replied.
Sakura pulled out the Cards and looked at her options. Shadow? No… Firey… no… She went through the entire deck and sighed.
“Windy, push him far away from here.” Sakura hated having to give up, but she realized it was the best option. When her work was done, Windy flew back into Sakura's hand.
 
 
“What?! A metamorphose?!” Kero-chan exclaimed.
“That's what Syaoran said.” Kero became even more surprised.
“WHAT?! That Li kid?!” Sakura had forgotten Kero's feelings towards Syaoran.
“Oh… uh, yeah. He just came back.”
“Well, he sure has a lot of nerve to come back after what he did to you.”
“Please Kero, don't say that. You don't know the whole story.”
“All I need to know is that one day he packed his bags and left, leaving you heartbroken. Not that I approve of your choice…”
“My choice?”
“You're an amazing person, Sakura. You could have chosen anyone.” Tomoyo finally spoke up. Sakura blushed.
“It's not that I chose him…” Sakura said bashfully. She rose from the chair in her room to lean on her windowsill.
“The only good thing that came out of that Li kid,” Kero whispered to Tomoyo, “was Sakura's motivation to train.”
Ever since Syaoran left, Sakura had tried to forget by practicing extremely hard with the Sakura Cards. Since he had been gone, she knew how to release up to four or five Cards at once (depending on their rank), how to sense any type of aura, and how to hide her own. She had grown so strong she could lend magic to the guardians and her staff had once again evolved. Tomoyo, of course, filmed almost every practice.
“Well, on the bright side, Sakura has a chance to use her new and stronger powers.” Tomoyo said cheerfully. “And, I have new adventures to film!”
“Ah, Tomoyo-chan. Years gone by and nothing has changed.” Kero said.
 
 
Syaoran climbed back into the limo and handed the driver what he owed.
“I expect that you won't mention this side-trip.” The driver looked at Syaoran through the mirror. He examined the cash and replied.
“What side-trip?” Syaoran smiled slightly.
Being in Tomoeda again was like a dream. So many memories, good and bad, took place here. He realized then just how much he had changed because of this place, and because of Sakura.
“Well, it turns out we probably will be late.” The driver informed him.
“I'm not in much of a hurry.” Syaoran replied coldly.
The rest of the trip went by silently. Syaoran stepped out of the car and looked at the house he was approaching. It was monolithic.
Impressively huge gardens, fountains, and patios decorated the outside of the mansion. Many rooms--- far too many than necessary--- branched out of the majestic mansion and added to the splendor. Just looking at it made Syaoran feel small, and he didn't like it much. No matter how impressive, it was still a torture chamber trying to trap him inside forever. He hated it on sight.
An employee of the manor was there to carry in his bags. Syaoran of course did not let the poor guy take all of it in, feeling a little bad about thinking of him carrying it through the empty halls of the mansion. The driver sped away to park in one of the many garages.
Once inside, Syaoran got a good look at the interior. It made him a bit depressed because it was very beautiful but probably never appreciated by the owners. Antique vases, chandeliers, and furniture was placed in various places inside the mansion, none of it dusty yet never touched. It was cold and empty, and Syaoran feared that was what would become of his life if he married someone he did not love.
A maid showed him to the parlor where many of his relatives and people he had never seen were enjoying a brandy. Old men talked about money, old women talked about old men. And in the corner of the room, his aunts, uncles, and mother discussed marriage between him and three people he did not recognize.
One was old, a man, with a scruffy beard and professional appearance. The other was a woman who was fairly young and dressed in a business suit, who looked as if she made life business wherever she went. The other was an older woman who wore pearls and fur, and was especially terrifying. All of them just wreaked power and money.
“Ah, Syaoran-kun.” His mother, Yelan Li, noticed his entrance. He walked over to her slowly, feeling every step grow heavier. “This is my only son, Li Syaoran.” Syaoran politely bowed.
“Hmm.” The old woman crowed. “He is strong, and healthy. I suppose he is a good match for my grand-niece.”
“A marriage to my daughter would create a powerhouse in business.” The young woman added. “Very good match indeed.” Syaoran just stood there, hating the feeling of being paraded like a show poodle.
“Yes. It is very smart. I'm glad you agree.” Yelan Li replied.
Syaoran stood silently and solemnly, giving no attention to the conversation. He knew he should care because of the impact on his future, but he was paying attention to the house. He felt as if he had been there once… but no memories came back. While the adults babbled on, Syaoran tried with all his might to recall as the déjà vu felt like an itch he couldn't reach.
 
