Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardcaptors: Explanations-Ch.3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: Hello again! Sorry it took me this long to get this posted. There won't be such a long wait for the next chapter. Don't forget to review! Thank-you to everyone who remembered to review the last one, and remember, all comments are welcome.
Note(that I put in every chapter): If you haven't read the previous chapters go back and do so NOW! And don't forget to review them as well. Remember.....I'm watching you 0.0
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors or any of it's products, characters, or episodes and am not getting paid for this, so don't sue me!
Cardcaptors: Explanations-Ch.3
For the second time that day, Sakura ran for dear life. She could hear Li shouting at her from behind,
"That's right, run!! I'll find you, and when I do I'll destroy you!"
This was really too much. What was wrong with him? It almost looked as if he was mad(as in insane, people) for a moment. He certainly acted as if he was. What was she going to do now? Li can't help her, not when he wants to kill her, she has a Clow card after her, and not to mention the fact that she hurt like a bitch!
Sakura had dozens of little scratches on her face and arms from running carelessly through the woods. Her clothes were torn in various places, her hip hurt, her chest felt like it was going to explode, and her legs were on fire. Not to mention her upper arms. They were going to be black and blue before the day was up from Rage and Li's rough handling.
She couldn't deal with this right now, there was way too much to think about. As soon as she saw Kero she'd tell him about Li, maybe he could.....
Sakura stopped running as she realized, in horror, that Kero wasn't with her. He was still back in that clearing somewhere, hurt, maybe unconscious. Sakura bit her lip. How could she have left him there? She didn't care what Kero said, she was using the Key of Clow and she was going back to get him.
"Let's see if I remember how to do this," Sakura closed her eyes. "Oh, Key of Clow," she began the chant.
When the Key transformed into her wand, Sakura immediately took out a Clow card. "Fly card, release and dispel! Fly card!" Sakura hopped on the Clow wand and flew up above the trees. Wary of Rage, and of Li, Sakura flew over the clearing where Rage had first shown himself. Sakura searched frantically for any sign of Kero from above. She dared not get any closer though, in case she ran into one of the two men. Sakura searched the entire length of the park woods, never once finding any sign of Kero.
Sakura decided to head back for home. She knew she shouldn't leave Kero out here by himself, but with the state she was in, Sakura figured she'd be doing both of them a favour if she came back to look when she was more alert. Besides, Kero knew what he was up against, he could handle himself. He'd lye low until she found him.
Sakura landed just outside of the park. She put the Key of Clow away and began to walk home dejectedly. She vaguely noticed that people were staring at her. She didn't care. She knew with brutal certainty that, at this moment, she was completely alone. No Kero to give her advice, no Li to help her battle the Clow cards. She couldn't go to Madison for help because she'd only end up putting her in danger as well. She couldn't go to her family because they knew nothing about her and the Clow cards. Sakura wished she could have told her family, especially Tory. She could really use their support right now.
Sakura walked up the drive to her house. She opened the door quietly, hoping that no one would notice her. She needed to get upstairs and change before.....
"Squirt? Is that you?" Tory yelled from the living room.
Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no. Don't get up, don't walk in here. "Yeah, it's me," Sakura said, hoping she sounded normal.
"Sakura? Are you O.K.?" Tory asked.
Damn! He knew something was up. He never used her name unless it was something serious or he was worried about her. "I'm fine, Tory. I'll be in my room."
Sakura raced up the stairs, wincing with every step she took, hoping that Tory wouldn't come looking for her. She opened her door and entered her room. She shut the door and leaned against it, placing her forehead against the wood.
She wouldn't cry, she would not. Despite her best efforts, Sakura could feel her eyes filling with unshed tears. She felt an almost irresistible urge to start laughing. God!...... she was such a wreck! She knew she needed to be strong, but all she wanted to do was crawl into a corner and cry.
Sakura shook her head. Snap out of it Sakura! How is this going to help solve anything? Get moving! Sakura dragged herself over to her bed and sat down. Right, first thing's first. Kero. I've got to find him as soon as possible.
Sakura tried to stand back up, to get some new clothes out of her dresser, but found that every nerve ending screamed when she attempted the feat. She was getting stiff from this morning. This, is not good, she thought.
There was a knock on her door, then Tory stuck his head in, not waiting for an invite, "I know you said you were fine Squirt, but I just thought......oh my God! What the hell happened?!"
Sakura closed her eyes. Oh great, and here I thought things couldn't possibly get any worse.
Tory rushed over to the bed and took Sakura's face into his hands, examining her closely.
Sakura jerked back, "It's nothing, Tory, I'm fine."
