Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Lovers In Japan ❯ A deal with the Devil ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

LOVERS IN JAPAN
CHAPTER 1
A Deal with the Devil
It had been a year since she started working for Blush, a magazine company downtown Japan. It was a dream come true, after all she has always wanted to leave her hometown and move to the city and she loved the freedom. She spent the first few days living with a friend in a tiny apartment; with their salaries at the time, they could barely pay for the rent on time. When she started working for the magazine she could never get anything right, apparently, her skin was not tan enough and she was not as pretty as her parents made her believe. In the city, a country accent and thick glasses only attracted the wrong attention. Her long grey skirts and the shoulder padded jacket that her mother gave her was in fact so 80s. She would sit behind the desk and watch as the stick thin supermodels walked in and out of her bosses' office.
”Sayuri, snap out of it. I need you to set up a meeting this afternoon.” Her boss said looking at her. Belittling her like he always did. Forgetting her name like he always did—she was cure that he did not know her name. He was the most handsome man she had ever seen. He had a medium built and had a slick hairdo. His eyes were intense amber that only complimented the color of his chestnut hair. He always looked good, he always smelt good. It was no wonder women were drawn to him.
But of course he was another shallow blueblood, egotistic and arrogant. It was clear that he did not work for his position as the Chief Editor of the magazine, his father simply handed it to him because he (the boss) decided to drop out of college. His father did not know what else to do with him. At least that was what she had always assumed.
He got her doing all sorts of things for him that were out of her job description. Every Wednesday she did his laundry, on Fridays she took his dog Rufus for a walk, one time she even had to bail him out of prison…regardless of of all of these things, he did not know her name.
”Why don't you just quit?” Her best friend Tomoyo would ask her.
”The money is good.” The truth was a part of her wanted this man to acknowledge her; she needed him not to dismiss her with his sardonic eyes. She needed him to make her feel important, to tell her that he would not be able to function without her.
”Yes sir.” She told him and smiled bravely. When he left the room, she sat motionless, brooding as though she could really afford to sit there and do nothing.
She always put 100 percent effort in her work; she never questioned him. Even when they were alone, in the same room, they never had an actual conversation, his phone would ring and as usual, he would forget she existed.
At 21:30 she took the subway home; as she walked through the park, she looked at up at the sky, not a single star in sight. It seemed as though the tall buildings overcast the sky. There was nothing but artificial stars. There was always noise; she could barely hear herself think. Her job had ruined her life in ways she often refused to see. She did not have a social life and only one friend. The days were long and the nights were short. No matter how hard she worked, no one there took acknowledge of it, they could care less. And love…there was no love for her. She loved the idea of it and she believed with all my heart that it existed. However, it was not for her, she was apart of the handicapped redundant individuals who are not meant to be loved in return.
”I'm home.” she said putting her coat on the coat hanger.
”You're early.” Tomoyo said.
She took off her long hot-pink scarf “Yeah, he needed me.” She walked to the kitchen, she could feel a migraine coming on.
”Needed you?” Tomoyo said mockingly.
She nodded. “Tomorrow they are renovating his office, he needed help emptying it. He wants me at the office at five tomorrow morning. He needs me to get a temporary office for him before he gets to work.”
”What a jerk.” Tomoyo muttered. “Hey, I met these really hot twins at work and they invited me for a night out, and of course you're coming with me.”
Sakura shook her head “No, I can't…didn't you hear me, I have to be at work by five and besides I'm cranky I won't be good company.”
Tomoyo rolled her eyes “You always say that, even on a weekend. When are you going to get out and do something exciting with your life? I know that you're not going to sleep, you're probably going to watch some sad drama or read one of your anime comic books.”
”Manga.” Sakura replied her eyes half closed.
”Whatever; you know what your problem is, Sakura? You undervalue yourself; you need to be more confident.”
”I don't care about that kind of stuff, so what, I prefer a good book over drinks with twin brothers.” Sakura sounded as though she was arguing.
”How are you ever going to meet someone?”
Sakura sighed; she paused then looked at Tomoyo “It will happen when it happens.”
Tomoyo rolled her eyes more dramatically this time “That's not how it happens, you just can't wait for love to find you. You have to go out there and look for it.”
Sakura's shoulders visibly drooped “I guess I'll be alone for the rest of my life.”
”No you won't.” Tomoyo was becoming impatient; she rubbed one of her eyes and fixed her pony.
”Guys never really liked me in high school; I don't see why they would like me now. I'm still the same. Good night, have fun.”
