Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ For the Sake of Friendship ❯ For the Sake of Friendship ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]







For the Sake of Friendship
By: Megori
DISCLAIMER: CARD CAPTOR SAKURA doesn't belong to me, so suing wouldn't help much...since I said I DON'T own it. Thanks for your understanding.
Author Notes: Haven't you ever wondered what it'd be like for Tomoyo and Eriol if things were just a bit different? Let's say, no magic, Eriol and Tomoyo are childhood friends, no Kaho and Sakura to ruin the couple. Now, wouldn't that be great?! Anyway, just read my fic. More notes after...Enjoy! One last note, time WILL fly by like nothing. Okay, ENJOY!

A 5-year old dark blue haired boy with wire-rimmed glasses bowed slowly as the teacher introduced him to his new fellow preschoolers.
"Class, this is Hiiragizawa Eriol from England. I hope you all give him a warm welcome."
His glimmering azure eyes caught sight of an amethyst-eyed female with long purple hair. He smiled as her friend squealed happily, making her blush and turn to her.
"Now Eriol, why don't you take a seat behind Tomoyo..."
Eriol nodded as the teacher pointed him to the direction of his seat. After he took his seat, he turned to the purple haired girl beside him. "Konnichiwa, I'm Hiiragizawa Eriol. What's your name?"
She looked at him and quietly squealed to her auburn haired friend before replying. "Oh, gomen, I'm Daidouji Tomoyo. It's a pleasure to meet you. Wanna be friends?"
Eriol nodded happily. "I'd love to!"
~*~*~*~*~*10 Years Later~*~*~*~*~*
"Eriol-kun, Sakura-chan and Syaoran-kun are going out tonight again," stated the amethyst-eyed female.
The blue haired boy raised an inquiring brow. "And? What's so important about that Tomoyo-chan? They're the cutest couple known in the entire school..."
"I know, but it gets so boring when you're listening to how her date went afterwards," Tomoyo replied as she took her seat before him.
"Well, why don't you just find someone to go out with too then?" Eriol said as he watched her take her seat tiredly.
She brightened drastically. "Will you take me out with Sakura-chan and Syaoran-kun?"
Eriol sweat dropped. "I wasn't really talking about myself, but I guess I could..."
"Oh thank you Eriol-kun! You're the best ever! Now I see why we're best friends!" Tomoyo shrieked happily as she leaned over his desk and pulled him into a tight hug.
The door opened and a short auburn haired female with emerald eyes walked in dragging her bruised boyfriend with amber eyes.
"Sakura-chan?" Tomoyo said as she let go of Eriol's neck and turned to her other best friend. "What's wrong?"
"Syao-kun got into another fight with Kensuke-san...fortunately for Syao-kun he won, but he's a bit..." Sakura stopped as she eyed her beaten boyfriend. "Compressed...? I guess that's what one could say..."
Tomoyo and Eriol stifled a laugh. Tomoyo eyed her best girl, friend happily. "Don't worry Sakura-chan! Syaoran-kun can't be too 'compressed' for your date tonight can he?"
Syaoran raised his head gently and glared at Tomoyo. "And just what are you trying to get at Tomoyo?"
Tomoyo looked at him self-assuredly. "We all know it's your fifth year as a couple today and you wouldn't let a few bruises stop you, would you?"
Sakura sat up straight. "It is Syao-kun! I totally forgot!"
Syaoran groaned quietly. "Sakura..."
Sakura smiled at him. "I think Syao-kun and I will just spend the night in his apartment while I patch his wounds...how does that sound Syao-kun?"
Syaoran nodded. "That'd be nice...thanks Sakura..."
"Tomoyo-chan, what are you and Eriol-kun doing tonight?" Sakura asked as she turned to them. "I mean, you two are usually doing something when Syao-kun and I are together."
Eriol shrugged and turned to Tomoyo, who was also shrugging. "Haven't thought about it yet..."
Sakura nodded as she turned her full attention back to her injured boyfriend.
"Eriol-kun, I guess we can call it off..." Tomoyo said quietly.
Eriol nodded. "Sure, whatever you say is alright with me..."
"Anything I say...?" Tomoyo questioned with an evil grin.
Eriol nodded slowly. "Y...yeah..."
Tomoyo clasped her hands together happily. "Yay! You're taking me to the festival then! And you can't back out cause you said anything!"
"You win..." Eriol said with a sigh. "Girls..."
~*~*~*~*~*After School~*~*~*~*~*
"You're taking Tomoyo-chan to the festival?" Sakura asked with a hint of jealousy.
Syaoran smiled at Eriol evilly as he nodded . "Yep, I'm taking her..."
Syaoran's smile widened. "That's what you get moron."
"Syao-kun!" Sakura slapped his head lightly. "It's very nice of Eriol-kun to take her! Don't be so mean to him!"
Syaoran nodded in reply to her. "So Eriol, when are you two going?"
"We're going at..."
"Right now!" Tomoyo shrieked as she grabbed his arm and waved to her other friends. "I wanna catch every single ride and play every game and..." She stopped as she saw Eriol's head drooping. "That's what you get Eriol-kun! You can say it's my birthday gift since it's just a bit until my birthday!"
"Ne Tomoyo-chan, wouldn't going on ALL of the rides and playing ALL of the games take a bit LONG?!" Eriol shouted with a panic.
Tomoyo tightened her grip on him. "Don't worry Eriol-kun! We'll get everything done by at least 8 o'clock."
Eriol's eyes widened with shock as he tried to pry her arms loose and run off. "EIGHT O'CLOCK?!!"
Tomoyo frowned as they entered the festival and pulled him closer to her. "YOU'RE NOT LEAVING ME HERE! You know how dangerous it can be to leave a female alone in a festival Eriol-kun!"
Eriol's head dropped once more. "Fine..."
Tomoyo cheered happily. "I knew you'd see my point Eriol-kun. You always do. I think that's what makes us such good friends!"
"What? The fact that you get your way because you use threats or..." Eriol said quietly.
Tomoyo smiled proudly. "You're just jealous Eriol-kun...it's quite obvious."
"Oh my gosh! It's ERIOL HIIRAGIZAWA!!!"
Eriol and Tomoyo turned around slowly. A group of females were staring at Eriol with starry eyes and drool coming out of their mouths.
Tomoyo and Eriol sweat drop. "Well Eriol-kun, seems like you got yourself a fan club." Eriol shuddered in disgust.
"He's the star soccer player!"
"He's the top student!"
"He's a babe!"
"AHHH!!" Eriol shouted as they started to run after him. He gripped onto Tomoyo's hand tightly, not wanting to lose her in the crowd of people he was running through.
"Eriol-kun, they're your fans, you shouldn't run from them!" Tomoyo shouted as she looked back to see them (the girls) gaining on them (Eriol and Tomoyo) fast. "Then again, HURRY!"
Tomoyo turned back to Eriol, only to be smacked by some unknown guy, losing Eriol's hand. She fell atop him dizzily. "G...gomen..." She said as she shook herself back to her senses. She looked down at the guy she was on top of and smiled.
He had blonde hair with deep mesmerizing hazel eyes. He smiled at her. "It's okay, I should be the one to be sorry."
Tomoyo slowly picked herself up, completely forgetting about Eriol, who was being dragged off by the girls when he stopped to see where Tomoyo had went. "TOMOYO! HELP!"
"I'm Asaki Takeru," he said as he too, stood up.
"Daidouji Tomoyo," Tomoyo said shaking his hand.
