Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardcaptors: An Encounter with Rage-Ch.2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: Hello again! I don't have much to say this time(shocker!)except that I hope you enjoy this. Just wait until you get to the end! Thank-you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter. Don't forget to review this one as well! Anything you would like to comment on is welcome. Anything......although, *sniff* if you're going to write something negative use constructive criticism please. Word of warning, if you haven't read the prologue and/or chapter one do so now! Before you read the fic or this very likely won't make very much sense. Thank-you. On with the fic!
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors or any of it's characters, episodes, or merchandise, so please don't sue me!
Cardcaptors: An Encounter with Rage-Ch.2
Clow Reed was here.
A lone figure sat in the upper-most boughs of a large oak tree, looking out over the park. He had first felt that meddlesome sorcerer's presence before dusk. He had decided to bide his time though, as he still was not familiar with this time and place. He could have called the others back, but, he would prove once and for all, that he was more powerful than Clow Reed!
~
"What do you mean he hasn't been seen since I left?" Sakura asked uncertainly, feeling the ground under her feet turn to mush.
"Just what I said," Madison replied uneasily, not sure how Sakura was taking the news. She had wanted to postpone talking about this for as long as possible......things weren't working out quite as she had planned, "No one really knows what happened to Li. For all I know, Li might not even be in Japan anymore."
"What about Meilin?" Sakura asked desperately, grasping for straws. Meilin would know where Li was. Meilin always knew where Li was.
Madison coughed. "Meilin got married last week."
Sakura's jaw dropped. "Meilin? Meilin Rein? Our Meilin? The one who was obsessed with whatever Li said or did? You've got to be joking."
Madison shook her head even though Sakura couldn't see her, "Nope, and you'll never believe who she married." Madison paused for dramatic effect. "Zachary."
Sakura nearly fell off the bed. "What!? No way! Those two never got along together, I don't think they've ever even exchanged two words before," Sakura pointed out perplexed.
Madison shrugged. "I don't know. About four months ago, they seemed to just.....notice each other, I guess. It was like a whirlwind romance." Madison said dreamily.
Sakura was in a fine state of shock. "Why didn't you tell me?" she asked.
"Well," Madison said, scratching her head. "I didn't want to write anything in relation to Li incase you decided to ask about him. I didn't know what to tell you." Madison confessed sheepishly.
"Well, if you hear anything, or see Li, tell me O.K.? I could really use his help." Sakura was at a loss for anything better to say.
"Sakura? You alright? I know you two weren't the closest but you did get along, sort of." Madison added.
"Yeah, I'm fine." Sakura assured her. "Bye."
"Bye."
Sakura hung up the phone. Kero floated over to the bed and sat down, looking at Sakura curiously. "So? What's going on with the kid?" he asked.
"I don't know," Sakura said distantly. What had happened to Li? Why did he leave? Where did he go? "Apparently, Madison doesn't know where Li is. No one does."
Kero folded his arms. "Huh, figures that kid wouldn't be around when you needed him." Kero flew back to his drawer, yawning, not overly concerned. "If I were you, I'd get to bed. We've got to be up early tomorrow to try and find those Clow cards."
Sakura nodded and got ready for bed. As she turned out the light, one thing was still going through her head,
"Where are you, Li?" she whispered.
____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________
When Sakura woke up the next morning, it was to the sound of birds chirping outside her window. Sakura rolled over groggily, getting ready to go back to sleep, when her bedroom door slammed open. Sakura bolted upright in bed.
"Squirt! It's time to get up!" Tory yelled. As he headed back out the door with a smile on his face, he added, "After all these years you're still a late case."
"Tory!" Sakura screamed, throwing her pillow at him just as he shut the door. She could hear him laughing all the way down the hall. "Jerk." she muttered.
Kero's drawer opened. He popped out holding his head. "I do not need this first thing in the morning."
"Who are you telling?" Sakura asked as she got up and threw on a white short-sleeved shirt and blue jeans. She twisted her hair up and stuffed it into a baseball cap. "So what are we doing this morning?" she asked.