Sakura sometimes wondered why she was even friends with Tomoyo; they did not have anything in common. Tomoyo came from a wealthy family; she loved fashion and was every mans' dream. She went out every night, she knew so many people. Her lifestyle clashed with Sakura's. Apart from her wit, she was also beautiful. She had skin the color of snow and eyes as dark as night. Her long raven hair complimented her beautiful face.
Wednesday morning, Sakura was at Syaoran's apartment, doing his laundry, as she did every Wednesday afternoon. She noted that his apartment was messier than usual, there were dirty dishes in the kitchen and the furniture had been shifted. Being the type of woman she was, although it was not part of her job description, Sakura cleaned up the apartment. She washed all the dishes, wiped every surface and even vacuumed and moped.
Exhausted she ambled into his bedroom to collect the pile of dirty laundry he often left for her. She looked around the room, even though she had been in his room many times, she was still astonished. She ambled to the French windows and looked out at the city. She tried to convince herself that this could only get better.
When she turned away, she saw a forest green dress lying on the bed. There was a silver edged card next to it. Sakura picked it up and bend to pick up the silver edged card. Should she read it…she looked around the room. She was the only one, no one would know.
Syaoran, do you really think this cheap dress will make up for the fact that you cheated on me. Please, it's over. Don't bother calling me, Lumier Maria Ronaldo.
Sakura's eyebrows shot up then she looked at the dress. The price tag was still on it, “she calls this cheap?” Sakura said surprised, the price of the dress was equivalent to her monthly salary. Who was Lumier Maria Ronaldo? She wondered. Would he be upset knowing that his gift had been rejected?
She had intended to put away the dress but instead she held it up at the arm's length and had a good look. The dress was even more beautiful when she looked at it carefully. It was strapless with an A-line and appeared to reach her right above her knees.
She went to the dressing table, held the dress over her body and looked in the mirror. It was difficult to tell against the sensible suit she had worn but seemed to be her size. What would it look like if she put it on? She had never worn anything like this.
'I could possibly put it on.' She told herself `There is no one here.' No one would ever know. Why not?
She took off her suit and brown flat shoes. She dropped the glimmering folds over her head, fastened the zip and turned to look in the mirror.
”Oh!” a different person gazed back. Her bra spoiled the effect so she took it off and looked again. She had never worn such a dress, luxurious, revealing, and beautiful. Her bare shoulders were smooth under the A-line cut. She pulled at the top of the dress then left it alone.
She was still gazing at her reflection and enjoying a daydream to suit the dream of a dress when sharp footsteps sounded on the floor. Startled, Sakura turned around and found that her boss, Syaoran was staring at her. He seemed baffled by her presence it general.
”Are you supposed to be here?”
Sakura's face turned all sheds of red; she was embarrassed and did not know what to do or where to begin. How was she ever going to explain what it was she was doing in the dress? She rubbed her shoulders as she often did when nervous.
”I'm here to do the laundry.” She sounded awkward.
He looked at her from head to toe. He was surprised at how well the dress fitted her. She had long smooth legs and beautiful skin. He stared at her hills and valleys, astonished. She was slender, not skinny. She appeared much healthier that those models he was used to dating.
”I can explain.” She said unable to stand the silence he had invited. “I'll take it off.”
”Keep it.” He told her suddenly.
She shook her head, was that all? Didn't he want her to explain, wasn't he going to fire her. “I can't.”
”I'm not asking you, I'm telling you.” His sardonic eyes hovered over her.
”Did you read the letter?”
She rubbed her elbow “No.”
He looked around the bedroom and leaned against a corner next to the exit. He looked so handsome in his designer suit and black trench coat. “You did.” He said.
Sakura wanted to hide under the bed. She could not help pulling down the hem of the dress.
He saw that she was uncomfortable so he dismissed her with his eyes. “It's dark, you better leave.”
She nodded hard and quickly.
She dressed hurriedly and started her way out when she was stopped by the sound of his voice. “Did you clean up?”
She nodded “Yes…Sir.”
”Why?”
Her heart was beating in her throat, her palms were sweaty. She could not think of a reply.
”Do I make you uncomfortable Sarah?”
She rubbed the elbow of her other hand “No. um I just find you a little intimidating.”
“Intimidating? Me?” he sounded surprised but ruined the effect by chuckling after that.
”Good night.” She said now sounding desperate for an escape.
”Stay.” He ordered, “I bought dinner on my way here and It's a lot. Eat with me.”