He locked eyes with her once more and smiled. "You're eyes are beautiful."
Tomoyo blushed. "T...thank you..."
"You're not here with anyone are you?"
Tomoyo shook her head, forgetting about Eriol, who was now struggling with his dear life to get free of the females' grips.
"Would you like to accompany me then?"
Tomoyo nodded happily. "I'd love to!"
Eriol watched helplessly as Tomoyo walked off with the new guy she had just met. I thought she was here with me? What's she doing with him?! Hey! Why am I complaining? Eriol shook his head and pulled with all his might to get free, which didn't work at all. He fell to his knees, which was a bad thing, as the group of girls jumped on top of him.
After about half an hour of struggling, Eriol finally freed himself and took off, out of the festival grounds. "Man..(breathing heavily)...what the heck are those girls trying to do?! Tomoyo, you had better HAVE an explanation for this!" He was about to reenter when he stopped, seeing the five girls searching for him near the entrance. He ran off quickly. "I ain't going anywhere if those monsters are there! She can have fun without me!?!"
Eriol ran wildly, looking back every once in a while. I gotta get as far away from it as I possibly can! I am NEVER going back there even if my LIFE depended on it!
"Eriol?" Syaoran said as Eriol ran past him and Sakura.
Sakura raised an eyebrow in confusion. "But what's he doing here? I thought he took Tomoyo-chan to the festival. And why is he running away as though someone's trying to kill him?"
Syaoran shrugged. "Wanna go after him?"
Sakura smiled and shook her head. "Nope, I wanna go to the festival and see Tomoyo-chan. He wouldn't be running away for no reason at all..."
Sakura dragged Syaoran all the way to the entrance and spotted five girls who seemed to be in a search party.
"I don't see him anywhere!"
"I told you guys NOT to jump on him! Hiiragizawa-kun is afraid of girls you know!"
"Us? You jumped on him TOO!"
Sakura and Syaoran sweat dropped. "Well, at least we know why he ran off right Sakura?"
Sakura nodded slowly as she shifted her gaze slightly and spotted Tomoyo with a blonde haired boy. "Ne Syao-kun, who's that guy Tomoyo-chan is with? He looks familiar doesn't he?"
Syaoran nodded. "Yeah, he's the new transfer student. He's alright in soccer. He's the new defense on the team... His name's Asaki Takeru..."
"What's he doing with her?! She's supposed to be with Eriol-kun!" Sakura shrieked angrily. She tugged on Syaoran's bruised arm, making him yelp in pain.
~*~*~*~*~*Eriol~*~*~*~*~*
Eriol came to a complete stop in front of his house, or mansion if you'd like to be specific. Wearily, he held onto the rail and walked up the steps. "Man, I could join the track marathon! I bet I would've won first place!" Eriol sighed and plopped onto the bench on the veranda. He laid his head gently on his arms as he brought his aching feet up. "My poor aching feet..."
"NOOOOOOO!"
Eriol shot straight up immediately, knowing who he had just heard. The front door opened and a long brown haired female ran out with a flaming frying pan.
"EEEKKK!"
Eriol sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Nakuru-chan, you burnt dinner again?"
The female turned to him and smiled weakly. "Oi! Eriol-sama, I thought you and Tomoyo-chan were going to spend the entire day together at the festival. What are you doing back so early?"
Eriol looked at her and frowned. "She found someone else to be with. Why? You got a problem?"
Nakuru let out a chuckle. "Nope, not a problem for me at all! But I think it's quite a problem for you right?" She stared at him intently.
Eriol blushed and turned away immediately. "I don't know what you're talking about! Tomoyo-chan is my friend and that's how it's always going to be!"
"Of course Eriol-sama. Tomoyo-chan is merely your GIRL friend," Nakuru said emphasizing on the word girl.
Eriol let out a small growl. "You should talk! What about Yukito huh? You never told him you LOVED him?!"
Nakuru turned to him with a bright smile. "Ah ha! You just admitted you LOVED her. And Yukito-kun and I are a couple Eriol-sama. We've been dating for the past three years just in case you've forgotten."
Eriol reddened even more. "I NEVER said anything like that! Don't put words in my mouth Nakuru!"
Nakuru put the pan down and walked over to her master, sitting beside him softly. "Ne Eriol-sama, for how long have you felt this way about her? I mean, it's quite obvious to me that you care for her more than just a friend."
Eriol sighed. "Five years...ever since we were ten years old."
"Don't worry about a thing Eriol-sama. Things will turn out for the better. If fate says you two were destined, everything will be alright," she said as she smiled at him reassuringly. "She'll come around one day."
Eriol dropped his head. "She'll never like me Nakuru."
"What does this guy she's with have that you don't? You're intelligent, athletic, adored by all teenaged girls and most importantly, RICH!" Nakuru said happily. Well, she's rich too, but I won't point that out.
Eriol stared at her in amazement. "How would you know if it's a boy or girl she found to take my place huh?"
Nakuru smiled down at him. "I'm not dumb Eriol-sama. I know these things...and so I figured it for myself. Besides, Tomoyo-chan isn't a..." Nakuru stopped and stared at Eriol curiously for a moment. After Eriol realized what she was going to say, he frowned and jumped back.
"No way!"
"That's good," Nakuru said completing her explanation and picking up the pan. "Come now Eriol-sama, dinner is almost ready."
Eriol sighed and followed her into the house quietly. After another ten minutes, Nakuru finally came into the dining room with the food. "Eriol-sama, don't think about it too much. I mean, she hasn't told you she loves him has she? They aren't even going out right?!"
~*~*~*~*~*Tomorrow~*~*~*~*~*
"Oh my gosh Eriol-kun! I LOVE HIM!!" Tomoyo shouted gleefully as she swung him around quickly. "Takeru-kun is the greatest guy I've ever met!"
Eriol eyed Nakuru angrily. She lowered her head and walked back into the house. Trying to think of a reason to get away from her (Tomoyo) he looked towards the gates and saw Sakura and Syaoran. "Sakura-chan and Syaoran are already on their way to school Tomoyo-chan. I guess you'll catch up later?" Before Tomoyo could reply, Eriol dashed out and ran off after Sakura and Syaoran. "Ohayo Sakura-chan! Syaoran!"
Sakura turned around and smiled brightly at him and Syaoran nodded his head tiredly. "Ohayo Eriol-kun!"
Eriol stopped running as he came up to them. "Beautiful weather isn't it? Anyway, what did you two do on your lovely anniversary?"
"As a fact, Syao-kun and I saw you running like mad from the festival, so we went to see what was going on. And what we saw scared us too. I'm sure Syao-kun would've ran away just like that," Sakura said smiling with a finger pointing outwards towards Eriol.
Eriol gulped. "Is that right?"
Sakura nodded. "Then, we saw Tomoyo-chan with Asaki Takeru...Syao-kun told me all about him. Eriol-kun, you know as well as I do that NO MATTER WHAT, you mustn't ever leave Tomoyo-chan with a STRANGER!!!"
Eriol nodded. "Hai, I'm sorry Sakura-chan...but I WAS being hunted down by a group of females!"
"I wasn't done Eriol-kun. Now, as I was saying, it seems Tomoyo-chan likes that guy or something because we saw him holding her hand, and her eyes brightened drastically. Not just that, she KISSED him," Sakura said slowly as she kept her eyes on him.
Eriol stopped walking as he continued to stare wide eyed at the street before him. "She...?"
Syaoran nodded. "Yep, she's in love man."
