Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Hourglass ❯ Twice Awakening ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN (Author's Note): I really need to crack down on my studying, but this is actually a bit of stress reliever for me. Anyway, I may be able to crank out one more chapter before my life really starts to get hectic, but until then I thank all of you who were kind enough to take the time to read my story and leave a review. I love reviews; they really help to inspire me :) And please feel free to e-mail me, I love making new friends :D So for those who took out the time to leave me a review, here's a little shout out to all of you!

Thank you to xCarCrashHeartx at mediaminer dot org, you were the first to review my story and you really helped encourage me :) At first I thought my story was a big flop because there was no response, but then you popped up and helped make my day :) thank you so much! Chica De Los Ojos Cafe, thank you, you were the first to review my story on FF dot net and I really appreciated it! Although it was a bit surprising that you enjoyed my story upon seeing your profile :D jennycuenca, thank you for not only reviewing my story, but also for putting it on story alert showing how much you must be interested in my writing so far :D dark mirth, thank you as well for your review and putting my story on your alert list! Thank you for also commenting on my writing, I'm glad you think so :D niichoco, thank you so much for not only reviewing and putting my story on your alert list, but also putting it on your favorites list when it's only on the first chapter! Oh, and I loved the faces you made :3 YumYumXP, thank you for reviewing and putting my story on your favorites list when it's only the first chapter! I'm glad you think my story is different and that it has potential!

Also thank you to everyone who put this story on their favorites list when it's only the first chapter (!) to animallover5 and to those who put this story on your alert list, thank you to EvilDunkin-Sama, Hurts 2 b hurt by 1's u luv., Midnight Stone, Miharu-Chan05, Princess Silverstar, animallover5, anjuliet, dark mirth, jennycuenca, niichoco, xXx Let.Me.Go xXx. I hope this chapter continues to engage your interest and maybe even encourages you to leave a(nother) review! Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I don't own Card Captor Sakura.


~*~*~*~*~

Syaoran's eyes snapped open at once.

He was greeted with the sight of a young woman staring down at him. Her green eyes seemed to brighten at the sight of his own amber ones. A cherry blossom hair ornament dangled over her left ear, decorating her short auburn hair save for two wisps that framed her face and hung passed her shoulders. Syaoran had a lot of odd dreams in his lifetime, but never had they involved such a woman staring down at him, nor did they involve a yellow splotch of color hovering just outside of his vision like a blind spot one gets from staring at the sun.

"Good morning." She said brightly, her breath brushing against his face and making him realize just how close she was. He gaped at her, unable to form a single coherent sentence, the situation too absurd to process through his mind.

"I'll help you realize your heart's desire." She said with little preamble.

Syaoran could only stare at her.

She smiled, tilting her head to the side. "Please let me take care of you!"

Syaoran immediately bolted upright, forgetting about her close proximity (or actually becoming all too aware of it) and slammed his forehead against hers.

And that's when everything went to hell.


~*~*~*~*~


The Hourglass

Twice Awakening



~*~*~*~*~





A string of curses left Syaoran's mouth as he clutched a hand to his throbbing forehead. It felt as if he had slammed into a concrete wall instead of someone's head. There was a strange sound at his side, quickly reminding him of his intruder. He took in a ragged breath, forcing open one eye to locate the source of the sound and found the young woman whimpering, both hands covering her forehead as tears prickled at the corners of her eyes.

"Hoe..."

"Are you okay?"

Syaoran started at the Osakan accent that seemed to come somewhere above his head. He looked up and blanched, finding only what he could describe as a stuffed animal with wings hovering just inches from his side. It had immediately descended towards the young woman, placing a small paw over her hands with an expression of concern.

Expression? Syaoran thought in disbelief. It's a piece of yellow fluff--

"Hey, kid!" The Osakan accent that had been full of gentleness and concern immediately turned rough. Syaoran managed to open both of his eyes and realized the voice was originating from the flying ball of fluff. He also found that it was talking to him. "What's your problem?"