Sakura could not contest; it was difficult to say no to this man. He led her to the dining room where he signaled her to a seat across him. He took out the boxes of Chinese food from the paper bag and handed them to her.
”I never eat in.” He told her as though it was the most interesting thing about him.
“Oh.” She half smiled.
”So what do you do?” he said while trying to position his chopsticks between his fingers.
She watched him as he struggled to perform a task he is supposed to know. “I work for you.”
”I mean other than that.”
She fixed her glasses “I love to read and…I…I mostly work for you.”
”Oh! What kind of things do you read Saiyuu.”
”That's not my name.” she muttered.
He put the chopsticks on the table “What was that?”
”My name is not Saiyuu, it's Sakura…you know like the flower.”
”Really, I'm sorry.” He sounded sincere. “Sakura.”
”It's okay, you once called me Joanna.” She thought she sounded quiet arrogant right after the statement escaped her lips.
He stared at her in silent inquisitiveness. Her lips were dry; she had thick eyebrows and greasy hair. He could not ignore those large thick glasses that took over most of her face. His eyes shifted to her fingers, her chipped silver nail polish could not hide the constant biting she had inflicted on her nails. Perhaps she was trying to be daring.
”I'm really sorry about the dress. It was just so beautiful, you have great taste.”
He half smiled, this smile was more sincere than the smiles he shot her in last few minutes. “She didn't want it, this is the first and last time I'll ever beg a female for forgiveness.”
She tried to keep an unwavering look on her face but his way of thinking aggravated her.
”So where are you from?”
”It's a small town, Tomeada, there is barely anything there other than the kindest people you will ever meet. They are many trees and fields of sunflowers. My father is a farmer so you can imagine what life is like there.” She thought she could have been a more interesting companion, how boring he must find her. Why did he bother with her?
”So you know how to milk cows and shit?”
She nodded her eyes suspending over to his hands once more, he was still struggling with his chopsticks, must she comment…help…did she even have the confidence to tease him in such a way it would make her appear more witty and friendly.
He noticed that she was watching him. He chuckled, embarrassed. He imagined that she was asking herself what kind of Chinese man does not know how to use chopsticks. “I was raised and born in America.” He told her “My parents made me adapt to that culture, I know it's not right to forget your culture.”
She could have asked him more about his experience in a foreign country, before she could formulate a question; he stood up and walked to the kitchen. “Excuse me” While he was gone, she tried to relax herself. Could all this really be happening?
He came back with a silver fork in his hands and a bottle of wine.
”Oh, I don't drink.” She told him, the words jumping out her mouth.
He beamed at her amused “Really, are you serious?”
He put the fork on the table.
”Yes.”
”Smoking? Clubbing?” his eyebrow rose “Making love?”
She shook her head three times earning three separate chuckles from him. He popped opened the bottle of wine. If he was with a more attractive woman, he could have forced her to drink just so he could get her drunk and she would spend the night. But this was no attractive woman…her body was magnificent, he had to admit. He remembered how her figure emphasized in perfection in that breathtaking dress. He drooled at the thought of her naked body on his bed; of course, he would have to make love to her in the dark.
”Are you still leaving for home next Friday?”
Her statement interrupted his thoughts “Uh…what?”
”Home, you have family in Japan.”
”Yes.” He sat down pouring the wine into a long wine glass “My family has a yearly family reunion and my sister is getting married.”
”Sounds exciting.”
”Not really, I told my father I would bring my girlfriend to visit. The only problem is I don't have a girlfriend. I told him that I've been seeing a woman for the past six months.” He confessed.
”Which is not true.” She said.
He shook his head taking a sip of his wine “Yes, I can never be committed to one woman. Monogamy is not really meant for men, why do you think we have so much sperm?”
She listened attentively, so he did cheat. She thought. She noticed that his hair was becoming disheveled; it was a different look for him.
Then something happened, Sakura took off her glasses. She took out a tiny white cloth and wiped the lenses. This act was of no significance to her, it was something she normally did and did not put too much thought to. However, for Syaoran, it was as if he was staring at heavens gates.
He was trapped in her emerald eyes; they were the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. His heart beat so fast he thought he would faint.
She put them back on. Under those glasses, she was a potential beauty. When she put her glasses back on the feeling vanished as quickly as it had arrived.
She looked down and noticed that she had finished her food. Now there was nothing left to do but entertain him.
”So how old are you?” he asked her.
”22.”
He was overwhelmed “I'm 23.”
She could hardly smile.
”And I'm your boss, how funny is that?”
'Rich people just don't have a way with words' she concluded and forgave him instantly.