"Well, first," Kero said seriously, "We eat!" Sakura rolled her eyes. "Then we go see if we can find anything the Clow cards might have gotten into."
Sakura picked Kero up and put him in her shirt pocket. Then she headed downstairs and towards the kitchen.
Her father was sitting at the kitchen table reading a newspaper and Tory was leaning against the counter munching a piece of toast.
Mr.Avalon looked up from his paper, "Good morning, Sakura." he greeted.
Tory's attention immediately fixed itself on her shirt pocket. "You've still got that thing? And you still carry it around with you?" Tory finished off his toast. "I think you have some major childhood issues you need sorting out."
"Morning to you, too, Tory." Sakura said sarcastically. Sakura grabbed some toast from the table and made for the door.
"Where are you going?"
Sakura froze. She turned to look at her father. Whoa, she thought, talk about deja vu. "I was just going for a walk, Dad. It's been a long time since I was last here and I wanted to get used to things again." she said quickly.
Mr.Avalon put down his paper. "Do you really think you should be going out alone? It's not safe for a woman to be out by herself, not even during the day."
Sakura looked at him quizzically. "I'll be fine Dad, but if you're worried I'll call Madison." she compromised.
He didn't seem satisfied. "Still, you said so yourself, you haven't been back for a while. What if you get lost? Maybe Tory should go with you."
Sakura was about to protest when sudden enlightenment dawned. She walked back to the kitchen table and gave her father a huge hug. "I'm coming back, Dad. I'm not going anywhere." she whispered.
Mr.Avalon smiled. "I know, I just....it's been a long time since I got to fuss over my only daughter."
Sakura kissed him on the cheek. "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I'll see you at lunch." Sakura turned around and walked out the door and into the fresh morning air, smiling. Her smile didn't last long, though, as she remembered what Madison told her about Li.
"Kero? What do you think happened to Li?" she asked, looking to the Guardian Beast of the Seal for an answer.
"I have no idea, Sakura," Kero replied. "But, we're going to need him in the fight against the Clow cards." Kero sighed. "If you only knew how to use your magic you inherited from Clow Reed, then we'd have a better chance."
Sakura looked hurt. "It's not my fault." then she looked sternly at Kero. "But that's not why I asked. I'm worried about him Kero."
"Why?" Kero asked, completely uncomprehending.
Sakura glowered at him. "Because Kero, he was, is, my friend. We've been through a lot together. I'd hate to think something had happened to him."
"That annoying baka!?" Kero asked perplexed. "The first day he was here he tried to beat you up!" he reminded her.
Sakura smiled, remembering. "I don't think he would have actually hurt me, Kero. He just wanted the Clow cards."
"Oh, well, that makes it alright doesn't it?" Kero said, because in fact, it didn't.
Sakura looked at him sternly. "Well everything turned out O.K. didn't it? He helped me capture all the Clow cards and was even semi nice about it sometimes."
Sakura and Kero were approaching the park and a few people appeared up ahead. Kero immediately went limp in Sakura's pocket and Sakura walked into the park, passed the people, and went into the trees without looking any of them in the eyes. When she was a good ways away from anyone, namely out of hearing distance, Kero came back to life,
"I still don't see why you're so worried," Kero held up his arms in a defensive gesture. "No, not because of that, I understand that he was your friend, but because, in case you've forgotten, Syaoran happens to be a skilled warrior. I'm sure he'll land on his feet, so to speak."
Sakura's expression brightened, "You're right Kero. Li is a fighter. He can take care of himself, but still, the sooner I see him again the better." Sakura paused, trying to push the subject of Li out of her mind. "O.K. Kero, we came out here to try and find a Clow card. So let's do that."
Kero held up a warning finger, "We only want to find them Sakura. You're not ready for a direct confrontation yet. Just keep a low profile. If we do happen to find one, keep yourself at a distance and just observe it." Kero reminded.