"Like hell you are!" Tory said with vehemence. Sakura stared at him. "Who did this to you? What happened? When I find them....."
"No one did this to me Tory," Sakura looked down at her hands. "I-I tripped and fell in the woods." which wasn't so far from the truth.
Tory eyed her disbelievingly. "Whoever you think you're protecting," Tory began slowly, "Or if he threatened you into silence, don't worry about it. You can tell me Sakura. Tell me." he coerced.
Sakura looked into his eyes. She wanted to tell him, she really did, but, Sakura lowered her eyes again. "I told you, no one attacked me. I fell."
Tory sat there for a few moments, not understanding why Sakura wouldn't confide in him, and hurt because she very obviously didn't trust him enough to do so. "Fine," he replied. "I'll go get some water and peroxide to clean those cuts."
"No, that's alright," Sakura said quickly. "I can do it myself, besides, I have to change. I need to go out and....." Sakura trailed off, realizing by the expression on Tory's face, that she shouldn't have said that.
"You're not going anywhere! What are you....a machine? And where could you possibly need to go with the shape that you're in?" Sakura didn't answer. "Didn't think so. Now, you get changed if you want to, but you are not leaving this house anytime soon." Tory headed out the door. "I'm going to get some water."
Sakura slumped back on her bed with a defeated sigh. How was she ever going to find Kero now? Sakura narrowed her eyes in determination. She didn't care what Tory said, she was leaving to find Kero, with or without the medical attention she probably needed. Sakura dug into her pocket and pulled out a Clow card,
Closing her eyes, she whispered, "Mirror card! Help me fool Tory so that I might get away, Mirror card!" There was a brief flash of light, then Mirror appeared, an exact replica of Sakura. "Keep Tory busy until I get back, and make sure you act exactly like me." Sakura reminded.
Mirror smiled.
Satisfied, Sakura went to her window and silently opened it. Looking out at the large tree that took up residence not a few feet away, Sakura gulped. At any other time Sakura would have had complete confidence in being able to jump and successfully grab hold of the nearest branch. But now, Sakura bent her arm at the elbow experimentally, and winced. Just great. Well, she'd have to risk it. She couldn't use the Fly card, too many people around. Sakura took a deep breath.
One, two, three,........
Sakura jumped.
She caught hold of the nearest branch with one hand, she brought the other one up. Well, this isn't so bad, she thought. Then she attempted to pull herself up, and nearly let go of the branch. Whenever she put any pressure on her arms they wanted to buckle.
Sakura just hung there, two stories up, breathing deeply. "O.K. Sakura, you can do this," she encouraged herself quietly. Holding her breath, Sakura pulled herself upwards, inch by painstaking inch, until her arms started shaking so badly that she would have been surprised if the tree didn't start vibrating. Finally, she managed to get her left shoulder over the tree branch and pull herself all the way up.
She sat there, on the tree branch, massaging her arms for a few moments. After moving them back and forth, to make sure she could move them, Sakura started back down the tree. It wasn't nearly as hard getting down as it had been getting up.
As Sakura jumped the last few centimeters to the ground, she thought she saw movement off to her right. Sakura froze. Was it her Dad or Tory? Or worse....Rage or Li? Sakura got ready to call upon a Clow card if necessary.
A yellow popped out of the grass.
"KERO!!" Sakura crowed happily. She picked up the Guardian Beast and squeezed. "I'm so glad to see you! I thought something awful might have happened to you."
"Sakura," Kero wheezed. "I can't breathe."
"Oh," Sakura put him down. "Sorry," she said sheepishly. She sat down on the grass.
After catching his breath, Kero glanced at Sakura. "Oh, Sakura," he breathed, staring at her face and torn clothing. "I'm so sorry. I should have warned you, prepared you. Now look what it's gone and done to you." Kero said quietly, referring to the Clow card.
Sakura smiled a wobbly smile. "I'm fine." she reassured him. Kero's expression changed so fast that Sakura blinked, wondering if she'd imagined the change.
"Why aren't you in bed?!" Kero glowered at her. "You shouldn't be up and walking around in your condition."
Sakura frowned. "I was coming to save you. And what condition? I'm not pregnant so don't treat me as if I were."
Kero harumphed and folded his arms. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. You shouldn't have worried." Kero paused, looking at Sakura. "Something did surprise me though. Someone unleashed the Time card." Kero peered up at her. "I thought you said the Kid was a no show?"
Sakura bit her lip. "About Li," Sakura glanced back up at her window. "I have to talk to you. Come on," she said wearily, heading back up the tree.