The stuffed doll was asking him what his problem was?

"Kero-chan, I'm okay. It's my fault, I surprised him--" His gaze snapped over to the young woman who was now on her knees at his side, both her hands still covering the bump that was no doubtedly forming beneath . She smiled hesitantly.

"So that gives him the right to head butt you?" The stuffed animal sounded outraged.

Syaoran let his hands slip to his sides, scrambling away from the young woman and the stuffed animal to the far end of the couch, his eyes wide. His forehead was now throbbing dully, but it was bearable enough to ignore and give him a chance to fully examine the scene before him.

The young woman looked no older than a teenager, probably the same age. The only odd thing, aside from the fact that she was in his apartment, was the clothing she wore. It resembled a Shenyi, a long full body garment. She wore a thick, silver colored sash around her waist, the garment slitted on either side of her body and stopped just above her ankles. The garment was a pale color of blue and was decorated with red thread weaving into intricate designs of flowers and petals that seemed to have fallen from a tree and merely fused to her clothing. She wore long pants beneath it that were only visible by the slits, tightening near her ankles. Her feet were encased in Han embroidered shoes. She looked as if she had walked out of the Han Dynasty and he was almost opted to believe that was indeed the case if it weren't for her feet that were not bound and the color of her eyes.

That was, of course, that he could assume that it was she. Syaoran stared hard at the intruder, his eyes narrowing. Despite the fact that he had first assumed that this was a woman by her body language and voice, her clothes gave off a definite masculine quality. The face was definitely feminine and the ornament was unmistakable but--

--There had been a lot of traps around as of late. Syaoran grimaced as he recalled the horror stories his classmates had passed onto him after their many trips to Harajuku. It had been a disaster for them, but quite a bit of entertainment for many of the others who were within earshot.

"Are you all right?"

Syaoran snapped out of his thoughts, finding himself face to face with the questionable presence in his apartment and nearly fell off the couch. The intruder was kneeling at his side, staring at him with wide eyes, a noticeable red bump on her forehead.

His first instinct was to give an affirmation in order to keep from being touched, but soon reality kicked in and his fear turned to anger.

"What the hell is going on?" The young woman, he assumed, looked startled at his angry outburst. His eyes darted to the stuffed animal hovering over her shoulder. "How did you get in here? Who are you? And what the hell is that thing?"

"Thing?!" The Thing growled out in outrage,

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She said quickly, looking flustered. "I know you must be very confused, but please calm down--"

"Calm down? You broke into my apartment!"

"Yes." She smiled at him hesitantly. "Yes, I'm sure it looks that way--"

"Get out." Syaoran said shortly, realizing that should have been the first thing to leave his mouth.

"W-wait." She stuttered in her haste. "Please don't be angry, I'm sorry I hit your forehead--"

"He hit your forehead." The Thing told her before turning to direct his next words to him. "And we ain't going anywhere so just sit down and listen."

"Get out!" Syaoran roared, causing both the intruder and Thing to move away in surprise. Without another word, Syaoran promptly grabbed the young girl by her arm and hauled her to her feet. She cried out in surprise, but put up little struggle as she was man handled over to the door, the yellow fluff ball snarling around his head the entire time.

"Get her hands off her, you snot-nosed brat!"

Syaoran said nothing as he yanked open the front door before unceremoniously shoving the young woman out of his apartment. She stumbled and tripped over her own two feet and landed on her side at the foot of his door, her hair ornament falling to the ground with a soft clatter. Thing flew out after her, hovering over her with a mixture of concern and anger. Without so much as a goodbye, for why should he bid goodbye to a possible thief, he shut the door, nearly slamming it against her feet as he did so.

Syaoran didn't realize his breath coming in short pants, his heart racing, until the door had shut and the sound of angry, muffled curses resounded through the cracks of his doorway. Syaoran turned quickly from the door, distancing himself from the voices and constant reminder of what had just taken place. He was still in disbelief, but the sooner he was far from the source of the bizarre events, the sooner it would all go away.

