Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Funhouse ❯ A Difficult Decision ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Funhouse
Chapter 3: A Difficult Decision

At home, Sakura sat on her bed, pondering what she had sworn to do. A while ago, she promised to deliver the Star Key and the Sakura Cards to a strange clown in order to save Yue's life. At the moment, she had been scared, but now she was calm enough to think things over.

Kero-chan noticed the thoughtful look on Sakura's face. "Hey, Sakura, are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm fine, Kero-chan," Sakura tried to assure her friend.

Kero-chan raised an eyebrow. "You don't look fine. You haven't been fine since you heard about the Snow Bunny's disappearance."

Sakura sighed. "I can't believe someone could just take him like that."

Kero-chan crossed his arms and hovered in front of Sakura. "Well, from what you told me, it wasn't easy for whoever took him. He must've changed into Yue and fought back before they overpowered him."

"Who'd do such a thing?" Sakura questioned.

"I'm surprised someone could defeat Yue," Kero-chan said. "After all, he did give you a hard time during the Judgment."

"Do you think it was something magical?" Sakura asked.

"Who knows?" Kero-chan answered with a shrug. "If it is, it's gotta be something more powerful than Clow Read's magic."

"You mean that's possible?" Sakura asked curiously. "Magic that's stronger than Clow-san's?"

"Except for yours? Maybe. I dunno," Kero-chan admitted. "Despite all his faults, Clow Read was pretty powerful." He flew down to Sakura's lap. "Don't worry about it, Sakura. Yue's a tough guy. I'm sure he'll break out of whatever jam he's gotten into."

"I guess you're right, Kero-chan," Sakura said.

"I know I am. Now if you excuse me, I have a video game to beat. I need something to brag to Suppi in your next letter to Eriol. He'll have to start playing video games after he hears of my great exploits. Guy's gotta get his head outta the books more often." Kero-chan flew to the TV and started playing.

Sakura shook her head as Kero-chan got into the game he was playing, then returned her thoughts to her own dilemma. *I wanted to get on with my life, to avoid using magic, but...* Sakura frowned. *Maybe this is the way to go. I promised myself I wouldn't use the Star Key and Sakura Cards anymore.*

"All right!" Kero-chan shouted as he destroyed another enemy and increased his score.

*But Clow-san and Eriol-kun see me as the true heir to the Cards. They trust me to keep this power and use it wisely. I can't give them to that evil clown...*

"Nooooooo!" Kero-chan shouted in agony as he lost a life.

But Yue-san is my friend. I can't let Psycho kill him.*

"Take that! Ha ha!" Kero-chan shouted as he blasted a series of enemies.

*I need to save Yue-san, but if I give Psycho the Cards and the Key, he'll use them for some evil purpose. I may be the only one who can control the cards, but if Psycho could defeat Yue-san, he could do anything. Even control the Cards.*

"Aaaaaaaa!" Kero-chan screamed as he charged the enemy only to get killed.

*I could tell Kero-chan to help me, but if Psycho finds out, he'll kill Yue-san. What will I do? If I don't give Psycho the Cards and Key, he'll kill Yue-san. If I do, he'll do evil with them.*

"Take that!" Kero-chan shouted as he blasted more enemies.

Sakura looked at the teddy bear lying next to her. She picked it up and looked at its little eyes. "Syaoran," she whispered its name, remembering her love's gift to her. She remembered how Syaoran was so brave and supportive of her after he started assisting her in her cardcaptoring. Until a year ago, she did not know about his feelings for her. Once she knew, she felt better when she admitted her own to him. Despite the distance between them, she knew true love could never die and no great distance could stop it. She was sure the love between her and Syaoran was true love.

Sakura touched the bear's face and felt its fur between her fingers. *I wish you were here, Syaoran-kun. What would you do in my place?*

"Aw, man!" Kero-chan cried out as he lost his last life.