Sakura nodded. "So what do I do? I can still sense them like the other Clow cards, so that should still work, right?"
Kero nodded. "That's right. But be cautious when you're probing for them, they may be able to tell you're looking for them and either run, or attack."
Sakura nodded, closing her eyes. She concentrated, keeping her mind completely blank so as not to alarm the Clow cards to her presence.......
There! She felt something. Whatever it was, it was close. It felt similar to a Clow card, but subtly different, as if there was something there that just hadn't been with the other Clow cards. Suddenly, the card rapidly changed it's position. Sakura latched onto it, determined, desperate. She would not lose this card!
Sakura opened her eyes. "It's this way," she informed Kero, heading deeper into the woods. The thing was still moving rapidly, not moving away from her, just sort of, jumping and dodging around casually, never moving more than a dozen metres away from her. Sakura kept a hold on it.
A jogger abruptly rounded a corner in a bend of the trail and almost ran into Sakura. Sakura blinked and looked up into the man's face, prepared to apologize, but the look in his eyes paralyzed her.
The emotion behind those eyes was rage, white, hot, rage. She didn't think she'd ever seen anyone look as angry as he did at that moment. He looked like he wanted to kill her.
Then, the emotion seemed to completely drain out of him, not a single sign left to indicate he is, or was, the slightest bit upset. He smiled at her politely and with an, "Excuse me," jogged past her back up the path.
Sakura stared at the man's back in confusion, and dread. "Kero? Did you see.....?" she began.
"Yes," Kero said. "That wasn't his rage that took over, that was a Clow card's doing."
"So we're getting close," Sakura said quietly. Kero flew out of her pocket and flew up just above Sakura's head, on guard. The sense of the Clow card grew inside her head. It was extremely strong now, and Sakura knew it couldn't be more than a few feet away. She crept off the trail quietly and headed towards a small, enclosed clearing, towards the place where she sensed the Clow card.
~
He could feel him getting closer! Clow Reed was just within his reach! He could feel his energy. Ah, but revenge was sweet! Soon, soon he would show Clow Reed who was the strongest, the smartest, the most powerful! And he would finish off Clow Reed all on his own.
~
Sakura walked into the clearing warily. Something didn't feel right. The Clow card was here......but where? She couldn't see it and couldn't quite pinpoint it's exact location. Kero flew on ahead of her, looking around for himself, apparently able to sense something as well.
Sakura's only warning was a sudden spike in the card's energy before she was tackled from behind. Sakura grunted as her body forcefully hit the ground. She landed on her stomach, whomever attacked her on top of her. Sakura tried to roll out from underneath her attacker but found herself helplessly pinned.
The stranger leaned down towards her and Sakura felt his warm breath waft past her ear, "Now," a masculine voice whispered softly, "You shall feel my wrath, my rage! Feel what it is like to know you have been defeated, Clow Reed." and with that shocking announcement, he got up off of her and roughly flipped her over and onto her back, causing Sakura's hat to be knocked off and her hair to come spilling out.
Sakura found herself looking into startling blue eyes, eyes that were filled with shock. "You are not Clow Reed." he said dumbly, as if he couldn't believe it.
Sakura sat up carefully, refusing to break eye contact with him. "No," she said cautiously, "I'm not."
They continues to stare at each other for a few milliseconds before a streak of yellow lightening rushed past her, and then in front of her, acting as a barrier.
She blinked. Kero?
The stranger's eyes had also caught sight of the approaching Guardian Beast of the Seal. When Kero had stopped in front of Sakura, the stranger sneered, "Kero Beros," he said, utter contempt dripping from his voice. "Clow Reed's ever present apprentice." he gave Kero a once over. "What has your mighty master done to you? An experiment gone bad? Or perhaps he realized your real purpose in life and turned you into something accordingly, although, I think a lap dog might have been more appropriate." Kero didn't respond. "Speaking of your Master, tell me, where is he now? I can sense him on the girl. What sort of trick is this? Has he disguised himself mayhaps? But no, he would not be so foolish as to leave his energy so easily detectable. Where is he?"
