Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Sakura: Knight of the Clow ❯ Chapter 23

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sakura: Knight of the Clow: Twenty Three

“Water!” Mei-lin yelled, the black haired young woman unleashing the water card to sweep across the flames.

“Thanks,” Sakura grinned, the flaming figure looking startled as the brown haired woman readied her battle staff. “Spark,” she cried, “return to your power confined!”

The shimmering figure fought a moment, then willingly surrendered as it flowed into a simple looking card that dropped into Sakura’s hand. On the front was a young woman holding a small flame cupped protectively in her hands.

“It’s pretty,” Mei-lin admitted as she looked it over.

“Yes, it is,” Sakura agreed as she tucked the card away, “it’s the minor incarnation of the fire element.”

“Minor incarnation?” Mei-Lin blinked.

“We’ll have to face the full power of Fire later,” Sakura confessed. Pushing back her hood she grabbed Mei-lin’s hand, “We’d better hurry before someone comes.”

“Calm down,” Mei-lin said, though she was clearly not bothered by Sakura holding her hand. “Just walk slowly away from the scene,” she advised, “panicked fleeing just draws more attention to you.”

“You’re right,” Sakura admitted as they left the side street, glad that this neighborhood was mostly quiet over night.

Mei-lin kept a firm hold of Sakura’s hand as she carefully guided them to a spot she knew, feeling a slight thrill at the contact. “Do you need to get back home?” she wondered, her simple red dress swirling around her legs.

Even with her cloak on Sakura looked more boyish, having chosen pants and a basic shirt to wear for their quest to bring in a Clow Card. Despite the fact she chose clothes for practicality, Sakura still managed to look cute. “Well, I need to sleep for work tomorrow,” Sakura admitted, “but other than that....”

‘Good,’ Mei-lin thought, ‘she didn’t mention going home or to see Tomoyo....’ Aloud she said, “Do you want to get something to eat?”

Almost on cue Sakura’s stomach growled softly. “Sorry,” she blushed faintly, “I’d love something to eat.”

“Come on then,” Mei-lin tugged on Sakura’s hand as she said, “we’re near Shinjuku and I know just the place!”

“Don’t tug,” Sakura laughed, following.

It wasn’t too obvious that there was even a club there as Mei-lin led them up both up a flight of stairs a few blocks later, both of them a bit out of breath from tonight’s exertions. Tucked away in a high rise with a kareoke box and a manga store was a sign for Lily’s, up on the third floor and at the corner of the building.

“This is...?” Sakura looked at her questioningly.

Mei-lin smiled gently as she opened the door and repeated, “Come on.”

Inside was a small room, but carefully arranged for the maximum space. Along the inside wall was a bar, lined with people looking at them curiously, while up against the windows small tables looked out at the glittering city.

“Hoeee....” Sakura murmured softly as they passed by the eyes of the women who filled the little club.

The blue haired woman at the bar smiled, her gestures smooth and elegant. “Good to see you, Mei-lin,” she said then dropped her voice, “who’s your cute friend?”

“This is my friend Sakura,” Mei-lin smiled, “Sakura, this is my friend Umi, who runs this place with her girlfriends Hikaru and Fuu.”

“Do you have to tell about my girlfriends?” Umi complained cheerfully, “It completely spoils my chance to pick up unwary girls.”

“She’s joking,” Mei-lin reassured the mildly stunned Sakura.

“She’s right,” Umi agreed, “I’m pretty much harmless.” She turned to the assortment of drinks, “What can I get you?”

“Beer for me,” Mei-lin said, then looked questioningly at Sakura.

Sakura frowned slightly, “Rum and coke, easy on the rum.”

“Coming right up,” Umi used the fountain to pour a drink for Mei-lin then poured a bit of rum in a glass and added coke.

“Thank you,” Mei-lin said, “put it on my tab.” She lead the way to a window seat, where they looked out over a busy road. “I hope I haven’t surprised you,” she said quietly.

“Sort of,” Sakura smiled slightly as she said, “but mostly because I was expecting some little café, not this...”

“Oops,” Mei-lin blushed. ‘Damn it,’ she thought, ‘I pushed her it seems.’ She looked at Sakura, “So you’re not shocked?”

Sakura actually chuckled softly as she took a drink, “I work in a museum. I deal with gay and lesbian artists all the time.”

“Good,” and with that Mei-lin reached over to take her hand.

Sakura met her eyes questioningly, “Mei-lin?”

Giving into the urge Mei-lin leaned forward a bit, gently pressing her lips to Sakura’s in answer to her question. To her dismay she felt Sakura stiffen up then pull back, and both sat there awkwardly a moment in silence.

“I’m sorry,” Mei-lin finally said.

Sakura was blushing furiously, “Mei-lin, I didn’t realize....”

‘God she’s innocent,’ Mei-lin sighed, realizing that Sakura had been entirely unaware of Mei-lin’s feelings towards her. “It’s all right,” she made herself say, even though she felt like she had been punched in the gut.

Sakura sighed softly, “This time I’m sorry.” She looked up, “How long...?”

“Have I had a crush on you?” Mei-lin finished. She shrugged, “A few weeks.”

“I feel very stupid right now,” Sakura admitted.

“Not your fault,” Mei-lin said as she smoothly finished her beer. Noticing that Sakura was done her rum and coke she rose, “Wanna get out of here?”

“Can we get a sandwich to go?” Sakura asked plaintively.

Mei-lin had to smile, “Sure.

“Leaving so soon?” Umi asked, her expression sympathetic.

“Yeah,” Mei-lin shrugged uncomfortably as she put in a order for two sandwiches to go.

Handing the bag over a few moments later Umi softly said, “Don’t be a stranger, I’m sure Hikaru and Fuu would love to see you.”

They went down the stairs in silence, then Mei-lin unwrapped the sandwiches and passed one to Sakura. “Thanks,” Sakura said as she took a bite, “do you know Umi well?”

“We’ve been friends for a while,” Mei-lin admitted as she munched her own food. She looked at Sakura hesitantly, “This isn’t going to stop you from working with me, will it?”

Saukra reached out and squeezed Mei-lin’s shoulder as she promised, “Of course not.”

Mei-lin was good at reading people, and she was glad to see no nervousness or fear in Sakura’s eyes. “I’m glad,” she smiled.

To be continued....