Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The New Cousin ❯ Coming to Japan and Revelations ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Dina stares down at Hong Kong as it fades from sight and sighs, now fifteen years old, almost sixteen and doing something she never thought she would: running away.

The teenager turns away from the window and sits back to get comfortable and gets her book out to read in an attempt to keep from second-guessing what she just did.

Dina jumps a little when the captain's voice comes over the speakers, announcing they are about to land and hastily puts her book away.

She looks out the window and down at Japan, watching as the plane starts to sink towards the airport.

The tall girl rises after the warning lights go out and picks up her backpack, waiting to leave the plane and mutters. "I hate planes.."

Dina scrambles away from the blasted plane and goes to get her suitcase, promising herself she will never fly again.

She stands there with her suitcase for a moment and then starts to walk away from the airport wishing she knew where to find her cousin's apartment.

Dina asks an adult where the Tomoeda school is and then heads in that direction having found out she was only a few blocks away from it.

The teenager gets strange looks as she walks down the street, wearing forest green cargo pants and a black shirt with a large silver dragon that wraps around from the front to the back, her outfit being completed by army boots. She wears her short hair in a French braid that ends in a short ponytail and her skin is tan.

Dina stops outside the school and fingers her orb necklace that contains her sword, staring at the school and wonders if Syaoran feels her.

Syaoran jerks out of his trance and looks around, sensing a strong magical force and then glares at Eriol, thinking he's the one who gave off the magical feeling.

Eriol holds back his smile, having sensed Dina Li's aura from blocks away and made it feel different to Syaoran, liking to play pranks on his "relative."

Sakura turns her head some and looks at Syaoran, silently asking if he knows that aura, a worried look in her eyes that is barely hidden.

Syaoran gives his head a small shake causing Sakura to look even more worried. He glances out the window, searching for what he senses but sees nothing.

The boy glares at the clock, trying to make it go faster, waiting impatiently for school to end. The moment he glances down the bell rings and Syaoran gets to his feet fast. "Sakura? You felt that right?" He questions the green-eyed girl who is standing in front of him.

"Yea. Do you think it's someone after my cards?" Sakura asks, very worried by this time. She looks at Syaoran as he speaks.

Syaoran shrugs. "I can't say, we'll find out soon enough though." He walks out with Sakura, keeping an eye out for anything strange, hoping nothing big is going to happen.

Sakura notices a taller girl standing by the entrance of the school. "Hey Syaoran who do you think that is?" She points towards Dina.

Syaoran turns and looks towards where Sakura is pointing, his eyes widening and starts to jog for the girl, shouting. "Dina!" He can't believe his cousin is here in Japan.

Dina grins and hugs him. "How are you Xiao Lang?" She looks down at him and messes up his hair. "And you haven't gotten your hair to behave huh?"

Syaoran blushes some, smiling up at her sheepish. "Yea and I'm called Syaoran here, Dina." He pauses then asks. "What are you doing here?"

Dina sighs and goes to answer when she spots Sakura and casually sidesteps his question. "This must be Ying Fa, right?"

Syaoran scowls at her then nods. "Yes, that's Sakura, the card mistress. And you didn't answer my question, Dia." He wonders why she refused to answer him.

Dina shrugs, trying to play it off. "I thought you could use my help. What you don't want me here?" She looks down at her cousin, wondering if this was a good idea.

Syaoran goes red in the face. "I never said that, Dia. I just thought you were suppose to be married today." The boy gets upset on believing he's going to make his cousin leave.

Dina flinches as he says that and looks at him. "I'll tell you later ok? But first I want to get to know Sakura and everything that's happening."

Syaoran eyes her but nods in agreement. "Alright, but you are going to tell me." The boy glances at Sakura then back at Dina. "Let's drop your stuff off at my place and then get some ice cream."

Dina nods and goes to follow but stops, turning to the side and her eyes narrow having sensed something that feels oddly familiar. .

Syaoran pauses when he notices his cousin isn't there and turns, seeing her staring at something. "Dia?" He frowns slightly, wondering why she's so jumpy and if he can help her with what he can tell is bothering her.

Dina shakes her head, having a bad feeling but joins her cousin and his friend. "It's nothing..."

Eriol stares down to where Dina, Syaoran and Sakura are walking away, looking thoughtful. "She is stronger then I thought. I must be careful now."

Dina dumps her bags inside her cousin's apartment and follows them to the ice cream parlor, thinking about what she felt outside the school.

Sakura whispers to Syaoran. "I can't believe she's your cousin. Does the clan allow her to dress like that?"

Syaoran shakes his head. "Before I left Hong Kong, she started to get into trouble for that, the elders weren't happy with her."

Sakura glances at Syaoran. "Well I like her, she's nice. How long will she be here?" She glances back at Dina. "She's nothing like Meiling."

"Got me. I didn't even know she was coming, Sakura. But I hope she stays awhile." Syaoran replies. "And I'm glad she's not like Meiling, Dia and I are close.

Sakura notices they're at the ice cream parlor and goes inside to the counter and orders herself a double mint ice cream cone.

Syaoran orders plain chocolate ice cream, which earns him a bored look from Dina.

"Gee cousin, can you get anything more boring?" Dina studies the list and orders herself a double chocolate peanut butter ice cream cone.

Syaoran stares at the thing she's holding and shakes his head as they sit down. "I'll stick with plain chocolate." He eats his ice cream, waiting patiently for Dina to talk, knowing full well she'll talk when she's ready and not before.