”I better go, it's getting late.” She stood up and he stood up immediately after that. “It's only 7.”
She said nothing; in the same silence, he pushed his chair behind the table. “Alright. How are you getting there?”
”Subway.” She told him gathering her things. Her handbag was puffy because of the dress. If it were up to her, she would not have taken it. After all, it was not meant for her. “Thank you for the dress” she tried to sound grateful and not sarcastic.
”Don't mention it. Isn't it dangerous though, robbers and crazy people.” He was not telling her this because he cared about her well being or anything, he was just lonely. She was better company than his dog Rufus. “I'll give you a lift.”
”You don't….”
”I insist.” He pointed out. “The problem with a woman such as yourself is that you don't know how to accept things. Next time I offer anything, just accept.”
”Yes.”
There was not much to say on the ride there, he revealed to her that his father had given him the job as editor of the Magazine because he did not know what else to do with him. He wanted a share in his father's company but his father would never entrust him with such a responsibility. As far as his father was concerned, Syaoran was playful, he did not take anything seriously and his reputation as a womanizer was not a good image for the family.
He pulled over in front of her apartment “Good night Sakura.” He told her certain that he got her name right.
”Good night.” She walked out of car and made her way up the staircase, she did not look back as the car drove away.
She walked into the building and ambled to the elevator. The memory was fleeting; she imagined that the next day he would forget about their encounter. He would forget her name and discharge her like always did.
She took a bath, sat in front of the television screen, and watched the news. She thought of everything he said to her. She could have been a little more fashionable and drank the wine. Why didn't she drink anyway? She was the legal age, it was not like her father would suddenly appear and ground her. Why did she have to be such a loser. She hid the dress behind her more dull clothes in the closet. If Tomoyo saw it, she would overreact. She would probably ask to borrow it, as selfish as it was, it was her dress now, from Mr. Li himself.
She was being unrealistic.
That morning there was a knock on the door, why didn't Tomoyo get it. It was probably the postman. She yawned and fell off the bed. She grumbled “I guess I have to do everything as usual!”
She opened the door; her boss was standing there with a cardboard cup of coffee in his hand. “Morning, Sakura.”
”What are you doing here.” She was embarrassed. She had an olive green facemask on.
”Wow, you look scary.” He said, “Can I come in?”
”No…yes…no.” she could not make up her mind.
He walked in and closed the door. He looked around the rather small apartment. He liked it that it was so colorful and feminine. “Do you live alone?”
”My roommate is in her room.” She said.
”I have a proposal for you Minamoto.”
”Kinomoto.” She corrected him.
”I need you to sign this agreement, your roommate can be the witness.”
”What? Can you please let me wash up?”
He nodded, “Just don't take too long.”
She went to the bathroom and washed her face, she could hardly see without her glasses. She could not find them either.
”Sakura, hurry up!” Syaoran said impatiently.
She walked into the room. He was sitting at the table with a pen and paper in his hand. She sat on the chair next to him.
“I need you to pretend to be my lover for the next six months, you will attend every event I ask you to attend, act the way I want you to act and dress the way I need you to dress.”
Sakura's eyebrows shot up and she laughed, “Are you joking?”
He shook his head slowly “I don't joke, the reason our agreement has to be in this format is because since I'm wealthy you might want to sue me if anything goes wrong.”
”Goes wrong? Oh wait…me? Why would you want someone like me?”
”Because you're a good person, I need a good person to make me look good. ”
She shot him a sarcastic smile “So you're using me? And what do I get out of it.”
He took out a blank cheque and put it on the table “Any amount that pleases you.”
She looked at the cheque, she could use the money. It would be nice to move into a bigger apartment, she can even start her own business. She had to shake these seductive thoughts.
”You can't just buy people.” She told him sounding tentative.
”I've done it so many times, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a win win situation. Now take the pen and sign the contract.”
Sakura looked at the paper once more; she could barely see the words. She squinted her eyes “Okay but what does it say?”
This was easier than he thought it would be, she was like the ugly female friend he never had, getting along with her should be easy. ”Basically what I told you in complicated language.”
She took the pen from his hand, what did she have to loose anyway? It would be an adventure to play lover to the richest man in the country. She signed it and smiled “There.”
He grinned, if she had her glasses on, she would have seen the iniquity and the darkness that grew in his eyes.
…………… to be continued.
Disclaimer: I do not own CCS
A/N: So here is my new story. I hope you like it so far, fingers crossed. I really love this story and would like to keep writing it so please please review.