"Sakura, you really think you should be doing that?" Kero asked worriedly, floating near her head.
"If I've done it once I can do it again.".....she hoped. Well, if she fell flat on her ass she could blame it on her sneakers.
She hauled herself back up into the tree, wincing and muttering a string of curses under her breath. Pulling herself up onto the last branch, she said, "The things I do," and hopped back onto her window ledge. She poked her head through the window and took a quick look around, her body followed her head's example.
Mirror was sitting on her bed, in the exact position Sakura had been in.
"Has Tory come back yet?" Sakura asked. Mirror shook her head. Sakura nodded. "Good job. Return to your power confined." Sakura whispered.
Mirror smiled and turned back into an inanimate object. The now resealed card floated back to Sakura's waiting hand. She put the card back in her pocket and sat herself down in the vacated seat of Mirror.
Kero floated onto her dresser. "So what's up with Syaoran?" Kero asked again.
Sakura was about to reply when she heard Tory's footsteps coming back up the hallway. "Hide." Sakura whispered. Kero dove into his drawer.
Sakura's bedroom door opened and Tory appeared, carrying a small bowl and a wash cloth. He clutched a bottle of peroxide under his arm. He came and sat himself down beside her and placed the bowl on his knees. He dunked the cloth in the water and squeezed out the excess water. He held the cloth in front of her face,
"I'm going to clean those cuts now." he informed her, fully expected her to protest and start talking nonsense again about getting up and going out.
Sakura smiled brilliantly. "Good, they sting."
Tory looked at her like she'd grown horns, knowing instinctively, that something was up due to her easy acceptance. "You're not going anywhere?" he asked slowly.
"Of course not Tory, why would I possibly need to go anywhere?"
Tory shook his head, confused. Deciding Sakura was in shock, he dismissed her odd behaviour. He applied the wet cloth to her face.
"Ouch!!" Sakura growled, jerking back.
One side of Tory's mouth lifted up in the hint of a smile, he couldn't help it. "Did you think this would feel like a warm summer's breeze?" he asked sarcastically.
Sakura glared at him. "No, but you could have warned me first." she grumbled.
Tory shrugged. "Sorry."
~
After Tory left, Sakura tapped Kero's drawer to let him know it was O.K. to come out.
Kero floated onto the bed. Looking her over, he said, "Well, you look much better." he commented.
"Thanks." Sakura said.
"The Kid?" Kero asked.
"Oh, right," Sakura said, worried anew.
"What is it?" Kero asked, peering into her eyes. "What happened?"
Sakura related what had happened after he had been out of commission. She explained about Rage, and about Li. "It was so..... horrible Kero. You should have seen the look in Li's eyes. He looked, lost, almost, like he was trapped in a world of his own and couldn't get out." Sakura paused. "Kero, I don't think Li's completely sane." Kero was silent, thinking. "What do you think happened to him that could have driven him to that?"
"Well, your leaving, for one thing," Kero began.
"What!?" Sakura gasped, her eyes as wide as saucers. "Are you saying this is my fault?"
"No, I didn't mean it that way," Kero quickly explained. "What I meant was that your departure from Japan could have opened a door."
"Huh?" Sakura asked, clueless.
"I mean, that someone was waiting for the perfect opportunity to get into Syaoran's head. When you left, the Kid's mind must have been fragile enough to breech."
"Whoa! Wait a second, who would want to do that to Li in the first place? Who could do that to Li, period? And how was my departure from here able to affect Li's mental stability so badly that someone could have done.....whatever it is they did to him? It's absurd! There's no way Li could have let something like that affect his thinking. This is Li we're talking about."
Kero looked Sakura steadily in the eyes. "I guess the Kid must have cared about you enough for him to become distressed when you left." Sakura looked at him as if he had gone mad. "I'm serious. He said the visions started right after you left. That means whoever was sending them knew you had gone and that it was the perfect time to strike."
"But who would do such a thing, Kero? No one could. You're talking about putting visions in people's heads! It can't be done! No living.....what is it?"
Kero's eyes had widened as a revelation struck. "Li thought you were a Clow card, that's what he called you, right?" Sakura nodded. "And what was it he said? He said you had been sending him visions, but by you he meant a Clow card."
Sakura looked dumbfounded.
"Don't you see? He realized it, he must have sensed it. A Clow card has been sending him these visions."
"But, Kero, that's impossible! What Clow card could have the power to do that? Illusion would be the only possible fit, but that possibility is out of the question."
"There is one." Kero said quietly.
Sakura just looked at him. "I seriously hope you're not talking about the new Clow cards. If you will recall, they've been trapped for hundreds of years, and were only set free two days ago. Li has been having these visions for five years now, since I left." she pointed out.