Eriol shook his head to get the pained thoughts out. "And? Shouldn't we be happy for her then? I really don't see what you two are so worked up about."
"You," Sakura replied quietly.
Eriol shook his head once more. "Me? What's there to worry about? I'm perfectly fine Sakura-chan. I think you worry too much."
"Eriol-kun, it's not just me. It's Syao-kun too," Sakura added.
Eriol turned to Syaoran, who was looking away. "Syaoran? You're worried about me?!"
Syaoran turned to him with a glare. "AND?! You're my friend and fellow soccer player! We NEED you're help man! I can't control the team by myself!"
Eriol smiled. "Thanks Syaoran."
"Matte Sakura-chan! Syaoran-kun! Eriol-kun!"
Sakura stopped and turned to her friend. "Tomoyo-chan! It's nice to see you running to US finally..."
"Well, Eriol-kun ran off without warning, so it took me a while to catch up. And I met Takeru on the way. Look! He gave me a rose!" Tomoyo squealed happily, making Eriol and Syaoran move away from the two girls. "WHAT?!"
Eriol smiled weakly. "I just remembered that it's my turn to clean up...I gotta go...bye!"
"Me too!" Syaoran shouted as he ran after Eriol. "Hey Eriol, wait up!"
"What's up with those two? I thought it was Chiharu and Naoko's turn," Sakura said quietly.
Tomoyo raised an inquiring brow. "It is! Why are they avoiding me?"
"Maybe they volunteered or something," Sakura replied with a questioning look. "I'll ask Syao-kun later."
"Sakura-chan, do you think Eriol-kun is avoiding me?" Tomoyo asked worriedly. "I mean, he'd never run off without me. And then lying so he could get away from me. I know it's only been today, but it's quite an odd behavior from him for even a day!"
Sakura shrugged cluelessly. "Maybe he's going through puberty and needs time alone... you know how boys are when they're going through those stuff..."
Tomoyo nodded. "I guess so..."
"Let's get going Tomoyo-chan," Sakura said as she shrugged off her thoughts. Tomoyo nodded and followed her to school.
The classroom door slid open silently, revealing Eriol under a pile of girls.
"Gagk! Syaoran! HELP!"
Syaoran struggled helplessly trying to free himself from the group atop of him. "Not now Eriol. As you can see, I'm kinda busy!" He pulled his arm loose and held onto the ground, to help him drag himself out.
"I...can't...breathe..." Eriol said gasping for air desperately as he fell deeper into the circling group of girls. "H...E...L...P" Eriol's free hand was pulled in, making his entire body no longer visible.
Tomoyo stared with her arms on her hip, as did Sakura. "Ne, Syao-kun, you had better not be cheating on me with any of these girls!"
All of the girls stopped and stared at the two fuming females by the door. They hopped off and scurried away to their homeroom classes.
"That's what you get Eriol-kun for wanting to leave so quickly," Tomoyo said as she walked by him.
Eriol was sprawled on the floor. His hair was sticking up and his glasses were cracked. His uniform was dusty and ripped. He sighed deeply as he sat up. "Syaoran, remind me never to...(cough, cough) come to class that early again."
Syaoran glared at him. "What the heck are you talking about?! They jumped on me, but all of them wanted YOU!?"
Tomoyo let out a chuckle as she plopped into her seat and stared dreamily at her rose.
"I think I should just stay home today..." Eriol said as he stood up and straightened himself. "I'd prefer it that way."
Sakura looked up at him worriedly. Pain and hurt was shown clearly in his eyes. "Eriol-kun, don't go! I'll keep those girls off of you if you want."
"It's okay Sakura-chan... I think I'll just head home..." Eriol said with a smile. He picked up his bag and walked out the door.
"There he goes!"
"AHHHHH!"
Sakura and Syaoran sweat dropped as they heard Eriol screaming for his dear life. "Tomoyo-chan, Eriol-kun just went home...don't you even care?"
Tomoyo turned to her friend happily. "Ne Sakura-chan, are you and Syaoran going anywhere tonight?"
"Maybe...if Onii-chan and Kaho-san are spending the night at home," Sakura said with a shrug. "Why do you ask?"
"Takeru-kun's taking me out tonight," Tomoyo replied still in her dreamy state. "I've never met anyone as GREAT as him! I can't believe I've never seen it before!"
"What about Eriol-kun?" Sakura asked.
"Eriol-kun?" Tomoyo repeated, her dreamy state disappearing right away. "Ne, where is he?"
~*~*~*~*~*Eriol~*~*~*~*~*
"I can't seem to go anywhere anymore!" Eriol whispered as he ran out of the school gates with half of his jacket gone. His glasses were now completely cracked and one shoe missing. I think I'm going to ask Nakuru for home school after this!
Eriol rounded the corner and dashed up the walkway to the front door. "Nakuru!"
Nakuru was on the porch with a white-ish haired man, presumably her boyfriend Tsukishiro Yukito. "Eriol-sama? What are you doing home already? Eh? What happened to your uniform?!"
Eriol ran up the steps and fell to his knees, breathing heavily as he turned to see no one but his front yard behind him. He turned to the laughing couple and glared. "What would you do if some so-called FANS were jumping on you trying literally to KILL you?!"
"Eriol-sama, you ran away from school because of that?!" Nakuru shrilled giggly. She stood up and put her arms around him. "Well then, let's go in and get you some nice clothes."
Eriol sighed heavily. "Nakuru, I'm taking HOME SCHOOL from now on! I can't take it going to school everyday and being jumped on like that!!"
"Well, it just proves how much females adore you Eriol-san," Yukito said happily. "Now we know for a fact that you're quite popular."
Eriol frowned. "I said I want home school cause I'm NEVER going back there even if my life depended on it!!"
"Then how do you expect to spend time with Tomoyo-chan?" Nakuru questioned curiously.
Eriol pulled himself away from her grip. "I don't know and I don't care. She's even more scary than all of the other girls put together now! She's..."
"Eriol-sama, running away isn't like you. I thought you were brave and courageous," Nakuru said teasingly, trying to cheer up her master.
Eriol's shoulders drooped loosely. "It sure doesn't seem like that anymore. And besides, I'm too late. She's already taken. She said so herself that she LOVED HIM!"
"Eriol-sama," Nakuru said worriedly.
Eriol turned and hit the closed front door. "D...don't worry about me." He shook the dizziness out of his head and smiled at her sadly. "I'll manage. Besides, she's happy this way." He turned back around and smashed his head into door once more, knocking him out cold.
Nakuru gasped. "Well, I guess we don't need to worry about his problem with Tomoyo. It seems we should worry about him trying to walk through the closed door!" She walked over to her fallen master and dragged him over to a couch. "Yukito-kun, could you get the aspirin?"
Yukito nodded with a slight chuckle. "Of course."
~*~*~*~*~*Lunch~*~*~*~*~*
"Nani?!" Tomoyo shouted in surprise. "He left?!"
Sakura nodded. "Yeah, he said that he wanted to stay home, so he left."
"Who wouldn't want to stay home when girls jump him every minute they can?" Syaoran said as he stuffed rice into his mouth.
Tomoyo raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "But don't I always get him out of that situation?"
"Tomoyo-san! Would you like to join me and the others?"
Tomoyo turned around and nodded as she saw Takeru smiling at her. "I'd love to Takeru-kun!"
"He seems like a loser to me," Sakura whispered to Syaoran.
Syaoran nodded. "That's why we made him defense. He can't really kick the ball, but he sure can scare the opponent away from the goal."