Sakura gazed at the bear, then got the answer. *I guess I know what I have to do.*

Kero-chan flew over to Sakura. He was clearly upset. "I can't believe I lost," he fumed.

"Hoe?" Sakura said, not sure what was going on.

"Didn't you see that?" Kero-chan's eyes fell on the bear Sakura was holding. "Hey, were you thinking of that gaki?"

"Hai," Sakura said with some hesitation.

"You can do better than him, you know," Kero-chan remarked.

Sakura smiled at the bear. "I don't think I can. Besides, when I look at this bear, I think about him."

Kero-chan groaned. "I think I'm gonna take another crack at that game." He flew off to try his luck again.

Sakura held the bear to her face. "Thank you, Syaoran-kun," she whispered.

* * * * *

Sakura forced herself awake around 11:45 PM. She looked at her desk and was sure Kero-chan was fast asleep in his drawer. She was confident the large amount of candy and pudding she fed him after dinner was enough to ensure a long sleep. She changed quietly into something warm, then tiptoed to her desk. She opened one drawer carefully and removed the Star Key and Sakura Cards.

"Forgive me, Kero-chan," she whispered to his drawer.

Sakura snuck down the stairs and crept out the front door. She was amazed she did not wake up Touya. Her father was not a big concern. He was working late at the university on some archeological discovery. As she walked away from the house, she was grateful her clothes were warm enough for the cold night. The pure darkness was broken by the street lights, where flying bugs kept warm. When she was at a fairly good distance, she looked around, then took out the Star Key.

She held the Key before her eyes and whispered, "The key that hides the power of the stars. Show your true identity. I, Sakura, command you under the covenant. Release the seal."

With those words, the Star Key grew into the Star Wand. She grabbed it, then took out the Fly card. "Release. Fly," she whispered as she tossed the card in front of her and hit it with her Star Wand.

Wings grew out of her back. With a leap, she spread them and was soon flying in the direction of Tomoeda Yuuen. *Yue-san, I'm coming,* she thought.

Unknown to her, a mechanical bird was following her, transmitting her every move to its master.

* * * * *

Psycho watched as Sakura flew toward his location. "Well, looks like your mistress is coming," he said, turning to Yue and pointing to the screen.

Yue watched the screen. "Mistress..."

Psycho laughed. "Looks like I'll be getting the Cards and the Key after all. She'll do anything to save your winged hide."

Yue glared at his captor. "She won't give them up without a fight."

Psycho grinned. "Yeah, right. Even if she does, it won't matter. If I could defeat you, I can take care of Clow Read's heir. Especially since she's not bringing the big cat."

"You underestimate her, Psycho," Yue told the clown. "She won't be a willing victim."

"Funny, you weren't exactly Mr. Cooperative yourself," Psycho said. "Anyway, I hope she tries to fight back. It'd be really dull if she just lets me kill her so easily."

Yue struggled against his bonds, ignoring the Worm wrapped around his body. "If you even...Aaaaaagh!" He went into another violent seizure.

Psycho laughed as Yue struggled with his seizure. "Oh, I'm so scared, Angel Boy. I believe I will. Commander Shade!"

The Commander appeared next to his superior. "Yes, Master?"

"Get everything ready!" Psycho said excitedly. "We're having a very special guest coming over, and we really must prepare for her arrival."

"As you wish, Master," Commander Shade said, bowing.

Psycho rubbed his hands together. "Stick around, Guardian. The fun's about to start." He smirked as he looked at the incapacitated Moon Guardian. "Oh, wait. You really don't have a choice." He giggled. "You should feel honored. You've got one of the best seats in the house. I hope you enjoy the show. It's a little production I call Death of a Cardmistress. I guarantee it'll be a real showstopper!"

Yue could only watch as Psycho broke out into another fit of maniacal laughter. The villainous clown and his subordinate vanished, leaving Yue to watch the screen. *Mistress, be careful,* he thought as he watched Sakura flying on the screen.