"This Clow card might have been able to bypass the confines of it's prison, so to speak, to find a way to leak a little of it's power out and into the world."
Which card is it?" Sakura asked, dreading the answer.
Kero looked away. "Insanity."
Sakura stared at him. "Well,....I suppose that makes sense," Sakura said. "But I still don't understand how it could have 'leaked' it's power enough to influence Li."
Kero spread his arms. "The Insanity card.....knows things. It has visions of it's own to go by, pathways and possibilities. The card must have been given a vision that would have shown him how to do what he did."
"But why Li?" Sakura wanted to know.
"Insanity must have been able to see who you were, a potential danger, and he must have been able to see what Syaoran is. Descendant of Clow Reed, warrior, and most importantly, your protector. He would have wanted you separated, make sure you were alone." Kero explained.
Sakura rested her chin in her hands. "So you think this is what happened?"
"It makes sense." Kero said.
"So what am I supposed to do about this? Hunt down Insanity and capture him?"
"You won't be doing any hunting down of any card, especially Insanity. He's tricky."
"Well, what am I going to do, Kero!?" she cried out, frustrated, feeling useless. "I can't leave Li like that. I've got to help him."
"You will, you will," Kero assured her. "Just not that way. You've got to break Insanity's hold over him without confronting Insanity himself."
"How?"
"You need to use something stronger than what Insanity's using to control him."
"He used my death," Sakura said, thinking out loud. "So all I need to do is convince Li that I'm not really dead. That didn't work out so well the last time." she muttered.
Kero nodded. "And remember, you must have something strong enough that will break Insanity's hold on Li's mind."
"O.K." Sakura agreed, thinking up ways in which she could accomplish this.
"Leave it," Kero said. "We've got bigger things to worry about right now."
Sakura looked at him incredulously. "Like what?"
"Rage," Kero reminded.
"But,"
"No buts, Syaoran isn't a danger to himself or others at the moment. Rage, on the other hand, is definitely a problem concerning the latter. Let me tell you what I know of him,"
"Rage is an expert swordsman. The best, in fact. He studied under the masters in his time, and he trained ferociously, night and day. He had a real knack, talent, when it came to swords. None of the other cards could match his skill. He simply was the best, and still is I'd wager, even if he is a bit rusty."
"Rage pictures himself as a real gentleman and places great value on honour. He would not attack you from behind or unannounced."
"Well maybe you should have told him that when he jumped me from behind." Sakura said dryly.
"That was different, he thought you were Clow Reed, the man who had imprisoned him. He was acting on vengeance. Unfortunately, he often lets revenge cloud his vision."
"He is very determined. Once he has his mind set on something, he does not let it go easily. He is also very powerful," Kero paused. "I would have hoped that you wouldn't have had to encounter him until much later, when you knew more about the cards. I should have known he's waste no time in looking for you, or rather, Clow Reed. God, he's tenacious."
"Well that's just wonderful." Sakura sighed, weary, "Kero, I'm really tired of this, of Cardcapting, I mean." Sakura looked out her window. "When I left, I thought I had put all that behind me, except for you that is," Sakura smiled to let him know she meant no offense. "I thought my life was finally going to be normal again, and now this happens." Sakura rested her head on her knees. "I just want a normal life." she whispered.
Kero floated over to her. "I know Sakura, do you think I like chasing Clow cards? No way. And do you think I like being a stuffed teddy bear?" Kero snorted, needing no words to get his feelings across on that subject. "But the point is, Sakura, there is no one else."
Sakura lifted her head to look at him.
"You may not have wanted or asked for this, but what's done is done. You can't go back." Kero paused, his eyebrow twitching, "And besides, people need you Sakura. They may not know it but they do. Without you, what would they do about the Clow cards?" Kero ducked his head and said in an embarrassed voice, "And if you weren't Mistress of the Clow cards, if the Clow cards were never created, I never would have met you."
Sakura gazed at him through eyes that had begun to mist. "Oh, Kero," she whispered. She picked him up gently and brought him close, cheek to cheek, for a hug. "I'll always be here, Kero. You'll always have me."
To be continued
_____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Awwwwwwwwww. That last bit was so sweet! *sniff* I'm going to cry, where are the tissues? O.K, O.K., I've got myself under control. So? What did you think? I know this chapter wasn't nearly as exciting as the last, but, I can't have all my chapters be like that. Well, I could, but then this would be a short series ^_* Please read and review. Tell me what you thought, and if you're nice, I'll consider bringing in another Clow card next chapter. :) See you then!