Or so he hoped.

Syaoran had reached the living room in a few long, swift strides, intending to get ready for the day ahead, when he caught sight of the view outside of his sliding door.

It was pitch black.

The crescent moon that hung low with a few stars dotting the evening sky as the only sources of illumination. Hadn't it been morning? His eyes darted around his room in search of a clock, finding the same one he had seen earlier that afternoon.

3:11 AM.

Oh, yes, it was morning indeed.

Groaning, he bent over, slumping onto the first surface he met, which was the back of his couch. He made a fist and pounded the cushion. Why on earth did this have to happen at such an ungodly hour?

More muffled curses drifted into his ears.

Of course, because it was an ungodly occurrence.

Whatever, Syaoran thought wearily as he turned to the light switch for the den in the hallway. I’m positive they’ll be gone by morning.

His hand reached over to the light switch.

He heard the voices more clearly as he moved back into the hallway.

"...all like..."

"No! This brat..."

He grit his teeth together. He had an inkling that they weren't going to leave.

"--snot-nosed... stick up his..."

"Hoe!"

It took only a few seconds for him to yank the door open.

"Shut it!" Syaoran nearly shouted, silencing the two.

"You don't tell me what to do, brat!" The stuffed animal snarled, nearly nose to nose with him once he had gotten over his initial surprise at Syaoran’s outburst.

Syaoran narrowed his eyes. It a moment his hand had wrapped around Thing's body, giving it a firm squeeze. He smiled in satisfaction when a yelp escaped the creature, but it soon fell to his own yelp of pain as it immediately bit down on his hand with little restraint. Cursing aloud, he let go, attempting to shake Thing off, but to no avail. In fact, he could of sworn that a sneer made its way onto Thing's face before it sunk its fangs right through his skin. He let out another yelp of pain, ready to slam it against the wall.

"Stop!"

Syaoran had forgotten about Thing's companion momentarily and was knocked off his feet, air leaving his lungs quickly as he was tackled to the ground. Even Thing had seemed to have forgotten her presence and let go of Syaoran’s hand in surprise, watching as they both tumbled to the ground, then smirking in satisfaction as the door, no longer held back, swung closed and hit his left leg. Syaoran grunted as he was assaulted with new injuries, staring up in a daze at the ceiling.

"Please don't hurt him!" Soon her face filled his vision, wisps of auburn hair brushing against his face lightly.

"For now." Syaoran said shortly, the pain ebbing away. "Now, would you kindly get off?"

"Ho... hoe!" She let out her strange exclamation and quickly scrambled off, allowing him to pull his legs back from the doorway so that the door could close. He sat up, pulling the hand Thing had bitten into view, scowling as two thin streams of blood flowed down his palm, dropping onto his leg and staining his pants.

"Serves you right." Thing said in a lazy voice as it floated by his head. Syaoran promptly lifted up his hand and grabbed it by it's wings, immobilizing it at once. "Hey!"

He increased the pressure on Thing’s wings, silencing him momentarily.

Syaoran looked up at the girl standing with her back to his front door. She looked down at him, fidgeting with her sleeves as her eyes darted between her companion and his own angry gaze.

"Um... um..." She floundered for her words, trembling under his piercing gaze. "I'm so--"

"Were you planning to stay outside my door all night?"

"Um... Well..." She tugged at her sleeves. "I...it...."

Syaoran stared at her hard, causing the young woman to take a step back, but she had barely any room to even lean back, let alone take another step. She hit her back against the hard wood door first before smacking her head soon after. She let out a cry of pain, stumbling to the side only to give herself another bump as the side of her head hit the wall next to her.

The display, pathetic as it was, was enough to stem off Syaoran's inquiries momentarily as he sighed, dropping Thing , that had been struggling during the whole exchange onto the ground with a loud thump. He stood up, putting them both on alert, but he merely turned and headed down the hallway and disappeared around the corner and into the kitchen. He opened one of the cupboards and pulled out a pot, turning one of the knobs on the stove to the highest setting before filling the pot with water. He set it down on the stove before moving to another cupboard to pull out a package of crushes leaves and two mugs.