Kero studied the man for a brief second before casually dismissing him with his eyes. The man's lips tightened at the subtle insult. "Where have you been? That's right...." Kero said as if he just remembered, "You've been trapped in that cave these past centuries. And that's exactly what it's been. Centuries. You fool, not even Clow Reed could have survived this long."
The man took a menacing step forward. "What are you saying?"
"I'm saying," Kero spoke as if addressing a child. "Clow Reed is dead."
The stranger stood stock still for a moment, his face utterly devoid of emotion, before suddenly striding forward and plucking Kero out of the air with one gloved hand. "You lie!" he shouted, his eyes churning like a boiling sea. "The sorcerer cannot be dead. I shall not be denied my revenge! He will pay!"
Kero couldn't breath, nor could he break free of the furious man's grip. Suddenly Sakura appeared in his line of vision and grabbed the man's arm. Kero tried to warn her off, tell her to get away as fast as she could, but only managed to let out a wheeze.
Sakura yanked. "Let him go!" she warned.
The man's eyes flickered for a moment, then broke contact with Kero's and fastened on Sakura. Suddenly, he let Kero go. Kero fell to the ground coughing. The stranger grabbed hold of Sakura's arm.
"Hey!" she growled, ineffectually trying to pry his fingers away. He ignored her efforts.
His attention fixed itself back to Kero. "Then who is this!? She positively reeks of him!"
Kero refused to answer.
The man threw Sakura towards Kero, disgusted. Sakura fell to her knees beside Kero and grabbed him up quickly. "Who are you?" she demanded.
The man executed a mocking bow. "I am Rage." he said quietly. He raised his arms.
"Run." Kero said.
"What?" Sakura asked, disbelieving.
"Run." he repeated.
Rage's energy began to build.
"But I can fight him! Kero, just let me...."
"I said run! Don't question me just do it!" Kero ordered.
He said it with such panicked urgency that Sakura didn't question him this time.
She ran.
Sakura raced out of the clearing as fast as her legs would carry her. She tried to get back onto the park path, but she couldn't seem to find it. Sakura risked a peek over her left shoulder, and was glad she did. Sakura dove to the left with a cry as a white blur whizzed by her head and thudded into a nearby tree. Sakura did a tumbling roll to the ground. She whipped her head around and stared in horror at the object embedded in the tree.
It was a sword.
Sakura struggled to her feet but fell back with a whimper as her weight landed on her left foot. Sakura scooted back against a tree trunk, breathing heavily, her gaze darting around, looking for Rage.
"Kero," Sakura whispered. "I don't think I can run. I think I twisted my ankle."
"It's O.K. Sakura, we'll get through this." Kero reassured her.
Sakura nodded. Her gaze crept back towards the sword and was horrified to realize it wasn't there anymore. Sakura stood up on one foot, bracing herself against the tree for support. She took out the Key of Clow and prepared to transform it,
"Oh, Key of Clow......" she began.
"No!" Kero hissed.
Sakura looked at him in bewilderment and frustration.
"You cannot let him know who you are! He's just toying with you right now, you amuse him. Trust me, if he had wanted to impale you with that sword he wouldn't have missed. If he sees the Key of Clow, figures out that you're related to him, it would only enrage him."
"So what am I supposed to do!?" she asked with anger born from desperation.
"We bide our time, and hope we get a lucky break." Kero said.
Well that's just great, Sakura thought, A lucky break....when does anyone ever get one of those when you need them?
The Mistress of the Clow cards and the Guardian Beast of the Seals sat in silence, anticipating the worst. Throughout the wood was an eerie silence, not a bird chirping, not a single gust of wind. Sakura stood at rigid attention, listening for the slightest sound. She kept putting a little bit of her weight on her left foot, hoping that the pain would abate soon so she could get out of here. For what seemed like an eternity, the two sat there, dreading the moment Rage would show himself.
