Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Cardcaptors: Clow Reed's Mistake ❯ Cardcaptors: The Wisdom of Love-Ch.12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By Maurynna
Author's Note: Hey you guys! Out before the weekend, like I promised, and longer as well. ^_^ Enjoy!! Don't forget to review!! And if you have any questions, anything you don't understand, I'll be happy to answer them for you. I just want to clear up one thing concerning the titles of my chapters. They are just that, titles for my chapters, not my entire fic. If you want to put a title to that, then just use the original Cardcaptors, because that is there in every chapter. I don't know, I just couldn't seem to come up with a title that suited the whole fic, and, besides ^_^ I like giving names to each of my chapters. Anyways, sorry for the confusion ^_^ and on with the fic......
Disclaimer: I do not own Cardcaptors or anything in relation to it. I am not getting paid for this so please do not sue me.
Cardcaptors: The Wisdom of Love-Ch.12
Sakura sat there, in the middle of the park path for she didn't know how long, crying. She was also angry with herself, how could she have let herself think the way she did? Doing so had caused a rift between her and Li, not to mention Kero. They probably thought she was out of her mind, trying to help a Clow card. They were both obsessed with capturing them all and no amount of arguing or reasoning on Rage's behalf would convince them to believe anything she had to say.
Sakura had no intention of getting up. She really didn't feel like going home. She knew she should check on Tory and her father, but, with the capture of the Disease card, they should be back to normal. Besides, if she tried to see them now, they would know something was wrong by her puffy eyes and tear stained face.
All of a sudden, Sakura heard footsteps coming up behind her. Sakura scrubbed at her face ineffectually, trying to erase the evidence of her sorrow. She realized that she had yet vanish the Clow wand, and if she wanted to remain a Cardcaptor in secret, then she had better do so. Sakura stood up after turning the wand back into the key and moved off of the path slightly, not wanting to get in the person's way. She bowed her head as well, trying to look as if everything was all right, and at the same time, trying to hide her face.
The footsteps got closer and Sakura thought she recognized the familiar gait, the steady pace. She glanced up curiously as a man came into view, as he got closer, Sakura's eyes widened as she realized who it was,
~
A man sat by a brook, sitting on a rock and sharpening a sword. His white, silk shirt was unbuttoned at the top and his long white hair fell about him in disarray, hanging over his shoulders and down his back. He held the sword between his knees, sharpening it with a stone, until the edges were deathly sharp.
Rage glanced up at the sky, temporarily stopping in his work, to admire the baby blue view. He had come here shortly after Sakura had left, the very same clearing in the park's forest where they had first met. To take his mind off of Sakura, he had set himself the task of getting his beloved sword back into tip top shape. However, as he sat there and gazed up into the clouds, he found himself dwelling on her courageous bravery once again.
Rage shook his head slightly, trying to get these unbefitting thoughts out of his head. He went back to sharpening his sword. He knew he shouldn't be thinking such things, and yet, he couldn't seem to help it. The more he saw her, the more he wanted to be around her. And the damnable thing about it was........he couldn't. She was Clow Reed's descendant, never should he forget such, and therefore, not, under any circumstances, attainable. Although, he had stopped feeling any sort of vengeance for the small, green-eyed beauty, these thoughts, these very thoughts that he was thinking now, had stopped making him angry altogether. He still knew he shouldn't be thinking them, but he didn't get angry over them any more, as he should. That, he supposed, should have scared him.
He put the stone he was using down and picked up his sword with his left hand. He smiled slightly as memories came rushing back. His sword masters, if they could be called such, Clow Reed, and his fellow cards, all could never understand how it was he could have gotten to be as good as he was. Especially due to one specific fact......
He was left handed.
To get the best performance out of a sword, so every knight, warrior, or knave believed, you had to be right handed. History proved as such. Rage wanted to laugh. He had proved them wrong, hadn't he? But then, his thoughts turned down a darker path. The fact that he was left handed in the first place suggested he was.....different. The opposite of what he should have been, the oddball. Mayhaps that should have been a sign to everyone else then, including himself, what path he would decide to take back then.....