If there had been a strange woman and a Thing in the entrance of your apartment, you would think he'd be a little more wary. However, he was merely exasperated by the whole ordeal and now that he was over his initial shock and the fact that this wasn't a dream (as the throbbing wound on his hand reminded him. That Thing wasn't poisonous, was it?) made things extremely complicated. Of course, sleep would be the last thing on his mind.

Once the water was sufficiently heated, he proceeded to make two mugs of tea. He turned off the stove and turned to carry the two mugs out only to find the young woman staring at him around the corner timidly. The moment their eyes met, she let out a gasp disappeared from sight. The yellow piece of fluff, however, merely hovered near the spot she had been, glaring at him fiercely. Syaoran returned the sentiments as he headed to the small dining table, setting one mug down in front of an empty chair before taking the one opposite of it. He inhaled the scent of the tea, urging his body to relax before bringing the hot liquid to his lips and down his throat, warming his entire body. He sighed.

Slowly, he opened one eye to find her standing in the hallway, the stuffed animal hovering over her protectively. He closed his eye and took another sip.

"You're tea is getting cold." He said shortly without giving her a second glance.

For a long moment he heard nothing and continued to focus on his tea. It was probably not the smartest move to make with an unpredictable girl in his midst and her possibly rabid Thing in his apartment--

His eyes opened at the sound of the chair moving across the floor. She had taken a seat but made no move to touch the tea.

"I didn't poison it." Syaoran said after another beat of silence.

"And how do we know that for sure?" Thing sneered as it hovered over the mug, leaning over to give it a good sniff before wrinkling its nose and turning away.

"Then don't drink it." He bit out.

The young woman glanced at Thing momentarily, her lips moving as if to say something, but she closed her mouth and turned to look at him then to the steaming mug before her. She pressed her lips together before her hands reached out to the mug. Her eyes darted to his just before she touched the mug, as if asking for permission. Syaoran merely closed his eyes and took another sip. He missed the constant glances as she hesitantly wrapped her fingers around the mug and slowly brought it to her lips.

"It's delicious." He opened his eyes once again.

"Sakura!" Thing was obviously displeased by her actions.

"Thank you." She said quietly, smiling at him warmly, ignoring Thing’s words. He watched her with a narrowed gaze as she took another sip, almost glowing from the warmth it seemed to spread throughout her body.

"So," She looked up at the sound of his voice, momentarily startled. He eyed her closely as his earlier thoughts resurfaced. "What are you?"

He knew his question was rude, but he was a tad short on manners, as well as patience, as anyone else would be in his situation.

"Oh... oh!" Her smile immediately brightened and she placed her cup down. "I'm a djinn!"

"A... what?" Of all the responses he expected, this one hadn't even come close. In fact, he hadn't expected her to give such a clear cut answer at all. Although, it actually brought more questions rather than clearing things up.

"A djinn." She repeated, her hesitance seemed to have completely dissipated at his sudden 'interest' and willingness to listen (although that may be a bit exaggerated if you were to ask him). "I'll help you realize your heart's desire--"

"I know." He cut in, his patience running thin. "You said that."

"Yeah, but if you let her finish, you'd get your answer, brat." Thing said under his breath and Syaoran shot him a dark look. He stuck on his tongue as he descended down to his companion's mug.

"Yes. I'll grant any wish you desire in order to help you." She told him with another smile.

"All... right." Syaoran stared at her over his mug. "Then what is that thing."

"You want to start something--"

"His name is Cerberus." She said quickly in hopes of avoiding another fight. "He's my guardian and guide."

"Guardian?" Syaoran repeated slowly.

She nodded.

"I've never heard of a djinn needing a guardian. Or a guide." He snorted.