 
“Sakura, I have to be going now.” Tomoyo waved goodbye to Kero and Sakura walked Tomoyo to the porch.
“See you tomorrow then.” Sakura cheerfully said.
“Yeah, see you then.”
“Bye Tomoyo-chan!” Sakura yelled as Tomoyo strolled down the street. Just as soon as Tomoyo turned the corner, Sakura went into her house. She searched the fridge for something to give Kero and to feed herself.
“Pudding!” Kero exclaimed. Although he was small, Kero could knock you down for sweets. Sakura gave him the pudding quickly to avoid that.
“Kero-chan, how exactly do you fight a metamorphose?” Sakura asked. After a few spoonfuls, Kero responded.
“Metarphose magic is simple. If you pour water on them, they can become the water. If a breeze blows by, they can become the air. Assuming they are powerful enough, of course.”
“Powerful enough?” Kero ate a few more scoops before responding again.
“Yup. The easiest is lightning. That's because it is fast, and just requires a quick bolt of power. Then comes water, because it is easy to manipulate since it moves so easily. Then, there is shadow, which is easy to control but also easy to defeat. You just need a flashlight.” Sakura was listening intently. She wanted to be ready for next time, if there was one.
“The there is earth. Earth comes in two forms: rock and sand. Sand is difficult because it can move apart easily; while for magic to be used one must be together. So the magician must control every single grain of sand to be effective. Rock is easier, but nonetheless difficult. It demands that the sorcerer's body become a wall of power, so as to give the sorcerer a body that is as impenetrable as rock.” Kero stopped for more pudding. Sakura waited for a minute, and then grew impatient.
“You forgot air Kero-chan.”
“I did not forget, I just want to eat!” Sakura sighed.
“This is a bit more important than pausing for sweets.”
Nothing is more important than stopping for sweets.” Sakura admitted defeat to Kero's stubbornness and waited till he had gobbled it all up.
“Finished now, Kero-chan?”
“Why, yes I am. Thank you.” Kero smiled cheekily. “Now, where was I?”
“Um, rock?”
“Oh, yeah. Then comes fire. Fire is very draining to a metamorphose because it requires fuel to keep burning, just like it would at any time. But if a magician using metamorphose magic can endure it, fire is powerful weapon.” Kero explained.
“Then, lastly, there is air.” Kero said. “Air is the most difficult. Air requires the separation of every single cell, while the metamorphose must control the separation so as not to split into different parts.” Sakura was beginning to understand.
“So I can never use Windy if I ever fight the metamorphose again.” Kero nodded.
“If you do, there is no way to force him into his original shape, or his human form.”
“When I was protecting Tomoyo and Syaoran from the lightning, I did not see anyone. Was the magician the lightning?”
“No. Windy caught him elsewhere. He was controlling the lightning. Metamorphose can control the elements I mention as well, but to do that they must be in their original form. You said once Windy caught him, that the lightning stopped, correct?”
“Yes.”
“Then he must have formed himself as air at that moment. No metamorphose has ever had the power to dominate an element and become one at the same time. It would kill them. And besides, they can't become lightning, they can only create it. Lightning disappears once it strikes.” Sakura was bit confused.
“I thought you said metamorphose magic was simple.”
 
 
Tomoyo rang the intercom and got one of the maids, who let her immediately. Once inside her house, Tomoyo's mother rushed towards her.
“Ah, you're home!” She grabbed Tomoyo by the hand and pulled her to another room. They stopped at a dark red wooden door, and her mother poked her head through. “She's here now!”
“What…” Tomoyo said, obviously confused.
“Good news, darling.” Her mother fixed Tomoyo's ivory hair and smoothed out her clothing. “Your relatives came to town for the event.”
“What event?” Tomoyo was completely lost.
“Oh, of course! I didn't tell you! Well, I suppose it is a surprise then.” Her mother swung the door open to reveal many people sitting down, most of them old, save for one person.
“Come in, come in! Syaoran, this is your bride-to-be, my darling Tomoyo.”
The two friends locked eyes, both of their mouths and eyes wide open.