Sakura giggled quietly. "Syao-kun!"
"Konnichiwa Syaoran," Takeru said with a smile. "Where's Eriol? Isn't he usually with you? I have a few soccer plays I'd like to try and..."
Syaoran nodded and then shrugged. "He ran off this morning. (whispers to Sakura) Because you (Takeru) scared him..."
Sakura giggled again. Tomoyo glared. "Syaoran-kun, if you're talking about him, I'm going to..."
"Don't worry about it Tomoyo-san. (to Syaoran) Thanks, I'll see if I can give it to him later then," Takeru said waving to Syaoran and Sakura.
"I'll give it to him when I go over his house today," Tomoyo said cheerfully walking away with Takeru.
"Disgusting," Sakura said with her tongue sticking out.
Syaoran smiled. "Isn't he? I don't see why Tomoyo likes him so much."
"Poor Eriol-kun," Sakura whispered. Syaoran nodded. "It's not like me to stick up for Eriol, but really, that guy just isn't right..."
Sakura sighed. "I feel bad for him (Eriol)..."
~*~*~*~*~*Hiiragizawa Manor~*~*~*~*~*
"I'm not signing you up for home school!" Nakuru shouted angrily. "You have to learn how to handle your problems!"
Eriol frowned. "I handle my problems perfectly Nakuru! AND, you're supposed to do what I want!"
Nakuru sniggered at him. "Before your parents had died, you mother had specifically said, "Nakuru, both of us put our trust in you to raise our boy in the best way you possibly can. We want you to know that when he decides upon something and you don't agree, do what you think is the for him" and that proves my point!"
"Well my parents aren't here are they?" Eriol said bitterly.
Nakuru sighed. "Eriol-sama, they entrusted me to do my best for you. And in my opinion, giving you home school will only weaken you. You have to learn how to deal with your problems."
Eriol balled up his fists angrily. "It's not fair...it isn't fair..."
Yukito looked up from the book he was currently reading. "Eriol, nothing is fair in the game of life. You either get it or don't."
"But you and Nakuru are already engaged! You wouldn't know what I'm talking about!" Eriol shouted heatedly.
"Eriol-sama, please. There were times in our lives where we felt just like you...well not exactly like you, but close enough," Nakuru said smiling at him.
Eriol turned towards the back door. "Well if you're not signing me up for home school, I'm going to a private school."
"Home school," Yukito said still reading. "That would be my choice Nakuru-chan. But whatever you say, I'll agree to it too."
Nakuru sighed. "Why won't you go back to Tomoeda High?"
"Because, it hurts too much," Eriol said as he opened the sliding glass door and stepped outside. "It hurts..."
Nakuru nodded sympathetically. "I see...home school it is then..."
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. "I wonder who that could be?" Nakuru looked down at her watch and smiled. "Eh, probably Tomoyo-chan, Sakura-chan and Syaoran-chan."
Nakuru opened the door and instead of finding only three smiling faces, she found two smiling faces and two straight faces. "Oi, oh, welcome. I'll get Eriol-sama...come on in."
Nakuru turned around quickly and dashed out to get Eriol.
"Konnichiwa Yukito-kun," Sakura greeted, now smiling at her brother's best friend.
Yukito looked up and stared wide eyed at Takeru. "K...konnichiwa minna."
"Asaki Takeru," Takeru said shaking Yukito's hand politely. Yukito nodded in reply.
"OI! ERIOL-SAMA! STOP FOOLING AROUND! TOMOYO-CHAN IS HERE TO SEE YOU!" Nakuru shrieked angrily as she saw Eriol running from a few trespassing girls.
"I'm NOT fooling around!" Eriol shouted angrily in reply as he headed for Nakuru. "AHHHHH!" Eriol jumped in and Nakuru shut the door, locking it and turning to him.
"I think I know what you mean now Eriol-sama," Nakuru said nodding her head slowly as the girls ran into the thick glass door.
Eriol sat up on the ground. "I told you didn't I?!"
"Eriol-kun?"
Eriol turned around and smiled weakly at Tomoyo as he saw Takeru holding her side. "Tomoyo-chan, Takeru-san, it's nice to see you..."
Tomoyo frowned and placed her arms on her hips. "You've got some explaining to do buster. 1. Running out of school without telling me. 2. Leaving me at the Festival. And 3. Running away from me this morning TWICE!!"
Nakuru patted Eriol's head gently. "Well, I'll just be calling your new instructor. Have a nice time explaining Eriol-sama...I'll be in the kitchen..."
"New instructor?" Tomoyo repeated when Nakuru and Yukito ran off into the kitchen. "What's she talking about?"
Eriol gulped nervously. "Well...you see...I um...well...I decided to be home schooled."
"WHAT?!" shouted Syaoran and Tomoyo as one. Tomoyo turned to face the fuming Syaoran.
"How could you Eriol?! We still have the championship games!!! How dare you back out on us?!" Syaoran ran up to him and pinned him against the wall as he screamed in Eriol's face.
Eriol smiled weakly. "Syaoran, I don't see why you're so angry. You see, now you get to show off your talents. Aha, you know what I mean?"
Syaoran glared at him angrily. "No, I don't know what you're talking about at all! You're not leaving for home schooling until we win that championship you hear? You HEAR ME?!"
Eriol gulped again. Tomoyo walked up beside Syaoran with a death glare. "And why are you avoiding me?! What? Am I not good enough to be your friend anymore?"
Takeru stared on with a weak smile. Sakura leaned over to him and whispered, "This doesn't happen very often...just to let you know." Takeru nodded. "WELL?!!" Tomoyo persisted.
"I never said I was avoiding anyone," Eriol said as he began to tremble under Syaoran's grasp.
"Tomoyo-chan! Syao-kun! Leave Eriol-kun alone!" Sakura shouted as Tomoyo's glare became even more threatening. "If he wants to be home schooled, so be it! It's his choice! You can't run his life for him Tomoyo-chan! He's not your pet!"
Tomoyo took a deep breath and walked away from Eriol. "Fine, he can have it his way. I hope he's happy though... I don't want to talk to him anymore!" Tomoyo grabbed Takeru's hand and stomped out fuming.
Syaoran let go of Eriol, but continued his glare. "You did it because of her didn't you?! You're gonna abscond the team just because of..."
Sakura pinched her boyfriend's arm, making him yelp in pain. "Eriol-kun, don't listen to them. Syao-kun is just being foolish and Tomoyo-chan will come around again. You two have grown up together, with Syaoran and me, but still, she can't ignore you. I do hope you know what you're doing though."
"Thanks for understanding Sakura-chan," Eriol said quietly, his eyes beginning to water. "It's just that...it...it hurts too much..."
Sakura smiled sadly. "I know it does Eriol-kun...but are you sure you want to shut yourself away from her?"
"That's the only thing I can think of," Eriol replied more quietly.
Syaoran's glare softened. "If you ask me, I think that's plain stupid. I'd never be able to ignore Sakura..."
Sakura glared at him. "Eriol-kun, things will turn out for the best. Tomoyo-chan will come around."
~*~*~*~*~*4 Years Later~*~*~*~*~*
Eriol waited quietly in the park for his fellow friends to arrive. They had asked him to meet them in the park at 10:00 am and he decided to come a bit early...at 8:10 am. Now, it was 9:57 and no one was in view. The park was empty, which was odd and not a single person or car was seen passing the streets.