"Oh?" The stuffed animal, that was supposedly named Cerberus, drawled. "And how many have you met?"

There was a beat of silence. Syaoran stood up, sliding his chair back.

"Leave."

"Hoe?!"

"If we're going to go through this every time we try to explain something to you, this is going to take all night."

Syaoran looked over at the talking stuffed animal., his patience never stretched any thinner. It was all he could do to keep himself from strangling its furry little neck. Losing his temper to a stuffed animal of all things--

"Please don't be angry!" Syaoran's gaze returned to the girl sitting before him. Her eyes were wide and she was once against fiddling with her sleeves. "We're telling the truth. Please believe me."

Syaoran couldn't help but stare as her voice took on a note of sincerity. He slowly eased back into his seat, his eyes narrowing. He had to admit, the flying stuffed animal was a trick far more complex than he had ever encountered and he had no idea what this girl would gain from him by trying to fool him with such an extravagant act.

"All right." Syaoran said slowly. "Let's say I bite--"

Her eyes widened.

"--and believe your story." Syaoran leaned over the table, his forearms pressing into the wood as it supported his weight so he could tower over the young woman. "You're telling me you can grant my every wish?"

"Yes and no." She answered, her eyes still wide, but her voice took on a tone of delight at his 'acceptance.' "May I ask you a question before we continue?"

He grunted noncommittally, fully intent on finding out what she meant by 'yes and no.'

"What must you bite to believe me?"

"It's an expression." He sighed in exasperation. "It means that I'll take your story; hook, line and sinker."

"Oh." She said as if she had a complete understanding, but it was obvious that she was still confused.

"I believe you." He said flatly.

She smiled, but then it faltered.

"You didn't believe me before?" She frowned. "I thought you just said--"

"No. Yes. I mean, no." Syaoran nearly growled at the array of emotions crossing the young woman's face as he gave into the urge to run a hand through his tousled hair. "I'm not saying I believe you, I'm just saying that for the sake of moving along that I do believe your story."

"Give up, Sakura. He's brain is obviously too tiny to comprehend the truth." The stuffed animal said, staring intently at the steaming liquid. She seemed to take the hint and carefully tilted the mug so he could take a sip. He licked his chops as she pulled the mug away. "But he does make a good cup of tea, poisoned or not."

"I'm flattered." Syaoran grounded out sarcastically, earning a smile dripping with sugar from the yellow fluff ball. He turned to the young woman. "All right, djinn, grant me a wish."

"Hoe?" She blinked. "R-right now?"

"Yes. Right now." Syaoran ran a finger along the rim of his mug, his eyes never leaving hers. "I wish--"

"W-wait--" She began to protest. Syaoran couldn't help but smirk, his hand stilling against his mug. Had he already ruined her little game?

"--for an apple." He finished simply.

He leaned back in self-satisfaction. The young woman could only stare at him as her companion looked up at him in disbelief, then let his own smirk work its way onto his face. When he caught sight of this, he arched a brow, his smirk faltering in the slightest, but upon seeing the perturbed look on the young woman's face, he quickly regained his cocky expression. Her game was about to be over in a few seconds and he would be able to put an end to her charade--

"As you wish."

Syaoran blinked in surprise when she stood up, her eyes shut tightly before making her way to the kitchen. The moment she took her first step, Syaoran felt a great weight on his chest. His breath left him in a great rush as his body became heavy and a wave of exhaustion swept over him. Unable to keep himself upright, he swung his arms, nearly knocking his mug over as he grasped the edge of the table, pulling himself forward to lean on his forearms heavily. He closed his eyes, his body swaying in the slightest as his head move closer to the table.

He actually felt the slight brush of air of the apple being set on the table before he managed to force his eyes open to see the red object before him. He blinked slowly. Somehow, despite the fact that his mind was fuzzy and his vision blurring from his exhaustion, he noticed something rather familiar about the apple...

"You got that from the kitchen." He sounded almost outraged.

"I did." She affirmed.

