Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Second Generation Cardcaptors ❯ Ishi No Kiseki ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Second Generation Cardcaptors 28

Makoto: Last time, *sniff*, after I asked Akiko out on a date, Shinji helped me *sniff* plan it. We went to the *sniff* local fair and Akiko and I had lots of fun. *cries* Meeko: Calm, down, it's okay. I'll continue. *pats her brother on the back* That's when the Fiery attacked. It was meaner… something was wrong… Makoto: She knew! *wails* Somehow she knew I'd be attacked! She gave her life for me! And now it's gone! Meeko: Daijobu, daijobu…it's not over yet. Makoto: *looks up* Nani? Meeko" *smiles*

Meeko played with the sushi around on her plate, not really that interested in finishing her meal. Syaoran and Sakura were silent. Even Kero wasn't enjoying his meal. Makoto hadn't touched his meal. He simply sat there at the family dining table, staring out into space.
"So…how's school been?" Sakura attempted to start a conversation.
"Yes, didn't you have that piano recital coming up?" Syaoran asked.
Meeko nodded sadly. "Hai, demo, Akiko was going to sing the solo to it…"
"Now she's done…" Makoto said in a monotone. He got up abruptly. "May I be excused?"
Sakura nodded sadly. Makoto left without another word. Meeko looked at her parents, who nodded, and she followed her brother upstairs to their room.
Syaoran rubbed his temples and sighed. "If this goes on…" He shook his head.
"He hasn't eaten anything in three days."
"That's what I mean! This has to stop!"
Kero finally spoke up. "Hey Gaki, he just lost his best friend! Give him a break!"
Syaoran glared at the guardian beast. "Gaki? You haven't called me that since I was younger."
Kero flew up and stared at Syaoran right in the eye. Golden eyes met amber solemnly. "That's what you have to be right now. You can't think like a father. He needs a friend, not a parent."
Sakura began to clean up the dishes. "Come on now…we have to visit Tomoyo and Eriol. Give them our condolences."
Syaoran nodded. "Hai, we should."

Meeko sat next to Makoto, as he cried on her shoulder. "Why? Why did she do it? Why did she have to die?"
"She did it for you. She cared for you a great deal." Meeko tried to comfort her twin. "Don't let her sacrifice be in vain."
Makoto sniffed and tried to stop crying, which only resulted in hiccups.
There was a knock at the door and Syaoran quietly opened it. "Um…can I have a moment alone with Makoto, onegai?" He politely asked Meeko.
Meeko nodded and jumped down from the top bunk. "Sure, I can go downstairs and help mom real quick."
She left and Syaoran came into the room, closing the door behind him. "So…you planning on starving yourself for Akiko's sake?"
Makoto pouted sadly. "No point anymore."
Syaoran came and put his arms crossed on the top bunk. "Don't you think Akiko would want you to eat?"
Makoto turned his gaze away. "Maybe…but Akiko's dead. So what does it matter?"
"It matters to us. Your mom and me. Akiko was close to us also, and we don't want to lose you too." He said gently.
Makoto sighed in despair. "I feel an emptiness inside me…and I don't know what to do."
Syaoran put a hand on his son's knee. "If you aren't careful, that emptiness will eat you inside and out. It will make you cold and uncaring."
Makoto looked up at his father in a new light. Something in his voice…Makoto couldn't place it, but he could sense a deep pain in his father's heart…something buried deep in the past.
"My…father…died when I was little." Syaoran started. "Afterwards, my mom, your grandmother, increased my training. I was either in school, learning proper swordsmanship, or practicing new magic skills, all in preparation for me to one day, take my place as the new Li Clan Leader. I rarely got any sleep." He explained.
Makoto looked at his father with a furrowed brow. "What happened?"
Syaoran turned his gaze out the window. "I…turned into a different person. I rarely talked to anyone, and made it a point not to make any friends." He paused. "My heart turned cold and I was mean to everyone."
Syaoran sighed in memory. I was mean to Sakura…
"It was because I let the emptiness form my father's death consume me, take over, and I didn't know who I truly was anymore."
Makoto sniffed and stared down at his hands. "I miss her so much…"
"Hai, I know, demo…" He half smiled at his son. "You have to move on."
Makoto nodded.
"Dad! Mom's ready to go!" Meeko's voice shouted from downstairs.
"Hai!" Syaoran shouted back. "We'll be right back." He was sort of uncomfortable. "If you ever want to talk…"
Makoto nodded with his first smile since the previous week. "Hai, arigatou."
Syaoran nodded and left Makoto with his thoughts.
Makoto sighed and laid back in his bed. I wish I could bring her back…
You can…
Makoto shot up in bed. "Nani? Who's there?"
Don't you remember your old classmate?
Makoto watched as before him, none other than Hitori, materialized. "Nani?"
Hitori smiled slightly. "I haven't much time to explain, so listen carefully. If you read the book of magic your sister has hidden, there's a spell that can bring your friend back. There isn't much time. The stone is in the library." She began to fade. "Have faith."
"Hitori! Matte!" Makoto begged.
"The stone…in the library." Then she was gone.
Makoto stared at the spot where his friend had just been. What had he just seen? Wasn't Hitori gone?
The book…
The Magic Book…
He had to try.