For the past 4 years, it has been lonely for him. Nakuru had gotten married to Yukito and moved out, though she visits quite often, it just wasn't the same. Tomoyo still kept her distance from him, ignoring him. And Sakura and Syaoran has been engaged for 3 years now. He hadn't been smiling for real in the past four years either. It seems as though as the years drag on, his life worsens.
"Ahhh! Syao-kun! That's it! You're going to get it!"
"Yeah, just try and catch me Sakura!"
Eriol smiled sadly as he heard two of his friends approaching the park. He didn't lift his gaze off the woodchips beneath his feet though, he didn't need to. He slowly began to swing himself.
The sound of someone running stopped suddenly as a pair of white sneakers appeared in Eriol's vision. "Hey Eriol..." And the swing next to him rattled lightly.
"Eriol-kun..."
Eriol looked up and smiled at the young man in front of him and his fiancee, who was sitting in the swing next to him. "Ohayo Sakura-chan, Syaoran-chan."
Syaoran nodded worriedly. "Man, you should really cheer up. That look you have all the time now is scaring me."
Eriol's smile widened just a bit. "Thanks for the compliment."
"You're still not over her?" Sakura asked curiously.
Syaoran walked over to her and knelt down before her. "Sakura-chan, it's really hard for a man to forget the first person he truly loves. Just like it'd be difficult for me to ever forget you."
Sakura smiled brightly and threw her arms around him. "That's so sweet Syao-kun!" Sakura let him go and looked up at the sky. "I wonder what Tomoyo-chan and Takeru-kun are up to though...what's taking them so long..."
"Sakura-chan! Syaoran-kun! Eriol-kun!"
They all looked towards the entrance and found a happily skipping Tomoyo, with Takeru walking behind her. "I'm so happy!"
She ran up to them and dragged Syaoran to his feet, hugging him tightly. "I'm so happy Sakura-chan!"
She ran and pulled Sakura out of the swing, hugging her too. She then turned to Eriol and threw her arms around him, making Sakura and Syaoran both gasp, as she would usually keep away from him.
"Takeru-kun just asked me to marry him!" Tomoyo shrieked. She let go of Eriol and stared at him happily. "Eriol-kun?"
Eriol wasn't smiling, but he wasn't frowning either. "I...I'm happy for you Daidouji-san."
Sakura and Syaoran gasped, at both Tomoyo's shocking news and the name Eriol had just called her. Tomoyo stared at him worriedly. "Eriol-kun, why are you calling me that?"
Eriol blinked rapidly, trying to hold the tears back. "Gomenasai minna, but I must be going now. Nakuru-chan and Yukito are coming over in a few minutes and I mustn't leave them out in the cold." He smiled faintly and walked out the park quickly.
Tomoyo's gaze followed him until he went out of sight. "Eriol-kun..."
"Did he just call you Daidouji-san?" Sakura whispered in disbelief.
Tomoyo stepped back as her eyes began to water. "What's wrong with him? Why would he call me that? We've been friends since preschool and now he....?"
"Tomoyo-chan, what's wrong sweetie," Takeru said as he wrapped her in his arms.
Syaoran grimaced. "That's what's wrong with Eriol." Syaoran whispered quietly behind Sakura. Sakura sighed as Tomoyo cried in the arms of her lover.
~*~*~*~*~*Eriol~*~*~*~*~*
I would've preferred if she kept that to herself. As if I'm not going through enough. She told Sakura to call me to wait in the park this early just to hear that?! What did she expect me to do? Shout for joy and jump around like her? And so what if I called her Daidouji-san? It's been four years and as far as I know, she's completely different. I don't think I'll ever be able to call her Tomoyo-chan again. Eriol took a deep breath of the early winter morning.
He walked up to the gates of his manor and sighed. It's so lonely here...I don't want to come back...there's nothing to do...Nakuru said that everything will be okay...but things only get worse!
"Eriol-sama?"
Eriol turned around and came upon his old servant and her now husband. "Nakuru-chan, Yukito-chan?"
Yukito smiled brightly. "And we were planning to visit you too."
Eriol raised an eyebrow in confusion. Nakuru chuckled softly, yet sadly. "We were called to the park to you know. We heard it all."
"We were hoping you'd be able to handle it..." Yukito started.
Nakuru stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him. "At least she spoke to you right?"
"It would've been better if she kept that to herself," Eriol replied, choking on the sobs that threatened to come.
Nakuru held him out in front of her. "Oh Eriol-sama, you can't run and hide like you did for four years. You have to be supportive. It's not the end of the world you know. You'll eventually find someone else or the pain will go away."
"I don't want to love anyone else," Eriol stated dryly.
Yukito walked up to them and placed his hand on Eriol's head. "We understand that Eriol. But you have to, somehow, find a way to make it hurt less. You're hurting her too you know. Even if you don't mean to, you are. If you truly love her, you'll want her to be forever happy and if being with that Takeru kid makes her happy, you should be too, for her sake."
"Yeah, or for the sake of your friendship," Nakuru added. "It's better to be friends than nothing at all."
Eriol nodded dejectedly. "I'll try...but I don't..."
"Trying is good enough Eriol-sama," Nakuru said patting his head.
~*~*~*~*~*Tomorrow~*~*~*~*~*
"Mr. Hiiragizawa, if you would please wake up. If this wasn't home school, you would've been late!"
Eriol shot up abruptly, hearing his teacher shouting through the door. "Gomen sensei! I'm coming in a second!" He threw his blankets off of him and ran to the bathroom.
After five minutes, he opened the door and rushed down the stairs, almost tumbling down. "WHOA!" Eriol pulled up his pants leg as he ran down quicker. After reaching the bottom step, he stopped and zipped up his pants. "Alright sensei." Eriol looked up and stepped back in surprise. "Daidouji-san?!"
Tomoyo stood up with a bright smile on her face. She got up and walked over to him. "Eriol-kun, do you do this every morning?"
Eriol's teacher looked up from his paper works. "More or less...yes he does."
Tomoyo giggled and reached her hand into Eriol's pocket, pulling his glasses out and placing where it should be. "Eriol-kun, I just wanted to apologize if I offended you yesterday. I didn't mean to."
Eriol stepped back from her and shook his head. "Um...it's not your fault. I wasn't feeling too well...I...hey, today's Sunday! There's no school on Sunday!" Eriol glared at his teacher angrily.
He (the teacher) smiled at him with an evil grin. "Well now, that took you about seven minutes. You're quite slow. Anyway, I stopped by today to drop off your college entrance exam scores." He walked up to Eriol and handed him a thick pile of papers. "Congratulations son...you've been approved in England's most exceptional college."
A smile spread across Eriol's face as he looked down at the papers. "I got..."
"All of them correct," finished the teacher. "I'm proud of you." He looked at his watch and sighed. "Well, I must be leaving now. Good day Eriol."
Eriol shook his teacher's hand happily. "Thank you sensei!" Eriol turned back around to a saddened Tomoyo. "Daidouji-san?"
"You're going to college in England?" Tomoyo asked as her eyes began to water.
Eriol sighed. "Gomen Daidouji-san...I never told you. But Nakuru-chan had always told me about how lovely the schooling was over there...and being born there, I..."
"It's okay Eriol-kun. You passed the exams with a perfect, you should be proud of yourself," Tomoyo said cutting him off.
"Daidouji-san, I'll stay until your wedding..." Eriol said looking down at the paper so she wouldn't see his tears. It hurt him so to say that, but it'd make her happy...he had to.
Tomoyo looked up at him and smiled. "Thank you Eriol-kun. It's just in a few months so you don't have to wait long."