"How did you--that's not..." Syaoran was quite sure that there was no way she could of known there had been a stash of apples hidden in the back of his refrigerator, but then again any idiot would have thought to check his kitchen, right? He was the idiot for making such a simple request--

"I would like to ask," She began quietly, her voice quivering and gaining his full attention. "That you reframe from making such silly wishes."

"It serves him right." The stuffed animal snorted. She shot him a look and he said no more.

He was only mildly interested in the fact that his wish seemed to cause her great discomfort, but not enough to actually inquire to why she would make such a request. If she were a djinn that was here to grant his every wish, which he still doubted, wouldn't it be easier for her to grant him 'silly' simple wishes?

He had just about enough of her act.

"I wish you'd leave." Syaoran mumbled, once again standing on his feet. He lifted his hand to rub at his tired eyes.

"As you wish."

The moment those words left her lips, Syaoran felt another wave of exhaustion hit him, sending him to his knees. He managed to catch one hand on the table to keep from collapsing onto the ground, but his grip was weak and soon he was on his side, feeling as if all his energy had been taken from him. He squeezed his eyes shut, his jaw tightening as he slowly pushed himself to his knees, reaching up blindly to catch the table once again to pull himself onto his feet. His consciousness leaving him quickly, Syaoran struggled to prop himself onto is forearms, lifting his head in the slightest, but it felt as if he were moving through sand and slowly being sucked under.

The last thing he saw was the back of the stranger as she headed towards the front door without so much as a backward glance.


~*~*~*~*~


Syaoran awoke in the same manner he had earlier. A pair of luminous green eyes were staring down at him and his eyes were once again drawn to the cherry blossom ornament hanging down near her ear. For a moment he thought that things were going to repeat themselves and she would greet him in the same manner as she had before. However, he was not greeted with a smile as he returned to reality. Instead, her brows furrowed together and her lips turned down into a frown.

"I do not want to remind you to stop making foolish wishes." She told him quietly. She reached toward his face and, unable to stop, he flinched. Her hand stilled and her frown became a sad smile, but then her hand continued towards his face and he felt something cool being removed from his forehead. She had removed a wash cloth from his damp forehead and turned to dip it into a shallow bowl, wringing it out once before moving to wipe his face. He grudgingly admitted to himself that her gentle ministrations were helpful in soothing the dull throbbing behind his eyes that he became all too aware of from the moment he regained consciousness.

"Yo, brat." It was still here. "Finally awake, are you?"

"Is this some never ending nightmare?" Syaoran mumbled. His impromptu nurse's frown returned and the stuffed animal bore it's fangs into a mocking grin.

"No, but if that's what you want--"

"Kero-chan!" 'Kero's grin faltered and he slowly floated away, pouting.

"I'm just saying--" Another stern look and Kero was silent.

"What happened?" Syaoran asked in a daze, pushing her hand and the wash cloth away as he struggled to sit up. She immediately came to his aide, but he once again waved off her offer, managing to support himself. She moved away in response to his actions, catching the hint that he did not want her help.

"You made a wish--"

"Yeah. The apple." Syaoran narrowed his eyes at her as he recalled the earlier events. "I remember."

"Yes, there was that." She placatingly agreed. "You also made another wish before you fainted."

He stiffened at the term she used, but he ignored it in order to satisfy his curiosity.

"Another wish?"

"Yes." She confirmed with a nod and small smile. "You wished for me to leave."

"All right." He said slowly, frowning. "Apparently that wish didn't work very well, did it?"

Ignoring his biting sarcasm, she shook her head. "No, it did. I left."

"But?"

"I came back."

"Right. Obviously." Syaoran resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He was nowhere closer to believing her story than he had been before. It seemed that they both sensed his skepticism.

"If you really want me to go," She began softly, her hands once again fidgeting with her sleeves. "You should wish that I stay away forever."

"I see." Syaoran said shortly as he raised a hand to his face, rubbing his temples in an attempt to soothe the dull pounding against his skull. "I'll do just that."