Meeko gave her mom a kiss goodbye and Syaoran gave her a peck on the top of her head. "You guys be good."
"Hai!" Meeko waved goodbye and closed the door.
"Meeko!!"
Meeko startled and ran upstairs. She burst through the door. "Nanda?" (Same as "Nani" I think)
"The magic book! Where is the magic book you were reading a few weeks ago?"
Meeko blinked. "It's under my bed, doushite?"
Without answering, Makoto ran to the bottom bunk and dove underneath it. He shuffled through their duel possessions until he found what he was looking for.
He crawled back out and plopped down on the bottom bunk. Meeko sat down next to him. "What are you looking for?"
Makoto handed the book over to his sister. "Please, just flip through it and search for anything that has to do with stones." Makoto asked desperately.
Meeko nodded, sensing his urgency. "Alright." She opened it up and began skimming through the Chinese characters.
Makoto did too, seeing if there was anything he could recognize, since he still couldn't read traditional Chinese script.
"Hmm…there are a lot of spells here." She spotted one that looked interesting. "Turning your pets into pastries." She laughed. "We have to use that one on Kero sometime."
Makoto ignored the comment and skimmed the next page, when something caught his eye. "What does this say?" He pointed to the spell.
Meeko turned her gaze to the indicated paragraph and began reading. "Lost long ago, Ishi no Kiseki was believed to be grant unimaginable power to the beholder. "Meeko looked up. "Ishi no Kiseki…the Stone of Miracles…wonder where it is…"
The stone is in the library…
"The library!" Makoto got up and ran out the door.
"Matte! Makoto! What are you talking about?" Meeko ran after him, down the stairs and into the basement, which had the library.
Makoto threw open the basement door and flicked on the light. "It has to be here!" He began opened his senses to pinpoint the stone's location.
Meeko walked in behind him. "What's going on? What are we looking for?"
Makoto sighed and came up with a quick explanation. "Hitori came to me in a dream. Told me to find the stone. It'll bring Akiko back."
Meeko gasped. "Well why didn't you say so?" She joined in the search and pulled books off the shelf, looking for the stone. She came to a spot where the Clow Book had been and gasped.
Makoto sensed her sudden excitement and ran to her. "Did you find it?"
Meeko pulled out the row of books and revealed a keyhole…behind where the book of Clow had been. "I think so…"
Makoto examined it carefully. "We need the key…"
Key…
Key…
"Key!" Both exclaimed. Meeko smiled and reached around her neck and pulled out her key, which turned into her staff whenever she called upon it. Carefully, slowly, she placed it in the hole…


The lock glowed and its light made the two squint and cry out. Had they made a mistake? The Light became so bright, that it consumed them and they disappeared.