"I'm happy for you Daidouji-san," Eriol said with a fake smile.
Tomoyo nodded. "Thanks again Eriol-kun." Tomoyo leaned closer to him and kissed him lightly on the cheek. "I'll see you later then."
Eriol nodded. "Yeah..."
Tomoyo picked up Eriol's hand and shook it for a moment before she left. "Eriol-kun, I'm sorry for ignoring you for four years. I was just too stubborn."
"Don't worry about it...I'm stubborn too remember?" Eriol said half jokingly.
Tomoyo smiled. "Yeah...bye." She let go of Eriol's hand and closed the front door behind her.
Eriol lifted his hand and touched the spot where she had kissed him. If only I could tell you...it hurts so much...
Eriol sighed and looked back down at the pile of papers in his hand. "I still can't believe I got all of the answers correct though!"
The front door burst open and Nakuru came running in. "Eriol-sama!!" She ran in and grabbed Eriol into a tight hug. "I heard Tomoyo-chan saw you zipping your pants!!!"
"..." Eriol said as he blushed a deep crimson red.
Nakuru smiled as she gazed down at the pile of papers in his hand. "Congrats Eriol-sama! You got a perfect! I don't believe it! I'm SO proud of you!" She squeezed him until his head turned a pale blue. "Gomen Eriol-sama."
Eriol grasped his neck, trying to rub the pain out of it. "Ne Nakuru-chan, where's Yukito-chan?"
"Work," Nakuru replied as she ran into the kitchen. "Now, what would you like for breakfast?"
~*~*~*~*~*Tomoyo~*~*~*~*~*
"Tomoyo-chan, daijoubu desu ka?" Sakura asked worriedly as her friend entered the park.
Takeru walked up to her, wrapping his arms around her comfortingly. "Did everything go okay with Hiiragizawa-san?"
Tomoyo nodded. "Yeah, but...he was accepted to a college in England."
"That's good, isn't it?!" Takeru almost exclaimed.
Sakura walked up behind them, placing a hand on Tomoyo's shoulder, with Syaoran right next to her. "Actually Takeru-kun, it's not."
Syaoran folded his arms across his chest. "You have to understand that Tomoyo-chan and Eriol has been friends since preschool and Eriol came from England..."
Takeru raised an eyebrow curiously. "I don't get it though...?"
"It's hard to say good bye," Sakura stated with an angry glare at Takeru. "Tomoyo-chan, it'll be okay. I bet Eriol-kun will write everyday and he'll call whenever he can."
"When's he going?" Syaoran asked curiously.
Tomoyo looked up with a weak smile. "He said that he'd wait for my wedding."
Sakura turned quickly to Syaoran, who nodded. "I'll talk to you in a little while." He kissed her on the cheek. "And I'll see you guys later..." He turned towards the exit and walked quickly off.
"Where...?" Tomoyo began, but stopped when Sakura smiled at her.
"Don't worry about a thing Tomoyo-chan. I know where he's going," Sakura said smiling proudly.
Tomoyo nodded. "Thanks."
"Let's go swing Tomoyo-chan!" Sakura shouted as she ran off towards the swing set.
~*~*~*~*~*Hiiragizawa Manor~*~*~*~*~*
"When did Yukito-chan get a job?" Eriol asked curiously as he and Nakuru sat down to breakfast.
"He got it just yesterday, that's why we were running late in the morning. Anyway, you shouldn't be talking a lot when you're eating. It's unmannerly," Nakuru said as she watched him pick at his food. "What? Don't you like it?"
Eriol looked up at her with a questioning expression. "Nakuru, do you think it's best if I went to college in England?"
"It's up to you Eriol-sama. It's your education, your life, your money...you know what I mean right?" Nakuru said half jokingly.
Eriol's expression remained the same. "No, I don't get it. But really Nakuru what do you think?"
"I think it's Eriol saying "I'm afraid, so I'm gonna make an excuse like I have college in England..." That's what I think," Syaoran replied as he walked into the dining room.
"Syaoran?"
Syaoran smiled at his long time friend. "Yup, and that's exactly what I think. Though, I'm not here to stop you either."
Eriol turned back to his plate of untouched food. "Then what are you here for?"
"Are you really staying until her wedding?" Syaoran asked inquisitively.
Eriol nodded. "That's what I said, so that's what I'm going to do."
"Eriol, you don't have to if it hurts too much," Syaoran replied.
Eriol shook his head. "It makes her happy that I'm here for her wedding, so I'm staying until her wedding no matter what my feelings are."
"You're just hurting yourself more," Syaoran said taking a seat.
Eriol smiled faintly. "I thought you said that me going to England was a way of running away from my problems."
"I did and still do. What I was thinking was that you'd tell her your feelings before you left," Syaoran explained.
Eriol poked at his food uninterestedly. "So you want me to tell her that I love her?"
"Yep, at least that way, you won't have to go on living in your pain and agony," Syaoran clarified.
Eriol smiled weakly. "So it'll reduce my pain, but what about her? It'll only confuse her. I want her to be happy. I don't want to ruin her relationship with Takeru."
"It won't exactly be like that Eriol. You're looking at the negative side too much," Syaoran said as he picked up a fork and ate a piece of broccoli. "You'll be telling her the truth and she can decide for herself what she wants."
Eriol put his fork down and stood up. "I'd never do that to her. I don't want her to choose."
"She's already chosen Eriol, she just needs another candidate now to make sure she really wants him," Syaoran continued.
Eriol frowned. "I don't want to be that other candidate."
"Well, you are. It's just that she doesn't see it and neither do you," Syaoran said, getting up and staring at Eriol. "You're the only other guy she spends her time with. Of course, not including her cook at home, bodyguards or me."
Eriol turned towards the back door. "As long as she doesn't think of me as the other candidate, it doesn't matter to me. She'll never see me as anything more than a friend."
"Whatever you say," Syaoran said as he turned and walked out. "But you're giving in before you even started..."
Eriol stopped. "You wouldn't know if I tried to start or not...it's not as easy as you think."
"It's just that you make it so difficult for yourself," Syaoran stated as he opened the front door. "We'll be at the regular ice cream parlor for a while. Later." He shut the door behind him.
Eriol sighed and continued outside, to his backyard.
"Eriol-sama, you worry too much about others..." Nakuru whispered as she continued her breakfast.
~*~*~*~*~*Syaoran~*~*~*~*~*
Eriol is such a dope. Moron if you ask me. Why would he not want to tell her? I guess he wants me and Sakura to tell her when he leaves or something. As if we're that stupid. Syaoran stuffed his hands into his pocket. "Man..." Syaoran walked up the walkway of the park and sat down next to his girlfriend. "Sakura, we need to talk..."
Sakura, Tomoyo and Takeru stared at him curiously. Sakura nodded and dragged him off. "Tomoyo-chan, Takeru-kun, we'll be back in a moment. Don't worry, we'll go get ice cream right when Syao-kun and I return okay?"
Tomoyo smiled at her friend. "Sure..."
Sakura turned back to Syaoran, who was now standing right in front of her. "Sakura, he doesn't want her to know."
"What?! Why not?" Sakura almost shouted.
Syaoran shrugged. "He said he didn't want to confuse her. She looks happy with Takeru and if Tomoyo doesn't think of him as the 'other' candidate, he doesn't think of himself as it either."
Sakura frowned. "What a moron! What is his problem?! So, is he really staying for her wedding?"
Syaoran nodded. "Yeah, he said, "That's what I said, so that's what I'm going to do.". Stupid if you ask me though."
