Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sakura: Knight of the Clow
Part Nineteen

“All right,” Sonomi Daidouji demanded as they stood in her beautifully decorated library room, “how long has this been going on?” The books lining the shelves, fireplace and all the soft chairs would have normally given the room a cozy feel, but Sonomi’s intense manner rather killed that effect.

“I think that’s my line, love,” Kaho Mitsuki pointed out mildly, the newspaper editor standing beside her simmering lover.

“Sorry,” Sonomi actually smiled slightly as she said, “but she’s my daughter first, your reporter second.”

“I don’t know if I’d agree with that,” Tomoyo said dryly from where she was sitting on a couch to one side of the room, meeting her mother’s eyes with a flash of resentment.

Sonomi winced at that shot.

“Tomoyo,” Sakura Kinomoto put a hand on her arm, squeezing it gently. “This is all my fault,” she looked away from her friend to meet Kaho and Sonomi’s eyes as she lied boldly, “I made her conceal my identity.”

“She did not,” Tomoyo frowned.

“But...” Sakura started.

“Don’t try taking all the fault on yourself,” Mei-lin Li added from where she was sitting in a chair nearby.

“You’re involved with this too?” Sonomi frowned.

“Hold it,” Kaho raised a hand. Looking at both of them she said, “Could someone please start at the begining?”

“It’s a long story,” Sakura sighed. With some help from Tomoyo and Mei-Lin she sketched in the ongoing fight to capture the Clow cards, as well as hunting the monsters that seemed to haunt Tokyo.

“You said you inherited this,” Sonomi gave Sakura a searching look, “does that mean your mother Nadesico did this, too?”

“Yes, she did,” Sakura confirmed, deciding to mention that she had died in action. She rather thought Sonomi wouldn’t want to know.

“And exactly how long were you planning to sit on this story?” Kaho coldly asked after a few moments, hands on her hips as she stared down at Tomoyo.

“I wasn’t sitting on it,” Tomoyo answered her with just a little smile, “just... leaving out certain facts.”

“Those are pretty big facts,” Kaho bit out.

“The problem is,” Mei-Lin noted calmly before they could say things they might regret later, “would people believe it anyway?” As everyone looked at her she continued, “As it is there are a regular stream of letters coming in claiming all our Knight stories are just a hoax.” She spread out her hands, “What are they going to do when we reveal that she’s really a young woman who is a hereditary monster slayer?”

“They’d never believe it,” Sonomi admitted after a second.

Kaho looked like she had a headache coming on. “That doesn’t mean we aren’t obligated to report it,” she said.

“How about journalistic responsibility?” Sakura countered. “The only thing revealing the full truth will do is cause a panic as people discovers that there are real monsters out there, ones that only someone like me can stop.”

“And has anyone tried shooting at these things?” Sonomi asked curiously.

“According to the stories my Grandmother did when she was knight,” Sakura paused, “she was mauled so badly her leg never recovered.”

“Lovely,” Mei-Lin winced.

“Revealing the truth will do nobody any good,” Tomoyo met Kaho’s eyes in a silent plea, “all it will do is make Sakura’s job even harder.”

“All right,” Kaho finaly gave up with a sigh, “we’ll sit on the information on Sakura being this Knight.” As everyone was looking relieved she added, “But, if the situation escalates I am not making any promises.”

“Fair enough,” Sakura nodded.

“Well, it looks like the party’s finished,” Sonomi sighed, then smiled wryly. In the chaos of Water’s appearance the guests and staff had fled, leaving a disaster outside with toppled tables, spilled food and wrecked decorations.
“Is there any sign of your catering staff?” Tomoyo asked, quite willingly accepting the change of topic.

Sonomi shrugged, “I assume they headed for the hills with everyone else.”

“Well,” Sakura got up, offering Tomoyo a hand as she said practically, “maybe we should try to clean up a bit?”

“Why not?” Tomoyo agreed, willing to seize on any opportunity to get away from her mother, not to mention her annoyed boss.

“I’ll help too,” Mei-Lin joined them, casting a wary eye at her boss.

“Thanks for not jumping in to the argument to protect Sakura’s identity.” Kaho said as they watched the three young ladies righting tables and carefully using utensils to scoop up the ruined food.

“I was tempted,” Sonomi admitted. She gave Kaho a ghost of a smile, “But I figured that with three to one odds, they’d do pretty well.”

Kaho laughed, “True enough.” Thoughtfully she added, “Sakura... she seems to inspire a fierce loyalty in her friends.”

“I know,” Sonomi said, “she has a innocent sort of charisma.”

Just then Sakura took a splat of potato salad to the side of the head. Tomoyo tooked mortified, then stunned as Sakura beaned her with a dinner roll. She successfully ducked the sandwich Tomoyo tossed but poor Mei-Lin didn’t dodge in time. Within moments a full on food fight was going on, the ladies ducking behind tables as they rooted about for ammo.

“And on the other hand they’re ordinary women, too.” Kaho laughed softly, “Do you want to go break them up?”

Laughing too Sonomi lead they way, “Break it up, I thought you were going to....”

Splat!

“Oops,” Mei-Lin dropped the spoon, the bowl of rice sitting beside her.

“Why you,” Sonomi snatched up a fish and joined the fray.

“I think I’ll just sit over here and watch,” Kaho quietly backed away as the four way food fight continued on.

To be continued....