She said nothing in response, but her hands stilled. Syaoran took no notice as he stumbled to his feet. He did notice when she shot up to her own feet, hovering near him in an almost protective manner. He glanced over at her to find her green eyes wide with concern. He looked away with a short shake of his head and made his way to the kitchen. She made no attempt to actually help him, but he could feel her presence following at his heels as he managed to locate a bottle of aspirin in one of his cabinets. She stayed at the entrance to the kitchen, hesitant to come any closer as he filled a glass cup of water. Popping two pills into his mouth, he took a large gulp of water and placed the glass onto the counter before turning to her. She tensed up, predicting the next words that would come from his mouth.

"All right."

She closed her eyes, her hands tightening into fists at her sides, hidden within the sleeves of her outfit.

"Who are you?"

She nearly stumbled at his unexpected question, jerking her head up to find his amber gaze boring into her. She shivered and stumbled back, her left foot twisting behind her right and sending her crashing onto the floor. She whimpered at the pain that jolted from her rump up her spine.

"A-ah. Always the klutz." Kero said with a tut. Syaoran ignored him as he approached the young woman, but even as she looked up at him in surprise he made no move to help her up. Instead, he crouched down to her level, his eyes narrowing.

"Who are you?" He repeated quietly.

Her mouth seemed to go dry and her throat constricted, but somehow she managed to answer his question.

"Sakura."

A smirk cracked his stern countenance as he stretched his hand out to her. She flinched as he moved his hand to her face, but he merely brushed his fingers against the cherry blossom ornament in her hair.

"Of course." He said. "That would be your name, wouldn't it?"

She continued to look at him, bewildered. Kero, however, descended upon them, his disapproval of Syaoran's close proximity to his charge apparent as his growls increased in volume. Ignoring him, Syaoran continued.

"Is that all?"

Sakura blinked at him, then slowly shook her head.

"No." She said quietly. "There are other things I must explain, such as the price--"

"No, that's not what I meant." He said in irritation, but her words struck him with a cold chill running down his spine. "The what?"

"The price for your wishes." She explained. "As well as the rules and conditions."

"Price?" Syaoran repeated, his eyes widening at the sudden realization. "Then... earlier... I had..."

Unable to complete his sentence, Kero chose that moment to help Syaoran, just this once.

"That's right, brat."

Both Syaoran and Sakura were startled to find Kero hovering at their side. It was only Syaoran, however, who felt the bottom of his stomach drop when Kero flashed him a menacing grin.

"Wishes don't come free."


~*~*~*~*~



Additional AN: Before you go further in the story, there are a few twists and turns that will be revealed in later chapters, so for now there will be a few things left in the dark. Second of all, if you're expecting romance right off the bat, you're sadly mistaken. I might throw in a few bits here and there for the first few chapters because I'm a romantic at heart--however, you need to remember that Syaoran found a strange girl inside his apartment at three in the morning--oh yeah, that's a winner that you'd fall head over heels for, right? I think you'd be more than a little freaked out, especially when she spouts off crazy things like 'I'll take care of you and grant you're every wish.' Crazy, much? Haha. That and the story's rating might go up, but it won't be too explicit.

Any questions, comments, criticism, etc. you want to send my way? Please feel free to e-mail or review me right here, I'll be more than happy to respond to you as soon as I can. Your support is much appreciated :) I hope you enjoyed my story!


~*~*~*~*~


Chapter 3 Preview (Tentative)

“How do you know Li-kun?” He asked her kindly.

“He helped me.” She smiled up at him brightly. “He is a very important person to me, I would do anything to make him happy.”

There was a long beat of silence. Syaoran wanted nothing more than to shove his hand into the nearest blender, or perhaps shove her hand instead. If it had been anyone, anyone else, he wouldn’t have cared, but no. It had to be him, of all people.

“That’s quite a surprise.” Syaoran didn’t have to turn around to recognize that cold and familiar voice. The one that always managed to rub him the wrong way.