"Why is he hurting himself so much?!" Sakura screamed quietly.
Syaoran glanced at his hands, not wanting eye contact. "Well, he said that since she's happy he's staying for her wedding, he's staying..."
"And what about his happiness?!" Sakura shrieked.
Syaoran raised an eyebrow. "You're expecting me to know?!"
"He's always been like that though..." Sakura whispered. "We'll just have to tell her for him."
Syaoran stared off towards the giggling couple behind Sakura. "I really don't think Eriol would like that. The first two people he'd suspect would be us anyway."
"But Syao-kun! Are we just supposed to leave him dumped in the streets alone?! He's our friend!" Sakura said, eyes pleading for his agreement.
Syaoran turned away, not wanting to see her puppy dog eyes. "Sakura...no, not those eyes! Argh...fine...but not when Takeru is anywhere near her."
"Thanks Syao-kun!" Sakura shouted happily and hugged him. Sakura grabbed Syaoran's arm and headed back towards Tomoyo and Takeru. "Ne Syao-kun, should we tell her today?"
"Up to you," Syaoran replied quietly.
Sakura nodded. "Come on you two! Let's get going!"
"Syaoran-kun, is Eriol-kun going to meet us there?" Tomoyo asked curiously.
Syaoran stared at Sakura and Sakura stared at him. "Uh...I don't he can make it, but I'm not sure. You know how he is with school...always wanting to stay a few steps ahead..."
"Yeah, I know..." Tomoyo replied a bit depressed. "I hope he can come though."
Sakura sighed and threw her arm out to Tomoyo. "Don't be so sad Tomoyo-chan! I'm sure he'll come if he can. Now, let's stop wasting time and go."
Tomoyo nodded. Sakura smiled happily and dragged Syaoran behind her as she led the way. "Syao-kun, I'm not sure when we should tell her. There's never a time that seems right to me."
"Then maybe we shouldn't say anything," Syaoran replied.
Sakura glared at him. "Are you backing out on your words now?!"
"No, you'll know when it's right to tell her Sakura, you always do," Syaoran replied lowering his head.
"That's better," Sakura said smiling contentedly. She stopped as the neared the parlor. "Ne, isn't that Eriol-kun?!"
Tomoyo stopped in mid-conversation with Takeru and looked up. "Eriol-kun you made it!"
Eriol smiled to them as best as he possibly could. "I wouldn't miss out on ice cream with you guys!"
Sakura reached out and hugged him joyously. "Eriol-kun!" She leaned over to his ear and let out a little giggle. "Tomoyo-chan told me she saw you zipping your pants this morning!" She pulled away and smiled as Eriol glared at her with rosy red cheeks.
"Is Eriol blushing?" Syaoran commented sarcastically. Eriol turned his glare towards Syaoran.
"Shall we go in?" Tomoyo said from behind them.
Sakura nodded and dragged both Syaoran and Eriol in after her. "We don't spend much time together anymore Eriol-kun. As your friends, we would like to know if you're still alive and breathing!"
"Gomen Sakura-chan, I've been busy the past four years," Eriol said as she threw him into his seat and squished in next to him with Syaoran on her other side.
"Apology accepted by me," Sakura squealed. Tomoyo and Takeru were engaged in yet another conversation, which involved only them.
Syaoran stared and finally stood up. "I'll get the ice creams, just tell me what flavors you want."
"Strawberry."
"Vanilla with fudge, thank you."
"Um...anything is fine."
Everyone turned to Eriol, who hadn't made a reply yet. "Well, cookies in cream if you please."
Syaoran nodded. "Sure..." Syaoran walked off, leaving Sakura and Eriol to stare at the giggling pair of Tomoyo and Takeru.
Sakura shuddered. "Ne Eriol-kun, Syao-kun and I are going to tell Tomoyo-chan your feelings."
"What's the point?" Eriol whispered back.
Sakura glared at him. "The point is, we want the best for you!"
"I don't see what telling her is going to accomplish," Eriol continued.
Sakura smacked him upside the head, making Tomoyo and Takeru stare at them strangely. "Ah, Eriol-kun, let's have our little conversation over there." Sakura pointed over to an isolated area and dragged Eriol off before he was able to reply. "Eriol-kun! Telling her will make you feel less hurt! At least she'll know!"
"No! I don't want anyone telling her anything! It's my feelings and if I want to keep them a secret, it's going to stay that way!" Eriol shot back.
Sakura sighed heavily. "Eriol-kun! Please, just listen to yourself! Or at least open your eyes and see how HURT you are!"
"I don't need to," Eriol replied dryly.
Sakura stared at him worriedly. "Eriol-kun, I'm not trying to ruin your life or Tomoyo-chan's. I just want both of you to be happy together or not."
"I'm sorry, I just remembered I have things I didn't do," Eriol stated as he walked by Sakura.
Syaoran, Tomoyo and Takeru stared as Eriol walked out of the parlor, leaving a worried looking Sakura. Sakura sighed once more and walked over to her other friends.
"Sakura-chan, where's Eriol-kun going?" Tomoyo asked apprehensively.
Sakura glared at her. "Why don't you go ask him yourself?! You're his SO CALLED BEST FRIEND!" Sakura grabbed her jacket and stomped out as well.
"Gomen Tomoyo-chan...Sakura's been a bit stressed lately," Syaoran said before he rushed out after her.
Tomoyo turned to Takeru sadly. "Takeru-kun, please excuse me. I'm going after them. Just finish your ice cream and go home okay?"
Takeru nodded obediently. Tomoyo smiled and kissed his cheek. "Thanks."
Tomoyo grabbed her jacket and quickly walked out. To her left, Sakura was sobbing a few benches down with Syaoran comforting her. To her right, Eriol was quickly going out of sight. But what made it strange was that Eriol's house was to Tomoyo's left. Tomoyo sighed and ran after Eriol. "Eriol-kun! Matte! Eriol-kun!"
Eriol came to a stop as he heard someone calling him. He turned around and caught Tomoyo just as she was going to trip and fall. "Daidouji-san? Daijoubu desu ka?"
Tomoyo looked up at him and nodded. "Hai, daijoubu. But that's not what I came for."
Eriol stared at her curiously. "What did you come for?"
"Eriol-kun, is something bothering you?" Tomoyo asked as she got back to her feet.
Eriol shook his head. "No, not that I know of at least."
"Eriol-kun, you can tell me anything. We used to be able to tell each other everything. Why can't you just tell me what's bothering you? I'll try to help," Tomoyo said with a frown.
Eriol turned away. "I don't want to talk about it and you possibly can't do anything to help."
"How can I? You won't even tell me what it is!? Come on, as best friends, we're supposed to be able to tell each other everything!" Tomoyo said raising her voice.
Eriol turned back to her, eyes filled with pain. "Don't you see Daidouji-san? We USED to be best friends. We used to tell each other everything on our minds! We USED to! I'm not like that anymore! I'm more independent! I don't need people to talk to!"
Tomoyo gasped. This was the first time Eriol had shouted to her ever and what made it worse was how he kept emphasizing the words used to. "Why can't we still be best friends?"
"You wouldn't understand! Besides, you have Sakura, Syaoran and Takeru to go to whenever you have a problem! You don't need me, so stop bugging me!" Eriol shouted a bit more calmly.
Tomoyo's eyes began to water. "Eriol-kun, I want to be your friend. Please! Don't run away from me! Don't you think you've done that for the past four years?!"
"You don't know what I've been through in the past four years so don't you dare say anything about it!" Eriol shouted, anger rising.