Rage shook his head again. He must stop thinking of such things. Those were over and done with, in the past, and there was no changing them. But he would make up for it now, oh yes, he most certainly would. And he would do so by killing that annoying boy who had been with Sakura. Killing Clow Reed's descendant would settle the score.
Rage drew his thumb along the edge of his sword. The blade was so sharp that it sliced his thumb. Rage smiled, satisfied. He brought the injured digit up to his lips and sucked the crimson blood away. When he took it back out of his mouth, the small cut had already closed. Rage smiled a small smile, his kind always healed fast.
Rage stared at his sword absentmindedly, his thoughts already turning back to Sakura. What was he going to do about this? He knew that she should be included in his revenge, but, the thought of hurting her, for some reason, didn't sit well in his stomach. He still didn't know what these thoughts and feelings meant, having never experienced them before. But one thing was clear in his mind, he could never let her know, never let her gain any leverage over him. If she knew his weakness, and he was sure it was that, then she would surely use it against him, use it to her advantage as much as she could. That thought did not sit well with him. But maybe, maybe, he was wrong?
Rage mentally shrugged. He would never give her the chance to let him find out. It was better this way, he convinced himself. He glanced up at the sky once again, his eyes sad. It was better this way.
Behind Rage, a shadowy figure crouched low to the ground. The cover from the trees and the sunlight from up above provided such a mix of light and dark, that it was hard to distinguish that much about the figure. But there was enough light to tell the figure was male, with brown hair. At his side rested a sword. He was careful not to move it too much in case it caught and reflected the light, therefore, alerting Rage to his presence.
When he was sure Rage was sufficiently occupied in his work, the man began to creep forward silently. He kept his energy down to a minimum so that Rage would not sense him. His breathing calm and even, he snuck up to within a few inches of Rage's back, still undetected. The man raised his sword and without a second thought, brought it slicing down to cleave Rage in two.
~
"Yukito," Sakura whispered. The person who had been coming up the park path had been Yukito.
Yukito stopped and stared for a moment. "Sakura? What's the matter?" he asked concerned, well aware that she had been crying.
Sakura scrubbed at her face again. "Nothing," she lied. Then, looking up into the calm, concerned eyes of Yukito, Sakura abruptly burst out in tears again.
Yukito came forward quickly and cradled Sakura to him gently. "Shh," he soothed, handling her as she were the finest china, as if she would break in his arms. "It's all right. What's the matter?" he cooed.
Sakura clutched onto Yukito's shirt as if it were a life line. "Li h-hates me-e!!" she wailed into his chest, still enough in control to remember not to mention Kero.
Yukito looked down at the top of Sakura's head, puzzlement now mixing with concern. "Now, I'm sure whatever happened, Sakura, that Li doesn't hate you." Yukito said matter-of-factly, because he honestly believed what he said. There was something between those two, even though it seemed as if neither realized it.
Sakura raised her head and looked up into Yukito's eyes, her lips quivering and her eyes huge and shimmering. "You, you think so?" she questioned in a small voice, sniffling.
Yukito smiled gently. "Of course I do."
But Sakura's lips began quivering all the harder. "But how can you be so sure?" she cried. "You don't even know why he hates me."
Yukito sat down slowly on the grass, taking Sakura into his lap with him. He took her chin into his hand and made her look into his eyes, "So why don't you tell me about it?" he suggested quietly. "It might help."
Sakura nodded her head jerkily. "We, we h-had a fight." she said slowly, trying to figure out how she could best tell him what she needed to tell him without saying anything about Rage. "He had gotten into a fight with another guy, and, and I separated them. But when it was over I-I kind of took the other guys side over his and now he's mad at me!!" she finished, feeling like she was going to burst into tears again. She started hiccuping.
Yukito rubbed her back in a soothing manner, trying to quell her tears and her hiccups. "Well, there you go," he said, as if everything made sense now. Sakura looked up at him, puzzled. Yukito smiled back reassuringly. "You said that Li was angry with you. Anger and hate are two completely different things altogether. I know, that no matter what happened between you two, that Li could never hate you." Yukito shrugged his shoulders. "You two have been friends for a long time, you two don't have it in each other to hate one another. I'm sure that Li will forgive you in time." Yukito assured her.