Dina smirks as she eats, taking the time to think of what to ask them. The teenager pauses for a moment. "Little wolf, what is happening around here? Your last letter said strange things were happening."

Syaoran glances around then faces his cousin. "Weird things like someone is trying to either hurt Sakura or test her. It all started when that exchange student from England came here."

Dina thrums her fingers against the table, looking thoughtful. "What's his or her name?" She tries to shake her odd feeling that she's missing something.

Sakura speaks up. "Eriol." The girl pauses. "I think he's nice."

The boy scowls again. "That doesn't mean he isn't hiding something, Sakura. We have to be careful."

Dina frowns having a funny feeling but shrugs it off as she finishes her ice cream. "Don't worry, Sakura."

Dina rises and looks at her cousin. "Be careful, I'll meet you back at your place later. I'm going for a walk." She walks away.

Sakura looks towards Syaoran and blinks. "Let's follow her." She scrambles out the door and after the older girl.

"Sakura!" Syaoran shouts as he chases the girl he likes.

Dina climbs the tree, knowing they were following her and watches them pass under her and mutters softly. "I must talk to my dear cousin and I know for a fact he won't like what I have to say."

Dina slides out of the tree and starts walking then stops with a curse. "Damn it I forgot where he lived.."

The girl tugs on her short braid in annoyance, totally lost and looks around then sighs heavily.

Dina starts to walk in a direction that looks good when she feels a surge of magic and spins, starting to sprint in that direction.

Dina summons her sword as she enters the park, looking around and spots Syaoran and Sakura and pauses for a moment then her eyes widen as the magic surges higher.

With a shout she races at them, shouting. "Get down!" Dina slams into the two younger kids, pushing them down as she lands on them to shield them as a blast of magic passes overhead.

Dina rolls off of them then sits up, looking at Sakura and Syaoran. "You two alright?"

Sakura nods as she stands. "Yes and thanks for the warning." She calls out for her wand and faces where the magic came from.

Syaoran gives Dina a look but shrugs and brushes himself off, standing next to Sakura.

Dina backs up knowing to watch their backs in case and starts to look around, worried that something she can't help with will happen.

The older girl glances at where Sakura and her cousin are battling shadow creatures and fights her instinct to protect them.

Dina mutters. "C'mon you two I know you're both strong if your auras are anything to judge by."

Sakura calls Shield to protect her and Syaoran from the shadow creatures that are attacking them.

Syaoran slices through a shadow creature only to be thrown backwards.

Dina shouts something and a bubble appears, as Syaoran is about to hit a tree and catches him.

Syaoran rolls off the bubble, sending Dina a look of thanks then races back for Sakura.

Dina paces along the trees, scanning the area and pauses, staring at a tree. "Who's there?" For some reason she feels nervous as she stands there, like something bad is going to happen soon.

Spinal Moon looks at his master. "Should I take care of her, master?" The cat guardian watches the girl with interest in his eyes.

Eriol shakes his head. "No, not yet. I may find a use for her. She is very strong." The blue haired boy stares down at where Dina is scanning the trees. "It is time to go."

Dina turns when she hears a yelp and sees Syaoran looking around as the shadow creatures all vanish.

Sakura sits there, staring at where a shadow creature was then down at her injury, having fallen and landed on a sharp rock as the shadow creature she was fighting vanished.

Dina walks up to them and crouches. "Let me see your arm." She places her hand several inches above the cut.

Sakura holds her arm out slowly and watches as Dina mutters a healing spell and light gathers around Sakura's arm, healing the shallow cut.

Sakura blinks. "A healing spell, Syaoran can't do that. Or can you?" The green-eyed girl looks up at him.

"No, only the adults in the clan or those who have been taught the advanced spells can. I'm not old enough yet." Syaoran says.

Dina shrugs as she stands again. "I'm best with healing and element spells. I'm ok with shields or safety spells but I totally suck at floating and translation spells."

Dina glances back at the trees then at them again. "It's getting late, you should go home Sakura."

Sakura nods. "Thanks again for healing my arm." She turns to Syaoran. "See you at school." With that the girl runs off.

The boy turns to his cousin. "It's time we talked, Dia. Let's go home." With that he turns and heads for his apartment as his cousin trails along behind him.

Dina glances at the trees one last time as she turns the corner then faces forward again. "Great..I'm going crazy."

Syaoran unlocks his door and walks in, heading for the couch. "Alright, Dina, you sidestepped this for long enough. What are you doing here? I thought today was your wedding."

An unusually soft voice answers him. "It was. I ran away, little wolf. I couldn't make myself marry him so I left." Dina tries to keep her voice steady as she talks.

He turns to her in shock, surprised one of the few people he looks up to did something like that. "The clan doesn't know do they? I'm the only one who knows where you are?"

Dina nods slowly. "I left a note saying goodbye and not to look for me." She pauses then keeps going. "I came here to see if you needed help. I really doubt I'll be able to stay long before the clan finds me..but I'm here for now."

Syaoran paces, now worried himself. "The clan won't be happy, Dia, they might even kick you out for this!" He tries to think of ways to help his cousin. "Well while you're here you should enroll in the high school. But what are you going to do once the clan finds you?"

"We'll handle that when we come to it and I was planning on enrolling tomorrow. I'm going to stay as long as I can." Dina answers, her voice quiet.