Sakura had had more than enough, and she was a little more than angry at Rage for toying with them this way. She put her foot down and pressed experimentally.
Nothing. Good.....
"Kero, we're getting out of here, now." Sakura stepped away from the tree and made to get out of there,
"I did not give you permission to leave."
Sakura whirled around, clutching Kero to her chest. There he was, leaning against a nearby tree trunk, arms crossed, studying her with a slightly puzzled expression, like he couldn't quite figure her out.
Sakura stared back, stubbornly refusing back down. Rage had intense blue eyes, they seemed to stare straight into your soul. He had long angel white hair that flowed untamed down his back. A few unruly strands had separated themselves from the rest to frame his face.
And, oh, what a beautiful face he had.
His features were delicately sculpted, as if an artist had taken great care in putting his features onto paper. His eyebrows were arched and his complexion fair, but his beauty did not detract from his masculinity. His clothes were best suited for the Medieval times. He wore a white long sleeved silk shirt and black pants with black boots. He also wore short black gloves over his hands.
Sakura's gaze drifted down to something strapped to his waist. She blinked. It was a sword. The same sword, she realized, that had almost split her skull in two. That bit of reality snapped her out of her thoughts sufficiently enough for her to remember that he was a Clow card, a murderer who wouldn't think twice about killing her or Kero.
Sakura took a step back. He took a step forward. Sakura bolted, Rage ran after her. He stepped into her path and blocked her way.
"What I don't understand," Rage began, "Is why you have the sense of Clow Reed, and why Kero Beros is with you."
"Let me pass." Sakura said quietly.
"Or what?" Rage opened his arms wide, inviting her to do as she would. "The only way you will leave is by defeating me, which is highly unlikely, or telling me who you are."
"Don't do it." Kero warned.
Rage's face twisted with anger. "I have not asked for your opinion, wizard, nor do I want it!"
Kero jerked out of Sakura's protective embrace angrily. "I'll say what I wish, card." Kero sneered. "And I wish for you, and the others like you, to go back to where you came from! Oblivion!" Kero shouted.
Rage exhibited signs of why they called him just that. His eyes dilated and his nostrils flared. Before Sakura could help Kero, Rage's arm shot shot out and he knocked Kero into a nearby tree. Kero slid to the ground, dazed.
"Kero!" Sakura shouted, worried. She went to comfort him.
Rage took hold of her arm forcefully, "Now, you will tell me what I want to know." he demanded.
Sakura's other hand came up with a snap and slapped Rage across the face. His head jerked back in surprise. He slowly turned his head back towards her, revealing a red mark on his skin, blemishing his pale skin.
Sakura glared at him. "I'm not telling you anything you cold hearted bastard." she said quietly.
Rage just stared at her until Sakura became nervous. Then his eyes narrowed and his grip on her arm tightened. Suddenly, Sakura didn't think striking him had been such a good idea.
Rage flung her away from him. Sakura landed solidly on her hip, wincing. "If you will not be cooperative, I have no need of you." he unsheathed his sword and held it in front of his face in a salute. Then he lowered himself into a fighting stance and with a cryptic remark, "Say hello to Death for me," he charged.
Sakura closed her eyes. Not enough time to get out of the way, she thought, and no time to call upon a Clow card. I'm sorry Dad, Tory, Madison. I said I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, looks like I was wrong. And I'm sorry Li, that I didn't get a chance to see you again. Good luck in your fight against the new Clow cards.
All of this passed through Sakura's mind as she prepared herself for the end,
But it never came.
Suddenly strong arms were lifting her up and away from danger, away from Rage's oncoming sword. It ended up striking the grassy earth instead.
Sakura opened her eyes. She had been saved by a brown haired, brown eyed stranger, his expression as cold as steel.
There was something familiar about that hardened, closed expression. It almost looked like......
But it couldn't be.
Except it was.
His hair was a little longer, and his expression was colder than she ever remembered it being, but, he was without a doubt.....