Sakura looked down at her hands, which were bunched up in Yukito's shirt. "I don't think he will." she said quietly. "He really doesn't like this other guy."
Yukito looked at her like she should have known better. "He will forgive you Sakura, trust me. He cannot stay angry with you forever now can he?"
Sakura glanced up at Yukito's kind and caring face, then back down again. "I guess not."
Yukito patted her on the back. "Of course not. Do you feel like you could stand?" he asked gently.
Sakura nodded. Yukito stood up, still holding onto Sakura, just incase.
Sakura glanced once again at her fingers and Yukito's now mangled shirt. She smoothed the fabric down awkwardly, trying to get the wrinkles out. "Sorry," she murmured.
Yukito smiled and shook his head. "Don't worry about it. You're more important than this shirt. I'm just glad I found you when I did."
Sakura looked up at him. She smiled as much as she could. "Yeah, me, too." she said. Then she frowned as something occurred to her. "Don't you have work to do today? Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious, but, why are you here instead of doing whatever it is you have to do for the excavation paperwork?"
Yukito pushed his glasses back up onto the bridge of his nose, thinking, "You know, that's a good question." then he grinned, closing his eyes. "I felt like there was something wrong. So I told everyone I was going for a walk, and somehow, I end up here. Weird, huh?"
Sakura peered intently into Yukito's eyes for a moment, then, in a whisper, she said, "Thank-you Yue." Yukito's eyes flickered, and Sakura thought that, for a moment, it had been Yue looking out at her from behind those eyes.
"What did you say Sakura?" Yukito questioned. "I didn't quite hear you."
Sakura smiled. "I said, I'm glad you're here. Wanna walk me back to my house?" she questioned.
Yukito bowed gallantly. "It would be my pleasure." and off they went.
~
The sword came slicing down but ended up bouncing off of the rock where Rage had been sitting not moments before. The man whirled around quickly, knowing that he had to keep Rage in his sights at all times if he wanted to have any chance at winning.
Rage stood just behind him, a slight smile on his face but steel in his eyes. His sword was held loosely at his side in his left hand, and he raised it now in a salute. "You almost had me, my friend, but you are far too slow."
The man regarded Rage with determination in his own eyes, "It is not that I am slow, it is that you are far too fast for your own good." he raised his own sword. "I have been looking for you,"
Rage crouched down, ready to strike like an ever patient leopard. "And now you have found me."
They both sprang at each other. The man brought his sword across quickly, bringing it into contact with Rage's sword that had been on a downward arc, straight for the man's head. The man jumped back from Rage and tried a few quick cuts and parries. Rage blocked each of the man's attempts. The man made a quick lunge for Rage's right side, which he had thought to be unprotected, but had soon found out otherwise. He soon found himself on his back, his sword knocked out of his hands. He tried to get back up quickly but found Rage's sword tip resting against the edge of his throat.
Rage looked down upon his prey with annoyed eyes. "I should kill you for that pathetic attempt. You did not even last five minutes." he said accusingly.
The man on the ground held up his hands in surrender. "Hey, I'm rusty. Cut me a break. Besides, if you killed me, who would you have to keep testing you like I do?"
Rage stood there a moment, a smile tugging at his lips. Finally, giving up, he let the smile loose. He sheathed his sword and extended a gloved hand, saying, "Mayhaps I should kill you. Your puny attempts to best me only end up wasting my time."
The man on the ground took the offered hand and hauled himself up and off of the ground. Keeping his hold on Rage's hand, the man looked Rage over. Apparently satisfied about something, he grinned showing his teeth. "Rage," he greeted warmly.
"Love," Rage greeted back, just as warmly.
Then they were embracing and patting each other on the back. When they pulled apart, Love said, "It is good to duel with you outside of that cave. I was hoping that, perhaps, you might have given me a fighting chance this time?"
Rage gave him a look. "The day I let you win will be the day hell freezes over. How are you supposed to learn anything if I let you win our battles?" Rage shook his head sadly. "I keep hoping you'll learn something one of these days, but, I fear that, alas, I may be wrong.
Love went to pick up his sword. Sheathing it with a wry smile on his face, he said, "You know, you could have a little more faith in me. One of these days, I just might surprise you."