"What did I ever do to you?! That's all I want to know! What did I do to you to get you so angry?!" Tomoyo shouted back, anger and pain showing in her eyes and the tears came down.
Eriol turned away quickly, not wanting her to see him with tears in his eyes. "Gomen Daidouji-san. It seems I won't be staying for your wedding after all."
"It's not fair Eriol-kun! I don't even know what I did and now you're not coming to my wedding!" Tomoyo shouted as Eriol walked off. "Eriol-kun! You can't ignore me for the rest of your life! Eriol-kun! Why are you running away?! Why can't you just tell me?!"
~*~*~*~*~*4 Months Later (Thursday)~*~*~*~*~*
"Eriol-sama, you've been cooped up in this house for months! When are you leaving for England again?" Nakuru said as she stepped into the dusty house.
Eriol stood up from the chair he was sitting in and walked towards the back door. "This Saturday."
"That's Tomoyo-chan's wedding day!" Nakuru shrieked, but covered her mouth right away. "Gomen Eriol-sama...I didn't mean to..."
Eriol shook his head. "No, its okay Nakuru-chan. I don't care."
Nakuru sighed, shaking her head as she watched him open the door and walk out to the garden. For the past months, that's all he's ever been doing, besides studying. He never answered the phone, wrote anyone back, nothing. And since he finished high school two months ago, he usually sat there with a few college textbooks, studying or pretending to study.
Suddenly, knocking Nakuru out of her thoughts, the phone began to ring. "Moshi, Moshi? Sakura-chan?"
"Nakuru-chan, is Eriol-kun there?"
"Yeah, but I really don't think he wants to talk..." Nakuru peeked at Eriol as he sat down in a chair, head faced skyward and eyes tightly shut.
"Please, I really need to ask him when he leaves. Tomoyo-chan is worried and wants to see him off...she also wants to apologize."
"Gomen Sakura-chan, but Eriol-sama wouldn't be happy with me if I told you anything. I think things are best the way they are. And don't bother asking Yukito, he doesn't know anything about Eriol-sama's flight information."
"Please Nakuru!"
"I'm sorry, I can't...it'll only hurt Eriol-sama to see her before he leaves. If that is all..."
"..."
"Ja."
Nakuru hung up the phone before Sakura could even say bye. She looked again at Eriol, who now had his knees pulled up to his chest and arms wrapping around it tightly. "Eriol-sama you baka..."
The next few days flew by for everyone. Tomoyo, Takeru, Sakura and Syaoran were all busy preparing for the upcoming wedding and Eriol, Nakuru and Yukito were busy packing Eriol's belongings for his trip back to England, forever.
Finally, Saturday came and Eriol was wide awake, though not hyper nor happy. "Arigato Nakuru-chan. I appreciate all the years you've spent with me. I'm going to miss you."
Nakuru pulled out a handkerchief and started sobbing madly. "Oh Eriol-sama! I'm going to miss you so much! I'll write and call everyday! And if you're not home, I'll just keep trying. Yukito and I will come for a visit as soon as we can!" Nakuru bellowed in between sobs.
Eriol hugged her tightly. "Bye Nakuru-chan...I'm going to miss you more than anything."
"I don't want to say bye! Eriol-sama!" Nakuru shrieked. She held onto him tightly, not wanting to let go.
"Nakuru...please..." Eriol said as he tried to pulled himself away before he turned bluish purple.
Nakuru finally let him go and forced him and Yukito to go quickly or else she wouldn't let him go at all. "Eriol-sama (sniff, sniff)" Nakuru slowly walked up the stairs to get ready for Tomoyo's wedding.
~*~*~*~*~*Airport~*~*~*~*~*
After reaching the airport, Eriol turned to Yukito and smiled thankfully. "Look Yukito-chan, I want to thank you for everything. And especially for making Nakuru-chan so happy. I wish the two of you the best life forever."
"Eriol-chan, I hope you know that even though I don't approve of you running away from your problems, I do wish you well. Are you sure you don't want me to wait with you?" Yukito asked worriedly.
Eriol nodded. "Yeah. Just go back in time to take Nakuru to the wedding. She loves weddings you know."
Yukito smiled as he hugged Eriol. "I will Eriol-chan...I will."
Eriol watched until his car was out of sight before heading into the airport to wait for his flight. I can't believe I'm actually going through with this. I grew up here...
Eriol sighed as he looked around for one more look of Tomoeda before he never saw it again. Well, at least I stayed until your wedding day...
~*~*~*~*~*At the Wedding~*~*~*~*~*
"Goodness, I still can't believe that you're getting married before me and Syaoran!" Sakura shrieked happily as she came running up to the bride.
Tomoyo giggled happily. "Sakura-chan, you look fantastic!"
"What are you talking about? This is you wedding! You should be worried about yourself!" Sakura shrieked once more.
"I'm so nervous," Tomoyo squealed.
Sakura grabbed her friend's hands anxiously. "So am I!"
Suddenly the door opened and Nakuru walked in. "Sakura-chan, Tomoyo-chan..."
Both of the squealing females turned to the older one. "Nakuru-chan?"
She looked at them sadly. "His flight leaves in an hour."
Sakura's smile vanished completely, as did Tomoyo's. "An hour?"
Nakuru nodded, then turned and left back out.
"He's leaving and the last time we ever spoke, I shouted at him!" Tomoyo cried as the tears coursed down her pale cheeks. "He never told me why he avoided me...he never told me why he stopped being my friend..."
Sakura's face paled as her grip on her friend's hand tightened. "Tomoyo-chan, he didn't want to ruin your relationship with Takeru-kun...so he avoided you..."
Tomoyo stared at her still with tears flowing down her cheeks. "But I don't get it..."
"Tomoyo-chan, he loved you."

Author Notes: Well, this is the longest one shot story I've ever written in my life! The longest for school was 13 pages double spaced! Here's a few things I'd like to point out. In having no magic, Suppi and Kero were never created, meaning they don't exist. Nakuru and Yukito can't change to Yue and Ruby Moon either...in this fic, they were real, actual human beings. Eriol is an orphan, but his parents were REALLY rich, leaving him with enough money to live on and still be rich after he dies. Nakuru is merely his servant/maid.

I was trying to give this story a moral, but all I can come up with right now is, "Life isn't always fair." or "Running away is never the solution to a problem because sooner or later, it will come up again." Though Eriol did run off by going to England. He's a coward!!

Oh, and I didn't put much in on Touya, but he is a couple with Kaho Mizuki. Forgive me if I flashed the scenes too quickly...making time fly, but on wanting as a one shot, I had too because I wanted it to take a few years for the entire story.

Please don't flame me saying this story is totally off the storyline because I have already stated that it WILL NOT follow the original story. There's no magic, no Kaho and Sakura love from Eriol or Tomoyo and Eriol and Tomoyo are good childhood friends.

I won't be writing a sequel to this if anyone wanted to know. It's a one shot and it's staying that way. I really don't like to write sequels to one shots and second seasons to chaptered stories. Thanks for reading and please review.

Meaning of the title: For the Sake of Friendship
The title talks about Eriol and his problems. He didn't want to destroy his friendship with Tomoyo because he loved her, but he couldn't stand seeing her with Takeru either. He had to choose between those too for the sake of his friendship with Tomoyo. That's all it meant...
~*Megori*~

Starting Day/Time: July 27, 2001 10:00 p.m.
Finished Day/Time: July 28, 2001 10:59 p.m.