Li Syaoran.
Rage looked up at Li, who had jumped onto a tree branch, with unconcealed annoyance. "And who are you? You have no right to be here, I have no qualm with you. Leave." he ordered.
Li ignored him. "Time card! Freeze the moment!"
Everything in the immediate area ceased to exist in the normal flow of time. Li quickly sprinted out of the vicinity, using the Jump card to gain extra momentum. Sakura hung on for dear life. She hadn't frozen along with everyone else because she had been in physical contact with Li when he initiated the Time card.
Li came to a skidding halt. He glanced over his shoulder to see if the card had somehow managed to find them. Satisfied that he hadn't been followed, Li released the spell the Time card had created and everything returned to normal.
He set Sakura down gently and asked, "Are you hurt?"
Sakura shook her head. Then she smiled. "I am so glad you showed up when you did. I didn't think I was going to get out of that one."
Li shrugged, unaffected by either her apology, or the fact that she had come so near death. "You should get home now. Next time, be more careful. Talking to strangers is never a good idea." Li turned around and started walking away.
Sakura could not believe her ears. Had Li just patronized her? He had treated her like a child! "W-what did you just say to me?"
Li glanced over his shoulder, surprised to see her still there. "You heard me." was all he said.
Sakura was hurt. After all this time, this was all he could say to her? Sakura became angry. "I am most certainly not going home! In case it escaped your notice, that was a Clow card back there, and you need my help to capture it."
Before Sakura realized what was happening, Li had her arms in a death grip. He leaned in close, staring into her eyes with a deadly calm. "How do you know about Clow cards?" he asked softly, dangerously.
Sakura stared at him, wide-eyed. What was wrong with him?
When Li didn't get an immediate answer, he shook her slightly. "Answer me." he ordered harshly.
This was too much. First, she's attacked by an incredibly strong, lethal, psychotic, Clow card, and now Li looked as if he wanted her dead as well.
Li's grip on her arms tightened. "Who are you and how do you know about the Clow cards?"
Sudden realization dawned on Sakura. He didn't recognize her. And somehow, that hurt more than anything else had today. "Li, you don't know who I am?" Sakura asked in a hurt voice.
"No, why? Should I? And how do you know my name?"
Sakura couldn't believe it. He doesn't know who I am. How could he not know who I am?! Sakura's pain abruptly turned to anger. She jerked herself out of Li's grasp roughly. "Oh, I don't know Li, you tell me. How do I know your name? I've only fought beside you a countless number of times, saved your life, and been your friend. So you tell me, Li Syaoran, how it is I know your name and know about the Clow cards. I know about them because I sealed them!" Sakura shouted the last three words at him.
Li stared at her, his composure cracking. "I don't believe you." he said simply.
Sakura couldn't believe it herself, but not for the same reason. "Are you calling me a liar?" she asked incredulously.
Li shook his head, as if trying to dispel the vision in front of his eyes. "You look like her, you sound like her, god.....you even act like her. BUT YOU AREN'T HER!!"
"Li," Sakura said heatedly, "I am Sakura Avalon."
"No!" Li reeled back. "You're not her, you can't be her!" his voice turned to steel and took on a desperate edge. "You're another one of those Clow cards. You pretend to be her, to plague me! Just like the visions you've been sending me. I've seen her death over and over again, in my head." Li unsheathed his ancestral sword. "You're not Sakura. Sakura's gone and she's never coming back. Begone!" Li swung his sword.
"LI!"
To be continued.......
______________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
Evil cliffhanger, eh? I didn't even know I was going to end it like that. What's wrong with Li? And what's going to happen to Rage, who has a striking resemblance to a certain *cough* Miliardo *cough* Peacecraft *cough*. ^_^ My fault entirely. I just love him! Anyways..... before you kill me for that downright wrong ending, keep in mind that you need me around if you want to read the next chapter *_^ Keep an eye out for it though because I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it out. I hope it will be soon. See you all later!!