Rage crossed his arms over his chest. "Not bloody likely. Face it, you know your abilities never lay with swords. Your abilities are better put to use with the ladies."
Love smirked. "Ah, yes. The women, how I do miss them so." he said wistfully.
Rage sat back down on his rock. "I'm surprised you haven't found some sort of tavern that they have these days and surrounded yourself with women, like you always did."
Love grinned. "Yes, well, I figured I had more important things to do. Finding you for one." Love brushed a strand of his long caramel hair out of his eyes. His hair was exactly as long as Rage's and exactly the same except that the colour varied. He was also the same height as Rage was. In any woman's standards, he was handsome, very, and he had boyish good looks to compliment that fact. He was just as beautiful as Rage was, except he lacked the maturity and heavy responsibility that Rage possessed.
"You know," Love continued, putting his hand under his chin and looking for all he was worth like he was pondering the most important thing in the world.
Rage held up his hands in self defense. "No, do not start this again."
Ignoring him, Love said, "You could be very popular with the ladies yourself." Rage groaned. "No, really. If you would just smile every once and a while, and I don't mean those pathetic attempt at smiles that you always assume, I mean real smiles. The ladies love that. Of course," Love said frowning, "As soon as you open your big mouth you end up scaring all of the gals away. I wonder why that could be?" Love looked pointedly at Rage.
Rage stood back up and walked towards him. "Look, I've told you before, no matter how hard you try, you will not turn me into the rogue that you are. I want nothing to do with those type of women that fall all over me, they're disgusting."
Love peered at Rage. "God, you're picky." he stated. "But that still doesn't explain why it was that way back when, if I recall, you ended up making a girl cry."
Rage glared at him. "How many times are you going to bring that up?"
Love looked at the sky. "Oh, as many times as I can. Why?"
Rage sighed. "Look, she was following me around. I swear I don't know what I did that gave her the idea I was remotely interested in her, I didn't even exchange two words with the tramp."
Love tsked. "You don't have to. A simple look from you in their direction will have them hooked." Love winked. "Believe me I know."
Rage sighed again. "Well, put it this way, I could have run her through, god how I wanted to. But instead, when I got the chance, I pulled her into a side alley and told her just what I thought of her. How was I supposed to know I'd send the lass into tears?"
Love shook his head at a lost cause. "Look Rage, just because you have power over the ice, doesn't mean you have to include that ice into your personality. Drop the mask for once, and let someone in."
Rage turned around. "I tried that once, remember? and it blew up in my face. I'll never do so again."
Love regarded his long time friend sadly. "I wasn't talking about that, Rage." he said quietly, apologizing. "I meant, open up to a woman. They can provide comfort when you're feeling low."
Rage looked over his shoulder. "You mean sex?"
Love shrugged. "If it suits you."
Rage looked up into the sky, laughing harshly. "Unlike you, who is supposed to be all about love yet went horribly astray somewhere, I have never been able to get that close to a woman who I have not....." Rage trailed off.
Love looked at him curiously. "Who you haven't felt something for?" Rage didn't reply. Love shrugged. "You don't have to get close to them to have a good night, if you know what I mean."
Rage turned around suddenly, what looked like anger shining in his eyes. Love took a nervous step back, confused. As fast as the anger appeared, it disappeared. Rage's eyes went blank and his mask of ice reinserted itself. "I could never do that Love, and I'm sorry to say, but what you do sometimes disgusts me." especially now, he realized, thinking of Sakura.
Love might have looked a bit guilty. "I know you're not like that, believe me, it didn't take me a century to figure that out. But sometimes, I just think that you'll be lonely forever Rage." he confessed. "And I know that you are. Lonely, that is."
Rage kept his face absolutely blank. How Love could be so perceptive about things like that he'd never know. Even though Rage knew it was Love's job to be that perceptive, Love just didn't act like it. And as to being lonely, well, he supposed Love was right for all that. He had always been alone, and he figured he probably always would be. He thought of Sakura, and what it would be like to be with her, and found that his loneliness dispersed somewhat at the thought of her being bound to him in some way. He wanted to sigh, if only things could have been different. Why did she have to be that dratted sorcerer's descendant? Couldn't things ever work out for him?