Meeko groaned and opened her eyes. "Huh?"
Makoto woke up besides her and echoed her bafflement. "Doko? (Where?)
Meeko shrugged and took Makoto's offered hand and stood up.
Descendants of Clow! A voice boomed out of nowhere.
Both twins went back-to-back, wand and sword instantly in hand.
"Who's there?"
"Show yourself!"
You seek the Ishi no Kiseki?
Both nodded. "Hai."
Then prove yourselves worthy! The voice responded and a growling could be heard from the sides of the darkened room. The twins gasped as red and yellow wolf eyes came out into view. Defend yourselves!
Meeko gasped as the wolves inched closer. "What does it expect us to do to defeat things so big and ferocious?" She asked in a wavered voice.
Makoto narrowed his eyes. "If it wants us to fight these wolves to get the Ishi no Kiseki," He went into a battle stance. "Then that's what we'll do! This is for Akiko!" He yelled out her name as a battle cry and attacked.
Meeko nodded her head in agreement. "Right!" Then she rushed in as well.
Three wolves went to each child, and Makoto took out a card. "Jump!" Wings appeared on his heels and just as one wolf lunged, Makoto jumped, slamming down his sword on its back. It yelped in pain, and fell to the ground. Makoto landed on the other side, and turned to face the other two closing in…
Meeko used fly and flew over the wolves, smacking it in the head, and getting it very mad. "Oops…okay, wrong tactic." She took out another card. "Arrow!" She fired her arrows, injuring two of the three. The third lunged and had her pinned. "Makoto!" She cried out.
Makoto growled. "Fiery!" Fiery formed in front of her and began to spin, while Makoto hit the deck. The wolves turned to this new adversary, only to be turned to ash as its flame licked at their flesh, and burned them to a chard cinder.
Meeko grunted and rolled out from under the wolf that had pinned her and sat up panting. Makoto came running to her. "You okay?"
"Hai, daijobu. You?"
"Nothing's broken." He replied.
You have done well, but it is not over yet! Just then, the walls began to shake.
Meeko looked around. "Is it me, or are the walls getting closer?"
Makoto gasped in understanding. "He's going to crush us!"
"We have to get out of here!"
Makoto thought for a moment and turned to his sister. "Do you trust me?"
"What? What kind of question is that? You're my brother, of course I do!" Meeko said with a frown. "Just get us out of here!"
Makoto nodded and threw forward a card, striking it with his sword. "Change!" He focused on his idea, praying it would work, and sure enough…
"Makoto! What did you do?" His sister asked with a squeal.
Makoto opened his eyes and looked down, to see his idea had worked! They were both now birds, and had the ability to fly easily. "Yes! Now we can fly out of here!" He said, over the rumbling sound.
"I could have used Fly for that!" Meeko protested.
"But could you could get through that hole up there?" He looked up with his beak, and showed his sister a small ray of light that managed to get through a little crack.
Meeko smiled (if she could). "You're a genius! Let's get out of here!" She rose up into the air and began to fly out of the room.
"Matte!" Makoto flew after her. "Look out for rubble falling down!" He dodged a rock himself as he sped after her.
"Ahh!" She dodged one too, but kept flying higher. This is for Akiko! Remember that! She dodged more debris, until she flew through the crack and into open light.
Makoto wasn't far behind, and after they had gotten a safe distance away, they settled down and he recalled change. They panted and looked around them. "This keeps getting weirder and weirder." He commented.
Meeko nodded and looked on in astonishment. There were hills and trees all around them. "Some kind of field or valley?" She guessed.
"This is my home, now." A voice said. The two turned and saw a teenage boy coming up, dressed in a tan robe, with a bright red sash. "You two did well. Why do you wish for the Ishi no Kiseki?" He asked.
Makoto stood up. "We need it to save our friend." He said quietly. "She…died saving me, and I have to save her."
"I see…" The boy smiled. "It takes great dedication, to go through so much for a friend like that. I will grant you what you wish."
Meeko smiled. "You'll bring back Akiko?"
He shook his head. "That I can not do." They saddened. "But you can."
"Nani!" Both exclaimed.
The youth put his hand over his head and a light began to glow. A stone formed and lowered into his hands. "Here. This is the Ishi no Kiseki, or Stone of Miracles." He handed it to Makoto. Then he dug into his robes and took out a scroll. He handed that to Meeko. "This is the spell to bring back your friend. You will need a lot of power, but being descendants of Clow, I think you will do it." He bowed in respects.
"How do we get back?" Makoto asked.
"I will send you back. You have my best wishes. Good luck!"
"Who are you?" Meeko shouted, as she and her brother began to fade away.
"You may call me, Amiboshi." He said. (I just love that name so much I couldn't help it!) Then they faded away.

Meeko was the first to awaken, and notice they were back in the basement. "Kids we're home!" Meeko gasped and shook her brother awake.
Both kids ran upstairs. Syaoran observed them carefully. "What were you doing in the basement?"
"Oh, you know, we were just practicing in the training room, that's all." Makoto thought up quickly and then ran upstairs, Ishi no Kiseki at hand.
"I sense something very powerful." Sakura said, looking around.
"I don't sense anything." Meeko said, trying to cover it up. "So, that was fast, you two. Done already?"
Syaoran frowned. "We were gone for 5 hours."
"Nani?" Meeko looked at the clock and it had indeed been 5 hours. "Weird."
"What's wrong, dear?" Sakura asked worriedly.
"On nande mo nai. (Nothing at all), gotta go!" Then she ran upstairs to meet her brother.
The parents exchanged glances. There was something those two weren't telling them…
Meeko got upstairs and closed the door.
"Can you come over?" She heard her brother ask.
"Sure, I'm on my way."
Makoto hung up.
"Who was that?" Meeko asked.
"Shinji. He's coming over. We're going to do the spell tonight." Came his reply.
Meeko nodded. Hang on Akiko…we're going to get you back no matter what.