Rage's mind snapped back to the present as Love suddenly strode up to him and gripped his shoulders. Rage tried to pull back but found that Love had a pretty tight hold. "Love, what are you doing?" he asked, taken aback.
Love didn't reply. He just stood there, his hazel eyes staring intently into Rage's ice blue ones. Rage was getting a bit nervous, something that didn't happen too often, and felt the urge to push Love away. What did he think he was doing?
Suddenly, Love released Rage, and he stepped back, his eyes wide. "I don't believe it." he whispered.
Rage looked at him warily. "What?"
Love's look of astonishment changed to one of amusement. "You, my friend, are in love. Who is she?" he asked slyly.
Rage just stared at him as if he'd lost his mind. Finally, he exploded, "I'm not in love!"
Love nodded, grinning like an idiot. "Oh, yes you are, you most definitely are." he scratched the back of his head as a second option to laughing his head off. He figured if he did that, Rage would kill him. But he couldn't resist keeping his mouth shut, "I must admit though, I never thought I'd see the day some broad caught your eye. So what's so special about her that sets her apart from the others?"
Before Love quite grasped what was happening, Rage had him by the throat, "Be careful of what you say." he advised quietly.
Love held up his hands and wheezed, "I'm sorry, did I say broad? I meant wonderful, spectacular, beautiful, gorgeous, woman." Rage snorted and released him. Love started coughing, but through his coughing he was still grinning. "And that proves you feel something for her." he concluded.
Rage stood and let everything sink in. It did make sense, that would explain the intense attraction and the need to be around her so much, and, of course, the thing that should have tipped him off in the first place, the fact that he couldn't kill her. Rage slumped down on his rock and groaned. "What am I going to do?"
Love looked at him, half amused, half bewildered. "Do? You sound like it's the end of the world, man! Just go up to her, tell her how you feel, assuming your big mouth doesn't get in the way, and she should take to you immediately! What girl wouldn't?"
Rage looked up at him with what looked like pleading in his eyes. Love, having never seen anything remotely like that in Rage's eyes before, started to worry. "You don't understand."
Love crouched down in front of him. "What is it? Is she dying or something? Is she married? You could always kill off the husband you know."
Rage looked at him with dead eyes. "No, worse. She is Clow Reed's descendant."
Love fell flat on his ass. "Eeh! You can't be serious!!" he exclaimed from his position on the ground.
Rage nodded. He felt like killing something. "Completely and utterly serious."
Love started laughing. He really couldn't help it. Through half closed eyelids, Love saw Rage's eyes narrow dangerously, and he knew that if he didn't stop laughing soon, he was going to get it. Trying to calm down, he said, "Don't do anything I'll regret!" he said in-between guffaws. Finally, when his laughter had died down enough where he could speak successfully, Love said, "It's just, when you finally do find love, you find it with the girl of your sworn enemy. But then, with you, I shouldn't be surprised. You always have to do things the hard way." and then he started laughing again.
Rage fought the urge to skewer his long time friend. "If you were in my position, you wouldn't find this so funny."
Love stopped laughing and grinned the grin he was so fond of grinning(^___^) "Ah, but, you see, I would never be in your position because I have taken great care to not get involved with any one woman. But, I can see you didn't seem to have a choice, did you?"
Rage sighed. "Oh, would you stop laughing, you idiot, and take this with the proper seriousness it deserves. What am I going to do?"
Love stopped grinning, with effort, and considered. "Well, you could kill her, as I'm sure you had planned to do at first, or, you could not kill her and, ah, join her, or, tell her how you feel." he suggested.
Rage glared at him. "That doesn't help. And join her? I could never. Not after what happened before. It is absolutely out of the question."
Love looked at him, a little sympathy creeping into him. "You know," he said gently. "History doesn't always repeat itself. Maybe, just maybe, things would work out right."
Rage looked at Love, amused. "I'm due to fight her tomorrow." he said.
Love smiled wryly. "Well, that helps the situation immensely." he said sarcastically. "So, why don't you just.....not fight her?" he suggested. To him, it sounded perfectly reasonable.
To Rage, it was out of the question. "Impossible. I gave my word, I must fight her." Rage's eyes turned to a mournful blue, "And if it is her time to die tomorrow, then it will be."
Love snorted. "Gad, you're such a moron." Rage glanced sharply at him. "Look, oh, just, nevermind. I forgot. Honour is everything to you. You never go back on your word. Well fine, fight the girl, but if you ask me, it's a big mistake." he grinned again. "And, if you ask me, I say, you won't be able to finish her off."
Rage glanced at him briefly. "Well, I didn't ask you now did I?"
~
Sakura had been lucky. After Yukito had dropped her off at her house and gone back to his work, Sakura had found out that Tory was at work and so was her father, so she was able to enter her house without anyone noticing or asking questions.
She headed up the stairs to her room, dreading to face Kero but knowing that she had to. She opened the door and prepared herself for anything, but, Kero wasn't there! Sakura looked about the room frantically, searching for her little Guardian Beast, but not finding any trace of him.
Sakura sat down on her bed dejectedly. She knew that wherever Kero was, it was her fault that he wasn't here. He must be must be more disappointed in her then she had thought. Sakura sighed. Well, she'd just have to wait until he decided to come home.
So Sakura waited, and waited, and waited. Even when she had gotten into bed and had turned out the lights, Kero still hadn't shown himself.
~
Sakura woke up the next morning not wanting to get up at all. There was way too much she had to do today, namely, trying to confront Li and Kero, and fighting Rage. She rolled over in bed, deciding she was going to stay there until she was eighty-two, not caring a wit what anyone else said. She opened her eyes a bit and glanced around. What she found startled her sufficiently enough for her to snap wide awake. Right beside her, on her pillow, was Kero, staring at her.
Sakura sat up and looked at him nervously, not sure how he felt at that moment. "Hi Kero," she started off lamely, "Where were you yesterday?"
Kero shrugged. "I was out, thinking."
Sakura spoke quietly, "What were you thinking about?" as if she didn't know.
Kero glanced up at her. "I was thinking about your decision, about your crazy idea to try and make friends with a sworn enemy." Kero sighed. "I've come to a conclusion," he stated. "You're the card Mistress, whatever decision you make is your responsibility, and, and I will support anything you decide to do."
Sakura looked down at him sadly, "But you still don't approve." she said quietly.
Kero shook his head. "No, I don't. In this, I think you're making a terrible mistake, but, if you think it's right, then so be it."
Sakura smiled, even though this still wasn't exactly what she wanted. "I am right Kero, you wait and see." she got up and quickly grabbed up some clothes.
"What are you doing?" Kero asked.
"I'm getting ready to leave." she informed him. "I figure, Rage is going to come looking for me no matter what, right? Well, I would prefer that he come looking for me somewhere that wasn't my house for the obvious reasons."
"You're going to go do this now!?" Kero asked incredulously, panicking.
Sakura nodded. "I'd rather have this over and done with as soon as possible." then, she secretly thought, I'll know once and for all if Rage is really all he appears to be.
"You're insane." he informed her.
Sakura grinned. "That's not the first time I've heard that."
To be continued......
_______________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Ok, I know that's an absolutely horrid place to end it, but, what can I say? I wanted to leave the duel until the next chapter. So you'll all have to suffer ^^ Ok, here's where I act like that dumb narrator at the end of each episode of DragonBallZ, *ehem*
What will happen next chapter? Will Sakura die in the duel? Or will Rage spare her? Or will something else happen? And will Li ever forgive her? Oh, and what is troubling Rage so? Something from his past is haunting him, but what? Guess, no, you'll never guess. It's just too great!! You will never guess. ^_^ But you're welcome to try. You can put your guesses in your reviews and I'll have fun laughing over them because.....you'll never guess. ^_^a If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you should go back and read chapter eleven and this one especially, because I've dropped enough hints. Oh, and be sure to tell me what you thought of the Love card ;) Not exactly the personality you'd expect from Love, is it? All right, enough gabbering, you've all been lucky this week, considering how it's March break, because if it hadn't been, you wouldn't have gotten so many chapters this soon. Now that March break is almost over, you probably won't get another chapter until next weekend, and if you're unlucky, after. So, keep an eye out if you really want to see what happens!! Thanks for putting up with me and I'll see you then!! ^_^ Bye!!